Zebrakiller 02-Sep-14
NWO 03-Sep-14
Jim Leahy 10-Sep-14
Steve White 03-Oct-14
NWO 03-Oct-14
Steve White 03-Oct-14
Jeff in MN 04-Oct-14
14-May-14
It's official! The 2014 season is in full swing for us. 17 of our main baits are fired up and ACTIVE!!! A bunch more to get going in the next week here. Still a bit rough getting around the woods. Lots of standing water yet, and trees down. Only 3 baits lost so far due to logging.

The boars are even starting to mark up a few trees. Always exciting to see tooth marks over 6 feet in the air!!

For some reason there is a lot of extra garbage in the woods this year. My daughter has already brought home over a truck load of scrap metal even. Do the right thing if you can and grab a few pieces of trash while your out.

14-May-14
Wow, I thought it was just my area with more garbage. A few weeks ago my son and I loaded up my utility trailer with crap taken from public land. Most of it was garbage and tires.

02-Jun-14

Steve White's embedded Photo
Couple of the first pics of the year. Daughter set this camera, and I need to adjust it. Her, and mom have been running some of the baits. Eventually I will get all the cameras set right, but it dont matter much. They are trying and doing a good job anyway.

Both pics are I believe the same bear. This bait did have at least 3 different bear from what I could see on the chip. All shooters, but the pics are of one that needs to go. I would know his ugly face any where. It is our nemesis Growly!!

02-Jun-14

number 2

02-Jun-14
Very cool Steve, your passion for bears is great, I love seeing people get excited about hunting.

03-Jun-14
Folks, I forgot to mention that bear standing up. Was sniffing the sow in heat gel from BaitEm907.com! Great stuff along with all their other products!!!

03-Jun-14
Steve, where you have the upper arrow pointing to eyes, is that right? I would have thought the lower glowing "thing" was an eye?

03-Jun-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
Been watching this color phase bear since she was a cub, last year she had two cubs of her own, one must have succumbed over late Fall or Winter. This picture was taken just a few days ago from a friend of mine in his back yard and the bait station I captured her on last year is only about a 1/2 mile away. Glad to see she made it, she also has a brother who is the same color, but he is big, real big. Shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone lol

04-Jun-14
NWO, That's very cool!! Never seen a color phase around here!

Naz, Actually both white things I believe are bugs. In the original when blown up can see an eye. What you can see in the pic quite easily. At least I can in the post. Is between the white spots. You will see the light brown from his muzzle. Just a crappy picture though!!

04-Jul-14
What happened to all the cool bear pictures? No one getting any pic's or just not interested?

04-Jul-14

TrapperJack's embedded Photo
Just started putting the cameras on the baits. Had more cameras on deer but don't really show any off as that is not my thing. Here is one of 3 bears hitting one particular bait.

04-Jul-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
I have multiple big bear pictures and videos including this pig of a bear.

04-Jul-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
Same bear as above. Look at the size of that melon. This bear has been around for some time.

04-Jul-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
This bear is scary. looks like he ran into a train head on.

04-Jul-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo

04-Jul-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo

04-Jul-14
Very Cool!!!

05-Jul-14

Huntinguide's embedded Photo
Heres a few

05-Jul-14

another

05-Jul-14

another

05-Jul-14

lastone for now

05-Jul-14
Very cool pics everyone!!! Your guys love for bears & bear hunting is Great!! Good to see.

Silvrtip

05-Jul-14

06-Jul-14

stinky at home's embedded Photo
From my first trip to refill and check cameras. Best ones from each bait.

06-Jul-14

another of the same guy

06-Jul-14

the other one.

06-Jul-14

last one for now. Hopefully these guys stick around.

08-Jul-14

heres a few new ones

08-Jul-14

one more

15-Jul-14

15-Jul-14

15-Jul-14

He has an odd (weird) ear.

15-Jul-14

15-Jul-14

15-Jul-14
Thanks for posting guys! Very cool pictures...Keep em coming!!!!

15-Jul-14
+1 to bloodtrail as I agree 100%. Much appreciated posts and pics!

15-Jul-14
There are some serious slobs there! Keep at em!

24-Jul-14
Anyone else notice the lack of bees and hornets at their bait stations? Last year they were swarming the baits and this year I have not had one yet.

24-Jul-14
I just started a week ago and havent seen anything yet! Trapper - let's hope we have a low count this year! Last year was crazy with wasps!

24-Jul-14
Newb here and need help. 3 baits out, old hollow stumps, all getting hit by a dozen coons who burrow under and become diabetic. How do I stop the friggin coons from gettin the goodies from below? Thx Not a masturbater yet but would enjoy the label.:)

24-Jul-14
Couple of things NF. Some bury their stump halfway down and then pound small tree poles around the bait stump to prevent coon from digging (about 2-3" round). Others get a section of wood from a tree bigger then the stump and nail the bottom.(like a cover) Some say you can't use nails but every GW I talked to is ok with nails. They are more concerned with litter in plastic tubs,etc. I can post some pictures in about 2 days showing both ways if you don't understand what I;m saying. Got 3 baits out and all 3 are being hit and all have coon coming but unless a bear does not knock off the top with the rock they cannot get to the bait.

24-Jul-14
Thx TJ, that makes sense.

24-Jul-14
November I say let the coon hunters on your property :)

24-Jul-14
NF -

No need to even nail the log covers if you have one big enough. I place one on the bottom and the other on the top and "bingo - bango"...coon proof!

The key is the large rock on top of the bait log - heavier the better. The "flatter" the better. Ya get 4-6 coons rocking the bait log and bad things can happen!

No one should be using any processed material like OSB for "caps" - not allowed - yet we see that in some pictures posted on different sites. Concrete blocks are another "no-no." We see those as well in pictures posted on sites.

Good luck

25-Jul-14
True BT that OSB is not allowed in the rules. It is any 'processed' material. Wardens frown on the concrete blocks and other materials that do not break down or rot in the woods. Seen some with blocks and plastic tubs. I use a plywood cover on one until I find a log cover big enough to cover the top and it is ok with GW as long as it can rot and it is on my own land. Now need to find more bait as they have been hitting the baits more then last year.

25-Jul-14
I believe the rules need to be changed on private land - as it is private land and any mess would be the resposibility of the land owner. I guess the rule is in place so everyone is on the same page and no confusion perhaps.

25-Jul-14
BT, I agree. I have no less then 6 dumps on my place created by the previous landowners. I now pick one each spring and we clean it out and haul it away. Front axles, washing machines,stoves, 100 feet of dairy barn conveyor belt, pots,pans,cans,oil cans, rolls of barbed wire,ect.We still pickup old cans of Hamms/Blatz beer cans thrown in the woods.Private lands would not trash their own place.

26-Jul-14
FYI, Spoke with the local warden this morning and He is ok with a base being nailed or wood screwed in on private property. Very nice.

10-Aug-14

heres a few new pics

10-Aug-14

another

10-Aug-14

last one

10-Aug-14
That is a whopper huntinguide!

10-Aug-14
Holy crap NWO take the one eyed monster! Huntingguide, that is one big bear!

11-Aug-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link
With all the bugs so far this year I may have my clients try this. I sent it to them ( email ) to try it out now,,, I will also. If it works it will be better the thermacell or deet. I'm a scent freak at camp.

11-Aug-14
Huntingguide, what a Pig of a bear, hope some lucky hunter gets to put his tag on him.

11-Aug-14
Nice bear pics. I've switched to video and can't seem to post them here.

arrow1, I'm not sure I understand the point of using the vanilla instead of the thermacell or even deet. All of them have an odor of some kind. Just wondering the reason for the vanilla instead of something else.

11-Aug-14

This one has been coming in at all different hours but at least it is during daylight hours. Been noticing a slack in the bears coming to the baits on a daily basis but then the sweet corn fields around us have been riping.

11-Aug-14
Vanilla is a common starting and cover scent for many bear hunters. Much more common for the bear if being used at the bait when used for bug repellent "if it works". Thermacell and deet are not food attractants

11-Aug-14
Vanilla, Anise, Liquid Smoke and all the other favorites. You could bathe in the stuff, wash your cloths in it, it will help to a certain point, maybe enough to get the drop on a less educated bear. But those monster well educated bears that's another story, they will dissect those inviting smells and within seconds will sort out that there is also danger (human smell). No matter how hard you try to cover your scent, if a bear gets down wind of you he is going to smell you, period. Maybe the Thermacell folks should invent a flavored filters for it.

11-Aug-14
No - thermocell and deet are not bear attractants. However - you can, over time, condition most bears to the scent by spraying bug repellant at the bait site. I do it everytime I bait. It's not an unnatural smell to the bears now and they are quite familiar with it.

I agree with NWO in that you'll never completely fool a bears nose. However - I do believe you can condition a good number of bears to different scents -even your own, which in anyway means danger to any bear!

However, after smelling human scents in varying degrees of freshness, I believe bears become conditioned to that as nothing has happened to them at this site over many visits. Not all bears mind you will take to conditioning because in hunting, as we all know....there are no absolutes!

Quite a few hunters will debate if a bear knows your present at the site or not. Some say that the bear knows when and if your there. Maybe so?

12-Aug-14
I don't think its that the bear knows you are there its that they know some things out of place. They know scent on the ground VS up high, they are problem solvers and will eventually figure it out. They are creatures of habit that's why after they get used to "your" scent after baiting time and time again they realize your there just to feed them. A New human scent or a scent that all of a sudden is there that wasn't before they will treat it with caution.

12-Aug-14
You can try and play the wind all you want and you should as much as possible but a bear circles a bait many times before coming in. He will also sit very close to the bait and will listen for anything that is unusual. I have learned over the 40 yrs a few tricks to combat the odors both body and breath. I don't worry a great deal about the wind direction but do keep it in mind when starting new baits. IMO noise (even the small ticks of a stand ect,) are more detrimental then wind direction and some small amount of human odor.

12-Aug-14
"IMO noise (even the small ticks of a stand ect,) are more detrimental then wind direction and some small amount of human odor."

Couldn't agree more. Same with deer. My success (in terms of sightings, close encounters, and kills) increased drastically when I switched to home made solid welded hang on stands many years ago. In a few situations where I have to carry in for a short duration hunt I still use a lightweight aluminum hang on and I can tell the difference.

12-Aug-14
Great picture Hunting Guide- we will be reading about that one if a hunter gets it. For scent I use a combination of Goldrush and vanilla-in a spray bottle-- I spray it everytime I bait and also when I put hunters in-- its a good cover-up-- but not 100% The worst thing a hunter can do besides not being clean is to change up on the scent after I have them conditioned with my spray bottle. It alerts them and puts them on guard. My stands on private land are up in June-the bear get used to them. On public land I prefer climbing stands if the tress allow or a hang on- no ladders unless its a rifle hunter set up 60 plus yards out.

12-Aug-14
""On public land I prefer climbing stands if the tress allow"" I will not allow climbing stands because of the noise at the end of hunting hours.

13-Aug-14

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo

13-Aug-14
They (Climbers)are a little noisy- ladder stands are also when you have to take them apart to get them out of the woods and the bulky stand hits brush on the way out. My experience with them for bear bow hunting is the sudden close setup looks out of place and the bear always check them out. Once they are used to them they can care less- but on public they dont get a chance for that since you can't leave them overnight. It would be nice to be able to leave them overnight for a few days on State and Federal. In Sawyer County regarding the County land there is a fairly new law (2013) that after Sept 1st- you can leave them overnight with your name and address on the stand.This only applys to Sawyer County land. Thats a good law, but some would argue its taking control of an area and they would have a good point on that. It also keeps the noise intrusion down and its nice for the hunters who have taken the time to scout and drag a stand in for a somewhat quality hunt on public land.

13-Aug-14
Jim - As far as stands - my point exactly. However - there are many here that think being allowed to leave a stand in the woods is simply a terrible idea and the Red Sea will come falling in on all crossing!

Get rid of backtags - allow stands to be placed in the woods - life will be good!

13-Aug-14
I guess the areas I hunt dont have that pressure so I wouldn't know about the red sea of hunters and I'm glad I dont have to worry about it. We have 10's of thousands of State,County and federal land here in Sawyer County that gets very little pressure- away from the blacktop that is. I have talked to hunters in the Black River area and public spots in central Wisconsin- that are the Orange sea already. I like the fact that I can bear bait on a few smaller county spots here and place a stand on Sept 1st and not worry about it disappearing. If I was worried about the stand, a chain and lock would help with that. Thats why hunting the North, even with less deer is appealing to some serious hunters who hunt public up here. Lots of spots- the farther you walk in the less competition there is.

13-Aug-14
Apparently your County allows stands on public land in Sawyer? If so, that is outstanding!

Your issue that I dont have to deal with (at least during the hunt) is the hounders! Unless baiters go first and that's only limited.

My baits now are in non-dog friendly areas close to highways that hounders do not want to train their dogs and righfully so - it's dangerous.

Im not slamming hounders! I just think that running the bears during baiting effects the bears and having pictures of hounds at my bait mid-day is a tad frustrating!

It's all public land and everyone who abides by the rules can enjoy it.

Your wait for a tag in Sawyer - has to be pretty long!

13-Aug-14
Blood Trail- Yes Sawyer County does allow stands to be set on County lands after Sept 1st-- until Jan 1st I beleive. Name and address must be on the stand. The hound hunting here is spretty much on the bigger chunks-most hound hunters dont even think of letting dogs out unless they have 1200 plus acres and that would be tight. My spots are typical 600 acres or less to avoid any conflicts. Zone D or A is a typical 8 point wait. I take out 16 hunters yearly-8 (A) and 8 (D) so I get in on the bear hunt every year and really enjoy it! Most of my baits are on private land - but some of my baits are on public on small tracts.I havent had any hound issues and so far nothing that effected me or my hunters on public land.Its best to do what you do- avoiding areas the hound hunters will be in- why compete if you dont have to. Some of my best spots are off of blacktop with big backyards- let them come to you.

13-Aug-14
Baits along blacktop on public land in Minnesota is a gold mine locations for bear baits. Even without considering the dog issue which does not exist there. Add in the concern about dogs in WI as Jim says makes those places even better. Berry pickers are about the only people you might encounter there. Grouse hunters don't hit those areas much, bears are used to the road noise, easy to sneak in using road noise for cover, automatic 'natural' barrier that pretty much prevents bears approaching the bait from the road direction. i.e. Select the location based on the wind you want and set your stand on the road side of the bait and you are not very likely to be busted by scent. More pluses, no need for a 4 wheeler, short drag to your truck. One suggestion, try to have someone drop you off so your truck being parked there does not draw attention.

13-Aug-14
Can anyone recommend a good place for bear or waterfall taxidermy work? I searched of shops a lot but haven't been impressed with too many.

14-Aug-14

TrapperJack's Link
For us it is no one but Bucky's in Grafton, WI. Beautiful mounts.

14-Aug-14

JR1984's embedded Photo
JR1984's embedded Photo
Hey guys, what's your guess on the live weight of this bear?

14-Aug-14

JR1984's embedded Photo
JR1984's embedded Photo
Another pic

14-Aug-14

JR1984's embedded Photo
JR1984's embedded Photo

14-Aug-14
Around 300#

14-Aug-14

JR1984's embedded Photo
JR1984's embedded Photo
I wonder if this is the same bear. On this pic he looks to have a nice gut on him

14-Aug-14

JR1984's embedded Photo
JR1984's embedded Photo
Of all these pics I just posted, do you think this is the same bear?

14-Aug-14
You guys sure have some dandies around. There are going to be some happy hunters this fall!

14-Aug-14
Our group has a whopper coming in. Our guess is he's near 600# this year. He ended the season of a few of good dogs the last two years but hopefully we can catch up to this giant this year without any issues.

15-Aug-14
Hard to tell but I think those could be two different bears.

In agree, around 300#, maybe a little more on both of them. (if they really are two bears, more pics should eventually show some difference between them)

15-Aug-14
My Son is in his last undergrad 3 week class outside of Colquet,Mn. Each team of 4 students gets 2 culvert bear traps on trailers to bait. He went to walmart, anysth spray, frozen fish, raw bacon, bacon grease, granola, a bunch of stale rasberry filled donuts, bread and maple syrup.Once caught they tranq, radio collar, blood, weight,sex and let them go. The Mn. DNR biologist said big old bears only get trapped once in his 23 years of doing it. Deer? His record was the same nub buck trapped 23 times a few years back. They tracked gps bears last nite. Next week is shocking fish at Itasca.

15-Aug-14
Good that they will be letting the bears alone now with baiting about to start there.

17-Aug-14

Kind of cool Pic.

17-Aug-14
That is a cool picture.

17-Aug-14
I have a nice boar on this bait. 10 min later he was there on camera.

17-Aug-14
No wonder why mamma is keeping an eye out for danger

17-Aug-14

And this is one reason we don't have deer in the north !!!!! Just think they reduced the tags this year.

17-Aug-14

Gusto's embedded Photo
Gusto's embedded Photo
Some Nice Pics! Here some I have of a couple wrestling at the bait!

17-Aug-14

Gusto's embedded Photo
Gusto's embedded Photo
another...

17-Aug-14

Gusto's embedded Photo
Gusto's embedded Photo
Playing PattyCake

17-Aug-14
Has anyone noticed the bait hits slowing down yet? I had a few really nice bears hitting early, and now it seems they aren't hitting as regular. Baits are still getting hit and cleaned out, but the last week or so seems more sporadic on when they are hitting, and it seems smaller bears.

18-Aug-14

A little snooze after supper.

18-Aug-14
I had one bait not hit yesterday and two that were not cleaned up. That was the first time this season. Heavy with wolves in that area that could be the reason.

18-Aug-14
Gusto, My baits are not being hit as hard or regular as before (Portage Co.). Around here the sweet corn crop is at it's peak so that could be part of it plus berries are also at their peak and bear droppings are filled with seeds.

18-Aug-14
My baits are getting cleaned up every day. Will be interesting with the baits near corn fields for us (Northern Bayfield County) once the milking stage hits.

18-Aug-14
Sorry guys for not posting hardly. Trying hard to keep a low profile on all social media. Due to all the illegal activity this year. Don't want to thwart any law enforcement investigations by being active. 8 cameras stolen, 5 chips stole, 6 baits gassed, multiple baits having garbage thrown on them regularly. Just a real pain in the butt!!! A lot is just one guy we are sure, but have to catch him. Hopefully the law catches him!!

Would be real nice if they would allow stands over bear baits on public land. The old argument of people claiming a spot just don't hold water. Since we are basically claiming a spot with a bear bait. So why not allow a stand to be placed there. I suppose though. Some will try to place them and claim it is ver a bear bait. Still it will be very obvious if it is a active bear bait or not. Wont stop some from trying it I suppose Really if someone wants to go through the effort to put a deer stand in over a so called bear bait. Let them have at it. They will so realize all the work to maintain a bear bait is not worth the effort. Really how many people are going to try to hunt over someone else's bear bait. Bet that would go over better than a fart in church!!

18-Aug-14
Thanks for the info. My baits are getting cleaned out, just seems like the bigger bears aren't hitting as frequently. Smaller bears are showing regularly still.

18-Aug-14

18-Aug-14

Nap time for this guy!

18-Aug-14
Couple questions:

1. How tall is a 200 lb bear at the shoulder 'on average' (when he is all 4's)? (I'm terrible at field judging bears, and this year is only my second year going)

2. I got my hands on two big flats of cherries (actual cherries with stems and pits, not maraschnino cherries)...put them in my freezer yesterday...would the bear eat these?

18-Aug-14

Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
Nice picture Arrow- to many wolf. Here is a picture of a sow-fresh with filled breast-no cubs. I found three fresh wolf tracks on the road leading to the bait- less than 1/4 mile from my bait- maybe the wolfs got them or possible the big boar on the bait?

18-Aug-14

Another picture-same bait

18-Aug-14

Another picture-same bait

18-Aug-14
Arrow - How big is that stiump with the pictures of the wolves - it looks as big as a VW!!

18-Aug-14
This stump is just shy of 3 ft. It took 2 of us to carry it in on a pole.

19-Aug-14
Steve-- to bad about the harassment on the baits and cameras-- I have a little of that each year- but its mostly a random thing when A one in 8 year bear hunter gets a tag and decides to take out the competition. I dont understand that since a few baits in a couple square miles is actually a good thing. I have one bait that was tampered with- it stopped getting hit after something was poured onit-bleach I think. I moved it back 150 ft and havent had any more trouble after putting a dummy broken camera on the old bait like Im still using it. I approach the new one from a different dirrection and flagged a path to the old one like I'm using it still.With 26 baits out that is the only issue I have had this year-so far. I suppose your getting it more because you hound hunt and some people have strong opinions on that- but its no excuse to be illegal and harass- hope you catch the guy.

19-Aug-14

19-Aug-14

19-Aug-14

19-Aug-14

19-Aug-14
Those are crazy photos

19-Aug-14
I had a 500 # bear at this bait he is now gone, The good news is he showed up 5 miles away.

19-Aug-14

19-Aug-14
Enjoying the neat pictures - good job guys!

22-Aug-14

This is a good shooter , hitting in day light hours.

22-Aug-14
You bet Jim! Nice...

23-Aug-14
I have seen alot of berry pits in the bear scat - lately. Yesterday I spoke with our local warden and we did some dung disecting! At first I was sure this was blackberry pits in the poop!

He thought they were buckthorne pits!

I checked today on the buckthorne...he was right!

I didn't know bears ate buckthorne berries!

25-Aug-14
Anyone else notice during this heat and humid times that bears are coming less into the baits until the night time of every 2 or 3 days. Baits are still getting hit but less during this heat.

25-Aug-14
There was about three inches of rain last week in the area where I am baiting. Seemed like early in the week that combine with the heat kept the hits at night. Early last week seemed more spotty with the rain, later in the week it seemed baits were hit more, but in the evening right before dark.

I had my Moultrie cam on plot watch time lapse feature... Man does that make one realize how long you really do go between hits....hours and hours of nothing before the bears show sometimes....

25-Aug-14
Down to just 2 baits now, third had a smaller bear and I thought I would let him go and grow...and save some bait in the meantime.

Knock on wood, baits getting hit every day now and I had a big one in at 1:30 today! Camera didnt work as I set it too high, just got a portion of his massive head.

My blaze bear came about 8:40 last night and he's a shooter as well.

Acorns falling like rain in some spots, damn hope everyone's luck holds out - bad time of the year for us hunters! Lotsa berries and akerns!

26-Aug-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
This is what I call Hell Week, its only Tuesday and I am already exhausted, switching cameras up as much as possible to see what's coming in, got another load of bear bait 37 barrels on Saturday. Lost another stand the other day, land owners wife passed about a 1 1/2 years ago and land was given to step son and daughter, which they are battling against one another for some easement issue. Wish I would have known that I would have never considered putting a bear bait there. Good Luck everyone.

26-Aug-14
Gosh...and I thought I had problems...good luck NWO and the rest of you!

26-Aug-14

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Stumbeled across the front paw print of one of my bait station guests yesterday - I'd say he's a good one!

26-Aug-14
Holy shit Bloodtrail, I didn't think we had grizzles up here, geeze that is one big track.

27-Aug-14
Apparently these big boys had plenty of fawns to eat! Great pictures.

29-Aug-14
Man I figured this thread would be blazing about now!

Down to 2 baits and both hit - spicing up the baits now with some jams and jellies along with some BIG marshmellows hoping to keep their interest!

Acorns falling like rain and berries in season - baits could go cold any day - hanging in there yet!

What's happening with the rest of you?

29-Aug-14
2 of 3 baits are being hit late afternoon/early evening or just after dark. Warm weather has the bears lying low until the cool of the evening. Have the cameras off the baits now since I have a good idea of what is coming in and when. Just have to get this work weekend done then ready for Wednesday!

29-Aug-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
Baits are getting pounded. baits are getting hit at all times of the day. Was all set to bait this AM but mother nature had other ideas, was pounded by rain, didn't bait. Choke cherries are 3/4 done, most other berries are all gone, very few acorns. Lost another bait station to loggers, I new it was marked and thought it was scheduled for next year, they aren't cutting yet just bulldozing roads for the borders, maybe I will luck out and they will not cut until later.

29-Aug-14
Still have cameras out and I check them daily - my biggest bear is at 1:30 PM - 4:45 PM and then just before and after dark! My blaze has been kind late and yesterday 7:15 he showed up!

I gotta tell ya - not to excited about the walk back to the truck if he doesnt show at the bait before dark!

Problem with two baits is if ya sit the wrong one - you have to look at the camera card to see what you missed - hate that!

I always choose wrong!

30-Aug-14
This past week I had seen 2 bears, all about average size, and they are down to bait routines.

However, I was walking down to a stream, on Wed nite, about 6:30pm, and I said to myself, who left a car down here at the end of this road......

You guessed it, this bear was the size of a Volkswagon, in between alot of baits, in this area, which is very popular.......

Someone might get lucky...... Good luck to all of you lucky tag holders.........

One more thing,,,,,,, With our poplulation, do not let a tag go to waste...... Save a fawn, shoot a bear

30-Aug-14
Rain here the last couple days - very hard last night!

Good Luck all!

30-Aug-14
Rain here the last couple days - very hard last night!

Good Luck all!

30-Aug-14
Rain in my area as well. Haven't checked cams since last Sat. The person baiting for me during the week was sick, so only got Tues and Friday baits run during the week. I'm going to run baits tomorrow morning and check cams . Will maybe run up Mon as well. Baits have been cleaned out each time though .

30-Aug-14

Not my first choice, but sure would be happy with this ole' boy!

02-Sep-14
To all hunters both gun and bow, good luck out there tomorrow. Be careful and if you connect take care of that bear cause it will be warm out. Make sure to dress it right away and get it cooled down. If possible get it to a locker or hanging cooler. If not consider skinning it and taking off as much fat as possible because even when dressed out the hide and fat can retain a lot of body heat and spoil your meat very quickly. Last...let's see some harvest pictures!

02-Sep-14

Pretty Pic

02-Sep-14
good luck everyone!

03-Sep-14

NWO's embedded Photo
NWO's embedded Photo
This is it, all the hard work, baiting, many hours logged etc. Now its up to Mother Nature and the hunters. Good luck to you all. NWO

10-Sep-14

Bad weather the first few days of season slowed the hunt- but it went wild after that- we took 14 bear in 4 nights- top 4 bear were 420,355,312 and 255# (all live weights)at 18% after field dress- the rest of them went between 120#and up to 200#. Oldest hunter age 80 shot the 355# had two 15 year olds who each shot a bear. All but 2 hunters of 18 had an opportunity. Still have two coming back next weekend. Pictured is the 420#

03-Oct-14
This season has been such a bummer with the weather. Don't know how much rain we have had, but it has been a lot. It makes it rough regardless of how you hunt.

Started raining here about 8 pm and at 5 am has yet to stop!!! I have a disabled kid here right now. Today is his last day before heading back to Alabama. This makes 3 of 5 days we have had to deal with rain. On those days without rain we found a few bear, but they were from crazy town. Running like thier butts on fire! Eventually ending up in private lands where I had to end the hunt. After 14 baits of nothing yesterday. Suddenly dropped an alternator ending the day. Not sure what the last few held yet, but with the rain have my doubts they were hit either.

Well it's time now to put on my happy face. Take the kid for another drive in the woods. I will remain positive and upbeat. Just for the kids sake. Maybe we will get real lucky today. Just a bit bummed to start!!

03-Oct-14
Good luck Steve hope the kid gets his chance.

03-Oct-14
We never got to hunt today. Checked the first bait and got a dreaded phone call. My daughter's dog had been killed by a car. No choice but to go home. Was willing to go back out after dealing with things. The kids father also a dog owner. Decided it was best for them to head out, and let us grieve. I can tell you this. I will be drawing a tag in the next year or so. No doubt where that tag will be going now!!

04-Oct-14
I was out scouting for wolf yesterday (yes while it was snowing) and came across 3 bear bait sites. One looked like it hadn't been refreshed in a while but had plywood fastened to one end of the hollow log. One was hit and still had a little bait in it. The third was two hollow logs high and not disturbed. Sand freshly raked. There are some die hard hunters sticking it out through these last few days.

Good luck to all that are still hunting them.

• Sitka Gear