First time at deer creek any info would be awesome

12-Jul-14
First time at deer creek any info would be awesome

16-Jul-14
what week?

16-Jul-14
Nov. 7-9

17-Jul-14
The east end is pretty good also don't be afraid to hunt close to the tracks. There is a restricted area straight north of the barracks the south east corner there is a gate the deer go in and out of. Thats a good weekend good luck

17-Jul-14
Should be a good one. In my group, we have all tagged out at least once over the years and all the deer were taken in deer creek. Treesitter gave you a good spot. We hunted around the bowling alley too. Saw a lot of deer there. we have hunted some other spots as well and had decent luck. Can't be more specific as I gave the info on that spot to someone for that week already.

Just remember, you can pin out almost anywhere in that unit. It doesn't necessarily have to be after the gate. We have gone back towards the main gate and pinned out there as well. You just can't pin out in the base office area.

17-Jul-14
Thanks for the info

12-Aug-14
Is this state land?

12-Aug-14
Ok I think I see. This is land that you have to be drawn for to hunt? Sorry I just moved to Oklahoma 3 weeks ago and I'm scrambling to find a place to hunt this fall.

13-Aug-14
Yep, draw hunt only. Federal army ammunition plant. Total land area of 69000 or 89000 acres I believe.

Traditional only hunt. No sights, no releases, no binoculars, no rangefinders.

Start applying next year! It is a fun time.

13-Aug-14
Wow that's pretty cool minus the binocular and range finder thing lol. I may have to finally invest in a recurve or long bow that I have been wanting. Any suggestions?

13-Aug-14
If you have never shot a traditional bow, get a recurve. Much easier to learn to shoot a recurve than a longbow. Start with something that's at least 15lbs lighter in draw weight than your compound. There are lots of good used bows on places like E-bay or the classifieds on the Bowsite or the Leatherwall. You can get a Samick bow for around $200 or less. That will get you started. Be sure to get your arrows spined properly. I do not recommend going to a "pro-shop" to get set up for recurve shooting. Most pro-shops cater to the compound crowd and don't know much about traditional gear. The most important thing is once you get your arrow flight down is to practice, practice, practice.

14-Aug-14
Ok cool thanks.

16-Aug-14
PM me and i'll give you what I know about it. Look for food sources = does = bucks. generic I know. Anywhere is pretty good as long as you can pick a pattern of where they bed and where they feed. What I noticed is they bed in the thick bottoms (lots of cover) and feed in the more open oaks. You hunt close to the bed in the evenings and more close to the fields or food in the evening and you should be able to pick up a pattern.

19-Aug-14
SteelhHead,

Go see Jeff at Arrowhead archery he can point you in the right direction for a recurve.

I have bought my last two recurves from Jeff.

• Sitka Gear