Bullwinkle 11-Jul-14
glunker 11-Jul-14
Bullwinkle 11-Jul-14
ELK ELSEWHERE 11-Jul-14
TrapperJack 12-Jul-14
thesquid 12-Jul-14
Amoebus 13-Jul-14
14-Jun-14
My outfitter called last night to get to know me. Spent an hour or so on the phone. Great guy, cool sign I picked a good camp. Never had a guide do this before.

Last year they got 8/11 and everyone got a shot. Booked solid with repeat customers till '17. More great signs

I can shoot well to 60 yards. Anyone been moose hunting? Any advice for a first timer?

14-Jun-14
Pick a GOOD outfitter. I went three times before ever getting one in bow range. The cheaper ones often do not a good job.

14-Jun-14
I don't have 50" aspirations. Just want to check the box on the bucket list. This outfitter is known for high success. Thus the waiting list.

You dont know till you experience it but it feels like I got a good one right now

14-Jun-14
Went last week of sept wy 2000 moose were getting rutty seen four bulls first day Calling worked great 2nd morning shot 38 incher DIY Was off up in the trees could badly hear his response took ten minutes to show himself came across 300 yds of open meadow stop 50 yds away and thrashed some small group of trees came around the small clump stood broadside at 30 yards Next year two buddies went and took two nice ones one missed p&y by one inch Calling last week sept first week oct was the ticket then and there

14-Jun-14
Bullwinkle, having a guy take the time to do that is definitely a good indication of someone who cares about his job. Many things can and have gone wrong on hunts between a hunter and his guide. This fellow is taking the time to learn a bit about you as well as letting you learn a bit about him.

I've only killed one moose with my bow but my only advice would be to work for a good 20 yard shot and forget about a 60 yarder. Sure it can and has been done but a moose is a big animal and they sometimes inhabit areas that are not real conducive to skinning and cutting a big animal. Don't push a marginal shot, sounds like you'll have fairly high odds of getting a good shot with this guy. Good Luck!!

14-Jun-14
Please share the name of the guide service. A moose hunt is something I've thought about for a long time. I shoot 63 lbs. Is that enough?

14-Jun-14
10, I videoed a buddy shooting an eland with his 59 pound bow. The PH told us not to worry about the cow behind it as he was sure the arrow would not fully penetrate. Luckily, that arrow stopped with more than half the shaft sticking out the opposite shoulder. My point being that eland was 1,850 pounds, bigger than a moose. If your 63 pound bow shoots even moderately fast, it is all you'll need, assuming a well placed arrow.

15-Jun-14
I took a 66 inch in the Yukon with a .270.Stupid easy hunt. My best friend is going to Northern BC with the #1 bow moose guide in the world on 9/24. Our 3d buddie here in so. cal missed the world record buy 1 inch with this guide.The same guy drew a Bighorn sheep tag 2 years ago for Palm Springs(San Gragornio mt.) and missed the world record PY ram by 3/8ths.I didn't draw again last week, 30 years of applying. 15k plus transportation for the moose hunt in BC. He takes 4 bow hunters per year.He has the new world record located.

Advice? Good ankle fit rubber boots. Rangefinder, fb broadhead, be able to hit a pie plate at 50 yards just like an elk hunt prep. Moose meat is hands down the best wildgame. Enjoy.

15-Jun-14
58 pounds and a 36 yard shot. First and only moose. Going again in 2015.

15-Jun-14
Thanks guys. My hunt starts 9/20. Fly into Edmonton Alberta. This is a public land cheap hunt but is known for filling tags. The guy has a 2-3 year waiting list of repeat customers. He asked us no to share is contact info since he is always filled up - another pretty cool sign

15-Jun-14
"He has the new world record located." Wow, they must grow big antlers really early in the year in that part of BC. ;-)

15-Jun-14
"He asked us no to share is contact info since he is always filled up - another pretty cool sign"

Yes, quite the dark and mysterious guide I'm thinking! How did you find him? An apparition perhaps? All this talk about "signs" is gettin' a little spooky! :^)

Im thinking if he never tells anyone, he's filled up all the time...how did Mr. Bullwinkle find out about this guide. Hmmmmm...a tad suspicious I'd say!

Jeff - Not sure how that new world record thing is working for November either - interesting! :^)

15-Jun-14
"He has the new world record located." Wow, they must grow big antlers really early in the year in that part of BC. ;-)

The guide found it last fall on his last hunters trip. The hunter missed him and took a lesser bull. The guide then filmed and watched him. WR's are hardly ever a surprise/chance hunt. A famous archers WR Coues deer and the WR Elk were well known local critters, glassed, scored and rescored well before the hunter or his arrows were ever in the state.

15-Jun-14
Bull,, I hunted moose last year and was warned about the air lines losing my gear. Yup It happened first my bow on the way up which cost me a couple of days hunting and then my luggage on the way back. I also went cougar hunting last year but sent my bow Ups which was cheaper then flying it and I could track the bow to the outfitters home. If you are flying you may want to Ups your bow.

Get good rain gear ! NOT FROGG TOGGS they will rip up. A good rubber knee high boot is a must along with a bug head net.

Your shots should be under 30yds if calling. Walk a lot with about a 25# back pack. this will get your back muscles in shape. Do a lot of walking in areas that are marshy and boggy.

Shot placement is everything ! Wait for a broadside or angling away be patient when calling for the shot it will come. Shoot a lot kneeling down this summer. Practice all the way from 10yds to what you are comfortable with.

Moose can't see very well so cover is not real important but do your best to conceal.

Best of Luck ! >>>--->

15-Jun-14
Is NFE (NovemberForEver) baiting this post?

Sure smells like it!

15-Jun-14
Blood - what's even more amazing it is only $5K

Who knows I could be going for a bs ride. I vetted him out, references were great?

15-Jun-14

Novemberforever's Link
Jim Shockey's moose hunt is $19,500 plus tip, and trophy transport, taxidermy. Ouch, that's painful.

15-Jun-14
What's NFE? I don't get this one

Over $10K for a hunt is too pricy for me (except grizzly I might make an exception)

15-Jun-14
An Ontario Moose Hunt would be enough for me. Just taking one would be awesome. Anyone have info on hunting moose in Ontario? Pros,cons?

15-Jun-14
HC, Please explain what "baiting" a thread means.I added factual info to a thread. Baiting?

15-Jun-14
10-if you do Ontario go way north. Hunted with a guy from this site near Upsala for 10 days. Could have sat in the driveway and saw the same number of moose. Area was shot out because the locals could drive there.

15-Jun-14
Cow, I'm not surprised by what you wrote. I've heard that before. So, where is the best place to hunt moose without having to worry about dealing with grizzlies? Had one encounter with a grizzly years ago, and would not hunt anywhere near them. In my mind it is like hunting in a mass murders backyard.

15-Jun-14
While the moose are not particularly big, Newfoundland has a very high population of moose and no predators.

15-Jun-14
November, I kind of figured that new world record was located last fall. Just seemed humorous given that the antlers wouldn't be much right now. Also, a lot could happen to that bull between last fall and this fall regarding antler development, if he is even still alive. If he is, some hunter could end up very happy.

16-Jun-14

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
Just got my affordable moose back from taxidermist. But had to get lucky, 1% odds to draw a hunt in the states, New Hampshire. Tag was like $500, gas $1,000, campsite $300, extraction service $500, meat processor $500, taxidermist $1,200 = $4,000 He is 53 1/2" wide. I am glad I got him so I can take an Alaskan hunt off my wish list. Could not afford to go that route. I really don't think it's necessary for any trophy room to have more than one of these, but I have 16 points in Maine so expect I'll draw some day.

16-Jun-14
Zim - awesome bull. Great adventure.

My aspirations are so much lower. I think the legal limit is 4" on one side. Probably be a 15-20" bull. If it's legal, I am loosening an arrow

16-Jun-14
Zim, great job and DIY makes it even more fulfilling. An extraction service, who would have thunk they exist but probably worth every penny on that big boy.

16-Jun-14

Zim1's embedded Photo
Zim1's embedded Photo
"An extraction service, who would have thunk they exist but probably worth every penny on that big boy."

Yes, this was a key part of my DIY adventure. Few people learn this, since so few northeast tags are issued, but they have a weird tradition up there. They used to have a requirement to get all moose out whole. So 90% of hunters still to this day drive around with winches & hundreds of feet of rope in the bed of their trucks. But there are other methods. Most ATV's can't drag an 800# critter out of a thick timber cut. Argos are used by some outfitters. If you get lucky like me, you find a logger nearby with a skidder and this is the easiest method. My first extractor tried to use a chain saw winch and ended up in the hospital. Long story! But the logger came to my rescue with his wife & two sons at midnight, from a Halloween party. We all held lanterns since his skidder had no lights. Part of this unique adventure. He never even asked about money. I just knew extractors there charge about $300 so I doubled it. (He had also tipped me where this toad hung out). The moose field dressed at 780#.

I have boned out and backpacked elk before, but this would not have been too practical given the size, and my aged back.

16-Jun-14
Zim1 that picture is great but the little story is greater! Would love to hear about it in detail if you ever get a chance. Nice bull also!

16-Jun-14
Maine moose lottery was Sat. and I did not draw. No surprise there. Tags were cut back this year by 25%

16-Jun-14
Sixteen preference points for a Shiras in WY. Will probably do that one next year.

16-Jun-14
CaptMike, Beware where you apply. The hunter app services were totally wrong about my unit 20. It was devastated by wolves.

16-Jun-14
Bullwinkle - Go have a great hunt...... I did not get married until I was 35..... After my service, I worked for the Div of Forestry in Calif,,,,,, for 6 months of the year, than went hunting..........

I shot a stone sheep, 3 bears, before I ever killed a deer with a bow, not including the exotics on Catalina Island, off of the south Calif coast.......

I shot moose both in BC and in Ontario..... My only regret was not hunting Alaska, and the cost is beyond my means today, I would rather buy another 40 in the UP........

Moose meat is the best, no question....... I am going to go on another moose hunt in 2016, but would like to find a partner,

go have a great hunt....... If I had the money, I would hunt moose every year, its a better hunt than elk, in my opinion....... Its not an easy hunt, but in BC the odds are WAY up..........

Today if I was to hunt Ontario, I would go quite away north in that territory........

I would think you and November Forever, could do a few hunts, you sound like some guys of means,,,, go hunt moose its the best,,,,,

I hope you have a great hunt, please post the pics... shoot straight and keep em sharp

16-Jun-14
Thanks for the well wishes razor. You and November are way ahead of me. My scorecard with a bow is:

Multiple deer in WI, MI, TX

Two Canadian black bears

Two CO elk

2 WI coyotes.

Hope to do a little catch up before I run out of time. This year moose, next antelope. My wife gave me the ok for grizzly with a bow, that's my ultimate dream hunt. The $$$$ is the problem. Rooting for DOW 30,000.

16-Jun-14
Thanks Zim. I have a friend who lives in the Big Horns. We regularly see many more moose than we do elk. Last year there were only 2 bull tags available for the area. Nevertheless, it is a good suggestion and one I will remember to check before applying.

16-Jun-14

Novemberforever's Link
" My wife gave me the ok for grizzly with a bow, that's my ultimate dream hunt."

LOL Has she asked you to take out anymore life insurance recently? I was charged by a grizz at 15 with a .270, 450 miles by float from the nearest nurse. Anyone serious about quality out of state hunts needs to be building points and subscribe to huntin fools. It now takes 10 years for a great unit 4a AZ. bull elk hunt, 18 years for a great Co. elk unit,ect. Start now youngins.

17-Jun-14
Doing an Ontario moose hunt this coming October. Going with a gun but choose that route so I can bring my best hunting partner...my wife. She loves the outdoors and can't wait for the hunt plus maybe throw in a little walleye fishing.

28-Jun-14
Zim1, great moose and great story. Good to see at least you have photos to back up your story unlike another on here who has trophy kills but no field photos!!

28-Jun-14
nm

11-Jul-14

sandycolfax's Link
Did an Ontario hunt about 5 years ago. Went out of Howey Bay Resort on Red Lake. Did a fly in to Valhalla Lake. A great location since you have access to probably 8-10 lakes and 100's of thousands of acres from that location. Each lake had another boat and motor which was nice since you didn't have to portage a boat.

We didn't use a guide, which is fine if you have some experience in just finding good sign, etc.

We were in for 2 weeks and did not end up getting a moose between 4 of us, but did have a couple of chances. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate. The first 4-5 days was bluebird 80 degree days. Then the next 2-3 where very high winds (big lake was almost too rough to cross).

I will say though that the walleye fishing was outstanding. Never had a problem catching enough for lunch or dinner every day.

I'd go again, but not with two of the guys that went with. They could never get their lazy asses out of the rack.

11-Jul-14
My 60 yard pattern on Saturday. 7".

We are 9 weeks out and the excitement is starting to escalate

11-Jul-14

Bullwinkle's embedded Photo
Bullwinkle's embedded Photo

11-Jul-14
I hope you have a method to get the meat back since you are flying there. Not much reason to not bring it back unless you are a vegan. Classic mistake is a high chest hit on a moose as their hump makes the kill area look taller than what it is. Whereas an elk can easily make you as they come in, my experience is that a moose keeps coming. Med to heavy arrow with a good head and you are good to go. Expecting pics.

11-Jul-14
Shooting good tip kinetics with 29" arrows. Your advice on high hits is spot on. The guide told me the same thing

If I am lucky enough to get one, they freeze it for me and we buy coolers and put it in checked baggage. At least some of it. Hope I have that problem, hear the meat is awesome. Would love to have some to play with on the green egg.

11-Jul-14
Sandy, funny you mentioned Valhalla Lake, I hunted there several years ago. Got a nice Ontario bull on swampy end of lake. Walleyes, lake trout and moose tenderloin under the Northern Lights with Cuban cigars one night, one of my most fond memories of all time.

Been to some cool places and hunted a lot of animals, but that night on that cabin deck with good friends is in the top 5 all time for me. If you ever go back insist on going to Boreol (sp) Lake, much more moosey.

12-Jul-14
90 days to go before the wife and I head out to Ontario for our hunt. Can't wait to hear about your hunt Bullwinkle. Good Luck!!

12-Jul-14

"An Ontario Moose Hunt would be enough for me. Just taking one would be awesome. Anyone have info on hunting moose in Ontario? Pros,cons?" I went bear hunting in Ontario last year & the guide also does the moose - Dave is a great guy that knows his stuff - Red Lake, Howie Bay Resorts.

13-Jul-14
The 4 of us had 2 MN tags a decade ago and got 2 moose - theirs was a beautiful 49" and ours was 42". Theirs was 10.5 years old and ours was 4.5 years.

The taste of both was mild but the older one had the consistency of shoe leather. If I were doing it again, I would shoot the youngest legal one I could find.

At that time, we ground our burger in a hand grinder. 80lbs went through twice. We bought an electric grinder after that.

Good luck and I hope that you get some days without rain - that can make it a tough hunt.

• Sitka Gear