Rut Nut 14-Aug-14
Gene 25-Aug-14
horsethief51 25-Aug-14
horsethief51 26-Aug-14
Gene 29-Aug-14
Mule Power 02-Sep-14
Gene 05-Sep-14
18-Jul-14
I noticed that pgc states non-residents have "equal opportunity" when it comes to the elk draw. Is there a cap on the number of non-resident tags that are awarded?

In my opinion these tags should be awarded to pa residents only, with the exception of 1-2 govener tags. There are lots of states out there that would not even consider giving non-res a tag like this.

I now have 10 elk preference points, maybe one day i will get lucky! Would definately be a dream come true to hunt elk in these mountains!

18-Jul-14
Andy, as far as I know there is no cap on NR's.

I feel thats the way it should be.

Bill V.

18-Jul-14
So we have the first crack at getting one of 1000's of doe tags. But not one of 200 +\- elk tags.

18-Jul-14
Hell no, it shouldn't be that way. Residents should get all the tags, except one. Which should be auctioned to the highest bid. Proceeds then, should be used at the discretion of the State Wildlife Biologists. I'm sure they need it.

18-Jul-14
Mine was awarded wed. in columbia co., a guy at work had his awarded Monday at 1:00 in Snyder co.

Think I'm sending second round to Snyder co.!!

19-Jul-14
I think the tags should be for residents only or start charging the non-residents the same amount as the other states charge us. $250 for a non-resident tag is a steal, especially with the quality of elk we have compared to other states.

19-Jul-14
Ok, so realistically non-residents could draw all of the tags? I understand the odds of that actually happening are slim to none, but still does not seem right. I feel like I'm missing something here?

20-Jul-14
Where did the elk in Pa come from?

20-Jul-14
Costco......

20-Jul-14
I have hunted elk in NM several times and after the 3rd trip finally had an area figured out. Now as a non resident you can not even hunt this area. New Mexico has made all of there state "game lands" open to residents only. There entire tag structure is totally different than what we are used to, and there is the possibility as a resident you may not even get a big game tag in any given year. It kinda torqued me off, but I have to admit if I was a resident of New Mexico I would be elated!!

I guess my issue is that if other state are going to start doing this type of thing than maybe we should start looking after our own residents a little better.

20-Jul-14
Its kind of like the powerball.....other people will benefit from the money I give away far quicker and more often than I will, so I just don't see the practicality in playing. PA elk....same thing.......out of staters get the same chance as me? fine.....if I ever want an elk, Ill go to CO....they got plenty......and I can go when I want.

21-Jul-14
My initial reaction was "screw the nonresident, those elk should be for resident hunting only" - even though I'm a nonresident.

But those elk are there, in part, due to license sale revenue of which the nonresident plays a part.

So if I had a say, I'd base it on # of resident hunting license sales compared to nonresident hunting license sales. That would mean that there would be 25 bull elk tags for residents and 2 for non residents and 75 resident cow tags and 6 nonresident tags.

21-Jul-14
Oh, and I forgot to mention, seeing as it's my plan, I get 1 of the resident and 1 of the nonresident tags.

I'm giving the resident tag to my good friend RC Painter.

It'll do my heart good knowing that I personally saved the life of one of PA's most majestic animals. :^)

21-Jul-14
I think what Bill was saying was that they were originally brought in from out West(Rocky Mountain ELk).

I wish all elk states were more reciprocal with their tags and pricing. Of course there is a big difference in population from state to state.

23-Jul-14
Definitely they should charge more for non-residents.

11-Aug-14
I feel that the non resident tags should cost 525.00 and there should only be 10 of them.

11-Aug-14
I have not said much because I know what this will turn into. But here goes anyway :)

If you guys have ever read some of the decussions from the western states on this you may have seen how hunters can turn on hunters over tags due to their residence status. That just seems wrong to me since many different entities have a hand in the conservation efforts of every state (most may not realize it).

Residents always feel they have a right to the animals in they're state, and in some ways they do. What someone will tell me is The state owns the animal, Yup, they sure do, I get that and its been challenged in court. But ya know, in the spirit of the situation we're all brothers and there are ways that all have contributed in some way. heres a few:

Pitt-Robertson gives money to all the states GC's even earmarks some for special projects like relocations and reintroductions.

Donations by conservation orgs, in this case specifically RMEF and some help from others.

Isn't some of the land the elk are on Federal? if so every tax payer plays some little part in some way.

Listen guys, to me it doesn't seem to make sense to shut out NR's for our own slim impossible chance. What happens if all states did that? None of us would ever have a shot at a goat tag or a sheep tag. Antelope,Bison,Mt lion etc...

Our system is working right now for us and is fair to all. I looked at 2011 and 2012, combined there were 37 Bull tags and only 2 went to NR's. there was also 84 cow tags and only 2 of those went to NR's.

Seems pretty good to me.

I'm with Hellrazor on the tag price, and the answer for a fair NR allocation is probably somewhere in the middle. I think it would be real fair to have a NR cap of 20% and maybe a 10% min of the tags for NR.

Have fun, fire away. Bill V.

11-Aug-14
Sounds fair Bill.

13-Aug-14
You guys see they are raffling off a special tag this year?! If you win it, not only can you use it in any Elk Zone, you have 60 days to hunt AND you get a week at one of the local outfitters(room and meals).

13-Aug-14
They already held that raffle.I believe it went for around $40,000.That included a week with an outfitter,and also taxidermy.

13-Aug-14
That's a different one, hunt! That was an auction. This is a RAFFLE- you pay $20 per chance and they will draw a winner from the pot. Won;t cost you an arm and a leg- just have to be (extremely) lucky! ;-)

14-Aug-14
http://www.experienceelkcountry.com/elktag

Deadline midnight Aug.15

14-Aug-14

Deadline midnight Aug.15

14-Aug-14

Deadline midnight Aug.15

14-Aug-14

Deadline midnight Aug.15

14-Aug-14
That's the one Gene! Thanks for the reminder- gotta do it today! :)

25-Aug-14
I'm a NR with 11 PP going into this years drawing. "Unsuccessful"again! I would like to know what percentage of the applicants are Non Residents and what percentage of the winners are Non Residents. That would be an interesting comparison. My wife asked how long I would continue to enter the PA lottery and I told her that as long as I am healthy I would keep entering. Good luck to you all that drew tags!

25-Aug-14
You go gene! Say hi to Ela. When is a good time to call you guys when you are both home,

26-Aug-14
OOOOPS. Wrong Gene. Sorry.

29-Aug-14
No problem Art! If your ever passing thru CT, give me a call.

02-Sep-14
In most elk states residents can buy OTC licenses and we have to draw. Also.. in most staes non-res hunters pay 90% of the bills. Some states don't give out NR elk tags. I think we should at least have reciprocal pricing. If someone from Montana draws a Pa tag it should cost $877. Why not?

Also... in draw areas they cap non res hunters at 10% of the tags. I see nothing wrong with capping non res opportunities.

States like AK and Wyoming require us to pay thousands to hire an outfitter to hunt certain species or in certain areas like WY wilderness after we pay for a tag. My Wyo elk tag is $1171.

Pa doesn't have enough licenses to open the door to unlimited non res elk hunting.

05-Sep-14
I was wondering if the percentage of tags drawn by non residents is less than, equal to, or more than the percentage of non residents that applied.

• Sitka Gear