Vermonster 15-Jul-14
Odocoileus 15-Jul-14
Odocoileus 15-Jul-14
bb 15-Jul-14
airrow 16-Jul-14
Odocoileus 16-Jul-14
01-Jul-14

Odocoileus's Link
Uh oh. Now there is a published study where deer reduction resulted in reduced Lyme disease cases. Because this doesn't support the conclusions of many who post on Bowsite, it will be deemed "junk science", the validity of Howard's degrees will be called into question, and it will be called "a pre-determined outcome", and it will be said that Mumford Cove is too small. Let us hear it boys. I'm all ears.

01-Jul-14
No, this is Howard's published research. And V, it kind of flies in the face of some claims here that fewer deer = more Lyme disease. Seriously??

02-Jul-14
Odo

sorry, but I don't agree that more deer means more lyme disease.

It may mean there are more ticks and if people (not deer, but people) don't check themselves for ticks then there is higher opportunity for lyme disease.

I've hunted when I could see 20 deer a day on state land and I never got lyme disease, and today there are far less deer and I still don't have lyme disease, so the critical factor in my eyes for lyme disease is checking yourself for ticks, not how many deer there are.

Where I work we do something called "Root Cause Analysis" and the root cause of getting lyme disease is getting bit by a tick that carriers the disease. The root cause is not that a deer allowed the tick to feed on it's blood. Therefore, the corrective action is to keep from getting bit, which means using preventative measures like bug spray and checking yourself for ticks.

If we kill all the deer can you assure us that the ticks won't find another host, like our dogs, cats, or coyotes and continue to spread the disease?

02-Jul-14
From what I have read on ticks, adult ticks (Black-legged tick) will search for a large host to feed on before they lay eggs. The more deer there are the more hosts there are for ticks to feed on. Ticks can lay between 2,000 and 18,000 eggs. Obviously not all of these ticks survive but it makes complete sense to say that the more deer we have the more opportunity there are for some of these ticks that normally would not find a host to actually find one, feed and lay eggs. So more deer equals more ticks. Now ticks don't get the Lyme disease bacteria from deer. They get it from the small mammals they feed on when they are young. So now you have more ticks feeding on small mammals in the early stages of their development which mathematically increases the percentage of ticks carrying this bacteria.

02-Jul-14
Well BBB, clearly you are one of the educated few that has learned that to prevent tick borne disease, tick checks are required. Unfortunately, the majority of the public aren't as clued into the natural world and don't think to do a tick check after getting the mail. There is lots of research linking deer deer density with tick density; you reduced deer abundance and tick abundances falls, deer populations grow, as do ticks. However, there is little linking deer density with disease prevalence which is why this paper is important.

02-Jul-14
OK,

I don't think many people disagree that more deer more ticks.

Where we disagree is that some of us like a sustainable deer herd, some want it wiped out. The piece of report attached says 5.1 dpsm.

How would hunting be with 5.1 dpsm?

The deer even though they carry the ticks, are not to be blamed for Lyme.

The answer is education not eradication. How come hunters have less cases of Lyme than non-hunters? Yeah, we still get it but we do a better job in checking ourselves and using protection.

NOW, this is a hunting site. You want to keep discussing this same crap in 20 different threads? Go here : http://www.cdc.gov/ and do it.

Question, what would've odoriferous do if he was in charge when the AIDS epidemic started?

Attack the virus or kill the host?

OUT!

02-Jul-14
Now we have Cory quoting " ticks lay between 2,000 and 18,000 eggs ". Scientific data states that " ticks lay up to 3,000 eggs ".

Much like Odo ( Scott Williams ) and his magic with deer numbers; we are now getting a science lesson on Lyme disease on how to multiply tick eggs.

Dave is this known as the the " Lyme - 6X " correction factor for tick eggs ? I think we need to have - Mike in CT take a look at this for correction !

02-Jul-14
Ok even if they only lay up to 3,000 eggs you still have the same end result. More hosts = more ticks which equals more ticks carrying bacteria for lyme disease.

02-Jul-14
I find this science stuff to be fascinating.

"Experts" count the deer, but they say that they don't see every one so they multiply the number they do see by 2.

Other "Experts" require the reporting of cases of Lyme disease, but those numbers are low, they assume that the disease is under reported, so they say things like, cases of Lyme Disease are under reported by a factor of 10, and of course that results in a much larger and scarier number.

Ticks lay "up to 3,000 eggs". But if it is said that that number is 2,000 to 18,000, that sounds more impressive.

I'm sure that someone is going to respond that these are not exact sciences, or absolute numbers, they vary within a range. And maybe a guy with a PhD will chime in and throw around a few statistical/ mathematical terms, designed to sound impressive and confuse some and convince others.

As a hunter and fisherman when we exaggerate or enhance a story, or the size or a kill or a catch, we're called LIARS. I saw a buck that had to be 140" but couldn't get a shot, I caught a 10 pound trout, but he broke off at the boat.

Have you guys ever noticed that for some people saying: "I don't know" seems practically impossible. Often for these same people, saying "I was wrong" is totally impossible.

02-Jul-14

Cory Valerio's embedded Photo
haha that reminds me of Atlas Shrugged "who is John Galt?". Who is Dave Streit. lol. Odo we should start a movement :)

02-Jul-14
Kilpatrick deer counting method: 15x2=30(ah why the "f" not)x 2 again=60 dpsm

Williams deer counting method in test zones: 60x2=120-100=20. 20/2=10dpsm in the two test zones 10x2+51 killed=71. 71/2=35.5dpsm in the test zones at start of study

WTF. This is truly ridiculous.

02-Jul-14
LMAO

Good one Cory. Nice selfie.

02-Jul-14
What is ridiculous is Rooster's math and misuse of numbers he has heard along the way. Means and standard error and order of operation is not fancy math. Basic stuff man. It would help your argument to learn it and understand it.

Ha Cory! Seriously. There can only be two guys in the state that are educated on deer and ticks and disease. My word.

02-Jul-14

BowhunterVA33's Link
Here is a link for you Odo.. if you REALLY want to eradicate ticks and not just slaughter deer.

02-Jul-14
Odo I have a question about ticks that I can't find an answer to. Not sure if you know or not. If a tick with the lyme disease bacteria lays eggs, are those nymphs/ticks born with the bacteria? Or do they need to contract it by feeding like their predecessor?

02-Jul-14
Here's a better question for everyone:

If a man makes a statement in the woods, and there's no woman around to hear it, is he still wrong?

V - where are you on this one?

02-Jul-14
Ticks are not hatched with the spirochete. They must obtain it during their blood meal as larvae or as nymphs. As a result, you cannot get Lyme disease from a larval tick. But as always in nature, there are exceptions.

Those tubes kind of work, but only in small localized locations, not area-wide like deer reduction might. With the deer, scientists are just trying to determine if deer reduction alone can reduce ticks in an inland suburban setting. It might not work and may prove to have no impact. Then hunters can say see, told you so and have their high deer densities like they got so spoiled with in the early-mid 2000s.

02-Jul-14
"With the deer, scientists are just trying to determine if deer reduction alone can reduce ticks in an inland suburban setting. It might not work and may prove to have no impact."

Just so we can be clear Dr Williams: -are you now saying for the record that you: don't know if 10 Deer psm will work to reduce Lyme Disease?

02-Jul-14
Ace

like I said before,... what science declared as fact last year is sciencefiction this year.

Common sense - use it. If a tick bites you and has the virus for lyme disease you may get it. Don't let ticks bite you, ....case closed.

Now, I want more deer. Who's with me?

02-Jul-14
I'm confused odo. Ticks are the problem. The tubes are proven to work by stopping them at their earliest stages. If there are no little ones then there will be no big ones (like with deer, as you are well aware). So.. you mean to tell me if a majority of landowners put these out it would not be effective? The reported effectiveness is >90% TICK reduction from the little reading I've done.

Are you say killing young ticks at the source in wide distribution is not as effective as killing one of the large mammal adult tick hosts? Are you saying it is better to eliminate a host (minimal effect on ticks) than to eliminate juvenile ticks (major effect on tick populations)?

02-Jul-14
Ace, it is not known what impact deer reduction will have on tick abundances in an inland setting. It works on islands and locales of an insular nature. That is the point of the study, to see what happens. I've been saying this all along.

BH. Another part of the study is to determine the best combination of factors for reducing ticks that targets all life stages. Deer reduction is a component yes to target the adult host. One of the square miles is just that and another is deer reduction, a fungal spray that kills all life stages of the tick, and a rodent bait box in which mice and chipmunks get attracted to a bait, go in the box, and get "frontlined" thus making them little killing machines for the juvenile stages of the tick. A third square mile is getting the spray and the rodent box and a 4th square mile is serving as a control in which homes are receiving no intervention. Additionally, as a separate study, an oral vaccine to kill Borrelia in mice is also being investigated. Clearly this is beyond just killing deer, but I'm sure you don't see it that way.

02-Jul-14
so, just to be clear, are you Dr Williams?

02-Jul-14
That beard is fantastic!

02-Jul-14
Osoma bin Cory...LOL

03-Jul-14
I cant be the only one here with a beard....anyone else????????

03-Jul-14

03-Jul-14
Crow, my guess is yes as he's denied being Dave but hasn't said no to being Scott. Odo, why don't you say yes? Honestly, whats the big deal?

03-Jul-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo
I heard the they were waiting for you for the reunion.

I shave mine off when The Rangers are out of the play offs. I had it almost a month longer this year.

03-Jul-14
Duck Dynasty beard!

03-Jul-14
hahahaha. Ok no more beard pictures.

03-Jul-14
Odo...thanks for not answering one single question I asked.

Apparently you favor spending more money researching when a tried and true (oh.. and commercially viable) method has already been found.

03-Jul-14

OK, so now we have established several things:

Odo is Scott Williams, other than not being able to man up, and to follow Bowsite rules, what's the big deal? He wasn't fooling very many people anyway.

Next, he admits that he doesn't know if reducing deer densities will have a significant effect of Lyme Disease cases.

"Ace, it is not known what impact deer reduction will have on tick abundances in an inland setting. It works on islands and locales of an insular nature. That is the point of the study, to see what happens. I've been saying this all along."

But wait, who started this thread? And what was claimed? Draw your own conclusions on this one.

AND, they deliberately choose an area of high winter deer densities to count and shoot in.

Rooster's last post (on the other thread) is spot on. If you come to a town that we have intimate knowledge of, and you start telling us things as facts that we know to be false, why in the world would you be surprised that we call you on it?

Your expertise may or may not be suspect, that isn't for me to determine, but your knowledge of Redding is clearly less than that of many of the people who are posting on this topic. If you can't admit that, then the rest doesn't really matter now does it?

I'll give you a bit more unsolicited advice: Try to at least learn to fake a bit of Humility.

03-Jul-14
Ace. Mumford Cove is a peninsula. I have said all along that deer reduction has been shown to reduce ticks in areas of an insular nature. It is not known if there will be similar reductions in ticks if deer are reduced in a non-insular setting. That's why it's called science, to see what happens at the end. Maybe nothing. Who knows?

Why the paper is of importance is because while it is true yes that deer don't play a role in the Lyme disease cycle, they are vital to the life cycle if the tick. With more ticks comes more disease. So the paper shows that if you reduce deer, you reduce ticks, and reduce tick borne disease.

According to your post, we don't know much about Redding but know enough to know where the high density deer areas are? Sure.

03-Jul-14
ODO

I disagree again with the assumption that more ticks = more lyme disease. I've stated before that I have had several ticks on my clothing coming out of the woods over the 45 years I've hunted and I've never been bit, let alone have lyme disease. I would agree that with more ticks comes a greater opportunity for LD, but that means you need to be more diligent when checking yourself.

There was a radio personality on WTIC AM named Colin McEnroe and he ended every show with "Check yourself for ticks" and he was against hunting!! With knowledge comes strength, and ticks aren't that strong :)

03-Jul-14

Jadams's embedded Photo
Jadams's embedded Photo
Have to have the hunting beard ;). Your not alone Cory

03-Jul-14
Jadams,

why did you post a picture of General Ulysses S.Grant? Oh, it's because it's Independence Day, nice touch!! What stiking looking man he was, and it looks like he hunted too. :)

Nice beard.

03-Jul-14
Lol Bob, I can't grow it on my head so might as well grow a beard ;)

03-Jul-14
Wait, am I talking to Scott Williams or Steve Roscoe? You still didn't answer that one, is that because you know you'll be removed from here for failing to use your real name?

If you know Redding so well, why did someone involved with the study call me and ask for advice on which neighborhoods to choose for the Deer Reduction portions of the "study"?

The White Birch, Topstone Swamp area has been a known wintering site for many years.

And despite all your best efforts and permission from the (then) DEP, to kill 100 deer, you only managed 51 total on 2 sites. Woops, guess maybe there weren't as many as you thought.

Why not explain to the folks here that don't know it, exactly HOW you did the first year count for this study. You know, the way you killed every deer you could, and THEN counted them. Next you added the number of deer killed to the number you counted (with a correction factor figured in OF COURSE) and then came up with a Population Denisty number.

Go ahead Oso/Scott/Steve, explain that methodology and share the data. And be sure to show your work, so we can check your math.

03-Jul-14

Odocoileus's Link
For Ace and anyone else interested.

08-Jul-14
BB, he drinks.

08-Jul-14
And Therrrrrres the rest of the story folks. He must have got his panties unhooked from over his head. Had to have been a hell of a struggle, haven't heard from him in a while....Last post belongs in the hall of fame, sandwiched in between the pictures of Bozo and Spanky.

08-Jul-14
Well in that case....bottoms up!

08-Jul-14
LOL...Next round is on me...

08-Jul-14
LMAO. He really missed the verbal spanking and cameback for more.

08-Jul-14
Why don't we demolish the town of Lyme? Isn't that where this all started? We need to go to the original source.

09-Jul-14
I'm a sucker. Ill bite.

Given awareness both of individuals and the medical field to Lyme and related tick borne diseases, the number of confirmed cases should be rising gradually unless an epic collapse in the deer tick population happened. People know to ask about it, and doc's know to ask about it and have tools to test for it. That was not the case 10-20-30 years ago to the same degree it is now, and that certainly impacts the number of confirmed cases that would be recorded in a given area over time.

I need more than one study to show me that lower deer #'s equal lower Lyme disease rates. May be true... but given areas with low deer numbers also have rapidly ballooning lyme cases... My gut says I'd need to see a LOT of research with very strong stat's (not percentages, really strong P values) to show me that.

I need to see studies from areas with HIGH lyme infection rates but known LOW deer densities.

I also need studies from areas with stable deer numbers...

And I'd love to see something showing me NOT the confirmed infection rate, but rather how often doc's tested for it, or assessed a patient for it over the past 10-15 years. Again, is a rise in cases really there, or is knowledge of how to ask for care and provide care changing and thus, changing the stats.

In any field, using one study for or against your belief's is just not a good idea. Or maybe said better, using one study as proof of anything is not a great idea - eventually your going to be wrong unless the study was said something like "Humans need oxygen to live."

It's also important to remember that studies don't "prove" things, they just confirm that something may have a relationship, or may not and provide some level of strength to that relationship via the statistical tools used in formulating the results.

09-Jul-14
Lyme or Dave or ???, could you please stop your incessant drivel about reducing the deer population for the sake of reducing the deer population? Bowsite is great place for hunters to share stories, help, tricks, tactics etc. for the benefit of most of the people here. We are not selfish, far from it. Many guys here share nicey nice.

No fake names. Stop hiding. Come have a cup of coffee with me. I'd like to share my time with you to understand you better.

I should hope that there are not many jumping on your bandwagon. I remember a story about a guy named David Koresh....how did that turn out again?

Bowsite used to be a fun place....now it's just a funny place.

10-Jul-14
Wasn't the Bridgeport experiment at an enclosed location?

That makes a big difference to free roaming deer.

10-Jul-14
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Cheers!

10-Jul-14
The Redding, CT deer population is down 60% + in the last four years and Lyme cases are up 61.5% + in the last four years; and you say - " Less Deer = Less Lyme " is working ! ...........Dave are you drinking again ?

11-Jul-14
I was reading an article by the American Lyme Disease Foundation, located right here in Lyme, CT. and they state that the large majority of LD cases occur from the nymph stage, not the adult stage found on deer.

The reason given (see quote below) is the nymphs are active during the summer months and are as small as a period in news print making them very difficult to notice on your body.

"People primarily acquire Borrelia burgdorferi (the causative agent of Lyme disease) from infected nymphs because of their small size. "

So why all of the attention on the one stage of the tick life cycle that has the least impact on the LD cases? To me it all goes back to education, not killing the deer.

11-Jul-14
David Streit ( Lymefree / Bill Free ); Studies that are little more than junk science don`t interest me...........Maybe Scott Williams ( Odo ) can explain them to you.

11-Jul-14
BBB, you're right. If we are talking about the Redding study, one neighborhood is looking at focusing on adult tick reduction only (deer removal), one is looking at larval, nymphal, and adult tick reduction (deer removal, tick spray, and rodent bait box that frontlines them), one is looking at nymphal and larval only (tick spray and rodent bait boxes), and one is a control with no treatment. The point is to look at different combinations. Maybe deer removal alone won't work. Who knows?

Airrow, you sound like PETA when you say that scientific studies that don't support your conclusions are "junk science."

11-Jul-14
"Airrow, you sound like PETA when you say that scientific studies that don't support your conclusions are "junk science.""

Looks to me like someones words were twisted a bit.

11-Jul-14
lymefree,

oh boy, now you agree with global warming??

BTW - it's now called climate change because the weather over the past few years has been unusually cold.

I'm also old enough to remember when the "scientists" were predicting the 2nd ice age within the next 50 years. That never happened either.

11-Jul-14

Now we are being asked to believe that Deer Ticks cause terrorism? Oh wait, ... if we don't want to kill all the deer then we are in bed with PETA! No, that's not right either, ... agree with LymeBeFree or you're a communist!

Eschew Obfuscation!

11-Jul-14
Lymefree

Here is the question then that will prove you wrong. You failed to even comment on it when i asked you in another thread. With so little deer in vt compared to 20 years ago why is limes disease on the rise in our state? Explain how less deer equals less ticks. I went in and checked my trail cams last weekend and had 10 ticks on me. I have never had that many and i have hunted this area all my life.

I will wait for your response.

vermidiot

12-Jul-14
VTster. I'd say that your warmer winter as of late have probably allowed ticks to survive and multiply their numbers. Real cold, snow-free conditions kills lots of ticks and you told us a few threads ago that your winters now are not what they once used to be.

As far as ticks on moose, those are winter ticks that live out their entire life cycle on one moose and can overwhelm them, sometimes even killing them. They are beginning to be a problem too more so now likely because they are better able to survive through the winters.

12-Jul-14
It was pretty cold this last winter. [fact] I can tell by my oil bill .

12-Jul-14
So what your saying is that low deer numbers does not mean lower tick numbers. Yes our winters have been warmer and not as much snow. We did have some very cold patches this winter that got down to -20. So im not putting it all together.

Lower deer pop means lower tick pop. Except in Vt. Where the only reason we having an increase in ticks is because of the warmer winters. But in other parts of the country you have more ticks because of the deer herd? Even though everyone is experiencing warmer climates.

Wow going to have to see something that supports all that. Something is starting to stink real bad.

12-Jul-14
It's my understanding that the life cycle of the tick is just 2 years, so if the deer population has been down significantly for more than 2 years, then so should the ticks,...........right?

12-Jul-14
VTster. There's a lot going on in tick ecology which is why there is research being done, to better understand the ecology. I'm merely speculating what is going on in VT from my backyard here in CT. There are tons of variables being researched, in this case, deer happen to be one of those variables. I don't hear you guys making a stink when people are researching ticks in small mammals and vegetation, then it's all okay because deer aren't being implicated, right? Are deer below the magic 10/square mile around you? Probably not, so there are more than enough for ticks to sustain themselves and winters are not as cold so maybe they are doing better for that reason. Or perhaps two or three years ago was a bumper acorn crop for whatever oaks you guys have or maybe beech nuts rocked the house and small mammals populations boomed and there were tons of hosts for the juvenile ticks to feed on, so two years later you have a peak in adult activity all looking for hosts but because you have so few deer, the adults do not find hosts to feed upon and die instead of reproducing. I don't know, just speculating. You'd have to ask someone local about specifics, by they will probably say something similar.

Bbb. Yes, ticks have a 2 year life cycle. Juvenile stages are more susceptible to weather related phenomena than the hardier adults.

Let me know if you guys solve the equation, cause lots of people way smarter than us are working on it and have been at it for some time and are looking for the answer.

12-Jul-14
Deer ticks need a blood meal between life stages. If they don't get that meal then they die! Lots of other critters for them to feed on but the fact is less meals would mean less ticks. I don't want to argue with any of you guys and i think more deer the better but that is fact.

12-Jul-14
I am not. I wouldn't stoop that low.

12-Jul-14
How long can a tick live without a host?

12-Jul-14
Or not....

http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3916#p29337

12-Jul-14
Nice find Mike. ODO and Slyme...You're dismissed.

12-Jul-14
Mike he will just say they are wrong! nice find .

12-Jul-14
I don't think your math is right Mike. ;-)

12-Jul-14
Right. The Cary Institute is renown for implicating medium-sized and small rodents as the culprits for Lyme disease. They leave deer out of the mix. They are on the fringe, to the extent that PETA also uses them religiously to further their argument. Again, hunters aligning with PETA is pretty suspect, no? As I said before, you guys jump right in with whomever supports your cause, just like PETA. . . Now the proof is there. "Don't blame the deer..."

Anyone paying attention clearly has you guys aligned with PETA. Good job guys. Aligning with your sworn enemy. You've come full circle.

12-Jul-14
Says who? You have 0 credibility.

13-Jul-14

Odocoileus's Link
Here you go guys. Right from the Friends of Animals website. I provided the link here to illustrate that you guys sound just the same and use the same logic, but also to streamline your time spent searching for research that doesn't implicate deer in the LD cycle. It's all right here, Friends of Animals has already done all that research for you. You're welcome for saving you the time. I'm sure that they would welcome a donation from you guys as you seem to be fighting the same cause.

13-Jul-14
Dave (Odo)...fake name guy...hiding behind a screen name guy...

We hunt. We are a tool for the DEEP to control and manage deer numbers in the state of CT. Go babble to them. Leave us alone.

I've invited you to a 3D shoot and a cup of coffee to try to understand your premise with this topic. You have refused both times. I don't hide. I'm right here.

You speak of 8-10 DPSM as the optimum number. Yet Dr. Kilpatrick just stated in the press about Tyler Mill in Wallingford that around 20 is a healthy number....Achievable through hunting. Please go away quietly or man up and go chase after your soccer moms about the importance of tick education.

Let us take care of bowhunting and our passion.

13-Jul-14
I'm just telling you what you need to hear to keep hunting alive in CT for generations to come, but clearly none of you are interested in the long term, only big racks next season. Just trying to get you to think collectively and that is proving to be very trying.

For instance, the don't blame the deer argument works for Friends of Animals because they don't want the deer dead. That makes sense. The same don't blame the deer campaign doesn't make sense coming from hunters, because it is clear that the hunters want to be the ones killing the deer. That argument is selfish and transparent as those lobbying both for and against hunting at the Capitol can see right through it. And frankly it does more harm to hunters' reputations. Hunters need to come up with a strong collective message that appeals to the public of CT, not just to other hunters.

13-Jul-14
So WE are destroying the future of hunting huh Scott?

I taught a class yesterday that certified 52 new Bowhunters. Next week I'm leading a Firearms class, might have as many as 70 students.

Lots of state land, and many private property owners who welcome hunters. Haven't you heard, the drop in the numbers of hunters has been reversed.

Yeah, We're the problem.

It can't be the guys who are trying to convince the public that unless they support dropping the deer numbers to an unnaturally low level Lyme Disease will become an epidemic!

Can't be the guys proposing using suppressed rifles at night to shoot deer!

Can't be the guys who make a living shooting deer at night!

Yeah WE'RE the problem! What an ass you are. This is a site FOR Bowhunters and you have convinced exactly nobody. Only the other Fake Name guy agrees with you.

I will join the others here and invite you to just go away.

Or if you like the abuse, stick around.

13-Jul-14
And there is the other ass! I pull the string and you speak, you don't make any sense, but you keep trying.

13-Jul-14
I'm glad hunter recruitment is up. If archers were able to get deer to densities required to positively impact public health, I'm sure they would be used to save money. Because they cannot, there will always be a market for private sharpshooting for those locations where residents demand results instead of tall tales and lies to increase recreational opportunity. That's not a good model for the future of deer hunting as a deer management tool. Lies and minimal results.

13-Jul-14
Question:

Why are you here?

13-Jul-14
I'm here because I started this thread and I'm also trying to turn the tide of hunting mentality. Does it look good in the public eye when hunters advocate against a study looking at how to reduce tick-borne illness? Does it reflect positively on hunters when they continually dispute data DEEP biologists work tirelessly to provide? Does it look good when hunters harass a municipal employee with lies and misinformation when that employee specifically stated they were hoping to open municipal lands to archery hunting? Is that going to further the future of hunting in CT? Lies and bullying?

You guys need to learn to be proactive and make a positive name for yourselves. Not react to situations you disagree with after you have had decades to try to solve the issues.

14-Jul-14
I'm still unclear. If a study says high deer density is 100% tied to lyme disease clearly it's not a solid review of the literature but rather a short term description of what happened in that one situation - or multiple "single" situations in different places.

There are to many examples of lyme's disease cases increasing while accompanied by consistently low deer densities or recently reduced deer densities.

It's irresponsible as a scientist to view only one aspect of research. What's the big picture, not just what studies on one side of a question point to.

14-Jul-14
Scott, (and you too Dave)

Do you think that the hunters here believe that your goals are the same as their goals?

Do you think the hunters here are going to take advice from people who are such cowards that they register on a hunting site under false names?

Do you actually think that the way you have conducted yourself on this site has given you any credibility with the people who have been here for years?

If you do, then you are delusional.

You are allowed to stay here, and people keep engaging with you purely for the entertainment value.

Carry on.

14-Jul-14
Actually Will, there are very few documented cases of reduced deer abundances resulting in reduced disease prevalence. There are lots of studies that prove that with reduced deer abundance come reduced tick abundances. That's why this study should be of interest, because it shows that a significant decrease in deer abundance led to a significant decrease in tick abundance which then resulted in reduced cases of Lyme disease. It is one of the few studies published where that link has been documented scientifically. It had been merely speculated and assumed previously that fewer ticks as a result of fewer deer would results in less disease. But this paper proves that.

14-Jul-14
Are you referring to the Paper that you will write from the results of the Redding Tick Study which is merely half done, but from which you apparently already have the results?

That Paper Scott?

14-Jul-14
Guys, I know there are studies showing lower deer = lower LD. That is what the OP started this with.

What I'm saying, is that there are many cases of areas with low deer density that have increasing LD cases.

Why no review of why that is happening?

Why not posting those studies?

Have they happened? Or has study only happened on one area of this issue at this point?

Point blank, I dont know. Maybe the only factor in Lyme disease is deer density. That does not make sense though given, again cases of LD in low deer density or reduced deer density areas are ALSO rising.

Taken further, sure, initial study results show that LD in a deer reduced area is lower.

What about 2 years later, 5 years, 10? Do those results hold?

It feels, like the "studies" in this area need some additional work, or more need to be brought out for all to fully understand the issue, to admit what we as a population DO NOT know about the issue, and to formulate a sensible approach to move forward with those two issues in mind.

14-Jul-14
Hi Will. If you check the link that started this thread, you will see that this study occurred over the 13-year period from 1995-2008. Is that not a sufficient time interval?

Where specifically are you talking about where lower deer densities are resulting in increased Lyme disease cases? Airrow's "research"? Was that peer-reviewed and done over an equivalent time period? Or did he take the numbers that worked for him and look at one year to the next? That's not science. That's conspiracy theorist mentality; all data that don't agree with a pre-conceived conclusion were derived from "junk science" and partial and/or fictitious data that support one's conclusion are used as gospel. It's classic.

14-Jul-14
Vermont. He have a very depleted deer herd and we are the second leading state in the country with lymes disease cases. Attached is a link to the local news that did a three day story on lymes disease and they never said once that it was caused by the deer herd. They simply are not related. We are living proof.

http://www.wcax.com/story/25988874/controversy-over-lyme-disease-diagnosis-and-treatment

14-Jul-14
Thanks for the link. It clearly states that LD is on the increase in Vt But does not implicate deer specifically. Interesting that no ticks pictured are blacklegged ticks. The one with the map is a dog tick and the one with the dot on it's back is a lone star tick, neither of which are implicated in the Lyme disease epidemic. But that's the media for you. I suppose we should believe that Dave is the WB spokesman too because the media says so. Of course we should because that misinformation works in our favor. Anyway.

Does this article prove that LD is up in VT because deer are down? No. Perhaps doctors are keen to it now and finally diagnosing it. I see no reference to deer in the article. All the areas with increased cases are southern, more populated, with less severe winters and likely higher deer populations. I agree that cases are up in VT, but there are lots of variables to be considered. Implicating deer with little data on a statewide scale is going to be hard to prove conclusively. That's why to date relationships have been on smaller, more manageable scales, where fewer variables exist to cloud results, like Mumford Cove for instance.

14-Jul-14
Right. The Cary Institute is renown for implicating medium-sized and small rodents as the culprits for Lyme disease.

One slight problem with that analysis; well actually one large one-it's wrong.

"At least that’s what a study at the University of California-Santa Cruz reminds us. The research — led by then-doctoral student Taal Levi, now an ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in New York"

If you'd bothered to actually read the citation you'd have caught that the research was a doctoral project undertaken by a doctoral student at the University of Santa Cruz (that's in CA in case you're equally challenged geographically as you are mathematically and statistically.)

I also love the glaring hypocrisy of someone who doles out tongue-lashings at others questioning the veracity of the work of PhD's (with whom he agrees) then dismisses the degree when the point is contrary.

How predictable. You do realize a doctoral thesis has to be defended don't you?

Here's another link for the people like Will with a genuine interest in seeking answers:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/121-a120/

Odontreadwithcomprehension, you can skip this and just go right to your trademark smarmy comebacks. Let the adults talk this one over for awhile.

*nih-for those who place stock on titles this is the National Institute of Health.

Maybe odontbeatmewiththefactsanymore can find a kind word or two to say about them.....

14-Jul-14
Mike you should not feel the need not lecture me about Ph. Ds. I got this. Levy's work is theoretical and uses computerized "animals". Whether previously in CA or a product of the Cary Institute, he's a product of the Cary Institute; modeling and computerized reality dictates their publications. They recruited him.

"Dr. Levi hypothesized that because these small animals are prey, their abundance – and the spread of the Lyme disease bacteria within them – depends on the abundance of their predators. In the study, he and his colleagues did a computer analysis of known cases of Lyme disease and population data for red foxes — a key predator of rodents — in four states with a high prevalence of the disease: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Virginia."

From here: http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/predators-prey-and-lyme-disease/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

We could substitute red fox for snakes, owls, hawks, grey foxes, ermine, or any other predator of mice and say, model, and publish that with an increase in mouse predators, will result in a decrease in mice, and likely a decrease in Lyme. Duh. I challenge you and he to prove that in a non-computerized setting as Dr. Kilpatrick has done with the paper that started this thread.

15-Jul-14
Mumford Cove is not a proven fact for tick reduction. Mumford Cove is little more than a pre-determined outcome to a test study. At only 213 acres it is less than 1/3 square mile with a deer population of approximately 3-4 deer. This represents hardly a proven fact with their tick reports up 2.4 times from 2011 to 2012. Mumford Cove is made up of million dollar homes and the residents for the most part use contract labor to maintain their properties. These workers report Lyme cases to the Groton area Medical clinics, which in turn are classified as Groton Lyme cases within Connecticut.

Lyme reports for Groton, CT in 1995 were ( 25 ) and in 2008 were ( 17 ); over that same time frame they averaged ( 34.21 ) reported cases over the 14 years. Lyme reports fluctuate on a yearly basis; culling deer won`t lower Lyme on a permanent basis.

The Mumford Cove, CT study is what Dr. Kilpatrick does best; manipulate numbers to a pre determined outcome.

And then we have Dave Streit ( Lymefree ) from Redding, CT; with a deer population down 60% + in the last 4 years and the Lyme rate that is up 61.5% +.

We would not want to forget our all time favorite Scott Williams ( Odo ) who knows how to take less than 10 dpsm and turn them into 45 dpsm in less than one year. This would also make us 4.5 times more likely to contract Lyme disease; so he says with his artificially inflated magic deer numbers.

15-Jul-14
Hey, No balls, fake name user. Explain the Bozo game in more detail, not all of us are familiar with that.

15-Jul-14
LMAO BB,

Yeah, what's the BOZO game? I never heard of it because I was outside fishing or hunting as a kid.

15-Jul-14
Didn't you guys read what he wrote? He'll be Out Cold for 12 hours. Probably sleeping it off.

Anyone else notice that his posts are making even less sense than usual. Decompensating?

15-Jul-14
ACE, I've noticed it but I usually only read the first line and skip over his posts.

Any suggestions to 2 yr olds how to win at that?

We'll, at least we know his age now. I guess he might stop playing with his Barbies now that he got bozo.

15-Jul-14
"Enjoy the day. I will be out of touch for 12 hours."

Whats the excuse for the rest of the time?

15-Jul-14
So we post all CT DEEP figures and CT Department of Health numbers and we are asked to get " peer reviewed "......... Dave who do I contact at the CT DEEP or CT Health Department to have their numbers " peer reviewed " ? ........ Have fun at your 12 hour evaluation today !

15-Jul-14
shhhh.... he is sleeping right now. The medication is working. I think this is step 1 of 12.

15-Jul-14
Odocoileus - " Hi Will. If you check the link that started this thread, you will see that this study ( occurred over the 13-year period from 1995-2008. ) Is that not a sufficient time interval ? " Where specifically are you talking about where lower deer densities are resulting in increased Lyme disease cases? Airrow's "research"? Was that peer-reviewed and done over an equivalent time period? Or did he take the numbers that worked for him and look at one year to the next? That's not science. That's conspiracy theorist mentality; all data that don't agree with a pre-conceived conclusion were derived from "junk science" and partial and/or fictitious data that support one's conclusion are used as gospel. It's classic. " _______________

It would seem that Dr. Scott Williams has made another mathematical mistake; referring to the 1995-2008 study period. Dr. Williams believes it to be 13 years.....In reality it is 14 years, you have to count the year you start and the year you stop.

Maybe it would help Scott Williams if we posted it this way: ( 1995,1996,1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008 ) now he can put his finger on each number one at a time and count-he should then arrive at 14 years total time of counting.

15-Jul-14
maybe he didn't have his shoes off

15-Jul-14
Heres a good read proving no connection between ld and deer densities.

http://www.animal-advocates.org/info/file?file=s81m5464.pdf

15-Jul-14
Just quoting from the link I provided.

"White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus Zimmerman), serve as the primary host for the adult blacklegged tick (Ixodes scapularis Say), the vector for Lyme disease, human babesiosis, and human granulocytic anaplasmosis. Our objective was to evaluate the degree of association between deer density, tick abundance, and human cases of Lyme disease in one Connecticut community over a 13-yr period. We surveyed 90?98% of all permanent residents in the community six times from 1995 to 2008 to document resident's exposure to tick-related disease and frequency and abundance of deer observations."

Perhaps we should issue a correction to the journal.

15-Jul-14
Vermonster, an animal advocacy website. Really? Again, they make that argument to try to prevent deer from being killed. Hunters make the argument so that deer aren't killed so that they can be the ones to kill them.

15-Jul-14
And then there is the bobbsy twins who wants to kill deer for profit? afraid of ticks? Just because? All of the Above? Who the f''k knows? who cares. Get Lost!

16-Jul-14
Odocoileus - " Perhaps we should issue a correction to the journal. "

This is the problem when the public find mistakes in your theoretical Lyme study. The publics' findings are dismissed as " non peer reviewed ". So all these professionals could not even figure out whether the study was a 13 or 14 year study; and you want us to swallow this Lyme study with a pre determined outcome hook line & sinker ? The difference of 13 to 14 year study is off by 7.69%. Now we look at what is said in the published article; the " permanent residents " were interviewed 6 times in regards to Lyme; now these are million dollar homes near the ocean and they use contract labor to service most of their landscapes. How many of these contract laborers ( Felipe, Juan Pablo and Jesu`s ) were interviewed about Lyme disease over that 13 or 14 year period ? All these workers are the ones that will actually contract Lyme with their contact through their work. Lyme reports for these laborers come from the surrounding town clinics, mainly Groton, CT. This study is ridiculous, 213 acres of land ( 1/3 square mile ) and three to four deer over a 13 or even 14 year period. At any given time the deer population can change by 100% by deer coming over from Bluff Point. But Lymefree ( Dave Streit ) and Odoridiculous ( Dr. Scott Williams ) consider this study to be the " Holey Grail " of tick studies and evidence that less deer = less Lyme. On the contrary; deer makeup less than 1% of the wildlife on Mumford Cove, CT. Removing less than 1% of wildlife on any given area will not change Lyme; even if it`s done over 13 or even 14 years.

And for the workers - Felipe, Juan Pablo y `s Jesu -

Este es el problema cuando el público encontrar errores en su estudio teórico de Lyme. Hallazgos de los públicos son despedidos como "no revisada por pares". Así que todos estos profesionales no podían ni siquiera averiguar si el estudio fue un estudio de 13 o 14 años; y usted quiere que nosotros tragamos este estudio Lyme con una línea de conexión pre resultado determinado y lastre? La diferencia del estudio de 13 a 14 años está desactivada de 7,69%. Ahora nos fijamos en lo que se dice en el artículo publicado; los "residentes permanentes" se entrevistó a 6 veces en lo que respecta a Lyme; ahora se trata de casas de millones de dólares cerca de la costa y utilizan mano de obra contratada para dar servicio a la mayoría de sus paisajes. ¿Cuántos de estos trabajadores contratados (Felipe, Juan Pablo y `s Jesu) fueron entrevistados acerca de la enfermedad de Lyme en ese período de 13 o 14 años? Todos estos trabajadores son los que realmente contraerán Lyme con su contacto a través de su trabajo. Lyme informa de estos trabajadores provienen de las clínicas de la ciudad de los alrededores, sobre todo Groton, CT. Este estudio es ridículo, 213 acres de tierra (1/3 de milla cuadrada) y te a cuatro ciervos ciervos durante un período de 13 o incluso 14 años. En un momento dado la población de ciervos se puede cambiar en un 100% por los ciervos que venía de Bluff Point. Pero Lymefree (Dave Streit) y Odoridiculous (Dr. Scott Williams) consideran que este estudio sea la "Holey Grial" de los estudios de garrapatas y la evidencia de que menos ciervos = menos de Lyme. De lo contrario; maquillaje ciervos menos de 1% de la vida salvaje en Mumford Cove, CT. Extracción de menos de 1% de la vida silvestre en un área determinada no va a cambiar de Lyme; incluso si él `s hecho más de 13 o incluso 14 años.

Lymefree (Dave Streit) Odoridiculous (Dr. Scott Williams) son muy grandes loco

16-Jul-14
Response not needed. Thanks Airrow for that meaningful post and translation. I also love your rigorous wildlife inventory work and meaningful data. Thanks for that. I'm sure that was peer-reviewed.

• Sitka Gear