HARRY CARRY 19-Jul-14
4 under 20-Jul-14
WV Mountaineer 20-Jul-14
David Mitchell 21-Jul-14
babysaph 21-Jul-14
4 under 21-Jul-14
WV Mountaineer 21-Jul-14
15-Jul-14
I just received an e-mail that the other bow club to which I belong, Kanawha Valley Traditional Archers, is shutting down as of July 31. That makes both clubs I belong to gone in only one month--Elk River Bowhunters and now KVTA. Where can a guy go to shoot now? There used to be a commercial 3D range down Corridor G south of Charleston where the folks also had a couple of pay lakes for fishing but I don't know if it is still there or not--can't recall the name of the place. I get tired of flinging arrows in the back yard. Guess there's always some stumps that need to be controlled.

15-Jul-14
What's going on down that way Dave? Are guys losing interest? That is a shame

15-Jul-14
Its sad for sure. Its a lot of work to keep up a club and people get burned out working the shoots. Its even worse when people do not show up to shoot, AND it takes money to have a up and running club. Everyone should take notice of this thread and support your local club before they shut down. The TBSWV club has not had much turn out at shoots for a while also and I do not want it to fade away either .

15-Jul-14
Too bad. It was obvious the last few years that Justin single-handedly kept the KVTA going. I appreciate very much his efforts.

15-Jul-14
I agree Jim

15-Jul-14
Jim, you're right, Justin has done a great job. He just couldn't keep things going. Like ERBA, it was a matter of not enough membership renewals, attendance at shoots, workers, expenses, etc. When I was at Cloverdale in June I talked to some of the guys who were working the range and they said that only about 8-10 guys do all the work for that big shoot with hundreds of shooters. People get discouraged when they work to clear trails, cut grass, and set targets and almost nobody shows up to shoot. So much goes on any more--Saturday sports events for kids--baseball, soccer, etc. Families are in constant motion trying to cover all the bases. Didn't use to be that way--I miss those days.

15-Jul-14
I am also sad to see the loss of this club. Even though I am happy to shoot with the compound guys, it is nice to go to a shoot where everyone has a common interest. The trad shoots are always a laid back atmosphere where people are happy to teach their trade and even insist you try their equipment. I do hope things turn around for all archery clubs.

15-Jul-14
I notice that trad guys here are losing interest too. We use to have 30 or so trad guys at our shots and now we are down to me and 2 other guys . Fortunately the compound guys keep the lclub going.

15-Jul-14
I agree with everything said on this thread and Justin did a great job keeping things just like Don did with ERBA.

Dave as far as places to shoot, Sod Archery isn't that far away. Lindel Marker is a great guy and he's got a nice range that is a real easy walk.

The place you were referring to with the lake was Whispering Pines but they don't have archery targets there any longer at least to my knowledge.

Lindel's place isn't that much further anyway. I think he has 30 targets for $10 a round.

Sure going to miss the camaraderie of the shoots but have to admit I haven't had time to be at many of them either so I'm one of the guilty ones. If there was a way to get all these kids we instruct every year to really get into the sport and get parents into it there would be a lot more support for the local clubs.

16-Jul-14
Well I might as well chime in, I too am guilty. I was on here a couple years ago when I moved to the area looking for a place to shoot. Dave was kind enough to show me around ERBA and I told him that it was one of the nicest ranges I had been on. I was amazed at the lack of interest in the area and the low numbers of members. I joined up and helped with clearing trees and fixing targets and the bridge. Don purchased some fine targets I believe with his own cash to help draw more people to shoot. I believe we had maybe 20 show up for the first shoot and the attendance just kept falling off. I stay busy with my two boys in baseball, football and wrestling. Doesnt leave much time for practice like I did before organized sports entered my life. I have shot all over the state and only know of a handful of ranges that remain open. Sod (Lincoln), Blacks Run (Ritchie), Lumberport (Harrison)and High Feather (Doddridge). These places are great clubs and have great ranges. I hope one day archery will be what it once was in my life and that I will be able to share it with my sons. Time is a valuable commodity that we all should buy stock in.

James

16-Jul-14
The parents are the ones that need to get their kids into it IMO.I think we are all too buys. I miss the days when we were not so busy.

16-Jul-14
It also seems to me that the WVBA has fewer shoots than we used to have. Is it just my imagination or is that the case?

16-Jul-14
I am convinced people all over are losing interest.

16-Jul-14
Maybe the members from both clubs can get together and get another started surely they would be enough people to round up and maybe make or find some new places to shoot

16-Jul-14
WVBA does have fewer shoots than in the past again due to interest/shooter turn-out and available workers. There used to be a lot of one day shoots that were hosted by local clubs. With those clubs now gone, it stands to reason there are fewer shoots.

High Feather is hosting a WVBA shoot on July 27 for anyone interested.

In addition to the ranges listed above, don't forget about the Huntington Archery Club and Wildlife League of Ohio County in Wheeling.

There certainly are fewer places to shoot these days.

17-Jul-14
Oh, and I better not forget to mention our good friends at Appalachian Bowhunters Association near Elkins. They hosted another fine Summer Rendezvous and the turnout was pretty decent there. They have a really nice range too.

17-Jul-14
Being part of the KVTA gave me the opportunity to meet and get to know a great bunch of guys. Enjoyed it while it lasted! I could give my thoughts on why I believe the KVTA and other clubs have struggled but instead I want to encourage everyone to do at least one thing this summer to support a local club.

17-Jul-14
I would like to hear your opinions. As someone that put a lot of effort into trying to keep a club going, I would think it would add a valuable perspective.

17-Jul-14
Me too

19-Jul-14
Everyone:

ERBA donated stalls, poster targets, and bales of Curlex to City of Charleston, 5 of which are at Cato park on the West Side of town.

Cato now has 5 of the ERBA stalls set up; you will see them from the hard road set up in a bottom to the left of Edgewood Summit Assisted Living Facility.

Plus, there are 3 stalls set up across the face of a hillside on the left about 100 yds. before you get to Edgewood Summit. That group has a shelter with two picnic tables and a grill set up about 30 yds from the stalls/targets; you could actually shoot while sitting at a picnic table under roof.

If you get a chance, check it out. I usually shoot there twice a week. It could also be a good place for an informal bring a covered dish and your bow and not be obligated for anything else. And, its free of charge!!! I'll provide the clean-up afterwards.

Called Whispering Pines 3D range/fishing lake last week. Will draft another thread about them.

tom

19-Jul-14
For Gobbler and Babysaph... People are busy. I get that. Then there are people who are physically and/or financially unable to do as much as they would like. I understand that as well. But there are also some less noble reasons participation has faded overall. 1) Some folks have what I would call a, "What's in it for me?" attitude. I've seen this many times while working the WVBA membership booth at the Hunting and Fishing Show in Charleston. If a guy can't get a hat or t-shirt he doesn't want to join. 2) Then there are the grumblers who never seem happy. I've literally had someone come up to me at a shoot to tell me the shots were too close...then someone else say they were too long. : ) 3) Some folks refuse to commit. Just in case something better comes up I guess? I think we have all fallen into one of these categories at one time or another. We just can't get stuck in them! With all that said, I want to acknowledge the guys who bust their butts. We just can't lean too heavily on them or they will burn out and then we are in trouble. And that's all I have to say about that. : )

19-Jul-14
Understood, thanks

19-Jul-14
Nuff said. You are right., it gets harder and harder everyday to please Americans They want it and they want it now and they want it cheap. I see it in my business all the time.

19-Jul-14
I confess: I wanted a free WVBA hat! :) However, my greed has since passed.

tom

19-Jul-14
I confess too - I was the one who said the shots were too long. LOL. ;-)

Not really. I've set many a range and I know better than to ever complain because I know the work involved in setting up.

WVBA went and did archery for Mt. Lakes NWTF Jakes day today where there was about 60-70 kids. I was told archery is always one of the most favorite stations.

Mid-State archers were hosting an ASA shoot at the same time and they only had 10 shooters. With the rain it wasn't a great day to be out shooting. I also heard an NFAA shoot (I think) was setup at Cedar Lakes during July 4 weekend and only 2 shooters were there. I hope this lack of interest is just a summer lull and as someone said above, I encourage everyone to go to a shoot and support a local archery club or archery business when you get the chance.

19-Jul-14
Just been reading this thread, as a Pennsylvanian about 25 miles north of the WV border. Our group is "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers", and we are a small crew that works like the dickens to create shoots that folks WANT to attend.

Pleasing everybody is NEVER going to happen. Some folks want shoots with exact hunting situations. Some want fun and "Oh My Gosh" shots. Others want distance. Then others want close shots. We've had people comment about poison ivy in areas 20 yards behind targets.

Some folks want vendors so they can shop. Others want a complete get-away, with nothing but Archers and no sales.

Trying to please everyone will never happen. And, all it takes is one "popular" or "well-known" person to make a make a less-than-positive comment, and the event gets a reputation.

The crew of our group (which is actually a sub-group of the parent Sportsmens Club) all try to put on an event...a shoot...that we'd all enjoy participating in. But, most of us are kept busy the entire event, so much that we don't get a chance to be a part of the fun.

The investment of time and energy to create a single-day shoot is a lot. Putting on a 2-day shoot...is quite mind-boggling, when you really look at what all needs to be done.

The "Sticks" crew wants to continue with our events, and we plan to do so. It would be very easy, though, to just discontinue as other groups have done, based on all the factors I noted.

We're Archers, and pretty much, we are not easily discouraged. You'd be amazed at how gratifying it is, to be sitting at the registration table, and watch your parking lot slowly fill up with folks who have chosen to visit your own event.

It makes it all worthwhile.

Sorry for me "crossing the border" to comment on the WV thread. But the common ties we all share really have no borders....

(PS: Thank you to the WV folks who I do know that come and visit our events. We really do appreciate it!)

20-Jul-14
In "looking for the good in everything and everyone", I can comment with experience on setting up/tearing down 3D targets, especially on steep hills such as ERBA.

Although it was hard, physical work, it was physically good for me to do just that, being a pencil pusher in a white-collar environment.

Plus, others with the same interest were also helping out and sharing archery/hunting knowledge along the way.

20-Jul-14
I hate to see clubs go away too. There are different reasons why some are still struggling and others have been abandoned. Most have been covered so there is no need for me to say why. However, I hate to see you guys lose your local shoots and clubs whatever the cause. But, on a positive note, we have no official club, just a ministry. Every second Saturday of the month, April through September, Johnson Chapel Church puts on a free archery shoot for all that want to come. Currently, there are no classes or trophies. You can chose to keep score or not. Shoot mixed groups of all types of bows, etc.... It is all for fun, comradeship, and praising the Lord if you desire.

It starts at 9 AM and ends at ??????????? All we ask is that you sign in. This is a God Given, family oriented activity and environment, so you'll be treated like it. It really is a great time. We average about 100 shooters per shoot and would love to see 300. There is no limit on how many rounds you get to shoot. We even feed you all you can eat and drink for free. No strings attached.

EVERYONE is welcome of all ages. For adults or youngsters with no bow or arrows, one will be provided. There is a practice range with bag target butts, and a 3D course. For youngsters who come with mom and/or dad and choose not to shoot, there is a playing area with swings, teeter totters, sand pits, and a volleyball court. For anyone who simply wants to relax and do something besides shoot there is a shaded pavilion, real rest rooms, and more than enough seating and such.

If anybody is interested in a great shoot, the best hot dogs you'll ever eat, and just plain fun, contact me with a pm or do a google search on Johnson Chapel Church for directions. It is located on Halls Ridge Road, about 1.2 miles from the I-77 and Route 460 intersection. You'll never be asked to take down or put up targets and, you'll never be charged for the enjoyment. We look forward to seeing some of you guys. God Bless

21-Jul-14
What a wonderful ministry! Thanks for sharing the information.

21-Jul-14
That is great Mountaineer.

21-Jul-14
Sorry everyone, Whispering Pines 3D range is not opening per Mr. Anderson. He apologizes for the oversight.

tom

21-Jul-14
To anyone who may have to travel far, your welcome at my house the night before to cut that burden down. If it becomes to many for that, further arrangements can and will be made to accommodate any and all. God Bless

• Sitka Gear