2dapoint 30-Jul-14
Brad Gehman 30-Jul-14
Brad Gehman 30-Jul-14
RC 30-Jul-14
Brad Gehman 30-Jul-14
Phil Magistro 30-Jul-14
Rut Nut 03-Aug-14
07-Jul-14
Just saw the headlines in PA Outdoor News.

The lawsuit was thrown out of federal court by the presiding judge.

But it said HUSH may take it to state court now.

07-Jul-14
As expected

07-Jul-14
Wasn't expected at all. This isn't over, and someday the PGC will have the call when it comes to Sunday Hunting. The suit will most likely be refiled at the state level.

07-Jul-14
I wouldn't say it was expected, but then again it doesn't surprise me. Sounds like the feds don't wanna touch it, so they thru it back to let the State courts decide.

12-Jul-14
Properly a state court decision anyway.

14-Jul-14
You might not need or want it Ron, but I do.

14-Jul-14
Brad ??

14-Jul-14
Wouldn't want Sunday hunting to interfere with the more appropriate family activities for that day, like going to the bar...

14-Jul-14
Sunday hunting may or may not be for everyone....and will have it's up and down sides.

The price of hunting land and leaseing may have a big increase....the days of free hunting access could come to an end.....or some landowner may no even allow access at all.

The best of luck.

14-Jul-14
Thanks to all the great folks trying to get this opportunity.....you all are appreciated......a lot!

15-Jul-14
:)

15-Jul-14
All landowners understand the frustration with those who are trespassing on them.

Trespassing out this way is not just a Sunday thing....and maybe Sunday hunting may not see a increase in trespassing pressure as some may expect in Pa.

The waters could be tested first.... with Pa. opening Sunday hunting for maybe 2 or 3 seasons.

15-Jul-14
LOL! Little "stormy" lately Justin! ;-)

15-Jul-14
I can fish on my own land on Sunday. I can also ride my quad, shoot guns, have parties, work the fields, put a new roof on the barn, read books, (any books), play horse shoes, mow the grass, go for walks in the woods and sleep during the day. The only thing that is regulated here on Sunday is hunting. Make sense to anyone? All I ask is to let the owner decide.

15-Jul-14
That's all well and good Horsethief, but, now Ron is a landowner and he faces trespassing problems that trump all other trespassing problems.

Heavy drama has returned!

"I'm against Sunday Hunting because I'm now a landowner....". LOL! Funniest thing I've read this week.

15-Jul-14
Trespassing has nothing at all to do with Sunday Hunting. Trespassers will Trespass the other 6 days of the week as well. As far as time with the family and fishing, you can do that the other 6 days as well Ron. As far as the animals needing a day of rest, that's just plain dumb! I don't have a problem with your views on posting your land though. You own it!

15-Jul-14
To me Sunday hunting is all about the kids. The kids that play soccer, baseball, football and everything else but could hunt on Sunday because games and practice is a lot less likely. Dads that work on Saturday can take there kids hunting on Sunday. If you want to increase youth hunting open Sunday and see what happens.

I am a landowner. Most trespassing occurs on my land non-weekends. Must be because they think I am less likely to be out. However last year I got a dozen pictures of a trespasser taking a doe on my property on SUNDAY during buck season (day after first Saturday). Yes the picture are be investigated by the PGC.

16-Jul-14
In reality would that one extra day really get more kids into hunting? Its more of a change in society that has effected what interest kids. Most just use that statement for their own personnel gains. Those that are pushing for Sunday hunting don't realize a change in trespass laws in Pa. is a GIANT step towards Sunday hunting. (which by the way is already allowed). The big push against it from landowners and farmers is that it's another free-for-all day on their property that they have to deal with. The shove it down every ones throat that is against it is what's keeping it from happening.

16-Jul-14
If the laws we have now where enforced this would be a non issue. We can change them all we want, but until they get cuffed and hauled away, people will continue to trespass everyday of the week.

17-Jul-14

In reality would that one extra day really get more kids into hunting?

You're kidding, right????!!!! Evidently you, nor any of your family and friends have kids involved in sports or community activities! My kids bowl in a league, swim on 2 different teams(summer/Winter) and daughter does gymnastics and both are involved in the church youth group..................ALL of which happen on SATURDAY! Most of their friends do the same. SUNDAY hunting would be a game changer!

As for Sunday Hunting being SHOVED DOWN EVERYONE'S THROAT...................that's a joke! If you don;t want it, don;t do it. If you don;t want people doing it on you land, post it. Simple as that.

17-Jul-14
It should be an option. Whether you choose to exercise it is an individual choice. Sunday trespassing isn't a legitimate argument. Neither are religious perceptions. It's purely a social/societal issue. People don't like change and can't get their minds around it until they have to. After that it's generally a non issue.

17-Jul-14
Sunday hunting is not a kids thing.... or for the recruitment of young hunters....don't see it going on out this way.

Even in the states that allows Sunday hunting show a steady decline in hunter numbers.

Sunday hunting may not be for everyone......but is one of the many methods used that allows more quality time in the great outdoors.

17-Jul-14
The decline is primarily because older folks are getting out and not enough young ones are coming in. Sunday hunting may well keep young hunters involved in the sport and could open the door to others that are involved in activities on Saturday but would still like to hunt.

17-Jul-14
As a high schooler, I thanked Thomas Edison and our Boosters Club that we had lights on our home field and so enjoyed "Friday Night Lights" during the fall. I cursed the teams we had to play on Saturday afternoons because they lacked lights. I would have done the dishes every night of the week (and I'm talking a LOT of dishes with 8 people in the family) just to be able to hunt on Sundays as well as the occasional Saturday.

I agree with Phil that Sunday hunting would yet another opportunity for young hunters to give it a try.

17-Jul-14
LOL! That would be our team, Dave. In 4 years, we NEVER had a game on Fri!

17-Jul-14
To much hunting time already on buck deer for gun season in PA. I'd be ok with it if they reduced deer gun season to a week.

17-Jul-14
Rut, I'm all 4 Sunday hunting. The point I was making was if you can get the groups that oppose it on your side u would have a much better chance of getting it. I still stand by my comment that it would not have a big impact on bring in new or young hunters. At one point Pa. had a million hunters with no Sunday hunting. What got those million in the game? Your example is perfect, your kids have so much more to be involved with than kids 30 years ago. That's why many kids don't get involved in hunting.

18-Jul-14
2dapoint, Back in the 1960's we would "RUN" home from the school bus stop.... so we could get that little extra hunting time in. Back at that time we could not start hunting in Pa. until we was 12.

The love for the hunting sports is something we are born with....so thats what kept us in the game as kids.

18-Jul-14
2dapoint,

IMHO, what has had a significant impact on the number of new hunters (in addition to what has already been discussed) is the change in the "demographic" of hunting over the years.

Today, the primary interest in hunting in PA is deer. In years past, small game hunting was a youngster's introduction to the blood sport. Sitting for squirrels, listening to the dogs run a bunny, and stomping through grapevine pile after grapevine pile after the king of them all - the ruffed grouse.

As a kid, I absolutely LOVED small game hunting - everything from the canvas pants, jackets, and/or vests to the smell of a spent shotshell, to the feel of the weight and the way those squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional grouse bounced off my butt as I walked.

I've said it for quite a while, I don't think there's enough emphasis on small game.

18-Jul-14
2dapoint, Back at that time the first day of small game was the last Sat. of Oct. 9:00am. We would line up along the end of the field rows.... then off in the far distance we could hear the cackle of ringnecks takeing flight.

One of the many great sounds of nature is when a ringneck cackles up when takeing roost....and cackles down when comeing off the roost.

18-Jul-14
I agree Dave.

18-Jul-14
"I've said it for quite a while, I don't think there's enough emphasis on small game."

I have too.

Deer schmeer.

18-Jul-14
My boys love small game.He hangs up his bow for pheasant. Personally, I'm not a fan of sunday hunting on state ground.My area is bad enough.no nee to give an extra day to kill the last doe out there,jk.I do think if you own ground you should be ble to decide.State land should be given a break.Just my opinion,you can all shoot me now

19-Jul-14
That's how Ohio started out, but shortly made it legal statewide without the sky falling.

Deer populations can just as easily be managed WITH Sunday hunting permitted.... the same way they're managed now... by adjusting antlerless allocations.

Hunter populations have and will continue to decrease anyhow, so increased opportunities will be needed to maintain management goals. Statewide Sunday hunting can help in that regard.

19-Jul-14

"The waters could be tested first.... with Pa. opening Sunday hunting for maybe 2 or 3 seasons"

Out this way the "waters" have already been tested.... in Ohio. Everything claimed will happen with Sunday Hunting in PA, was prophesized to happen in OH, and then it never came to fruition.....none of it. Sunday Hunting has no more bearing on trespassing than the other six days of the week.

As stated above, participation has decreased due to an aging demographic and other sociological reasons, Sunday Hunting notwithstanding. Our state's constitution guarantees it and there is no earthly reason not to take full advantage of it.

20-Jul-14
Roger, Yes but Ohio does require written permission to hunt. I'm just saying there would be much less opposition against Sunday hunting if the landowners and farmers had a say on who was on their property. Compared to other states that already have Sunday hunting Pa. enforcement of trespassing is a joke. Colorado you shoot an animal on private property without permission its considered poaching with heavy fines along with loss of all equipment used sometimes including the vehicle. Not much trespassing in that state.

21-Jul-14
Well, as we lose more and more hunters every year, you would think we would be doing EVERYTHING in our power to not only recruit new hunters, but increase the hunter opportunity for those guys still hunting.

But for some reason, the Farm Bureau and others will not budge. They want to continue to regulate what we do on our own land.

The solution is simple...................if you only want folks hunting your land 6 days a week, then post it No SUNDAY Hunting. Pretty simple concept.

Oh, and I agree whole-heartedly that the trespassing laws and fines need to be beefed up!

21-Jul-14
I agree Rut, with hunting numbers declining we need more oppertunities for all hunters young and old alike to help keep interest and maximum participation in the sport.

I don't understand the mindset of hunters who are against Sunday hunting. If you do not want to participate in Sunday hunting then don't it's very simple.

I have hunted Ohio since 1987 and went through this debate with other Ohio hunters and landowners back then and like others stated the sky did not fall. In all the years I have hunted Ohio I have only had one landowner out of approximately 20 say they did not want me to hunt on Sunday. I would guess PA would be similar.

Mike

22-Jul-14
"Roger, Yes but Ohio does require written permission to hunt. I'm just saying there would be much less opposition against Sunday hunting if the landowners and farmers had a say on who was on their property."

Farmers always have final authority in who gets to hunt their property and what days they may do it. Sunday Hunting changes none of that. And, PA's enforcement of trespassing is no joke. I know or know of too many people who've been fined for trespassing here. If a particular farmer/landowner doesn't want his/her land hunted on Sundays then it is off limits - period. Sunday Hunting does not imply that you must hunt on Sundays.

23-Jul-14
I would say that Pa. is just like any other state....more trespassing goes on with some type of off road toy... then it does with hunters.

23-Jul-14
Yep, buy a quad or snowmobile, and trespassing laws apparently no longer apply to you.

29-Jul-14
First off, I have not been on here for a fairly long time. Sorry.

Would like to thank every person here that contributed and supported our efforts. Amazing support from individuals here.

Let me say this, in no state where there is Sunday hunting has it been repealed or rolled back due to ANY problems. That speaks volumes. Those that say there are or will be problems are just wrong.

Trespass is not an issue. Enforcement of trespass IS the issue. That said, the PA Farm Bureau has not asked the Legislature for stiffer trespass penalties. If it was such a horrendous issue to farmers, you'd think they would have, right? They haven't.

As far as game populations, in the case of deer, that is, like others said, regulated by the number of doe tags issued. Never have I hear ANYONE worry about how squirrel populations would have been effected.

The sole purpose of the suit was to give regulatory authority of Sunday hunting to the PGC where it belongs. Nothing else.

We feel it would give more fathers the chance to get out, which in turn, would have given more kids the chance to get out. We all know the 5 day work week is dead, and if dad's "weekend" is now Sunday and Monday, slim chance he can take his kid hunting.

The federal judge said we did not have "standing". Legal term for showing how we were "harmed" by not hunting on Sunday. Proving standing was a major issue, in the end.

There are state issues, and they have been preserved. In fact, in the ruling, the judge pointed out some of what we asserted was in fact, true.

A couple weeks ago, we had a conference call with a major hunting rights organization, a member of the Sunday Hunting Coalition. We told them what we knew, and more about our case. It is our hope they will take if from there.

Safari Club International used the basis of our suit in Virginia, filing the almost exact suit there, back in October. Virginia hunters, with the help of NRA and NSSF, and lobbyists, got Sunday hunting on private land this apring.

To be honest, I'm worn out. Not only from this, but many other things. I also am tired of the hate towards what we were trying to do by many hunters.

I will say this, if I had $50-100,000 to put towards this, I would, in a heartbeat. I put enough of my own money on the line here, and can do no more.

It was a pleasure tho being at the sport show this year and hearing from SO many young dad's that NEED this, and for the sole purpose of passing on the tradition of hunting. They showed us their 8-12 year olds and told of their successful hunts via the MY program and only wanted the Sundays so they could get their kids out even more, or when hunting did not conflict with other activities. Energized me seeing these fellow hunters.

One thing that disturbed me is this, when it comes to gun rights, people stand up and make their voices heard. When it comes to, as a hunter, being treated like anyone else, few speak up. This was as much about hunter discrimination as anything else.

What other lawful recreational activity and group, is discriminated against in this way, and based on religion?

Anyway, I've gone on to long.

Thank you all, and will see what develops from here on out, and we will support ANY effort to change this stupid and archaic law, anyway we can.

29-Jul-14
Brad your cause is certainly worthy. Don't give up for sure...... Having been in a similar situation, I can tell you to take some time off, away, and the situation will become a bit more fervent. It happens but you must be ready. Brad it's going to happen. Ya gotta find another path that's all, or make yer own:)

Someday you and I will be sitting round a campfire talking about this. Thanks for being active my friend.

30-Jul-14
That's too bad. I thought you guys had a really good shot. Thank you and the others for everything invested, Brad. It IS appreciated.

If there's anything else we can do through other organizations, coalitions, etc let us know.

30-Jul-14
Brad- first off THANK YOU for what you, Kathy and others have done to further this cause! Like Dale said, one day this will happen. I just hope I'm not in a nursing home when this finally passes! ;-)

It's sad to hear, but I am not surprised to hear of the hate towards "the cause". People can get really selfish in this ME ME ME society! In a time when we should be doing everything we can to INCREASE hunter opportunity, some seem to want to fight tooth and nail for their own selfish desires.

So are you saying HUSH as a group is done with this? Or just you personally? Just wondered if there were any plans to take this suit to the state courts now?

BTW, don't blame you one bit for taking some time off- I'm sure the process was very draining and taxing.

Just curious if the whole group is planning to take some time off, or whether you are passing the torch to another group.

Bit again, THANK YOU to all involved for what you have already done!

30-Jul-14
.....Thanks, Brad, you'll always have our support.

30-Jul-14
Brad, What Rut said X100.

You'll get some rest and get back at it.

Let us know when its time to raise more dough!

Bill V.

30-Jul-14
Thanks for the effort with not only this but other noble causes that you've stood up for as well.

30-Jul-14
Awesome amount of time and effort. But don't understand if you disagree with another's opinion how is that hate?

30-Jul-14
No, Ron, as always you are WRONG. There was HATE. Trust me. Not merely disagreement. HATE.

Perry, HUSH continues, but we will see what happens via a national org, if anything, right now.

30-Jul-14
Ya know guys, you have no idea how your emotional support has helped the last couple years. I thank all of you for that.

30-Jul-14
Ya done good, Amos. Thanks for all you efforts.

30-Jul-14
Thank you Roy.

30-Jul-14
I agree.

03-Aug-14
OK-thanks Brad- now get some rest and clear your head. ;-)

• Sitka Gear