Lightning 26-May-14
toehead 26-May-14
John Ryan 28-May-14
Lightning 28-May-14
Woodswise work 02-Jun-14
Bowme2 12-Jun-14
Lightning 09-Oct-14
26-May-14
I would like to know who has encounter such a situation as this and what you did about or what you think I should do. In November of 2012 my 12 year old son shot a decent 9 pointer with his .243 which I decided to get mounted. The problem is that at this time I still can't get it back from the local taxidermist we took it to. I don't want to mention names because that's not really what this is about.

Some time after it was supposed to be finished we were told he can't work on it because he broke his back. Then he kept saying he just needs 8 more weeks. Finally, around February I said we need it back finished or not. So he said he'd get it done in 8 weeks and it would be done free. I don't really feel right about getting it free if it really gets done, but now I've called him again and not gotten a call back.

I'm the meantime my son got another 9 pointer which we took somewhere else recommended by the first guy and already got it back.

Who knows if I should continue to wait, or demand it back. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and feel that he's either able to complete the work or not, and it able then either willing or not. In either case if its not getting done I need to take it elsewhere.

26-May-14
I'd request the antlers back

28-May-14
Several years ago, I had a similar problem. I let the guy keep my deer 4 years. Yes, believe it or not, I did, as I was in no hurry. The guy was a friend and kept saying that he was terribly busy with his regular job, plus his taxidermy work. He kept giving me excuses. Finally, I just went to his house and picked it up. It was a bit tense, but I got it back without any serious issues. And to top it off, he charged me a fleshing fee for the initial work. I paid it just to get the hide and antlers back. I took it to another recommended taxidermist and the mount cam out very nice. So my advice would be to go get it as I did.

28-May-14
Thanks for the responses. That's about what I figured. If it were my deer I'd be inclined to be more patient..,,maybe. But, I've also got to think about setting the example of how to handle things properly for my son. So, I'm going to contact him and get it back.

02-Jun-14
Don't take any excuses and don't call and make arrangements to go get it. Just show up at his shop and demand it back.

12-Jun-14
Woodswise has a good point! If you live close enough to "drop in", then do it! I had a fella out in Western Oklahoma I took my first bow killed Elk to get it skull mounted. He jacked me around for almost 1yr and 4 months (he said 3-4 months) and the excuses were getting old! So, I just dropped by one day on my way out West to get it. He was surprised to see me! He made a bunch of excuses why the jaw was broke and the skull was cracked, saying the bull must have been a "fighter". BS! A little scrub 4x4 is not gonna be banging it up.

Problem was... He left it in his mass boiling tank and either forgot about it or boiled WAY too long. The antlers were brown when I took it to him. They were white and chalky when I showed up to get it. The antlers (cut off) now sit out under my back porch. Not how I wanted to remember my first bull.

I hope you get your boys deer back. Best of luck!

09-Oct-14

Lightning's embedded Photo
Lightning's embedded Photo
I am pleased to report that after switching to a different taxidermist it is ready for pickup and my son will have it tomorrow. Just a month short of two years since he shot it. Thanks everyone.

• Sitka Gear