M.P. 27-Jun-14
gobbler 27-Jun-14
Boothill 27-Jun-14
gobbler 27-Jun-14
babysaph 28-Jun-14
babysaph 28-Jun-14
babysaph 28-Jun-14
25-Jun-14
Watch and read the news in the next week or so, there may be some troubling news regarding the DNR.

26-Jun-14
Like??

26-Jun-14
I already told you guys about that several months ago.

26-Jun-14
No, this just happenned last week.

WV DEP fined the WVDNR 92 thousand dollars for water pollution at 2 state trout hatcheries. One at Franklin and one at Edray. The DNR had been warned twice in the last 6 years.

From what I understand the warnings and possible solutions were not acted upon at the top level.

It's just embarrassing that the DNR which is supposed to help protect our resources continued to pollute despite 2 warnings. All this in light of the massive pollution in Charleston this past winter.

26-Jun-14
And the DNR is going to pay this how?

26-Jun-14
Trout stamps?

All kidding aside, there are some great people that work at the DNR but when they're not allowed to do their jobs credibility is lost.

Once credibility is lost, it takes 10 times the work to get it back, if you ever get it back. It's a sad situation.

26-Jun-14
WV DEP (state) WV DNR (state) that is the right hand taking money from the left hand.

26-Jun-14
Yeah, but it's money that could have been used for DNR projects that will go for who knows what?

26-Jun-14

gobbler's Link

26-Jun-14
Tried to paste with phone but didn't work . Story will be in Gazette tomorrow. It's on-line now.

26-Jun-14
Sorry, I was talking about our new DNR director.,

27-Jun-14
I know.

If we had a director, then the hatchery would probably have been cleaned out before it got to this point. They had 6 years to get it done.

27-Jun-14
WV's trout stocking program is nothing more than a piscine welfare state.

I like wild fish.

27-Jun-14
You're right. I'd be fine if all they stocked were fingerlings.

But if you did that the whole state would roar like Mountaineer field during an Oklahoma(used to be Pitt) game.

People have to have a truck to follow.

27-Jun-14
Ah' trout talk. I figure the DNR goes in the hole stocking trout. Tell me does the trout stamp pay for the cost of raising and releasing trout or is it in the red ? Not much money has to be spent replenishing our deer herd but we pay a lot for the stamps to kill a deer. One stamp for 1 extra deer. 1 trout stamp = many trout. Sorry to vent but its one of my pet peeves. Here is an idea, with a fishing license you can catch a trout but buy extra trout stamps for each trout you want to catch up to your possession limit. 5 trout per day you must buy 4 trout stamps per year.

Can you tell I don't fish for trout? :)

27-Jun-14
Part of the problem is that a lot of the hatcheries were built in the 50s and 60s. They are old. They didn't worry about pollution back then. I remember open sewers going into the creek where I grew up. We fished for suckers and chubs while trying to keep toilet paper off the line. We could tell when someone took a dump while we were fishing. There's still open sewers in places now.

A trout poops a lot from the time they are born up to stocking size and the hatcheries weren't built with the technology to deal with it and treat the water.

Several years ago under Manchin the DNR did a study and it would take 30 million to update and retrofit the hatcheries so they would meet current water quality standards. The money was promised to the DNR to do it, but never showed up.

27-Jun-14
" I remember open sewers going into the creek where I grew up. We fished for suckers and chubs while trying to keep toilet paper off the line. We could tell when someone took a dump while we were fishing. There's still open sewers in places now."

LMAO gobbler....toooo funny

27-Jun-14
LOL, it is funny, but it's true. It's a wonder we didn't catch some disease. We took the suckers to the town cobbler. He ate everyone he could get.

28-Jun-14
I like to flyfish but like bowhunting for big bucks I go elsewhere. I think they should let guys buy a permit each week so they can pull there vehicle up to the hatchery and get their 6 fish. That way they wouldn't have to sit in the hot sun waiting for the truck. Where I live they know exactly when the fish will be stocked.

28-Jun-14
And BTW gobbler it won't be roaring you hear at the Oklahoma game. More like moaning.

28-Jun-14
That's too funny gobbler. I will never look at a sucker or carp the same. Watch out I'm getting ready to flush. Lol

• Sitka Gear