Gene 16-Jul-14
Toonces 16-Jul-14
ROBZ7 16-Jul-14
steve 16-Jul-14
Ace 17-Jul-14
CTCrow 17-Jul-14
Odocoileus 17-Jul-14
15-Jul-14
I will always shoot the biggest deer I can because it's more venison but that won't stop me from shooting a nice tender 1.5 year old doe.

15-Jul-14
They have a ton more meat compared to a big doe.

The neck alone on a big rutting buck will make a boatload of sausage/chop meat, whatever you want.

Headgear is cool to look at, but that is kind of a fleeting benefit, but the real rewards on the big old deer is a full freezer.

15-Jul-14
I always try to shoot the oldest animal because they are usually harder to get within killing distance...around here oldest usually equates to biggest...yes more meat!

15-Jul-14
The challenge of taking a mature, wise ol' buck. Wise ol' doe for that matter too. It's not real hard to kill just any deer, but those smart ones will humble you.

15-Jul-14
Early in the season I make it a point to strictly hunt and harvest solitary does, I do that till the freezer is happy than I go after big bucks. I can't pinpoint exactly why I do that. There is just some special satisfaction about the accomplishment of getting the one buck I have entered the woods to specifically get.

15-Jul-14
The challenge of up close and personal with the bow for me , picking that mature brute all the time and perpetration spent for him to finally let the air out of his lungs that's the blood warmer for me ,does are easy early season for freezer space but nothing like a big boy for wall space

15-Jul-14
Because there is nothing like the feeling of walking up to a bruiser of a buck down on the ground!!!!!!

15-Jul-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Like this one!

15-Jul-14
More mass= more ticks..just trying to do my part.

15-Jul-14
they only come by once in a life time my biggest was 1981 still looking for a bigger

15-Jul-14
A cross between bigger challenge and more venison.

16-Jul-14

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Because it is in range? Why would you not, and perhaps, get nothing else all season?

16-Jul-14
I do it just because it is a lot more work to get close, take a shot, track, drag, skin, and butcher. After all we are hunters, not exterminators.

I personally hunt without the use of visual, audio or smell attractants, and no scent protection clothing. It takes me 7-15 days to reach my quarry, but after I take the successful shot I feel that my hard work led me to a new level of accomplishment which I use and enjoy during the 10 seconds of action. After the adrenaline rush I do not scream or drum my chest with pride, rather I kneel and give my thanks to the Creator while paying my respects to the fallen opponent.

16-Jul-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Here's another taken on the same hillside as my first post. The first one was taken by my hunting partner Dave Olsen and this one was taken the year before by me. Those big mature bucks can get your heart racing!

16-Jul-14

Gene's embedded Photo
Gene's embedded Photo
Last photo, I promise! Here's another big one that I took in New Brunswick back in 2005. That was a great hunt with Dave(on the right).

16-Jul-14
Nice pics.

I have some old photos of my grandfather's trips to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia from the 50's. Some of the deer they killed back then were giants.

16-Jul-14
To me it's about hunting the most mature animal I can, building sometimes years of history with a specific animal and hunting him. I think part of hunting is managing the heard and the future of hunting, thus taking the most mature animals out of the heard and letting the younger animals live and continue the reproduction cycle and allowing them to pass on their genetics. With that being said that's just my personal choice and view and what drives me hunting the big mature buck.

16-Jul-14
I wish I had a place big enough to use my 4 wheeler !

17-Jul-14
Slap a plow on it and bring it over next time it snows Steve, I'll let you drive it all over my driveway!

17-Jul-14
LOL How can you resist that offer Steve? Stop by my place as well.

17-Jul-14
Cause if you don't shoot it, someone else is going to. Look at PA and VT.

• Sitka Gear