sharpspur@home 14-Jul-14
razorhead 14-Jul-14
sharpspur@home 14-Jul-14
Pasquinell 14-Jul-14
bobin hood 15-Jul-14
razorhead 15-Jul-14
Knife2sharp 15-Jul-14
14-Jul-14
Well, my new bow came Friday. Unfortunately, I was out of town till today. Couldn't wait to get home and put it together!! It is a custom 64" take down recurve, 50lbs at 31". Lucky for me I had 3 arrows in the archery room that I could play around a little with the bow. First two shots were touching at 10 yards just high in the lungs. Decided to move back to 20 yards and dropped two perfect shots into lungs. Can't wait to get this bow matched to some arrows and really start practicing!!

14-Jul-14
Nice Sharpspur! Wood riser and limbs? If you don't mind me asking who was the bowyer or what make?

14-Jul-14
Nice, very nice ,wish I could do the same

14-Jul-14
Now that's talent

14-Jul-14
What kind of bow did you get....... My go to whitetail bow, is my 54# Checkmate Falcon at 62 inches. Draws like butter.....

I had a fast flight on it, but had a custom string made for it, by a guy from WTA, and it shoots very quiet.......

I shoot xx75's out of it, even though I have play with carbons etc.

If you want a quiver on it, I highly recommend a "Thunderhorn" out of Montana..... quiet and sturdy... they have a web site

14-Jul-14

sharpspur@home's embedded Photo
sharpspur@home's embedded Photo
The bow is from stalker stickbows the owner and bowyer is South Cox.

14-Jul-14
Nice - thats a deer killer................

14-Jul-14
That is very nice and I wish I could get good with trad gear. No need for a compound shooting like you are already with that beauty. Trad shooters are archers!

14-Jul-14
I have a long road ahead of me to become proficient with this bow. I think my first few shots were more luck than anything. When I ordered it his estimation was 11 weeks out. Took more like 16 weeks, but it was worth the wait. I was hoping to be proficient enough for a 30-35 yard shot on an elk. Do to only having a month and a half before I head west for the opener, I will be packing the bowtech. Now my goal is to be ready for whitetails here in WI for 20 and under.

I have never been a true trophy hunter. Firm believer in you shoot what you feel is a trophy on that day. To me, if a deer no matter the size is something that will lock in my memory, I view that as a trophy. It might be a 6pt or a 150", horn size doesn't matter. This recurve was bought with the intentions of new challenges and more memorable hunts.

14-Jul-14
Here is how I taught myself to shoot a stick, and that was over 20 years ago. I read the books etc, but than just got at it......

I am going to assume you are shooting your Master Eye, and have selected a weight, your comfortable with.

I had a big target, with a blank sheet of paper on it. I would work on the draw, and release, and develop my own style, trying different styles. I would only shoot 5 arrows, and quit.......

Once I was comfortable with the style, I would continue to practice, at 5 feet away. I developed my style as 3 fingers under, and anchor at the cheek bone, under my master eye. I am right handed, but my master is my left eye, so I shoot a left handed bow.

I never cared about where I hit on the paper, I just wanted to build my draw and release. I wanted a consistent anchor point. Putting chalk on the finger next to my shooting hand thumb, I could see in the mirror, if it left a mark, in the right spot......

I then stayed at 5 feet with a sticky post, on the target. shooting only 1 arrow, the same arrow 5 times a session, I developed a feel, on tearing up that sticky post........

It was then that I moved back to 15 feet, and as the month went by, my first season, I was dead nuts at 10 yards. Today, I am confident at 30........

CONCENTRATION I am a big believer in Yoga and meditation. No I am not going to chant, ha ha, but you have to get your mind right. Shooting the stick is another discipline, like your compound is another discipline. Concentrate on the spot you want to hit, and you will improve.......

When you get sloppy, go back to the 5 foot practice. I have shot lighted candles at close range, to develop concentration. Spread plastic golf balls out on the grass, shoot sticky posts on 3D target, go shoot at stumps.........

Back then I was not so sensitive to the animals I shot at, and many a chipmunk, made great practice, but I would not do that today.........

I have a compound, but with my favorite recurve, of which I have a few, I developed a bond, I mean I just love that bow.........

good luck with your quest, and on the elk this year.....

Always Hunt Fair Chase

14-Jul-14
Thanks for sharing Razor. I know it will be a long road to become good but I look forward to the challenge. I checked out the quivers, good quality and great price. Think I will be ordering a five arrow take down model.

14-Jul-14
razor - nice write!

Sharp it takes practice but once the traditional bug bit me there was no turning back. I buy my bows from Dick Robertson out of Montana.

15-Jul-14
Enjoy your shooting!!!!!!!!! Don't make it WORK!!!! Start close, then move back a little at a time! Just REMEMBER: 10 good shots(shooting form)are better than 100 bad shots! BRING the bow to YOUR EYE, DON'T bring your EYE to the bow! GOOD LUCK!!

15-Jul-14
Bobbin Hood - great advice, I had alot of years of teaching on the sub guns and such, always bring the weapon to the eye, never the eye to the weapon

15-Jul-14
Pretty rad.

• Sitka Gear