Toonces 14-Jul-14
Cory Valerio 14-Jul-14
Cory Valerio 16-Jul-14
Onthehunt 17-Jul-14
Onthehunt 17-Jul-14
Onthehunt 18-Jul-14
Cory Valerio 18-Jul-14
03-Jul-14
Does anyone know the laws regarding protection of livestock? I have a fox coming in the yard to go after my chickens and ducks.

03-Jul-14

CTCrow's Link
"Removing foxes through trapping or shooting is only recommended during designated seasons or in situations where individual foxes show a pattern of preying on livestock."

Key word there is recommends.

You are allowed to protect your livestoc but not sure if you first need a permit. I used to have permission to hunt at a farm and the owner gave me a letter where he said I pad permission to act as an agent of th farm to defend livestock against predators.

There are plenty of people here with more knoledge on the subjet here. You'll get a better answer soon.

03-Jul-14

wilbur's Link
Post your question here and you'll get an answer from DEEP.

03-Jul-14
The 3 S's works fine...it is 4th of July after all..."I'm sorry officer the noise that was reported is just some fireworks going off"!!!

04-Jul-14
Cory,

some would suggest you kill your livestock so that the problem with the predators is resolved. After all, It's their fault that they're getting preyed upon by another animal.

08-Jul-14
Cory, did you contact deep for an official answer?

08-Jul-14
Yes. They asked if the birds were in an enclosed area. Yes. Then asked if I had electrically charged the fence. Yes ;) they said if that doesn't work I need to apply for a special permit to dispatch the fox.

08-Jul-14
That's absurd that you have to take those measures to protect your poultry, or any livestock for that matter. Please let us know how long it takes DEEP to issue a nuisance permit and whether you are successful in removing the fox.

08-Jul-14
So if you didn't have the fence you can't get the permit?

09-Jul-14
I gotta tell you. If you have birds free ranging you have more then fox. My game camera had skunk raccoon opossum coyote and fox in my area. They never give up. They wander around the pen at night all the time for years. Even if you get the the fox others take its place. A permit for one fox isnt worth your time. Mine free range during the day and are enclosed at night. A dog is probably the best deterent. My dog did a good job of watching the birds daytime. Hes getting older and prefers to be inside a lot more so I lost three birds a few weeks ago. Were going to have to get a new dog. Invisible fence with pen inside fenced area and guard dog

09-Jul-14
Buy a high powered air pellet gun.

09-Jul-14
Permit to kill a fox to protect your livestock???

Yeah right.

09-Jul-14
Oh yea I have seen skunk, opossum, and coyotes at night. The fox is the only one coming around during the day.

14-Jul-14
Last night around 8:30 the fox came up onto our back deck. My GF opened the door to shew it away and it tried to come inside. It had no fear. I think someone may be feeding it in the neighborhood. It just doesn't make sense that it would act like this. I was able to walk within 15 feet of it and it still wouldn't run off.

14-Jul-14
"I think someone may be feeding it in the neighborhood"

And I know who. He feeds it fresh live chickens.

Did you get the permit to dispatch it yet?

14-Jul-14
I have all kinds of critters in my neigborhood.

There is a big gray fox around all the time this year. In the past I have had a family of reds.

Rabbits and woodchucks are literally everywhere. I assume that is what is keeping the fox around.

Bid doe in my front yard this morning.

Completely residential area too.

14-Jul-14
I never had a fox try to come in my house before. Lol. No I didn't get a permit.

16-Jul-14
Wilbur - I posted on the EnCon forum and the DEEP stated "You have a right to protect your livestock and yourself/family members."

17-Jul-14
If that neighbor were to shoot it it may be to your benefit.

17-Jul-14
http://nwct.craigslist.org/grd/4558261787.html

18-Jul-14
This morning I let my dog out and he is barking like crazy. At first I think its a deer that hes barking at. I call to him but he keeps barking. Usually the deer are run off by the dog. But he keeps barking. I finally go out to see whats up and scare away the deer. Oh how Im mistaken. There is a coyote bigger then my dog. Probably 50 lbs staring at my dog no more then 40 yrds away. Im really thinking he was considering if he could take my dog which is about 35 lbs. I start yelling and clapping my hands and the coyote just stands there staring at me. Finally about a minute of me doing what ever I can to scare the thing away it decides to trot off. These things are out of control.

18-Jul-14
Last night when I got home from the movies I had a family of Raccoons climbing down a tree that was right next to my chicken run. There were 5 of them.

• Sitka Gear