bill v 01-Oct-14
horsethief51 01-Oct-14
Rut Nut 01-Oct-14
swiggy 03-Oct-14
Rut Nut 15-Oct-14
Rut Nut 15-Oct-14
rust4brains 19-Oct-14
06-Jul-14
Well I usually wait till around the Fourth of July to get this thing started, so here we go.

The time is now, to get registered to attend our 7th Annual 5C doe hunt down here in Southeastern Pa. The dates for this years event are Sept. 25th thru the 27th, thats Thursday thru Saturday. We will again be headquartered and camping out at the Kutztown Family Campground and hunting all across the areas that comprise 5C. The properties that we have aquired are mainly in Lehigh, Berks and Northampton Co. but you are free to hunt anywhere you have permission. You are not required to hunt our properties.

The event is open to UBP members only, and there will be a sign up table at the registration booth. Please contact Perry Hartmann, (Rut Nut) to pre-register ASAP, as we need to get a head count for the Saturday night pig roast. Stay tuned for further updates as they come up

06-Jul-14
~(8o)

07-Jul-14
I'll be there but will not be at the pig roast. It's my wife's birthday.

07-Jul-14
Should be quite a turnout this year(Thanks to Dale H! ;-) Already have a good number on The List. :)

07-Jul-14
I already have my bear license. Gonna hunt with Dale. :)

07-Jul-14
Rut Nut, You can count Crista and I in again this year.

07-Jul-14
You can be my wingman anytime Phil ~(8o)

07-Jul-14
Phil- we were gonna auction that spot off as a fundraiser- figure we could raise quite a nice donation for UBP! ;-)

08-Jul-14
Great idea.

08-Jul-14
I'm not coming this year . There is no doe here . All the doe have antlers . Lol

09-Jul-14
I had a dream last night that I shot 2 doe at the 5C hunt....

09-Jul-14

I'm not coming this year . There is no doe here . All the doe have antlers . Lol

............or paws! ;-)

09-Jul-14
Is there any reports of bears?

09-Jul-14
Yes, talked to Joe the other night and he said there was a report of one in the area last week.

Last year the owner of Weaknecht's archery took one later in the season nearby, and Mitch(Dave Mitchell-PGC Land Manager) said there was a bigger bear in the area that Dale shot his(around the time of our hunt). In fact, when he heard Dale shot a bear, he assumed it was that one, until he saw it. He said the other bear was much bigger than Dales(and Dale's was 292 ;-) There was also another one that Dan Smoker was after that was spotted later in the archery season over in Emmaus, but the PGC had to trap and relocate it before he could get an arrow in it! ;-)

So you see why we encourage EVERYONE to get a bear tag for the 5C hunt???!!! ;-)

09-Jul-14
We found fresh bear poop the day we met the farmer. Only this was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from where I killed my bear. Actually we suggested to Dale and his daughter to put their blind up there. That bear would be close to 500# come season.

FWIW- there were, I believe, 4 Bears killed in 5C during the early archery season- most within a couple miles of the 5C hunt hq's.

I'm gonna go on a doe hunt:)

09-Jul-14
Dale- just to be clear- you are talking about Dale MILLER and his daughter, right?

09-Jul-14
Yes his blind was on the same farm but a ways from where I was. He was about 30 yds from a fresh pile O'bearpoop.

I don't remember if we told him that :)

09-Jul-14
LOL! :)

10-Jul-14
Through the coarse of the Summer there have been quite a few reports of bears all over the 5C area including the cities of Bethlehem, Easton and Kutztown. Hunting in Western N.J. the last few years, I have seen as many as five bears on a bow sit. I believe this is where the influx come from the East. Also the is a strong population on the Blue mountain, which for the most part, forms the North boundery to 5C

Did I mention there's a ton of does down here as well!

10-Jul-14
Joe- that is consistent with what the WCO told us when we took Dale's bear to be checked in. He said bears constantly run the blue mountain from Northern NJ all the way west to Daughin Co.(near Harrisburg). He said it is a major travel corridor and they will drop down into the southern WMU's from there.

12-Jul-14
I can not wait trying to get a few others from work to come along. Great time last year. Ready to take a doe and get my name on the ground hog board! Should have had one last year.

14-Jul-14
Sounds good! The farmers always appreciate gettin' rid of those whistle pigs too! ;-)

28-Jul-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
We just approved a new design for the T-shirts

28-Jul-14
Shouldn't it be 'Whack"?

28-Jul-14
They had to get "h" permission from the Amish Phil....:)

29-Jul-14

Good eye Phil! Just seeing who is paying attention! ;-)

30-Jul-14
I've already scheduled leave for the hunt. Should roll in just before dark Wednesday.

04-Aug-14
Sounds good Mike!

Phil- guess nobody was paying attention the last couple years. I checked and the "old" shirts had WACK! ;-)

04-Aug-14
OK- just saw the new design after correction- looks good! ;-)

04-Aug-14
Sorry Perry, wasn't paying attention. :)

04-Aug-14
No problem, it's fixed now! ;-)

04-Aug-14
Now I'll sleep better.

04-Aug-14

17-Aug-14
Got 40 registered hunters now and getting a call or e-mail every couple days. Lots of new folks this year too! Looks like we're gonna have another good turnout!

17-Aug-14
I can't make it, have to be in Pittsburgh that weekend.

18-Aug-14
Sorry to hear that, Mike! One of these years........................... ;-)

25-Aug-14
This thing is blowing up! Last year we had fifty five hunters attend the event. This year it will be probably be between eighty and one hundred bowhunters attending!

We are still meeting with landowners and farmers, trying to secure a few more acres to hunt. Even with this many people, we should have plenty of property to hunt. A few years ago, I would have never imagined that we could secure so much traditionally posted property, to hunt.

Just a note to some of the local guys, we will be meeting the Sat. before the event at the campground around 10 A.M. We would like to move one of the small cabins into place to begin setting up camp. That's Sept. 20th

I would hope that everyone has been honing your skills throughout the Summer. We have a few suburban properties that will require some real snipers, as 100 yard blood trails are not an option.

25-Aug-14
I am so glad to hear this Joe. I have some stuff to send to Dan and he said he did not need anymore of the 5c hunt post cards. Love to see you all hit 25 %, plus a bear or two.

26-Aug-14
Yep, this thing has grown into something none of us could have imagined just a few short years ago!

Just the good will and relationships we have developed with the local landowners and community is amazing!

And the "legend" of Dale's bear was priceless last year! The next day it was all over Kutztown that someone had shot a bear.(2 of our group heard it at the Farmer's market and then again at the local Giant supermarket). By Sat. it had "grown" from 292 lbs to over 600! ;-)

29-Aug-14
Talked to Joe last night. He picked up another free standing canopy, so we can extend the BIG TENT another 20 ft. Figured we would need the room this year with the numbers continuing to rise.

29-Aug-14
Day off today, going out to look at a local vineyard having deer damage problems. Owner says he would like to have ALL the deer gone!

29-Aug-14
Perry, I was planning to bring my 10 x 10 free standing canopy as well.

29-Aug-14
Thanks Bob- me too. If you bring them, we will use them! ;-)

30-Aug-14
Also looking for someone to donate some carp for the stream. Any suggestions?

05-Sep-14
TTT

06-Sep-14
I talked to Joe the other night and Dan Smoker our "property manager" put on 90 miles the other day driving around checking on properties and consulting with landowners.

Committee is busy talking about things we can do to make things better and run smoother. We decided to pick up a large capacity coffee urn for the "hospitality" tent. It will be available to everyone in the mornings (and evenings if desired )

One of the other things we are planning is using tickets for the pizza and pig roast. Everyone (who wishes to participate) will be given a ticket when you pay,check in to camp and complete final registration. That way we don't have to scramble to collect money from everyone right before the pizza and pig gets there. It will already be done, and thus should make mealtime more relaxed and enjoyable.

06-Sep-14
Hey guys names Matt. I'm a new member to UBP and to archery and was told to check out the 5c doe hunt by toxopholite from hunting pa. Was hoping to get some info where to go and how it all runs and look forward to meeting everyone.

06-Sep-14
Hi Matt I'm tox from over there glad to see you here on the Bowsite.

06-Sep-14
Thanks Dale! I appreciate all the help you have given me. now can I register for this there or do I do it online?

06-Sep-14
Easiest way is to send a PM to RUT NUT.

06-Sep-14
Welcome Matt, This hunt is a lot of fun with some great people. Just like Pappy said get a hold of Rut Nut and he can fill you in on all the details.

06-Sep-14
He'll be here soon.....

06-Sep-14
Welcome Matt, you will be getting a great intro into our organization and some of the great things we do for bowhunting in this state.

I built a new and permanent meat pole for the campground this weekend. I may go down there tomorrow and ratchet strap it to the tree so its ready to go.

BTW, we will not be meeting on the 20th at the campground as earlier planned. Gary came up with a whole new plan for the camp arrangements and as usual, it will work out for the best.

We look forward to seeing a lot of our old friends as well as welcoming new members

06-Sep-14
Thanks for the welcome y'all I look forward to meeting everyone and bagging a doe or two. I sent a pm to rut nut, thanks for the advice.

07-Sep-14
Matt, you have a PM! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, haven't been on since earlier in the day fri.

Welcome aboard, and we look forward to meeting you!

17-Sep-14
Well, this time next week I hope to be at Camp Whack-A-Doe(Bear? ;-)

Dan and Joe are STILL picking up new properties! Dan said he picked up a new one that just happened to be right across the street from the vineyard Joe mentioned above.

THen last night Dan picked up another new one that is adjacent to 2 of the farms we are already hunting. That means we have 3 farms back to back to back that we have permission on now.

17-Sep-14
Can't wait.

17-Sep-14
Awesome Perry. Plan to be sitting around the fire at camp wack a doe by this time next week. Picked up my bear tag today.

18-Sep-14
Smart move, Mike! ;-)

18-Sep-14
Got my bear tag, ready to go! Going out this weekend for a little practice so I don't look too bad infront of all you guys!

19-Sep-14
Wish I could be there but I can;t make it this year, Maybe next season. Good luck to all the hunters, have fun and be safe!

19-Sep-14
Sounds good Matt!

Thanks Mike! We plan to have this for many years to come, so one of these years.................. ;-)

19-Sep-14
Welllll the best laid plans...:(

Got my schedule for next week: Afternoon shift starting Wed thru Sunday. I would have to take 3 days off to attend the hunt. Needless to say I'm terribly disappointed. I'm training as a STAA analyst while working 21 turn. Training means my schedule varies.

Worst part is this weekend. Got done today @ 7am. Don't go back until Wed afternoon.... why couldn't this have been next week?

Just bought a 2B tag for Mon and Tuesday.... grrrrrrr

19-Sep-14
That's a shame Dale but completely understandable. Will miss seeing you.

19-Sep-14
I have the 50 Cup coffee pot on my list. First one up, plug it in. (Although you will have to fend for yourselves Thurs am.)

20-Sep-14
Just got 3 tags at the Dauphin County Court Haus hope I use them all.

20-Sep-14
Hunted by the campground today and saw 4 deer - two in the soybeans and two on top of the hill across from the campground. No shots.

All the fields around that SGL have soybeans this year.

21-Sep-14
Dale- WTHeck????? I guess somebody else is just gonna have to shoot the bear this year! OK Folks- Dale's spot will be auctioned off to the highest bidder! ;-)

Jen- we picked up a 42 cup coffee maker for camp, so we'll have that going Thurs. am. But if you bring yours we might need it for Fri. and especially Sat. for the pig roast.

If you can fill 3 tags that would be great- farmers want to see more deer hangin' this year! ;-)

Phil- that sounds good, but we got more farms this year, so probably won't need the SGL!

22-Sep-14
How many deer did ya'll get last year? Did you have a final count?

22-Sep-14
Yes- I believe it was 11. Bowjo can correct me if I am wrong(he has the "stats" ;-). But 11 sticks in my mind.

We're hoping to increase that number substantially!

22-Sep-14
With more farms and more hunters that should increase. I believe there were 55 hunters last year with some only hunting 1 day

22-Sep-14
Actually Dale there were 51 registered hunters last year. And you make a good point- that the vast majority were hunting one or 2 days. Very few of us were hunting 3 solid days.

Another thing we have noticed is that there seems to be more somewhat inexperienced bowhunters in the group. And in NO WAY do I mean that as a criticism! Just an obervation that there are not as many 20+ year bowhunters in the group as in the general public.

That being said, we encourage the less experienced bowhunters to attend the event just as much as the 20 yr vets!

22-Sep-14
Don't forget to factor in the fact most are stepping foot on that farm for the first time. No pre-season scouting. No familiarity what so ever. Nice thing about coming year after year you can start learning some of the farms.

22-Sep-14
That is very true Mike. Some of us have hunted the same properties for 3 years now and have a pretty good handle on things. Also, when you are hunting the same property for 2 or 3 days in a row you can observe things and make adjustments. That's what I have done the last 2 years. See where the deer are moving and if no shot, move 20-30y to be in better position for a shot. Has worked nicely the last 2 years! ;-)

Well, I just got finished washing all my camo, packed up my fanny pack with hunting gear and put everything in the Rubbermaid container. Also shot my last practice arrow tonight before the season opens(for me ;-). Will pack the car tomorrow after work and be on the road Wed. morning to help open up Camp Whack-a-doe(bear? ;-)

23-Sep-14
Well good the to all.

23-Sep-14
Good luck to everyone headed out to Camp Whack-a-Doe/Bear for this hunt. I was really hoping to make it back this year, but once again, work has taken me out of town.:-( I'm saving some vacation time for this time next year! I will be following this thread, anticipating the pictures and stories, and wishing I was there. I have a feeling, that a certain guy on here with some good looking 'arrahs', is going to tag a bear and 'big momma' this year! Happy hunting, enjoy the campfire, and be safe!

23-Sep-14
Weather is looking good where I am going over the weekend. How about over there?

I think the moon will be new Thursday, so that should help.

23-Sep-14

Rut Nut's Link
Thanks Dave- we gonna see ya this weekend?

Josh- Thanks! Still hoping maybe we see ya at the pig roast even if ya can't hunt with us! Oh, and Dale just gave me some tips on proper game and hide care for a bear in warm weather- hopefully we put it to good use this year on someone's bear! ;-)

Art- we got a little nuisance system coming up the coast on Thurs. Tomorrow should be great, rain but cooler thurs and then nice fri/sat but warmer! Bring your hot weather camo guys and gals! :)

23-Sep-14
Will be heading to camp around noon time tomorrow to meet up with Perry and the rest of the committee to begin getting camp set up. Gary will get there shortly thereafter with all the tents, canopies and tarps. I will be in camp all week handling registrations and hanging venison. The camper is packed with plenty of food and drinks to get through till Sunday morning. We have had reports of bears on several properties, and around the area in general.

Safe travel to all, and good luck. We look forward to another safe and successful hunt, and don't forget to pack your safety harness.

BOWJO

25-Sep-14
Was going to hunt this morning, but chickened out due to forecast. Headed down around mid-day.

25-Sep-14
You go girl. A little cloudy over here. Get 'em.

25-Sep-14
Any luck today?

25-Sep-14
Any luck today?

25-Sep-14
There's blood aplenty on the dirt:)

26-Sep-14
I know they took one off the farm I found for them to hunt.Didn't see how big.I had to go to work finishing the owners house

26-Sep-14
Getting off work in an hour then on my way up!

26-Sep-14
Good Morning to all the UBP Members at the 5C Doe Hunt. The Gun Show from WV can't make it this year, but we are going to try hard to work it into our hunting schedule for 2015. Good Luck to everyone and Shoot Straight!!!

26-Sep-14
I leave Hershey, PA just before noon and will be there by 1-1:30. Can't wait!!!

26-Sep-14
I think that there should be a new rule that all that do the 5c hunt should have to do hourly reports on there phones.

:)

26-Sep-14
They still have a BBQ on Saturday night???maybe i'll drop off some blacktail loins for them to try.Fresh from Alaska.I have to go to my daughters family day atkutztown U tomorrow anyway

26-Sep-14
Was there this morning. There were a few deer killed. Lots of folks showed up to hunt. It is very impressive to see the way this is organized and run. Joe, Dan, Gary, Perry and others that I don't intend to overlook make this a first-class event - something that I'm proud to be able to get to even if only for a short time.

27-Sep-14
Bowjo must have put a gag order on everyone!!

27-Sep-14
Might be getting stressful trying to figure out how to take care of forty deer carcasses and make dinner at the same time????

28-Sep-14

PAbowhunter1064's MOBILE embedded Photo

Saturday night dinner at Camp Whack-a-Doe

28-Sep-14

Official cake of the UBP!

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14
I made it out to Camp Whack-a-Doe for the Saturday night pig roast. What an amazing meal! it was great to catch up with old friends, and nice to have made some new ones. A special thanks to all the guys and gals that sets up, organizes, and runs this event! You truly capture the spirit of what the UBP is all about, And all your hard work and efforts are appreciated greatly! Next year I'm bringing my bow, and some new hunters! Thanks again!

28-Sep-14
Yeah !!!Updates, more, more!!! Thanks Pabowhunter.. Next year someone needs to be appointed,,, "information officer".. I must of looked at this thread 15 times this weekend. Maybe more!!! eD

28-Sep-14

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14

28-Sep-14
It was a fun 3 days. Good people, good friends, and good food.

28-Sep-14
Sorry guys, as you can imagine, there is a TON of things to do! Between trying to shoot deer and making sure everyone is fed and knows where they are going, there is nobody to post on here. Maybe next year we can get someone to volunteer to do it!

Once again it was an amazing event with more positives than you can ever imagine!

We had 58 registered hunters and what was really amazing was the 23 registered by 9pm on Wed. evening and ready to hunt in the AM.

We took an even 10 deer with some tough circumstances, not the least of which was the HOT weather. What was encouraging was that we took 3 deer off 2 of the new properties and therefore made a good impression on the landowners! (thanks for hooking up with the winery property, Scott! ;-)

Fortunately, Gary secured a portable (walkin) cooler where we not only stored deer, but food and the keg of birch beer). THe tap was on the outside of the trailer! You can see a picture of it in Bob's second picture behind the guitar player.

Big Momma went to Mitch(Dave Mitchell), Denise Jones was second and a new guy Bob Lebo was a close 3rd. The difference between 1st and 3rd was about 3 lbs, so it was very close! Oh, and Hunter Orwig(one of the juniors) got the VERMINATOR award!

When we recover a little this week we will post some more details. ;-)

28-Sep-14
THANK YOU, UBP 5C Hunt committee!! This event is one that I look forward to year after year. I am amazed at the mix of new hunters and seasoned hunters. All of them, helping one another.

Congratulations to those who whacked a doe. I have never seen soy beans as high as they grow them down there -- up to my armpits!

Thanks to the landowners as this event is not possible without them allowing bowhunters on their property.

Until next year......

29-Sep-14
Congrats to all the successful hunters. Sounds like a good time, wish I lived closer. Maybe we should start one of these hunts in 2B on the western side of the state:))

29-Sep-14
Nice meeting everyone up there! Wont meet a nicer group of people! Was a blast and can't wait to do it again next year.

29-Sep-14
Well we finally finished breaking camp and cleaning up at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, and I was fast asleep by 7:30 that night.

Thank you to all who participated in the event. It is our pleasure to host this event for all our UBP brothers. Perhaps some year we may get a tree rat, or a Farmer or a flintknocker to make the trip.

29-Sep-14
I promise I'll try to schedule my vacation next year to make it. Who wants to truck pool?

Mike

30-Sep-14
I might try to make it also. I get another week vacation next year.

30-Sep-14

30-Sep-14
That would be great, guys! Ben, you could see what we do and get some ideas to start a UBP 2B Hunt out west! ;-)

Would be nice to meet you guys in person some time.

30-Sep-14
As Joe said, we would like to give a BIG THANKS to everyone who participated in this year's event and made it a big success!

Although conditions were tough and the harvest was slightly lower this year, there were many many positives that came out of this year- more than you probably know.

The conduct of everyone who participated this year was outstanding and went a long way to impress and solidify our relationships with the local landowners. This was so great to see and to get such positive comments from the landowners is very encouraging!

We had some folks this year that were very new to hunting and bowhunting. One couple had never actually seen a deer while hunting, and a few others had seen deer but never actually gotten a shot. It was encouraging to see their joy and excitement coming back to camp after a moring or evening hunt.

Also we were not only able to donate deer to HSH this year, we also donated a deer to a friend of one of the members who has cancer and cannot work. We are also looking forward to making a monetary donation to HSH due to the large number of participants this year!

Just so many good things have come from this event, it is really amazing to see! And only due to the great people that participate every year. The Committee would like to thank you all who had a part in this!

30-Sep-14
Congradulations to all of you guys and gals. And a big thanks to all the UBPers who made this happen.

Bet you guys are glad its over, its a ton of work.

Now go and enjoy this season, Good Luck and be safe!

Bill V.

01-Oct-14
Looks like the team did a good job. I couldn't attend due to partially dislocated shoulder. Still not back yet, hope by end of next week I can shoot the bow but I keep re-injuring it........it sucks bei g down in prime time.....

01-Oct-14
Bill- not glad it's over, in fact we were looking forward to next year on Sunday while tearing down and talking about how to make it even better! ;-) Like the Summer Campout, it gives us a year of fond memories to look back on until it's time for the next event! :)

Berks- we were wondering what happened- figured you must have had a good excuse. Sorry it turned out to be a bum shoulder- that stinks! :( Hope you heal up quick and can get out there!

01-Oct-14
Oh Rut, I was waiting for you to say that!!

Since your not glad its over, you should have one in Sept, Oct and Nov :) then a capper in Jan. :))

What ya think?

Bill V

01-Oct-14
Perry would run out of vacation days. LOL.

01-Oct-14
LOL! You set me up, Bill! :)

Yeah Art, and I'm a federal employee! ;-)

03-Oct-14
Will try to make it next year...looks like a good time.

15-Oct-14
Sounds good swiggy- just send me an e-mail or pM.

15-Oct-14

Rut Nut's Link
Zach from Backwoods Sniper Outdoors shot some nice video this year. Check it out if you wanna see what happens at Camp Whack-a-doe(bear? ;-)

19-Oct-14
Better late than never...Thanks to all that make this event happen every year. It truly is a great time even if it his 82 degrees on Saturday afternoon.

• Sitka Gear