Mike F 16-Jul-14
Doug 16-Jul-14
Mike F 17-Jul-14
Jeff in MN 17-Jul-14
Bloodtrail 18-Jul-14
GoJakesGo 18-Jul-14
Jeff in MN 18-Jul-14
15-Jul-14
I just received message from a friend he has a kill tag for unit C that will go unused. He want to get it transfered to a youth to make use of it.

So I have a son that is 10, we need to decide by tomorrow night if we will use the tag. Now the problem, I have never gone myself and have not planned on it this year. But its an opportunity that I think should not be passed up?

So I am here wondering if anyone has advice, or "help" on this? Like I said I am currently in the dark and feel like a fish out of water.

15-Jul-14
Hey Doug-

Lucky you!

There is still plenty of time left on the clock to get things rolling - IF you would like!

Some things to consider:

Does your son want to go? Perhaps pop up a youtube video and watch a bear hunt in Wisconsin to get an idea/feel what it would look like

If you and your son are interested, do you have a place to hunt? Will you be able to find a place to hunt? Evaluate your resources.

Do you and your son have the time to get involved in something like this? Perhaps you want to put out 2-3 bait sites? That takes time Doug everything from scouting to placing/setting the bait site.

Money wise you could easily spend 100-200 in bait products, maybe more - what are your resources?

You'll find plenty of help here online, but perhaps a friend of a friend - ask around. Most people knowing a young person is involved in the hunt would be willing to help you!

What does Mom think?

Bear hunting isn't rocket science - but it takes planning and work to make things happen. Even after all that you may not see a bear.

School should be in session come opener and work schedules - schools out at 3...sneak out to the stand?

Is your son proficient with a firearm. Can he make a 20 yard shot with a slug? There is plenty of time to practice. A 20 gauge slug would work. 10 yr old with archery a stretch perhaps? I dont know....

You could go with an outfitter/guide and they could assist you if you would like as well - your call.

It would be a wonderful Father/Son experience. But dont force him - if he's interested after considering all options I say go for it.

Remember to bring a camera and video along!

Just some things to consider!

Best of Luck with your decision!

15-Jul-14
Doug,

I am booked, but I have plenty of bait if you decide to give it a go. If you find some help and need bait let me know, I will donate it for the hunt.

Do you have access to land? Where are you thinking? Do you have time to run baits? All big questions that only you can answer.

Mike

16-Jul-14
Very nice MIKE! Doug hope this works for you, Bear hunting with your son will be awesome , wish My Dad would have done that with me! Bloodtrail has great points

16-Jul-14
Son is nervous in general of even deer hunting this year, I think we are going to pass but I gave him until tonight to decide.

He shoots well with small caliber and turkey loads and feel confident with some practice he would do great with a .270

Mike thats a great offer, will let you know if its needed. But baiting sites may be out of the question because of the distance we would need to travel, we are in Sheb. cty.

Man I wish I had time and planned for this, my family and I have been having a crazy summer and this maybe to much to bite, but thought it is a great opportunity as I hear bear tags are hard to get. (not sure on this zone?)

It all rests on if my son wants to tackle something this large this early, if he shows excitement I will find a way to make it happen. If not then I will find a youth to use the tag. I don't want to be the pushy dad, I want him to wan it.... :)

16-Jul-14
A 20 gauge slug gun is a great choice,,,, I would take a slug like that over a 270 anyday....... Doug sounds like you are a wise father, and a good one,,,,

Not all kids are created equal. They have to come into this hunting world at their own pace, and your right no to be pushy,,,,,,,,

I was reading a book the other night, about a boy in Alaska no more than 9 years old, that had killed 4 bears already in his life,,,,,,,, point is he was using a 20 gauge slug, gun of choice for his age in Alaska,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16-Jul-14
My son shot his bear when he was 10 as part of the Learn to Hunt Bear program. It was shot with a .243 which is plenty of gun with no kickback. My daughter shot her bear at age 13 with a .243 also.

I say have him go. He'll love it.

16-Jul-14
I personally think the rifle has less kick then the 20 with slugs. I grew up on slug guns and my shoulder enjoys the rifles much more :)

16-Jul-14
Truth be told, when a bear is at the bait and it's the moment of truth - no one remebers the recoil or the loudness of the shot! Well, at least I dont!!

Go with what the youngster is comfortable with!

Wishing you the very best!

16-Jul-14
I've seen plenty of bears shot with rifle and shotgun, if he is fine with the rifle, have him use that over the 20ga.

16-Jul-14
Doug,

Where are you hoping to hunt? Maybe we can help out?

Mike

16-Jul-14
Mike I would have a place to stay in Cameron.

But my son decided to pass, he wants to concentrate on deer for now. He is a bit timid when it comes to trying new things, he is one that wants to know all details and wants to be good at everything from the start. Needless to say that does not suit well to last minute adventures.

I will have to suck up manly pride and settle with deer :)

Thanks for the help offers though!

17-Jul-14
Doug,

Thanks for letting us know. I appreciate you letting him make the decision. That's a big part of growing up.

Too many times I see children being pushed into something their parents want them to do and in the end get turned off by it.

Good luck to you and your son this upcoming season!

Hunt Safe!

17-Jul-14
I think 10 is a bit young for a bear hunt unless the kid has had lots of experience hunting under his belt. Bear fever is much more overpowering than buck fever, even for someone that thinks they are past getting buck fever. Anyway sounds like he made the right choice for himself. Now be sure he starts to apply for a bear tag every year.

18-Jul-14
Buck fever - bear fever - if your "past" it, time to stop hunting! I still shake at the sight of a deer I'm going to shoot! Bears have never had the same effect - hearts pounding some, but not like a deer.

Everyone's a little different!

Like Jeff said - start applying!

18-Jul-14
^^^LIKE^^^

18-Jul-14
Buck fever - bear fever - if your "past" it, time to stop hunting! BT got that right. You might think you are past it because of a few calm kills then something will trigger it again when you least expect it.

• Sitka Gear