happygolucky 16-Jul-14
Bowhunter163 16-Jul-14
Redclub 16-Jul-14
Bowhunter163 16-Jul-14
Bowhunter163 16-Jul-14
Per48R 16-Jul-14
PB in WI 17-Jul-14
14-Jul-14
I'm new to the website . I'm from Tennessee and I'm an avid target archer and bow hunter . We just had our second baby 3 weeks ago so I'm not going to get to hunt much this year . I got invited to come up to Washaura County with a friend to bowhunt Oct.30th-Aug.9th . After getting permission from the boss ( the wife that will be home with the babies by herself ) she said I could take a trip since I wasn't gonna hunt much . I'm just wondering what kind of deer hunting I can expect in Washaura County and what are the odds of hitting the chasing phase during that time ? If it helps I'm gonna be in an area southeast of Pine River .

15-Jul-14
Hey Bowhunter-

I'm guessing you meant Oct. 30- Nov. 9th. That is perfect timing. If I would pick a time to take off that would be it. You must be hunting in my backyard. I'm about 5 miles southeast of Pine River. I'm assuming you are hunting private land? Deer numbers are good around our immediate area but will depend on the spots you are hunting. There is some smaller public DNR parcels in the area too but they will be pressured.

Good luck on your trip!!

15-Jul-14
Yes I meant Nov.9th , that's what I get for typing while tired . Yes I'm hunting private land . Approx 700 acres , a little over half ag fields and the rest hardwoods . Don't know alot about the area , my buddy talks it up pretty good so I wanted to get some opinions from the people around there . Just hoping I have a good experience and see some deer , I have never hunted outside of Tennessee so I'm hoping to see quite a few deer and maybe have a chance at a decent buck .

15-Jul-14
Washara county has some parcels that are as good as anywhere in the state. Some areas that are heavily hunted brown is down. Nice mix of ag vs wooded. Just depends where you are. 700 acres you probably are set up well if your friend is serious about deer

Good luck, should be fun and different for you

15-Jul-14
Welcome to the state. No bugs during that time, no snakes, no hogs! I hope you get a trace of snow for the full experience. You will find the deer to be bigger bodied then what you are probably used to. If you have an ATV or UTV, leave it on the trailer until you have to drag a deer. My recommendation, hunt the morning if you can't stay on stand all day. Otherwise enjoy.

15-Jul-14
Thanks for all the help , I already know its gonna be alot harder to field judge bucks because of the difference in body size , kinda nervous about that . I'm afraid ill pass a deer that I shouldn't because their bodies are so big haha

16-Jul-14
Whatever you do, keep your a.. in that stand all day, during that time of year....... sounds like a nice set up, good luck......

16-Jul-14
Those are awesome dates and on 700 acres I'm guessing you will see deer. I recommend making sure you have extra layers of clothes if you will be doing long sits. Our mornings and evenings can be pretty crisp by then but that is what you want.

I think you'll have an awesome time. You will pay for it dearly when you get home though :). Been there and done that.

16-Jul-14
I'm sure I will pay for it when I get home . It might have been an "I dare you to do it " situation . But she can't take it back now haha .

16-Jul-14
700 acres in Waushara Co. You must have hit the lottery. You will see deer,How big well that remains to be seen. While you might have a shot at a wall hanger don't pass up a decent buck.

16-Jul-14
It will be hard for me to pass any 3.5 yr old or older if he's a decent deer . This is the biggest deer I've ever killed so I will be happy if I even see one bigger than him . [IMG]http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a487/bowhunter163/E076A8AE-FA4E-4302-BB91-613C99F70DED-3628-0000018DF08EE886_zps1133d05e.jpg[/IMG]

16-Jul-14

Bowhunter163's embedded Photo
Bowhunter163's embedded Photo
That didnt work maybe this will .

16-Jul-14
I have been hunting Waushara county for about 20 years. October 31 is a great time to see some big bucks. There seems to be another bump in sightings, at least for me, about Nov 15th. I have seen some real bruisers. Central Wisconsin bucks are well educated and quick thinking. I have seen them trotting through the woods, never look directly at me, turn a 180 and disappear before "I" knew what was going on. I have been amazed at how thick the undergrowth is this year. If we haven't had a good frost by Nov (unlikely), visibility will be poor. The last few years, I have been seeing daytime activity in the marsh grass. The oak flat, with their great visibility, seems to be devoid of bucks during the day.

This year you get an antlerless tag for the farmland zones. Next year its a fee and have to select county and land type. If your looking for meat, think about taking a nice doe and then its easier to be more selective on a big buck.

17-Jul-14

PB in WI's Link
This is what Waushara County can produce.

• Sitka Gear