jtek 22-Jul-14
RutNut@work 22-Jul-14
Screwball 22-Jul-14
jtek 23-Jul-14
18-Jul-14

Bullwinkle's Link
Second wave hitting the market

18-Jul-14
I'd love to be an adjacent owner to a landlocked piece. These parcels will sell way under fmv.

18-Jul-14
Interesting if anyone would be interested in the parcels with hunting and fishing restrictions. Only a logging company you'd think would want those?

18-Jul-14
So why are they selling the non landlocked parcels? I thought the big point of this was to get rid of the land that the public couldn't access.

18-Jul-14
The law says they have to identify 10,000 acres to pay into the stewardship fund. Talked to the DNR today. They have the easy and less attractive parcels on in these first two waves. Some better lands coming.

First auction is being planned for Sept.

18-Jul-14
As I bid most of you good bye, and for one that has access to alot of good private property.... let me say this........

DNR managment is all about private property.... DTR is all about private property.... DMAP is all about private property... Dr. Kroll is all about private property.... QDM is all about private property......

Wis new regime and outlook is all about private property.........

Wis has really no thought on public property, or its development, or management, they really do not care........

You might here some nonsense from Scott Craven on Wis NPR, about their agenda, but I can assure you the message from Cathy Stepp is loud and clear, there idea of deer management is all about private property,,,,,,,,,,,,

18-Jul-14
razorhead, you are 100% correct, the DNR does not give a damn about managing public land. Nor do they care if the public land hunter is happy or not. They hide behind this ruse of recruitment when it comes to things such as crossbows. But the biggest reason people quit hunting is lack of access to quality land. I guess a politician has figured out how to profit from managing and improving public land, or it would be done.

19-Jul-14
Oh man Rut, just when I think your making some progress! Crap!

OK, I'll bite. What should the WDNR be doing to public land that will make it a better place for you and Razor to hunt.

What projects should be set in place? And, just how much public funds should be spent?

I am a public land hunter and I am happy - apparently you men are not. What should be done gentlemen?

19-Jul-14
I don't hunt public but no funds needed, in fact make $$$ and change the public land hunt overnight:

1)massive logging 2)No gun party hunting 3)No deer drives 4)No baiting 5)Property specific public land antlerless tags via Dmap.

The hunt quality would be much better quickly.

19-Jul-14
Of course the DNR cares about private land. It is a vital component in deer management. There is much private land across the state that is home to animals of all species that belong to the public. They need to find ways to manage those private lands in conjunction with the public lands.

As for crossbows being a "ruse of recruitment," I can tell you that in every meeting and hearing that I sat through on the crossbow issue, the DNR consistently testified and appeared for information only. The crossbow issue was handled through the legislature, not by DNR rule.

19-Jul-14
CaptMike, that's why I said what I did about politicians. There is someone getting some money or serious political favors for the crossbow deal.

As far as improving public land, I agree with everything November said. Plus I would set aside some public parcels for archery only.

19-Jul-14
I think that's a great idea RutNut. Expand primitive areas in the CNF. Even though I shoot a compound, I think it would be good to go trad only.

19-Jul-14
Trad only areas would be a great idea.

20-Jul-14
"Trad only areas would be a great idea."

That's a great idea. They have barbless, artificial trout streams why not carry the same concept over? The DNR could then get the harvest they want in the 9 day gun season.

20-Jul-14
razorhead is spot on.

21-Jul-14
I have a parcel the joins my land that will be going up for sale. Only a 40 touches mine but they unfortunately put it up as an 80 acre piece. It is basically very low land with few trees. Good places for deer to bed on the few high humps with good cover of the tail grass but not very huntable at all. Some places you could maybe build towers for gun hutning but some years you would need chest waders to even get to your stand. I am sure curious on the minimum price or will they just let it go to the best bid when only marketed to adjoining land owners? Not thinking the wife will be to into the idea of buying more frog raising bog.

21-Jul-14
jtek, if the money is right and it adjoins yours buy it. They are not making more land. 30 years ago my brother and I bought a 400 hundred acre piece. Owner offered 2200 acres and a farm for $146,000.00 One of the biggest mistakes we ever made. On the up side we got a beautiful piece of land and added a few hundred more to it over the years. Buy Land, value rarely goes down. Some day someone will want a piece like you own. We have been offered crazy money from what we paid per acre.

22-Jul-14
Adjacent land for sale is a once in a lifetime event. Buy it and use it for a sanctuary.

22-Jul-14
I hear you guys. I already have ~40 of my 87 acres that is the same deer sanctuary type of wetland. I am convinced already but I think the wife feels the money is better spent on vacations and on the grandkids. Please send $$ ;-)

22-Jul-14
Jtek, I know you were kidding about sending money. But if you have relatives or friends that you think you could enter into a business deal and trust them, that may be the route to go. Otherwise as far as the wife goes, it's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

22-Jul-14
RutNut, That is so true. jtek,See what the price is.

23-Jul-14
Thanks for the feedback gents. I think it may be the forgiveness route. I don't think I want to involve family and friends as most of the access to it is thru my best stands. Plus hard for me to give up control even to family. I will be looking into it for sure. I could have one awesome sanctuary.

I also have land on another border that is for sale but the price is just too high. Beyond the forgiveness level I fear. But I am pondering that also.

• Sitka Gear