onX Maps
Deer Farms
West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
gobbler 18-Jun-14
gobbler 20-Jun-14
18-Jun-14
For those that have gotten the recent copy of the Voice you will notice a couple of articles of real life problems that can and have gone wrong with deer farms. Even in states where the Ag. Dept. Is in control it can come back and hit the DNR in the pocket book.( that means mine, yours, and our children's). Money spent cleaning up someone else's problems because of greed means less money available for game management, law enforcement, and the purchasing or leasing of more public hunting areas.

Why am I bringing this up again now? Is it because I'm bored and want to stir the pot to create controversy? While that might be a small part, the main reason is to stimulate people to read and understand the issues at play and if you run into your representatives this summer or fall talk to them and be well prepared to present a sound biological , economical, and political basis for your opposition to transferring the responsibility from the DNR to the Agriculture department. The more you understand the issues , the better you will be able to present an informative and professional case to them.

Thank You, Greg

20-Jun-14
In the current issue of Bowhunter magazine Dr. Dave Samuels reported back from the first multi-state, multi-discipline forum on whitetail deer sponsored by QDMA. Multiple hunting orginizations, as well as the DNR from 22 different states.

This was to discuss all the multiple current threats to whitetail deer and deer hunting. Multiple topics of hunter reqruitment, habitat loss, hunter access, coyotes etc. were discussed.

Deer farms and the risks associated with them were in the top 3 threats to deer and deer hunting of all 22 states DNR that were there.

It's time to quit burying our heads in the sand and hope it won't bother us is over. Each and every one of us should get informed and get involved with family, friends, local business , and politicians to stop it before it takes off here.

• Sitka Gear