RutNut@work 18-Jul-14
Bloodtrail 18-Jul-14
Bullwinkle 18-Jul-14
rjn 18-Jul-14
Novemberforever 18-Jul-14
Bloodtrail 18-Jul-14
Mike F 20-Jul-14
06-Jul-14
I did not want to trample on Rutnuts thread on the xbow, but I see there are several who want us only to kill one buck, and to hunt only a certain way.....

So I was curious, is there a biological reason, why we need to scale it down to one buck?????

Also, although a solo hunter, I know of one group of young guys, all good woodsman, and there are 8 of them, and they hit the woods at daybreak and go to dark, everyday they can..... They really are not doing a drive so to speak, they are really still hunting at a faster pace, with some hunters a mile or two ahead of them.

This is done on public land, both in Wis and the UP. They kill some really nice bucks, should that type of hunting not be allowed.......

Is Political Correctness, going to force us all, to sit in an enclosed blind, sitting on a food plot........

There is a danger, when it starts small and starts to gain momentum, on a group, that wants everyone to hunt like them.......

Ethics always come into a picture, I too saw alot of deer drives, that I thought were dangerous, but it was on their own family farms, doing so, for many generations.......

My question is, should we dictate, how one has to hunt?

06-Jul-14
"should we dictate, how one has to hunt?"

Every state is doing this now thru the regs. Some states have banned deer drives for years,Il. and Maine. Some have banned baiting, Ca.(ask Ted N.), Il., ect.

Some have a 1 buck rule Indiana, Ohio.

Politics and tag revenue not PC or biology drives the reg bus and how we hunt.

06-Jul-14
As long as it doesn't negatively impact others or the herd/environment, I agree with you.

06-Jul-14
A few years back I tried to get people riled over it due to a situation I had on public land here in Kenosha County on opening day with a youth.(Can you believe that BT a youth!)LOL

If someone wants to put on deer drives in my opinion they should only be able on the second weekend. Problem is you get grease balls saying they were walking and not driving etc etc etc. ITs a hooray for me the heck with you world.

06-Jul-14
The sad part of guys driving deer. In our area there is a well know group who only shoot monster bucks sitting on their private land. Mid day, brown is down deer drive on public. Makes me sick

06-Jul-14
Landowners and the states regs dictates how we hunt. If you don't own land you will always be at the mercy of the landowner. I typically don't have a problem since my goal is the same every yr, shoot one doe and a mature buck.

06-Jul-14
Everyone says they don't want to be told how to hunt, here's a newsflash. We have ALWAYS been told how to hunt, it's called rules/laws. I would love to see deer drives on public land banned. Would also love to see party hunting gone, at least for bucks. One buck a year would also be a great idea, however for it to be effective party hunting would have to be gone.

06-Jul-14
There is a lot of jealousy and selfishness from people here. I don't care for drives that other people do either, but it's fun to do one every once in a while so how about just no one else is allowed to do them?

One buck a year is a great idea? Let me guess you don't gun hunt? There is no biological reason for a 1 buck per year limit. Mismanagment is a different issue. The reason most people want a 1 buck per year limit is because they're afraid someone else is going to shoot "their" buck that they want to grow bigger and shoot next year.

Hunt how you want and don't worry about the other guy. If you don't like how people are hunting on public land go buy or lease some land for yourself. If you don't have the money to do that to bad. Some people forego every other pleasure to own land so they don't have to deal with public land, it's about priorities. PErsonally I enjoy to much other stuff to only worry about owning land but if you want to be king of the land that's what you might have to do.

06-Jul-14
Now that xgunners will be adding to the buck harvest.. I think some sorta regs need to tweaked .. 1 buck rule would be a excellent start.. then in units with higher herd numbers you could put bonus buck tags up for sale say Nov. 1st.. first come first serve ...

Don't see a problem with a 1 buck tag system..bring it.

06-Jul-14
I would like to see more bucks on the landscape and less does. If we would have a 1 buck rule, more bucks would grow older, more opportunities for other hunters who only hunt one season or the other.

Antler Whore, I like your idea, bu I think it needs to be tweaked, for a bonus buck tag you should have to harvest an antlerless deer first and have your buck tag filled before being able ot purchase an bonus buck tag.

Everyone with a pea for a brain knows that the ability to keep a buck on their 40 or 120 acres in impossible, so to say that we are "afraid" of someone harvesting a buck that they let walk doesn't hold water!

06-Jul-14
Zinger, I think you are being selfish by criticizing those of us that support a one buck season. See I can turn things around just as you always do.

06-Jul-14
Should we ALL drive the same kind of vehicle or eat the same FOOD! Nope! Shoot what ever you want! It's NO ONES business what you shoot! Just do it to the best of you ability! I like to eat venison and I will shoot what ever I wish, buck or doe! It seems if others kept there NOSES out of others business we wouldn't be asking these sort of questions!

06-Jul-14
Your right bobbin head.. We should all be able to shoot what we choose... that is exactly why a 1 buck rule is needed... Most folks never get to even see what they choose let alone e shoot what they choose... by limiting the million buck tags sold between bow and gun to just a deer tag 1 buck and a doe tag if your unit has herd control problems ... that would allow more folks to shoot what they choose... I could not agree more bobbin head.... you nailed it.

06-Jul-14
Mike F... even better... If you want that second buck tag in available units you must validate a doe tag or maybe even 2 in the most populated units... great tweak!!

06-Jul-14
Antler Whore-

Make it an even Bakers Dozen where the population is "way" over goal! And NO carry overs of buck tags to the following year.

Bring back EAB!!!

I wish somewhere along the way someone would have thought about tracking who shoots the bucks. How many group hunters fill how many tags. At least bowhunters aren't legally allowed to share tags!

I remember one time in all my years of hunting where my Dad shot 2 bucks during gun season and I used my tag.

With the seasons today there is no reason for that.

07-Jul-14
This really brings up a good point. Some say there is no reason to go to one buck, but there is. There is the push for more hunters, with more technology, and at the same time the DNR wants less deer. Well guess what, something has to give somewhere.

07-Jul-14
I think it's a win win for everyone who hunts... face it.. We have a ton of hunters... and at present everyone can shoot 2 bucks... it makes no sense to leave that and not go to 1 buck tag ..plus this is all before the 1st xgunners kill... that will elevate yearly... I say get the 1 buck thing to a resolution for the spring hearings next spring... that may get the ball rolling and better hunting for everyone will be the result.. it is lack of this that is driving guys to find other things to do. Why not work this in to improve deer hunting for 100% of the hunters ..

Not sure how anyone could build a case against it..

07-Jul-14
I personally like bonus buck.

My land can easily handle a few more bucks taken off it and it allows me to seriously bow hunt early season without the problem of being tagged out by November. We are noticing if we shoot a mature buck early, another moves in by November. Someone with less quality habitat is the one who will lose. The DNR will win because I don't plan on shooting a doe unless the population gets way high again or the DNR forces me to

07-Jul-14
Agree 100% Bullwinkle. Our land too can afford to have a few more mature bucks taken off and we do not harvest does unless our population gets too high. I love knowing that if I see a early season mature buck I can tag it and still have a tag come November gun!

07-Jul-14
TrapperJack- my dream has been to shoot a 150" +. 2 120"ers add to 240".

Getting long in the tooth, caring less and less about big bucks and more about the fun of the process. Bonus bucks could make my farm a ball.

Where the DNR is screwing up on bonus bucks is they should make you shoot 2-3 does for the extra buck tag. One doe is a drop in the bucket.

07-Jul-14
Greed is shooting seven bucks on opening day and it was legal!I am all for one buck per hunter.

07-Jul-14
Even if they kept the buck tags at one per season as it is now. But eliminated group bagging for bucks, it would help. Why do people need to shoot deer that they don't have tags for, greed.

07-Jul-14
While I would prefer to see an end to group hunting of bucks some people see hunting different than most of us do. They look at it as simply a way to get meat and if Joe shoots a deer for me that means I don't have to go out in the cold anymore. That's not a reason to continue it but it's a reason some people shoot multiple bucks. In our camp we always said if you shoot a buck for someone else it better be a World Record because that's the only way we're burning a tag on a deer we didn't shoot.

07-Jul-14
Group hunting for meat is a weak excuse. Please run the cost to obtain that meat. License, gas, ammo=? A meat deer yields 35-60 lbs. of boneless meat. You are @$2/lb. before You buy that 6 pack. Now amortize gear over 10 years? Stands, land, foodplots, property tax? I'm at $64/lb. last year with 2,000 lbs. of boneless meat.

A 1 buck rule would make hunters take pause on that sporty 110 inch 2yo. It also would help spread the opportunity out to more hunters. Btw, a 1 buck rule would have nothing to do with doe control tags.

07-Jul-14
"That sort of greed is the only reason for wanting one buck for the other guy because you can already limit yourself to one buck." And 1 Tom, 1 walleye, 1 canvasback, 1 goose,,,,,,But as You point out with Tom tags, issue them and they get sold and filled. How many guys upset about the lack of deer north of hwy 8 would snarf up and fill doe tags given the chance then B$%ch about no deer up nort? Human nature.

07-Jul-14
rickflare, gun hunters can and do party hunt and shoot multiple bucks. I also gun hunt, and would have no problem letting bucks walk if I had shot one during bow season. I love to turkey hunt, but why does it make sense to go to one tag for that and not deer? Let me guess, you are one of the gun hunters that love to fill multiple tags.

07-Jul-14
I know it's blasphemy, but I still rifle hunt with some buddies. It's the only time I see some of them. And though it's rare that a "party" tag is filled, I like the option of spending more time with them in the field, extending the hunt.

We don't do drives and aren't stacking them up left and right.

They're good guys despite their lack of bowhunting. I enjoy that time. It's good camaraderie. An aspect of hunting that I think is important.

So, I confess fully that for my own selfish reasons, I would be disappointed to see party hunting during gun deer end. But I understand that people who hunt areas impacted by big drives and an "If it's Brown, it's down!" kind of attitude would like party hunting to end.

So go ahead and flame me.

07-Jul-14
The 1 buck rule guys are greedy but the 1 Tom guys aren't? Love that logic.The same guys prefer to share the resource. The DNR sells tags thus revenue drives the bus. Indiana and Ohio DNR sided with the greedy guys vs. any biological factors?

07-Jul-14
November said "A 1 buck rule would make hunters take pause on that sporty 110 inch 2yo." And that's why people want a 1 buck law - so they get a chance at bigger antlers! If you want bigger antlers buy a couple thousand acres and do what you want on it.

07-Jul-14
I love how the one buck guys are supposedly the greedy ones. Yet the brown it's down, party hunt supporters aren't. That's toddler logic at it's best there boys.

08-Jul-14
The 1 buck rule has a ton of support. All hunters I have talked with since this topic came up all agree with it.. 100%!..everyone wants a chance at a buck. . To get more folks a chance.. which is the opposite of greedy BTW ... why should some guys have a bunch of buck tags to fill group hunting... or because they can.. to me defending present regs is being greedy..

If they went that way.. you wouldn't need separate weapon specific tags... just a deer license ... and you slit your weapon when tagging and reporting it.. much simpler system and better for all who hunt putting more bucks around so more folks enjoy the sport! .. how can that be construed as bad..I don't get it.

08-Jul-14
It's all about the $$$$$! If it went to a 1-buck rule I wonder how many dollars would be lost to the DNR? If a hunter tagged out on a buck during the bow season and could not harvest a buck during the gun season why buy a gun tag? Seems a lot of public land hunters are in favor of the 1-buck rule and private are in favor of the current way. I hunt private and always love the fact I can put my tag on a bow buck and still have the chance of taking a buck during gun and hunt with family. You can get rid of group-bagging but it would be hard to enforce. How does a game warden prove who shot what on private land. Where we hunt is hard to reach and we do not take deer out till after dark on an atv so proving who shot what is hard.

08-Jul-14
This will not be a popular idea but the only solution I think that would work for over populated counties like Waupaca. In Waupaca, remember 97% of the land is privately owned.

To get the population under control, the state should issue x buck tags and x doe tags depending on the size of your property. The more land you own, the more landowner tags you get. Send them right with your tax bill and make them free until the population is in check.

One buck tag and 3 doe tags per 50 acres feels about right. Landowner can give these out as long as the deer are shot on his/her property.

Lands with less than 50 acre probably have enough pressure they don't need the extra tags. Maybe I am wrong on this? The smaller landowners may be more aggressive in pulling the trigger so feed the beast more tags?

08-Jul-14
Bull, Your idea is flawed in multiple ways. 1) $2(virtually free) doe tags have been the norm for years and most landowners refuse to man up and take care of herd control for a variety of weak excuses.Do You know any of these types in your area? Besides, taking more bucks is meaningless for future herd reduction anyway. 2)Deer tags are a massive revenue generator that feeds the DNR beast. "free" just went from $2 to $12 which "added value" to the doe again per Kroll. $12 doe tags will drop the harvest in herd control units this year.

" How does a game warden prove who shot what on private land. Where we hunt is hard to reach and we do not take deer out till after dark on an atv so proving who shot what is hard. "

Wardens are quite capable of cutting thru the BS regardless of private land and when a deer is taken out.Wardens don't have to treat private land any different then public. Have you seen the new regs regarding the shooter being with the deer in the field until registered? Ban party hunting and 95% of BS hunters scamming the system ends.

08-Jul-14
The only answer I see is more tags and make it easier to shoot deer. Not registering helps.

You're right regarding myself. I am doing a little trial of taking it easy on the does while increasing my food plot acreage as not to harm the forest. It's working.

I can see though in the next few years I will have to start shooting does. Using a rifle during bow season, free tags, phone in registration are all very attractive ideas for me. I am not the average though and am highly engaged in what I am doing. The average joe gets a bunch of free tags in the mail and a long season - bang bang

There really is no other answer. Bonus buck will not work. Needs to be 2-3 does per buck, not 1

What's your answer to the problem November? How do you get people to shoot more does?

08-Jul-14

Bullwinkle's embedded Photo
Bullwinkle's embedded Photo
From the DNR web site. Population is exploding since EAB

The DNR has a problem in Waupaca

Longer seasons, free tags, easier weapons, simple registration (deer donation). The only answer I can think of

08-Jul-14
"What's your answer to the problem November? How do you get people to shoot more does?"

Long term it's education regarding habitat damage and the old gaurd of "never shoot a doe" literally dropping dead. Short term, raising antlerless tags to $12 or $20 will lower the doe harvest.Guys will not shoot a $12 fawn.The DNR will see another 2 Million in revenue from the tag increase to feed the beast. I set the doe harvest quota after trail cam surveys by Labor day. We averaged 36 for 10 years and dropped the quota last year to 26. I have never had a problem motivating our guys to take doe. We take them till 10/20 then lay off till the December doe only hunt. We manage to do just fine with mature bucks in the gap 7 weeks and I insist on guys showing up for the Dec. doe only hunt. 90% of landowners are clueless about herd control/habitat damage, 6% think they are qdm and are really tdm.Maybe 4% of landowners actually practice herd control imo.

08-Jul-14
I agree with you on landowners practicing QDM seriously like you do.

The question is do you really think education is the answer? I am highly educated in this area. I own valuable timber and monitor browse lines ( only have one 40 with a browse line by the way) and don't shoot my fair share of does because I can't figure out how to do so and keep my property low stress. That's why I plant 15 acres just for the deer. I am feeding them legally. There is nothing you can teach me that will change my mind.

Now, give me permission to use a rifle in Sept-Jan, free doe tags mailed to my house, phone in registration - I most likely will take 10-15 a year

08-Jul-14
15 acres of food plots will never feed the once again exponentially exploding deer herd of Waupaca.For 10 years we have had virtually free ($2) doe tags and a completely non disruptive Dec. doe only gun hunt. What is it a 6 minute trip to the Marion Shell to register? Donations issues? Adams meats or the Amish will take them all. A Tdm hunter won't use a rifle in Sept thru Nov. anyway for doe. Back to the Dec. doe only hunt again.We are 10 minutes apart and I will wager we have taken way more book deer then you (not bragging, just fact) while dumping just under 400 antlerless the last decade.Yes,herd control and mature buck hunting are not mutually exclusive activities.

Bottom line is there will always be excuses for not owning herd control.No worries, the roads auger the excess while mother nature winterkills whats needed. No winterkill in Waupaca right? lol

08-Jul-14
Novemberforever

Why don't you harvest does between 10/20 and December. With the number of antlerless deer on the landscape any opportunity not taken to harvest a deer is a lost opportunity.

We take 12 does off of 120 acres on a yearly basis and 2 bucks since 2002 and our buck to doe ratio is still way off.

How many acres are you taking that many does off of and how many hunters do you have?

Just curious, because try as we might I don't feel we are harvesting enough deer.

Bullwinkle-

Yes we have too many deer in Waupaca county!

Thanks

08-Jul-14
Nov - you keep coming back to what we have now. It's not working.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

We need some new bold fresh ideas and yes if I could use a rifle Sept-Jan to take does I would. I have some great non-intrusive stands that would make this possible without spooking a bunch of deer

08-Jul-14
"Why don't you harvest does between 10/20 and December."

That's when we mature buck hunt. We hit our quota no problem every year. Take them early and stack them on the Dec. doe only weekend. We account for about 6% of the Dec.doe only gun hunt in 62b with about a 4 hour hunt which shows complete apathy from others. The Dec. hunt allows us to fine tune the quota after counting heads post crop harvest.7 hunters and enough land.

08-Jul-14
"Nov - you keep coming back to what we have now. It's not working."

The DNR has made the regs quite easy to facilitate herd control. Hunters don't give a rip. You can't push a rope.

" I have some great non-intrusive stands that would make this possible without spooking a bunch of deer."

Putting in non intrusive bow stands, retrieving at night and gutting elsewhere is not possible? I'd last about 3 weeks in Wallenfang's position before I would want to suck on an exhaust pipe and hurt small puppies, I swear. Too funny.

08-Jul-14
No way on 1 buck, for now at least, depending on what happens with the herd. I, like many others, enjoy bowhunting and gun hunting. I do think group hunting should be banned. A hunter should have to tag their own deer like a fisherman is supposed to catch their own fish.

08-Jul-14
we have the Corvette of deer hunting. Why put a governor on it so I can't go over 45 mph w/ one buck? Can't wait for what the bucks only is going to do matched w/ 2 years of the wolfy's being de-listed up north in a couple years. We hunt private farm land in Sept. and Oct. then in Nov. we head north and get our "big hunt-ems on" on public land. No corn, no quads and no treestands for gun season. Yes to seeing country, still hunting, getting lost, red plaid wool, shooting big or small wild bucks and having fun...

09-Jul-14
Novemberforever-

Thanks for the info. I understand now. I am in 63A and we have the same issue.

Too many people are only antler hunters and don't give a rip about too many deer on the landscape.

The new regs will only make it worse and pit the private land hunters against the public land hunters. The same old complaint that private land hunters have it better than public land hunters.

09-Jul-14
1 buck does not mean you can't hunt with different weapons.. I think some here want to be a 2 buck killer.. While others ..would like 1 buck so there are more of them for everyone..100% of the hunters I talk with are for 1 buck for this reason ... and all of them hunt both seasons.. saying you hunt both gun and bow seasons so you need 2 buck tags is just saying your being greedy... With 1 buck tag you can still hunt ever season.. you just need to be more selective when a buck presents a shot opportunity .... why is that so hard to understand? ?... tell me we have smarter people hunting than that.

09-Jul-14
Besides that.. The present 2 buck system was introduced when bow season started. .. Prior it was 1 buck... then bow season added a second buck and back then just a few hundred guys bow hunted .... not 300k like we have today.. plus now you add the xgunners and you will 500k bow buck tags in just a few years....

1 buck tag is thee only solution ...gun hunters wanted to hunt the bow season and pushed the xgunners thru... now changes must be made to the bag limits accordingly 1 buck is that change

09-Jul-14
RF, Your opinion that 1 buck guys want this out of personal greed is 100% wrong. 1 buck guys would rather spread the resource and opportunity to others. Our group hunts bow/gun hard and average 1 buck/hunter/year.

The biological reason this could happen on no doubt public land first is if many of the 400,000 gun only hunters fire up that xgun and become a 2 season hunter. Then You will see a draw/preference point buck tag system(or 1 buck rule) like many other states have. OTC buck tags are not a right.Residents in many states have to draw even 1 buck tag. politically, the real threat is if the combined xgun/archery takes a dramatic jump and the gun only guys wake up and realize "their" deer has been in a freezer weeks before he stumbled into the woods for his annual 2 day deer hunt.Those 400,000 gun only license sales are the DNR cash cow. Shortened seasons for both weapons won't solve this but a 1 buck rule would.Never say never.

09-Jul-14
Water is way under the bridge on this guys. Bonus bucks starts in the south this year. Heading North next. The DNR wants deer shot. Doesn't care about big bucks.

Buy land, make big sanctuaries and protect deer by giving them everything they need. This pressure will then help you achieve your goals. The deer will figure it out quickly where they want to be and the best will get the best habitat

09-Jul-14
" Bonus bucks starts in the south this year. Heading North next." Really? Bonus bucks in the original southern CWD zone is a passive CWD management tool. This program does nothing for herd reduction long term. I highly doubt BB's in the north ever happens. Imo, anyone motivated to kill multiple 90-130 inch bucks each year is the same guy who would kill a muskie for a fish fry.Terrible waste of a resource.

09-Jul-14
November - this and phone in registration is coming in '15

I am ok with both. Planning to not go out West in Sept 15, instead chase an early season whitetail. Have not done that in years because I dirt want to fill a tag. Bonus bucks enable this extra fun

09-Jul-14
rickflare you are correct!! Some just don't get it and wish to push their wishes upon all others and seem to be never wrong! Reminds you of someone on here who use to post. 1-buck hunters are all about greed and not about spreading the resources! If so these same hunters would open their private land to outsiders for the opportunity to hunt bucks as well. We know that will not happen. "anyone motivated to kill multiple 90-130 inch bucks each year is the same guy who would kill a muskie for a fish fry.Terrible waste of a resource." Really??? most hunters are hunting and it is not all about horn size or the number of total inches a buck has. I guess to some hunters a 130 inch buck is not a trophy anymore. I would have no problem tagging a 130" buck with a bow and gun.

09-Jul-14
" If so these same hunters would open their private land to outsiders for the opportunity to hunt bucks as well." TJ, We have 4 "outsiders" who hunt bucks every year and have also hosted many newbie youth hunters for a first buck. So the 1 buck crowd is greedy and the BB/3 buck crowd are the givers? Amazing logic.

"Really??? most hunters are hunting and it is not all about horn size or the number of total inches a buck has."

But it certainly is about horn(antler). The apathy towards herd control proves that. I highly doubt BW wants the BB program in order to stack 3 forkies whose antlers fit in a shoe box.BW has stated many times his goal is to break 150. If so, what's his motivation to dump anything less first then keep hunting for that 150? Btw, BW also has hosted many youth buck hunts. Would the same bonus buck crowd want archery/xgun party hunting also? Great idea.

09-Jul-14
I find BB to be a terrible idea, anywhere in the state. I also wish the DNR would say bye-bye to party hunting. People need to shoot and tag their own deer period.

09-Jul-14
I let kids shoot whatever they want and every year I take a kid who has never shot a deer before. My way of giving back. But, they will not participate in bonus buck.

You're right November, my goal is a 150", my biggest is 132". I also love sitting in a tree. I will shoot a 140" if I get a chance - what the heck, it would be my best. I have enough land and Sturgis verified this, I should be able to take 3-4 140"/year off the farm. Bonus buck extends the use of my properties is why I selfishly like it. Plus, I am working 2 land deals with neighbors trying to grow. I want to hunt, hunt , hunt in retirement. The extra tags allow this.

09-Jul-14
BB statewide would be just plain stupid. Why is it that this state seems to take a half step forward, then 20 back when it comes to deer management.

09-Jul-14
" I want to hunt, hunt , hunt in retirement. The extra tags allow this."

Pretty simple solution here and one that has been around forever. Don't pull the trigger on a buck unless you want to be done. As hunters, we all have decisions to make with consequences. You could always continue your doe hunting and hunt, hunt, hunt. We all want to hunt and fish, but understand there is a limit on what we can all take and render decisions on that.

09-Jul-14
Happy-+1

09-Jul-14
Waupaca is way over desired level by DNR. Need to shoot more deer. BB is coming like it or not.

May as well work the change

09-Jul-14
I would support 1 buck long before I would support the slaughter BB will bring. BB will be a farce once online registration starts. No need to even shoot the doe, just call her in and get on to your continued buck hunting until 3 are shot.

09-Jul-14
"Waupaca is way over desired level by DNR. Need to shoot more deer. BB is coming like it or not."

BB does not effect dpsm at a 1:1 ratio as set up in the cwd zone.BB in the south is only for passive cwd management. 3:1 yes. Wallenfang was overwhelmed with the backlash on BB elsewhere hence the NRB backed off. BW, You won't take doe admitting your area is way over desired level as a tdm guy yet can't wait to stack bucks? You would take a 140 early and continue to hunt the rut and gun. How many other hunters are in camp? Would they be given the same latitude?

09-Jul-14
Does anyone have actual numbers of hunters who take two or three bucks in a season?

And likewise, actual numbers of hunters who take multiple does? In categories?

What's the true impact of multiple deer hunters?

09-Jul-14
The DNR has these stats and will not release them. I have asked for years what % of hunters tag multiple deer? My guess is 10% of hunters tag 50% of the harvest. I know 3 who take 20 each year legally.

09-Jul-14
I emailed the DNR for the info under interesting data. I asked for deer seen, date registered and weather rating. They were really nice and responsive. You may want to ask again, the DNR is changing.

To answer your question November. One person bow hunts with me. I have about 180 acres to myself. He his allowed to hunt on the rest with me. When I am up I have the farm to myself. I do have a guest now and then. I need to think through it but most likely only I or my boys (if they seriously bow hunt in the future) will be allowed to shoot 3 bucks.

Low pressure is key to my strategy. I have learned to welcome neighboring pressure. It plays to my strategy.

By the way, I am not good enough to be a TDM - someday, trying. The TDM are much more serious than I am.

09-Jul-14
An exclusive 180 in your area will produce 4-5 mature bucks(3.5yo) each year and every 15th buck will break 150. If You and 2 sons take 2 each (bow/gun) your 180 is maxed out on mature bucks.Typically your boys will be dumping sub 3.5yo's for some time to learn.

10-Jul-14
I am very blessed November. My only problem is time but hopefully I make it to retirement someday and that changes.

The guy who hunts with me is my caretaker (actually became good friends). Best thing I ever did was exchange work for hunting. Since he lives there, dealing with trespassing, planting needs, etc all can be taken care of easily. Plus I get local insight of a farmer watching where the deer are. He is honestly as interested in making my farm great as I am. He acts like he owns the place. Pretty awesome. He also shoots the big bucks. Has 8 over 150" on the wall.

I have been working on 50-130 acres of neighboring parcels. If I could ever get any or all of those my farm has another level. I am real close on securing two of them. Hopefully this year. Need some new projects

I could easily take more bucks off my farm. Thus the BB is attractive to me

10-Jul-14
Novemberforever, you must have a crystal ball. Without even knowing what BW 180 is comprised of you have it all figured out just how many of what type of buck he will produced! Do you know how much area is wooded? Do you know how much area is considered a bedding area? What type of food source is there? Do his neighbors restrain from shooting underclass bucks,...etc, etc, etc. Without that you have no clue!! With all your facts maybe you should work for the DNR, but then again I like it the way it is and not some California Dreaming!!!

10-Jul-14
Trading hunting rights for an on sight caretaker is paramount for an absentee owner. Ours lives on site, knows everyone(good,bad and ugly) within a 15 mile radius, and a mouse can't fart 5 40's over without him knowing it.We also get the local BS gossip of the week and timely field work done right.

10-Jul-14
TJ, We are close in proximity and we have mutual friends who have toured both properties. I have 37 years of experience in this area. I know what this dirt can/will/does produce. Without ever seeing or meeting BW my guess is his property is 70-80% wooded in the highest dpsm unit on the planet. He has 15 acres of foodplots and 50 plus treestands.Like most in the area, his neighbors probably have no plan, goals, or do any habitat work and shoot whatever catches a slug from fleet farm. His neighbors only help his hunting of mature bucks and have zero bearing on what his piece will produce.I also have the advantage of reading pages of the best whitetail consultant on the planet's feedback on his place.Given that background TJ, do You still think I am pulling numbers out of my butt? At least your ready, fire, aim approach towards me is consistent. California dreaming? I leave in 3 hours for a 47 mile backpack/fishing trip on the John Muir trail from Mammoth lakes to Yosemite.I go in at Duck pass, heading over Island pass, Donohue then bail out at cathedral pass. My first of 3 this season.The JMT is a dream trek.221 miles, 44,000 vertical feet of climbing, ending@ Mt. Whitney, 14,439 feet. Bring some brats and curds and try sucking some air at 14,000 feet. All natural Goldens, browns, brookies, rainbows.

10-Jul-14
Sorry that does not trip my fancy. California is the Illinois of the west! Besides I believe that will be a lot of something going on at 14,000 feet as dueling banjos plays in the distance! And yes you are pulling a lot of something out of your butt!! You always have some answer no matter how far out in left field it is.

10-Jul-14
Sometimes it sounds like one guy with dual personalities?

10-Jul-14
November, Brown Trout are not natural, they were brought here from Europe.

10-Jul-14
Rick - that has to be why the DNR supports only one doe for an extra buck tag. Lots of does get targeted and really few bucks.

I like it just in case and will take a doe I probably wouldn't have for the insurance of always having a buck tag

11-Jul-14
I thought that I'd read somewhere that the % of hunters who kill multiple deer in a year is really low.

11-Jul-14
Starting to make a lot of sense. Recruitment of hunters declining, few hunters take multiple deer, populations rising in some counties. Need to create incentives for people to shoot more.

BB baby

11-Jul-14
"Beats me I just found it funny that he has been asking for years and I got it the first time I asked."

As the previous state liaison for WBH, I guess you still have some clout left with them. I would doubt they even know who NF is.

"I thought that I'd read somewhere that the % of hunters who kill multiple deer in a year is really low. "

Some of that might have to do with the fact the herd is quite down in most areas and people are being smart after buying into the DNR's unlimited doe tag slaughter for many years. Also, today, a person can kill only one buck per weapon unless in the CWD zone and the herd is way down there.

11-Jul-14
Recruitment actually isn't declining, bow hunting has actually been increasing. Hell why stop at bonus buck, why not full party hunting with any weapon from Sept 1st-February. No limits, shoot as many as you want.

11-Jul-14
You watch. DMAP in over populated areas will allow rifles in bow season like MI is proposing. They have to get more aggressive.

Your idea is coming. BB is one step in that direction. Xbow was another

11-Jul-14
That's fine, I have no problem spending my tax and hunting dollars in another state.

11-Jul-14
Bull- with the size of your property you could allow alot of youths to shoot does. Instead you have one other hunter and think you should be able to shoot guns during bow season and multiple bucks? You will put a a lot more pressure on your land shooting guns all fall, rather have kids bow hunt and manage your herd by shooting does. Your brave saying you want more guns allowed during the bow season on a bowhunting forum. LOL

11-Jul-14
I actually don't see rifles in bow season in DMAP or BB either. Both would cause a major uproar to (a) all the public land hunters and (b) the private land hunters still struggling to see many deer. What some of you have going deer numbers wise is not the norm in the state. BB was a terrible idea when Kulas pushed it through during the DTR and it still is now. WI does not need deer slaughtered that badly.

I see the opposite usage of DMAP than you see Bull. It seems you see it as a means for the DNR to reduce the herd and I see it as a means for the DNR to work with landowners to improve the habitat and increase the herd. There might be times then when the County groups approve more anterless tags for their county.

11-Jul-14
Rjn - I am mainly a bow hunter and will continue to be. The rifles would be used to help keep the population in check. Sit on the lines and drop does as they head off my land. The neighbors hunt my line hard. The pressure will help keep deer where I want them plus I would have legal way to fix a couple of issues. I wouldn't do this to respectful neighbors- just the disrespectful.

I also agree with happy. DMAP up north will be about more deer. In over populated areas like Waupaca county, it will not be.

11-Jul-14
happygolucky - Actually the article that I read regarding the % of hunters that kill multiple deer was from years ago with regard to the CWD Zone and eradication. I don't recall the numbers, but the gist of it was that even with the DNR requesting, even pushing for multiple kills, only a small percentage would take more than two deer.

I don't know any real whack 'em and stack 'em guys personally. I've had seasons where I've taken a buck and a few does, but I hunt up North and doubt that I'll be killing any does up there for a couple of years at least.

12-Jul-14
BB and phone in honor system will never work... so to get a bonus buck tag you simply phone in that you shot the correct amount of antlerless?? Yep.. and that's just a 2 gallon bait pile.... ah huh??? Sure....

Why don't folks push for a much simpler easier to use 1 buck system... it's win win for anyone who buys a tag... not sure what fuels any opposition other than pure hunter greed.... I would gladly give up a buck tag to share that buck with other hunters... not sure what kind of sportsman wouldn't feel the same... maybe we are stumbling on some of the true problems with WI hunting ..

12-Jul-14
I think one buck is fine in Below deer density target areas. BB surely doesn't make sense there or DMAP with extended use of rifles.

Check out the Waupaca deer population chart I posted above. The DNR will find a way to shoot more deer in Waupaca county. This is right from a DNR web site.

If they came up with a program like crop damage that was tailored to private land owners it might be another solution than mess with DMAP. A bow and arrow or December doe hunt is not efficient enough to control the doe population around us.

Last year I bow hunted 7 days and gun hunted 2. I really should take 10-15 does/ year to get my population where the DNR wants it. There wouldn't be any time for buck hunting if I shot does to target

If I could use rifles, I have a close friend who I trust dearly that has 7 kids. I would design some stands for him and let him fill doe tags for me. He doesn't bow hunt.

There may be a little greed in my desire to have BB. It is more about time in the woods in years I shoot a buck early with the bow. I doubt I would fill 2 buck tags very often. The other comments are about practical ways to do QDM. Until they make it easier or I see signs of problem (dead deer-0 winter kill found on my farm) I will keep increasing acreage of food plots. The goal will be to try to feed them year round and take does when it doesn't hurt my strategy of low stress.

12-Jul-14
You guys want a one buck season move to Ohio !!!!

12-Jul-14
Rickflare, I like your Tower deer stand project you have listed on your blog site. Anyway to post a blueprint with all the measurements? Thanks.

12-Jul-14
So there are those on this thread, that are welcoming more hunters into the fold. Yet when those same people would be asked to give something up to ensure a more quality hunt for those new hunters, they throw a fit. Kind of sounds like how the liberals think in this country. Share it all, until it affects them.

12-Jul-14
I usually shoot two bucks a year. One with a bow, and one with a ML. In Wis I take just about any buck, and am happy with it.....

In MI I get the combo tag, but APR applies to that, which is okay, I like that too.........

However I do not see many other hunters all year, unless its a Saturday, and I fish on weekends

12-Jul-14
rickflare good post !!! Only a liberal would come up with a solution when there is no problem.

12-Jul-14
Rut +1

12-Jul-14
There is no problem??? Really?? Then why are so many folks bitch in about no deer herd?? They must all be off their rocker as there are plenty...eh??..

No problem in WI deer hunting..LOL.... that's a good one..

There is also no biological reason for anyone to be allowed to kill more than 1 buck.... If there is please post it... those bag limits are outdated .. and we're established with a fraction of the hunters we have today..

I agree with Bullwinkle ... BB In areas that need herd reduction .. but you should have to register does in person to get the BB tag...

The herd needs bag limit reform... allowing a over harvest of bucks in some areas that have low deer numbers... that's just stupid management to allow that to continue..

12-Jul-14
BB is not needed in any area. It surely isn't needed in the CWD areas now that WI has gone to a passive approach. The herd in those zones have been reduced greatly already. In areas with a higher population, of which there really are not many, the new County committees would need to communicate with the DNR and NRB to have more doe tags issued for those counties. That is simple. Nobody should need to be enticed with more bucks to shoot does. That was not needed the past 1.5 decades when does were slaughtered with liberal tags by people thinking they were helping the DNR.

12-Jul-14
Well …… To be honest I think some hunters are spoiled. If they dont get a deer by noon…. theres no deer. Look at last season. How many of the guys complaining were in the bar by 10 am? Oh …. its cold and windy out. We need to change the season so its not so cold out ! How many come and hunt opening weekend of gun and are home by 3pm on Sunday. Hunting areas are not created equal. If there are no deer in your area I suggest maybe move to another area. I passed on a few bucks during gun, bow and blackpowder hunting. Ended up shooting a doe during the blackpowder and a buck during late bow season. I can't remember the last time I shot two bucks in the same year. I just wonder how many of you hunters only bow or only gun hunt.

12-Jul-14
Correct.. hunting areas are not created equal.. that's why it's stupid to allow the harvest of more than 1 buck deer where herd numbers are low... ..look what you will have this year... you can't shoot does... but you can fill 2 buck tags..... what is the outlook for next season buck population... In just a couple of years these no doe 2 buck areas will not have a 2 year old buck alive to hunt with the numbers of hunters with 2 buck tags and no doe tags... it's just stupid...

I know the dnr don't give a rats ... but you would think the guys hunting these areas would pop their heads out and smell what's going to happen when you send 700000 guys in the woods after 500000 of them already Hunted with xguns and archery tackle and have wiped out available adult bucks ... I can't believe rifle hunters are not standing on the capital steps!!!! In a lot of these no doe units .. what 18 counties?? The only deer that can be shot are bucks?.. give that 2 seasons with all being able to shoot 2 plus group hunt 8 rifle season?? and what's the point of owning land in these counties ??

It's just dumb deer management .. but that's what you get when you allow blow hards on committees to change things for personal agendas.

12-Jul-14
AW - I would like to know where 700,000 gun hunters are, because they sure are not in my area of the north................ Heck I hardly see anyone after Sunday of the 1st weekend.... I only saw 3 hunters out all of ML season...... I saw no one late season bow.......

With all due respect most hunters are not that good, and the xbowers and bowhunters are not all going to fill buck tags........

With no doe tags, there will be even less people up north..........

The DNR should keep the buck rule, what they need to due is get rid of baiting and feeding, but with present politics, that is not going to happen....

The north is different though..... From my conversation with my friends the NW part of the state see a heck of alot of pressure, compared to the NE.......

I know alot of MN hunters who go there, but no one in MI, is coming across the Brule to hunt... Most pressure in the NE is Oconto and Marinette Counties, pretty much stops by Hwy 8......

The kill numbers will be intresting to see this year.... And I hope it will be along time before they allow the slaughter of fawns and does again.....

You bet I have killed bucks up here in the last few years........... but I can say, I never dropped a fawn or nubby or doe, in many years, in the north, and I always got doe tags, only to burn them in my fire........

You see those young bucks need to be born first...........

If I want to shoot does, and yes I do eat alot of venison, I go to my sister in laws in Big Falls in Waupaca Co......

13-Jul-14
You are not seeing hunters?? Are you in all 18 doe only counties ?? They are wacking them someplace... bow buck kills have reached record highs in recent years.. now add the xgunners and a scope sitting a feed pile?? You don't think more bucks will be gone when you cant grind up a smoothie?? We certainly don't need more gone... Heck in some of these areas guys don't see a horn now. Or have not for several years and you think adding another weapon to the season will improve on that??

Your right . Baiting and feeding is a huge problem.. then you put guys who have not bow hunted on the bait piles during the archery season with xguns ..?? I think it's time to sell the hunting land and and spend those funds in other states with better regs. That are managed to improve hunting

13-Jul-14
I just think if you can't shoot a doe in the unit.. you certainly shouldn't be able to shoot more than 1 buck until the population recovers... doing so makes no sense.. These units could be no doe for several years... so you protect the nibbles until they get a 3 inch spike .. then by by..lol.. may as well shot the nibble if they are wiped out when the are legal 105lb. Deer the next year.. no difference ..dead is dead..

And with only 1 buck tag.. you prolly are going to be a little more picky. And take a pass on the 105lb. Year and half and hold out for a little better ..thus putting more bucks in the field in these hard hit counties.

13-Jul-14
Antler whore - Says:

"Your right . Baiting and feeding is a huge problem.. then you put guys who have not bow hunted on the bait piles during the archery season with xguns ..?? I think it's time to sell the hunting land and and spend those funds in other states with better regs. That are managed to improve hunting"

How in the world are the crossbow folks going to kill deer at those bait piles when we all know that baiting makes deer nocturnal!!

Come on AW - gotta go with ole' Razor on his post!

13-Jul-14
AW-+1. The WI dnr wants to maximize revenue without realizing the negitive impact it has on hunting in this state. The doe population is minimal up north and in the future the bucks will be to. Add crossguns in and it will be even worse. It's getting to the point where a guy needs to either own or lease land.

13-Jul-14
rickflair + 1.

13-Jul-14
+2 for rick

13-Jul-14
AW - Here is another thought. I do understand what you are saying, you do have an arguement, but what county are you in, in the north. I am thinking somewhere in the NW.......

You will not see many bucks, sitting on a bait pile during LEGAL hours. And also hunting has changed.

Because of baiting/feeding, and very few hunters putting miles of boot leather on the ground, they see very few or any deer for the most part.......

Add to that a shortage of time to hunt, and you bet they are not seeing deer. But if you have the time, and that is what is needed, believe me, there are bucks north of Hwy 8.....

I know deer drives are taboo on this site, but I met a guy, two weeks ago, in 10's area. I measured a deer for him, and was looking at his springer pups. The deer this guy and his family have taken, in the last 10 years is impressive.

They have 8 brothers and cousins, and these guys pound the ground, from daylight to sunset, in areas most guys will not walk in, and they shoot some nice deer.... These guys were true woodsman, from talking to this guy...... I even picked his brain, as a solo hunter,,,,, you can always learn from someone

Also why do I see so many young bucks in MI, and not in Wis..... Because they have choices... I love their bonus buck, by going with combo tags, which then have APR attached to the selection of what can be taken.......... Most guys are buying combo tags, and the proof, it works even on public land, is the amount of deer I see.

Here is an example. 10 said he hunts Vilas County... He will see a few deer, in time hunted, but north of Watersmeet, in the Ottawa, last fall I saw over 10 bucks from spikes to basket 6 pointers.... Both have similar terrain, and winters, food etc, predators.... I have seen what APR does, and its beneficial, and I am not a Trophy hunter, but it has put more deer on the landscape

13-Jul-14

happygolucky's Link
rick ;), I think trapper was referring to the attached link.

13-Jul-14
To me it's simple numbers.... If there is not enough deer to tag a doe in a unit... then there certainly is not enough bucks to tag 2 by anyone... it is a unbalanced approach to keep the money train rolling... at the expense of the herd.. and the landowners in these counties... your not gonna kill a buck with a pile of feed and a xgun??? Your right.. to me a buck .. A true back carries more antler than you would fit in your bait bucket ... allowing multiple bucks and zero does means all the deer that are young and trained 9 a feed pile will be the deer killed there... which means their antlers will always fit in your bucket ...

Either way.. to the DNR. These are now the #1 animal and source of sausage meat in 18 counties!!! .. really?? Add the xgun kill and what's the future looking like..lol... multiply that by 2 a year for guys that eat a lot.. and in a few short years you will have damaged the buck population to the extent that there is no point in owning a acre of northern WI... unless you just like feeding mosquitoes. .. LOL some of us can't wait 10 years for it to recover ..

If there are plenty of bucks.. then there should be plenty of does .. which there isn't enough to harvest..sooooooo. 1 buck is more than fair in these decimated counties

Heck some maybe should be closed to all deer hunting to get the herd back.. but killing off all your young bucks ... is like cutting your nose off despite your face

13-Jul-14
AW+2.

13-Jul-14
Another thing not touched on yet. The groups that do remain hunting in the buck only units during gun season will now just shoot more young bucks. No doe tags, no problem. Their will be uncles, aunts, cousins grandparents, sisters nieghbors cousin that will have tags to fill. Yup that party hunting is a great thing.

13-Jul-14
It's just not right for a buck taken to be disrespected with anyone else's tag then the guy who killed it... it's a respect type thing to the animal for giving it's life... and i dont see a reason for guys to disrespect the animals killed by using someone else's tag who did not kill it.. that animal word still be alive for everyone to enjoy ..

Just me.

13-Jul-14
Rut - That's "group bagging" "party hunting" (party permit) went off the landscape when I was turning 20 years old, many moons ago! :^)

Antler - Sentimental - but not the way most folks think! There is a mentality afoot called "fillin' tags" and it's as old as the hills!

"Yup, me and the boys filled up last year"

Some guys wear it like a badge of honor! And they my friend are idiots! But the world is full of them as we all know.

14-Jul-14
I hear ya BT... plenty of idiots to go around .. Filling tags... lol... taken names.... If it's legal ... lol...

It's all just the same excuse to justify actions. .. very little respect to the animal anymore... and is why you see so many way over board poachers these days... society is excepting less respect for the deer by hunters..

To me the deer and being able to hunt wild ones is far more important ..Unfortunately it's not going to get better.. everyone wants the easy way out..

Maybe some one needs to start a archery season... recurve/ long bow only.. In those days you had to respect the game... you had no choice.

14-Jul-14
"Maybe some one needs to start a archery season... recurve/ long bow only.. In those days you had to respect the game... you had no choice. "

Get rid of all the wheels and only true archers will remain. The playing field will be leveled and people will be forced to really hone their skills.

14-Jul-14
The weapon does not make the hunter.... I shoot a recurve, 98% of the time. That does not make me a better hunter or woodsman, it just is an effective weapon, and could not haul that compound thru the woods, with my style of hunting..... I have used the compound on the praries of SD and WY where I needed to be spot on at 35 yards..........

I meet alot of good hunters, and I know alot of guys have respect for the animal........

I think what has gone wrong today is the commercialization of deer hunting. I mean its TV hunting, baiting, deer farming, every imaginable item to plant as a food plot.... Then we have fist pumping, and crying, and all kinds of staged emotions set up by producers of these shows.......

I mean come on........ Then its all about scoring, and scoring, like its a baseball game.... Instead of saying, hey thats a nice deer you got, its, "how big are the G2's...........

I believe in the P&Y, and the Buck and Bear Club, but the intentions are to honor an animal, and keep quality records, it should not be about YOU.....

AW - It sounds like you hunt in a very crowded area, where do you hunt?????

14-Jul-14
AW talks about disrespecting a buck by using someone else's tag on it. I don't like group hunting but that's not nearly as disrespecting as putting a tape measure to it once it's shot to see if it "measures up" to what someone feels is acceptable to shoot or not. It's getting real apparent that AW's name really does say what he is, all he cares about is the size of the antlers on the deer. He want's a one buck state so there are less bucks shot and so the ones that are out there grow bigger antlers so he can brag when he shoots one.

14-Jul-14
There you go AGAIN Zinger. Throwing mud and being negative and stirring the pot. Wow...

14-Jul-14
Zinger, are you RC under a different name?

14-Jul-14
So its all about me?? 1 buck is all about me?? Really? I'd gladly give up a buck tag for more bucks to see... especially when in these 18 no doe counties there are so few deer as it is.. why should anyone be allowed to tag more than 1 buck?? I hunt in like 3 of the no doe counties..

they say that 75% of hunters are in the northern half of the state.. If that's even close to true... you have the majority killing bucks only in 18 counties that have so low of herd numbers that you can't kill a doe???

And some how this is about me??

In 2 seasons of this it will take 5 or more to restock the buck herd in these counties.. I maybe hunt 3... so how is this all about me if there still are 15 other counties being hammerred??

It's just stupid management ... If there's not enough does to hunt. 1 buck is more than enough or close the season and let the herd recover for a year or 2... Some guys go years without even seeing a antler.. and that's before xguns over a feed pile ... it isn't going to be pretty for the next 5 to 10 years with just a year or 2 of buck only.

If all I was concerned with was self . Why waste Te here.. everyone knows you need to move to where the deer are.. I can do that.. always have.. however landowners in these counties should be standing on the capital steps in protest of the coming buck slaughter.

14-Jul-14
"they say that 75% of hunters are in the northern half of the state" I have the harvest totals for all 7 seasons by county and by dmu. Here's the breakdown of all counties at or north of hwy 8. Total antlered=26,000=18% of the state take. antlerless=29,000 or 14% of the state take. Barron and Polk combined for a large chunk of the antlerless take.

By comparison, Waupaca county, with a small land mass harvested more bucks than Florence, Forest, Iron, and Washburn counties COMBINED. The difference is habitat, climate and private land managment with the wolf being a very small factor.

41,000 archery bucks for how many licenses sold? 102,000 gun bucks for how many licenses sold? What % of the gun only hunters actually killed a buck vs. tagged(party hunting)a buck?

Bottom line is the DNR wants that $24 buck tag revenue.

14-Jul-14
Zinger - gotta show a little more love man - Wow!

AW - Really, how many guys in this State shoot two bucks a season? I know many many hunters and I cannot think of one of them. Maybe Im off base here, but I really dont think it would really shock the conscience the truth be told.

Yes, there will be the "fillin tags" guys but I like to think they are a dying breed.

Bucks can and often are hard to kill, some ya could kill with a hockey stick! WEe may very well be surprised with the numbers.

I hunt like a monkey in rut and I can tell you I have never done it, never killed two bucks in a season! Not that I couldn't have, but I like to shoot larger deer and thus pass on many - I think many here do the same in part.

As far as baiting we know that deer are nocturnal at bait piles so that's not even a issue. :^)

At the risk of sounding disrespectful (apology if I am), I look at this as the "chicken little" mentality - any change that occurs and some folks go running around the barnyard yelling "the sky is falling," when in reality only the weather has changed and something new is on the horizon.

14-Jul-14
Yep.. that's the problem November... thee almighty soup line the GOV'T creates in every agency reigns supreme... over common sense.

Screw the private land owner who pays big taxes and big Jing for his little piece of the pie... it really doesn't pay to own land in one of these 18 counties for hunting... to hunt what?? Squirrels? Rabbits?? What?

Don't get me wrong.. If the deer numbers allowed a antlerless kill .. it would not be near as bad.. but watch those numbers you posted over buck only seasons... lol.. I think they will tell the story of what I am predicting ..

Crappy deer hunting gets crappier .. Instead of better

14-Jul-14
Something new is on the horizon.. scoped xguns over a feed pile.. that's new... untested... and purely speculative as far as results.. however.. If hunting deer in counties with low enough herd numbers that you can't kill a doe... then how do you expect there to be more bucks to hunt when you have more hunters adding the xgun ??

The buck kill will be much higher with this addition and the fact you can't shoot a sausage deer without antlers...

And your saying the sky is not falling?

Add the news after a few years of buck only you and xguns... and you will see.. I would rather see them reform the bag limits prior to the slaughter of what few bucks are left in these counties.. After the slaughter .. guys like me will be pushing daisy's by the time there is a decent buck population.

15-Jul-14
"Crappy deer hunting gets crappier .. Instead of better" Guess I'm the opposite, instead of getting worse, my hunting is getting a heck of a lot better! Years of hard work improving my land, saving money instead of spending it on fancy stuff and bars has afforded me the opportunity to keep purchasing land to manage it for a better herd. Yup it is getting better!

15-Jul-14
Wisconsin hunters have no idea how good they have it. Many states have a multiple year point system for a buck tag let alone otc buck tags for multiple weapons. See Ia. /Il. A solid elk/mulie unit in Az./Nv/Co. takes 8-20 years to draw a tag.

15-Jul-14
Trapper - I agree with you! My family and I have enjoyes deer hunting with bow and gun for years and it is as good or better each year!

Guess it depends were you are in the State, but I have no complaints.

I believe those folks that complain or the most part have a legitimate complaint - others, just like to complain.

15-Jul-14
I feel sorry for public land hunters and those with wolves.

Private guys, QDM works. I am a living example and trust me, I did it myself and I am not a rocket scientist. Every year it gets better. I am not the only one doing it, some neighbors are in

This is a huge sign. One xbow, baiting, beer drinking and smoking on the stand neighbor put in a food plot. Baiting became illegal this year in our county. I am elated. He normally takes a bunch of bucks drinking, smoking and hunting with his bait pile ( yea I know I should report the guy but he doesn't harm me personally and he cracks me up). He is going to follow the law!!!!! He is now improving the neighborhood instead if hurting it.

15-Jul-14
Bull - Interesting if your neighbor is/was baiting - the food plot - I guess I'm not clear on that? If one is baiting why the plot?

If you've spent any time on this site Bull you know that bucks do not get killed over bait as they are nocturnal at bait sites and therefore unkillable. :^)

I guess I am wondering what you would have reported your neighbor for? Was the bait excessive? I dont advocate nor would I ever dream of drinking on stand, but some drink a beer - not illegal. If he's disabled or over 65 the Xbow was OK and the smoking other than a bad idea, is just as legal.

Interesting! Any insite?

16-Jul-14
He'd shoot more than one buck which is illegal

Bait and xbow are like shooting fish in a barrel. He laughs at me. Says the hardest part is managing the sound of opening his beer and taking a leak without being seen

16-Jul-14
Bull - Don't feel sorry for me, and I hunt public land, and I do so by choice. My sister in law is in Waupaca Co, hunt there only when I visit, which is never in the fall anyway.......

Gave up hunting Trempeleau Co, and I had a primo spot on a nice farm of 135 acres, and saw alot of nice bucks there, and got lucky once in awhile.......

But I am happiest, hunting the UP, and parts of N Wis. I love my UP spots, go in via canoe, lots of quiet, sometimes camp out, and I can roam roam roam.......

Quality of bucks is not the same, but its a challenge and one that I relish. You have to hunt where you are having the most fun. I guess in alot of ways I am still a kid at heart.

95% of all contacts with anyone have always been positive, and I have met some real characters.... Back in Trempeleau, lots of property line wars, etc,,,,, just not for me,,,,,

Going back to the UP on Friday, so that will be it for me on the site for quite awhile, only get to town every two weeks, where I can check on the site from the library,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wolves have really been no problem, they are a 2 edge sword. On one hand they show me, there are still some wild spots left, on the other, they are tough on the deer come winter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16-Jul-14
"He'd shoot more than one buck which is illegal"

Ya gotta be kidding me here Bull - this guy shoots more than one buck? With a crossbow and bait? Really?

Well he's not a hunter at all then. He's a poacher!And ya say, "He doesnt harm me personally?" I beg to differ!

He not only is hurting you as an adjoining landowner -he's hurting every legal bowhunter as well. His behavior is reprehensable.

You say you find this neighbor can be as funny? He can be as funny as Jay Leno - but you live right next door to a criminal! Would you find him so funny if he was stealing things out of your garage? How about all the garages in the area? How about stealing some stuff out of the cars parked in the nieghborhood?

He's stealing deer from you, me and every other lawful bowhunter in the State.

He is committing a criminal act Bullwinkle - and he really needs to be stopped.

If your not part of the solution here, your part of the problem!

I understand how nieghbors dont want to "get involved" - I really understand. But there are things you can do "without" getting involved personally to put a stop to this illegal behavior.

Quite a world we live in!

16-Jul-14
"Bait and xbow are like shooting fish in a barrel."

Bull, couldn't you substitute xbow with ANY weapon and get the same result?

16-Jul-14
I am an outsider. You think I am going to mess with my neighbors. This is country law out by me. I am in the sticks. Guys shoot deer and turkey's all the time when they want in the sticks. You're kidding yourself if you think this isn't happening.

Outsiders don't mess with locals and fair very well. I talked to him in a nice way and told him what harm he is doing. He is changing - that's the right way neighbors deal with things in the country

He does crack me up.

If he quits baiting, that will be a huge step forward in the neighborhood.

16-Jul-14
Bullwinkle, come on man, you seem like a better guy than that. If you are ignoring it, you are as bad as the poacher.

16-Jul-14
So I am the only one who knows someone who shot an illegal deer, baited illegally, shot an illegal turkey, shot an illegal wolf or other illegal violations and didn't call them in?????

I find that very hard to believe.

I talked to him and he agreed to change. I like how I handled this. No threats, convinced him of a behavior change and still have a relationship.

He quit baiting and built a food plot - pretty stinking cool

16-Jul-14
Happy.... no... you can't substitute and weapon for a xgun....you see you can't use a light gathering alumina tad scope on a real piece of archery equipment... This means xguns can kill far later after hours than a real bow...

That also means more dead bucks in the baited 18 buck only counties..

Lol... I can't believe so few here see this... I have not talked to 1 single hunter who thinks this is not a problem in these buck only counties.... oh well.. I guess time will tell... cause the slaughter is 9 only 8 weeks away... get your corn ready boys and girls... load them rages on those bolts ... wack those bucks off..When they are gone .. no worries .. you will have the nibbles to wack. Next season... All 100 lbs of them... man what satisfaction that must be..LOL

16-Jul-14
My neighbor tucks himself in a ladder stand, xbow propped up aiming at the corn pile. He doesn't hardly have to move to shoot. Now he does move to light and get the ash off his cigarettes and to open a beer and pee.

Shoots a bigger buck than I do almost every year I am ashamed to admit. He can hunt every day since he lives there. One stand on a piece if land with a house and less than 10 acres. I have 54 stands, plant 15-16 acres for the deer and a almost as many tax parcels as he had acres.

Xbows and corn are a deadly combination

16-Jul-14
AW - I trap with a guy, who thinks the whole season north of Hwy 8 should just be closed, at least for this coming season......... So you are not alone... I am just saying

I do not agree with that, but there are some who do.... It will not happen

By the way no doe kill allowed in the UP except for Menomonee Co this year

16-Jul-14
"Xbows and corn are a deadly combination"

So is using a rifle outside gun season or a BB program. Everyone has their line of ethics and tolerance. As long as it falls under the regs I personally could care less.

Half of the state now is no baiting including Waupaca. That also means running illegal mineral sites in the entire state off season.Either protect the resource and call the tip line or don't grouse about it. Imo, the net effect of xbows will be minimal.

16-Jul-14
I don't care what the weapon of choice is. If you have a deer with its head planted in a corn pile, that is like shooting fish in a barrel.

17-Jul-14
Antler Whore - These methods of killing deer have been available to the poacher long ago. Your right about one thing....like just about everything we debate - it's a wait and see.

17-Jul-14
Bullwinkle - Previous "bait debate" on this site has proven two things:

A. Deer are nocturnal at bait sites and B. Big bucks are not shot off bait sites.

I dont know how your violating "criminalistic" nieghbor is shooting these bucks!

17-Jul-14
BS... big deer are shot all the time over bait...between the last 2 minutes of light and the first 15 minutes after hours ... dead is dead.... and the first thing a guy says when he shows only his prize is not he was standing there at my feed pile giving a easy 20 yard shot... it's I hunted him for 3 years hard.. and finally he made a mistake.... but they always leave the fact they have a bait pile out of the story..why is that??? I mean it's a respectable way to harvest isn't it???? So why not just be honest with your peers 2 when you want to show off your big buck??? 8 am willing to bet that 75% of all bucks killed with a bow are baited.... and prolly 25% of gun bucks are dumped on a pile...

Even in bait free counties a ton of bucks are shot over the feed pile... If it were not the case.. why then would so many fight to keep a pile of feed being legal???

Makes no sense to fight for it if your not using it... does it???

Now thro the rifle hunters in the bow season with their new Xrifle ...lol.. I see the are making them in a AR style now....funny...

8 talked to the biggest archery shop by me at a show this spring.. he said he can't keep xguns instock... but we be shipping some bows as non currents on Ebay cause they aren't selling like in past years... lol.. just wait.... This is gonna be a mess .

17-Jul-14
" B. Big bucks are not shot off bait sites."

100% correct. 4-6 yo bucks are not coming to a bait pile.In fact they will run the other way.

17-Jul-14
I know dozens of area big deer over the years that were wacked with a mouthful of dumped corn... lol.... If you don't think it is happening.. that's fine.. they are standing in broad daylight at feed piles on TV all the time... here thru pressure it is the last 2 minutes of legal time to the first 10-15 minutes after hours..who would know the diff...?? The deer cam pics ?

No mighty hunter would admit it.. so who knows??? But the big deer are always showing up in trucks.. and many times those same trucks have evidence of corn

I also know guys who bait heavy.. but when they tag a nice buck... it never is where they are baiting for some odd reason??? Lol..

17-Jul-14
Shooting bucks over corn is easy with a bow. I did it for years. Got some 120" as well.

Deer do become nocturnal quicker in big woods with corn piles when there is pressure. No reason to move in daylight to feed, easy to head to the pile.

17-Jul-14
Well that's funny as one who advocate deer baiting on a part time basis - I was always told on this site that deer are nocturnal at bait sites and no big bucks are ever shot at bait sites...very interesting stuff!

I like to bait from time to time, in the late season I find it somewhat effective.

Rut - You spout off plenty of data - but do you have any documented proof or studies? Would be interesting to see. Do you have personal knowledge of deer being shot at bait sites 2 minutes before close and 15 minutes after? Interesting....I'm sure it happens with or without bait, but really as much as you would like folks to believe - hard to believe.

And no, Bullwinkle nothing is "easy" in bow hunting - been doing it 40 years now. It's always a challenge and never a "sure" thing!

Deer browse.

They simply do not eat shelled corn as diets in deer heards call for more. We as hunters should know that.

Think of it as if everyone of us ate nothing but hotdogs for 2-3 weeks straight and nothing else? Feel a little sick maybe? Deer browse for a reason.

So for those of you that believe a deer lies 100 yards from a bait pile,, gets up and eats and go's back and lay's down - you really need to do some research.

17-Jul-14
"Rut - You spout off plenty of data - but do you have any documented proof or studies? Would be interesting to see. Do you have personal knowledge of deer being shot at bait sites 2 minutes before close and 15 minutes after? Interesting....I'm sure it happens with or without bait, but really as much as you would like folks to believe - hard to believe."

BT, that wasn't me this time, I think it was AW.

18-Jul-14
Well Damn Rut, I owe you an apology then Sir! Please accept!

18-Jul-14
Wow. What a thread.

18-Jul-14
Bloodtrail - if you've been baiting and bow hunting deer for 40 years and don't consider it easy you must been a really bad hunter, hunt very poor lands, or your buck expectations are high (1 and 2 year olds are easy animals to get patterned to a pile of corn/molasses or apple).

I did it (baited) for years. Most years I filled my tag opening weekend. It got so easy I quit. Became ashamed of myself for hunting that way.

Took up hunting them on trails and became very successful at that. Then decided to buy land and develop it - by far my best journey

18-Jul-14
Hunting any legal buck is different from hunting mature bucks and hunting 1 mega buck is a whole new game requiring anal tactics that most are not willing to do. Step one is booting everyone and all activity from the property to feed the self centered ego of the next self proclaimed whitetail god.

18-Jul-14
Bull - Well I am neither a bad hunter, hunter of "poor" land. My expectations may be high but isnt everyone's?

I still maintain my friend, that there is nothing in bow hunting that is "easy" - gun hunting is much easier for me.

There are no guarantees at 12 - 15 - 20 - 25 shots, we've all been there! Nothing easy! If bowhunting was "easy" I would quit and I think most on here would as well.

As far as you being ashamed I find that interesting Bullwinkle! Your relating that you felt ashamed when your doing something that at the time was perfectly legal (baiting). But stopped when you felt ashamed.

In the same token you've NOT related any shame when you had full knowledge of your criminal neighbor killing multiple bucks illegally. And then sitting quietly on the sidelines.

Ya want to feel ashamed about something Bullwinkle...there ya go!

Every buck on my wall or European mount (and there's quite a few) was shot with the aid of a grunt call or a set of rattlin' horns, with only one exception.

I'm glad your now shooting deer on trails and your now having a wonderful journey!

Truth be told, baiting is really no different from the Xbow rant - when someone believes that someone else may be getting the upper hand using a weapon or a method that they perceive as an advantage in the whitetail world, they get pissy!

18-Jul-14
Does "buy land and develop it" mean that you now plant your bait instead of pouring it out of a bag?

18-Jul-14
" Does "buy land and develop it" mean that you now plant your bait instead of pouring it out of a bag?"

1)Sanctuary plan 2)Thermal bedding planting plan 3) TSI/hinge cutting 4)woody browse plantings 5)soft/hard mast plantings 6)Waterhole installations 7) wetland improvements 8)stand placement strategy(gun/bow/doe) 9)Trailcam surveys/herd health/ management plan 10) property goals/guidelines 11)neighbor/warden relations/communication 12)predator control 12.5)Visual block on every foodplot and road for zero shining. 13)Oh yea, a 12 month food plot plan not just the 100 day deer season.

90% of landowners don't spend 5 minutes doing any of these.Look at your breakfast plate. The chicken is involved, the pig is all in.

18-Jul-14
I do every one except 4 and 7.

Food plots are only a part of my strategy.

Blood - I didn't do nothing with my neighbor. I spoke to him man to man and guess what - he's changing. I am shocked you guys don't see this as a good thing. It relates to novembers #11

18-Jul-14
One more point.

Ever hear anyone brag about shooting a buck over bait? Like "they came right into the corn and a shot it"

You never do - people who bait are ashamed of it as well.

When was the last time you read a how to, this happened to me baiting story in the hunting magazines? What about tv? Never. It is the part of hunting that is shameful

18-Jul-14
BW, it's all about culture in the area you're hunting. Go to Texas and baiting is common and accepted, if you shoot a big buck over bait in Texas you brag about it. You also see it on TV. If you get out of the elietest mentality there are a lot of people who bait and are proud of the bucks they shoot over it. I know two guys who have shot a lot of P&Y bucks with bait piles, they don't hunt directly over them but use them to attract does and shoot the bucks down wind when they come in to check the does.

I don't bait, I've done it and I just didn't care for it, but I have no problem with anyone doing it as long as it's legal. I look at it the same as the guy who plants a food plot right next to, or in, the woods. He's putting out food for the deer so that when they come in they can be shot.

18-Jul-14
Zinger. I agree with your comments about tx but they down play it big time. Try not shooting or filming deer at the feeder. Don't use feeders so the ave joe thinks the deer are eating the weeds and not the corn in them.

Food plots are significantly different than baiting. Not even close. I have 15-16 acres of plots that the deer can enter from every direction. Not a 2' circle 20 yards from my stand. Oh by the way, you can tuck the corn in some sticks so the deer have to face away from you for a perfect quartering away shot. Fish in the barrel.

18-Jul-14
"Does "buy land and develop it" mean that you now plant your bait instead of pouring it out of a bag?"

So Zinger does that mean you think enhancement of natural food sources and hing cutting is baiting?

18-Jul-14
Bullwinkle - I see baiting on shows in northern Canada on a fairly regular basis!

And no, I am not ashamed to say that on occasion mostly in the late season, I do bait! No shame here! It's legal, I follow the law and I have nothing to be ashamed about and neither does anyone else that follows the rules.

As far as your bait plots Bullwinkle, you can swing it anyway you want. You plant food plots to attract deer onto your property. Then you shoot them. I do the same thing - plant a food plot and shoot a deer in it. Your baiting deer only on a larger scale.

So if someone positions deer at a bait site "fish in a barrel" What? - "tuck the corn in some sticks" - That's called a "crib" use it bear/deer baiting - ya sure you ever baited before?

Bull - I dont know what you said to your neighbor to change his criminal behavior - but I've been around enough criminals in my time to know the chances of your counseling changing his behavior are pretty slim. Hope it works, you have to hunt next to him - Good Luck!

18-Jul-14
Blood, you're right about Canada and bait.

18-Jul-14
I've put out 2 gallons of corn in front of cameras during season and the coons, squirrels and birds ate it all in one night. It makes no sense to me. I enjoy spraying, discing, seeding, and watching the plot grow. Basically for late season since my plots are all around big ag fields.

18-Jul-14
Mature bucks in Canada come to bait due to lack of pressure vs. how hard Sconnie deer get pursued 100 days each fall. My 12 acres of plots are really geared toward Dec.-April and they border my 140 of ag anyway. They will hit the pumpkins and rape in November but the turnips/fhr then green winter rye all winter helps them come into March/April looking good. Past opening weekend mature bucks aren't in the food plots during legal hours anyway.

18-Jul-14
rjn - Wow - you got some hungry coons! All in one night?

We got to get together man, I got some DP traps just waiting for coon in October/November! :^)

It's funny how we as hunters see things differently from each other especially when baiting is involved. But the practice is not for everyone, just like xbows and muzzleloaders I guess.

Deer do come to bait sites in the daylight - I have only shot one 10 point off bait and a good share of does over the years.

Baiting does not "make" deer nocturnal - they are creatures of the dark to begin with, limited daytime activity most often.

Some baiting causes "turf" wars. We see it during gun season, bear season...even guys running bear dogs see it. Heck, guys just walking to their stand experience it. It's public land...going to happen, I wish it wouldn't!

Deer browse - in a 24 hour period they eat many different things - they have to!! They do not "just" eat shell corn and lay down. They need a mixture of food sources. Everything from acorns to mushrooms and sapling browse, clover to name a few are on the menu!

20-Jul-14
WOW!

Yes, we should all hunt the same way. Follow the laws, be ethical. As far as ethics go, everyone has a different view on the ethics. Let's just get along and enjoy the hunt.

If you see a person breaking the law, they are not a hunter; they are a violator and it is your responsibility as a law abiding person to turn them in.

Time for this thread to die!

• Sitka Gear