Moultrie Mobile
Cache vs. Box Elder vs. Fillmore Oak Cr.
Utah
Contributors to this thread:
UtahMan 07-Jul-14
Boly 08-Jul-14
BULELK1 08-Jul-14
c3 09-Jul-14
HDE 09-Jul-14
BULELK1 14-Jul-14
UtahMan 14-Jul-14
07-Jul-14
So I missed the draw, but there are three buck units in Utah that still have excess general buck tags.

Cache Box Elder Fillmore, Oak Creek

Which of these units would be best for a novice archery hunter to see some animals? I'm based out of SLC, but have family in Richfield that I can stay with if I choose Fillmore. I am not a rookie hunter (I've rifle hunted my whole life) but new to archery. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

08-Jul-14
In my opinion the Cache might be a good bet. I have hunted it in the past but stopped when we lost the statewide hunt. I have heard that the herd is looking good this year but I haven't checked it out personally. The Box Elder has a ton of private land and the public land is there if you are familiar with it (I'm not). I cannot comment on the Filmore area, I don't know a thing about it. Good luck.

08-Jul-14
+1 Boly...

The Cache gives ya boo-coo options like up in the remote Wellsville Mnts.

I am in your boat UtahMan as I always just do the Point code and then buy a L-Over bow buck tag...

Just don't get my Cache L-Over tag buddy!! haha

Good luck, Robb

09-Jul-14
I have an Oak Creek tag as my 5th choice this year. Not sure there are any deer down that low during the archery hunt at all. I would focus down south out in the junipers if that's the one you can get. There are some monsters killed on that unit during the rifle season, but there just aren't that many deer down in that country early.

I'm going elk hunting with my son who as the Wasatch west deer tag. I shoot the first bull we see and he shoots the first buck we see. That's my story for now and we're sticking to it :)

Cheers, Pete

09-Jul-14
I would have to echo what was said about Cache.

14-Jul-14
Well tomorrow is the day to pick 'em up.

I wonder if the system will crash by 0810....

Good luck, Robb

14-Jul-14
Thanks for the tips! Out of convenience and your tips, I'll probably go for cache. I talked to my cousin in Richfield, he said the Fillmore unit is useless unless you get the LE portion. And Box Elder is too hit and miss for public land.

Now I just have to buy a bow...

• Sitka Gear