Bennett2012 13-Jul-14
gobbler 13-Jul-14
Publichunter 14-Jul-14
gobbler 14-Jul-14
babysaph 14-Jul-14
Bennett2012 14-Jul-14
gobbler 14-Jul-14
09-Jul-14
Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a bull elk running around in the flat top area my boss says he has spoke with two different guys that live close by him and that both told him they seen it last week and the week before

10-Jul-14
Not saying there is not one, but I am in that area every day and live not far from Flat Top. I have not seen it. But he might be there.

10-Jul-14

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Yes

10-Jul-14
We weren't sure if he was an elk or a red deer from Europe since he used the wrong side of the road, but it is an elk. Just hasn't had drivers Education yet.

10-Jul-14
Wonder if he was turned loose or just on the move and made it this far

10-Jul-14
On the move. Young bulls are traveling over here looking for cows and other elk. Sounds like a long way but elk migrate 30-50 miles in the Rockies.

11-Jul-14
I think that is a New Zeaand stag.

11-Jul-14
If you read the elk management plan on the DNR website, in a few years you will be able to kill him with a deer tag if hes in that part of the county. To my understanding.

11-Jul-14
Yeah I have read the management plan I was wondering about that I know virginia does that same glad to see they are making it this far already it's very encouraging maybe I won't have to spend any money to go to Colorado on an elk hunt now I can spend it on some other hunt haha

12-Jul-14
Once we get some resident cows, the satelite bulls will stay. I can't believe we are still so far behind with elk.

12-Jul-14
I haven't looked into it much lately I know I believe WV needs to get the lead out I would like to be able to bust the ribs of a big WV bull before I get to old because applying for Kentucky tags just depresses me every year

12-Jul-14
Call the Governors office and complain. Seriously!

13-Jul-14
The elk management plan come out years ago but seems to me that's all it is....a plan and that's as far as it has went now I know things like that take time a lot of money and perpetration but I have heard nothing about it for a long time does anyone know where they are at with it

13-Jul-14
In my humble opinion, it's held up in the DNR Directors office.

14-Jul-14
I heard its a done deal and we are trading turkeys with Texas for bobwhite quail then trading the quail for elk with Kentucky. All they need is a place to turn them loose and its done. Im sure land companies are very eager to have that assist with that.

14-Jul-14
That's the biggest holdup. Land companies want control over their land. They are reluctant to open their land to everyone due to liability concerns, active mining, and timbering jobs.. DNR is reluctant to spend money to stock elk where public access may not be guaranteed. However, it's unreasonable to expect land companies to give up certain land rights especially not knowing what is going to happen with coal.

These problems can be worked out, but it takes some serious negotiations between the public and private sector. Meetings have to be scheduled, lawyers involved, meetings attended, people in their offices.

Until orders are given to get the ball moving, the ball dosen't move.

14-Jul-14
Well I think they will hsve to stock them on public land even though they will not stay there. They can put them on coal lands and then they will clse te land down the road and lease the hunting to hunters. Like they for deer now.

14-Jul-14
Thought they was trying to work out a deal like they did in kentucky and have a long term lease to where that wouldn't be likely to happen

14-Jul-14
There just isn't enough big chunks of public lands down there. A lot of the "public" land is not really public but leased thru long term agreements.

And yes, it was(and hopefully still is) the plan to work out agreements with land companies. Some in the DNR want guarantees, but that is probably unrealistic, considering the current coal industry issues. Some in the DNR don't want guaranteed tags for the land companies like they do in KY. Whether it's a good idea or bad idea, it may be a necassary evil.

If you look at it from the land companies point of view, I would be reluctant to sign an agreement that "guanantees" public access to their property. Especially in light of the unknown with coal.

I would be unwilling to sign an agreemement with a person that I might rent a room out to in my house that "guanantees" them permanent access to that room. Even it he were a perfect tenant, if I decided or had to sell the house, any potential buyer would probably be spooked off by that agreement.

I think all these things can be worked out by negotiations and compromise , but you have to have meetings, get legal opinions, and the like. That kind of work isn't just going to happen on its own.

In my opinion, this is where the delay is at.

• Sitka Gear