Ace 23-Jul-14
ROBZ7 23-Jul-14
bigbuckbob 23-Jul-14
ROBZ7 23-Jul-14
nehunter 23-Jul-14
Wild Bill 23-Jul-14
Rader1 23-Jul-14
27-Jun-14
Just wondering who's going out of state this year? I know someone on the site provided me with the name of an outfitter in Ohio, but they're booked for the year, so they must be pretty damn good, just like he said.

Wanted to do elk, but didn't get picked in the draw.

Was talking with a guy on Wednesday while playing golf and he said Santa Fe New Mexico is a great place to live, and I'm thinking of retiring next year, so I need to find a way to convince my wife that NM is a great place to live,...and great elk hunting is not one of the points to make.

27-Jun-14
Good luck bbb, Ive never heard anyone say I'm going on vacation to NewMexico lol. Now Colorado might be a different story.

27-Jun-14
As far as out of state plans, I plan on going to Redding, CT. I hear theirs truckloads of deer, something like 60 per square mile. ;)

27-Jun-14
And you can use whatever the hell you want to kill them, silencers, night vision goggles, heat seeking missiles, and unlimited parking in anyones driveway. Man you guys are lucky.

27-Jun-14
The company I work for has locations in SD, ID, IA, MN, IL, PA, and others, makes me wonder what the hell Im doing here.

27-Jun-14
Indiana second week of Nov.

27-Jun-14
Montana last 10 days of October, Ohio 2nd week November

27-Jun-14
Ky 14-19 I'm psyched. Can't wait.

28-Jun-14
Do it myself bear in Maine 1st week Sept.

28-Jun-14
Cbjsjr, are you maintaining baits up there?

28-Jun-14
Going to Kansas in Jan. waterfowling. VT. for a few days in Nov. Im also heading to Redding, thinking about hiring a guide to help me find where all the deer went.

Or maybe I should get a drone to help me scout and push the deer to my stand.

Scratch that, that might give me an unfair advantage. We wouldn't want any of that kind of nonsense happening in Redding.

28-Jun-14
Montana,

always wanted to go to Montana!! What are you hunting?

28-Jun-14

CJD437's embedded Photo
CJD437's embedded Photo
Southern Ohio. Co worker has a bunch of land and BIG BUCKS running around. Also Kansas for pheasant hunting. Even my dog cant wait!!!

28-Jun-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Nothing major planned as yet. I will do a grouse hunt in northern NH again as I did last year and maybe a few days deer hunting (rifle) in NH as well.Also will do a few days deer hunting (rifle) in VT as I already have a big game license after my turkey hunt there this spring.I did not draw a moose tag but I am in a few lotteries and raffles that have yet to be drawn - maybe I'll get lucky.

28-Jun-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Chuck - I like that Brittany smile! My dogs are French Brittanies which are the original Brittany breed. Great dogs!

29-Jun-14
Newfoundland Moose, Sept. AZ Mule Deer in November. AZ Javelina in January.

29-Jun-14
Alberta, Canada

29-Jun-14
Maryland, Eastern Shore, for Sika Deer. Quick 3 day trip, bow.

Funny little deer, (actually an elk). They have eluded me so far, hopefully this is the year.

30-Jun-14
Gene and CJD

your pictures with the dogs make me miss my springer!!

Seeing the dogs panting hard after running all day, birds in the pouch, cold fall day, the excitement when the dog starts to act birdie.....man I miss all that.

Bird hunting to me is the amazement of watching a good dog use his nose to find things that you could never find without him. Seeing the pure joy the dog has for using the instincts built into his brain. And finding him dead asleep later in the day near the fireplace after washing him up and picking all the burrs from his coat. Best hunting partner God has ever made!

30-Jun-14
CJ,

your puppy looks just like my Rusty. We had to put him to sleep after 14 years on August 1, last year.

My wife and I were talking about him yesterday and she was saying that she would not have another dog unless its a Brittany. They are one of the most smart lovable dogs.

I miss Rusty.

30-Jun-14
CtCrow

no way!! Springers are the best dogs!

OK, let's start another thread to argue the best gun dog.

I actually got to hunt over my friend's Brittany when my springer passed and they remind me a lot of the Springers. Work nice and close, run all day, great nose, great temperment, etc. The only difference is the shooting was too easy. They stop, point the bird out for you, you get time to plant your feet, eat a sandwich, drink some coffee, and then you tell the dog to flush 'em up :) Really fun!!

30-Jun-14
Gene how did your VT turkey hunt go?

30-Jun-14
Took 15 days off (3 weeks) in November - Illinois, Ohio and Kentucky.

30-Jun-14
Longbeard, 3 of us hunted for 3 days and got into birds every day. We had setups where other hunters on the neighboring dairy farm (where we could hunt along with my friends 150+ acres) that screwed things up a bit. Too many guys hunting the same area produces few birds taken as you probably know. One of my hunting partners did get a jake. It was nice to get away though and next year I think I would just stick to the woods and avoid the farm.

01-Jul-14
Newfoundland, late September, moose and bear hunt.

01-Jul-14
Newfoundland is my dream hunt, maybe one day? Keep us updated.

01-Jul-14

CJD437's embedded Photo
CJD437's embedded Photo
I feel for you Crow! I just got her Junior Hunter title this spring. She a bird machine! Im breeding her very soon so if you are interested PM me. Impeccable pedigree. BBB, we could debate pointers and flushers all day but I prefer pointers. I had a springer and he was a great dog but most hunters lose control over their flushers and birds are flying all over the place! I love all bird dogs! I think its a great sport and alot of fun. But there is nothing like watching a dog go on point and HOLD point!! LOL OK lets start a "favorite bird dog" thread. Most of us seem really bored this time of year!!!

01-Jul-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
She is a beauty Chuck. I love the orange.

This was my best friend Rusty.

01-Jul-14
Yours also. Beautiful face!! Where did you get him? Lucy is from Maine.

01-Jul-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Here's my photo that I call "Josie the glam girl". Interesting fact about Brittanies is that French Brittanies and what we now call Brittanies are all registered as "Brittanies". However if I tried to show my Josie (who is a registered Brittany)she would immediately be disqualified because of her tri-color coat. Any black color is a disqualification for show. WTF? Now see if you can find the pheasant feather in the photo.

02-Jul-14
lower right corner

Nice dog!! The hell with showing her, she's worth more in the field as a friend and bird finder!!

02-Jul-14
CtCrow

what a great looking dog!! You can see the intensity in those eyes. I used call it "Crazy Eyes" for my male springer. That's something you can't train into a dog.

I cried more for that dog passing than any person in my life. I don't know if that's good or bad, but somehow I felt responsible for bringing him to the vet that one last time. Every time I pass a place where we hunted I can just see him running through fields, testing every breeze with his nose.

02-Jul-14
DIY Northwest Ontario Deer\Wolf

DIY Northern Maine Jackman area Deer or New Hampshire depending on where it snows....following the snow this year

03-Jul-14
Jackman

haven't been back there in years. Let us all know how you make out.

03-Jul-14
September Bear at my buddies camp in Maine. Baiting our own sites on his property, I'm bringing the muzzle loader and compound. Headed up next weekend to get the sites ready. Maybe fish for some brookies while we're at it.

23-Jul-14
The last two weekends I've been teaching a Bow and a Firearms Hunter Certification class, and talking to all those new hunters has me getting even more fired up for this season. Their enthusiasm and thirst for knowledge is fun to watch.

It's getting to be that time, the days are getting noticeably shorter, some nights there's even a bit of a feel of fall in the air.

Time to scout and hang stands, set up cameras and dial in that bow with broadheads.

Now that all the draws are done, anyone planning a last minute trip anyplace?

I have been toying with the idea of Maine, or VT for grouse, I know some areas with a lot of public land. Been meaning to do it for a while now and my dog isn't getting any younger.

I haven't hunted NY for deer too intensely the last several years, and I think I'll spend more time there this year as well. My place has some promising sign.

What are you doing to get ready? What do you have planned?

23-Jul-14
Nothing out of state for me this year, so I plan on hunting state land in CT hard this year. There are 3 separate areas I hunt and I'm thinking of hitting a 4th that I found last year while looking for turkeys.

Wouldn't you know that someone left a stand in a tree right in the area where I found the most sign on this 4th area, but it looks like it's been neglected for quite some time based upon the new growth in the area and the old pruning marks still visible.

I'm betting it was a hot area years ago and then got cold, so the hunter never picked up his stand.

23-Jul-14
I plan on sitting 20 yards from bbb and shooting the bucks he passes up ;)

23-Jul-14
Good plan Spike, then you can hand him your knife and ask him if he can remind you how to field dress a deer.

I bet he'll even help you drag.

23-Jul-14
Nebraska first week of November Kansas Second week and probably Indiana in October have yet to score in the Midwest because looking to shoot a booner and I have let a lot of deer go but this year I might not let the 150s go

23-Jul-14
Spike and Ace,

I really like to hunt alone, but I'd be more than happy to field dress the deer and help drag.

I'm going to have to kill something this year just to get rid of my image!

Rob

must be nice to have so many options lined up, and the money to make them available.

23-Jul-14
bbb...can't argue that I'm a blessed man , thank God everyday.

23-Jul-14
Just got an unbelievable opportunity to lease 2000 + acres in Indiana and Illinois. This will allow 2 Bucks total, its tough when you have only one Buck tag for the Midwest.

Very little hunting pressure and its all river bottoms. Flying out in a few weeks to go over the properties with the farmer. They have over 15 different parcels (1-200 acres each), so I guess I will need another 15 trail cameras.

23-Jul-14
Pennsylvania in mid October for deer. Have my license and will be applying for a doe permit next Monday. About three months ago I located a funnel that a bear showed me, and picked a tree for my stand. Last year I saw a bear cross the road, and this year,looked for a reason why it chose there. Turned out to be a fifty foot swath of dry ground between marsh along the road, extending about a tenth of a mile back in to some hilly rocky ground.

23-Jul-14
Montana in October for sharp tail grouse, November North Carolina to hunt with my brother on his farm for white tail and November for white tail in Texas and end the season with a Louisiana duck an goose the first weekend in Jan

• Sitka Gear