Stinkbait1 21-Jul-14
Re_willis 21-Jul-14
Graysquirrel 22-Jul-14
Re_willis 23-Jul-14
soonerowl 23-Jul-14
Stinkbait1 23-Jul-14
razorsharp 28-Jul-14
18-Jul-14
This was my first time to put in for the mcaap hunts this year, and I was lucky enough to draw out in the Hominy area Nov. 7-9. I am very excited about this oppurtunity and as a lifelong compoud hunter I just recently took up shooting a recurve just to be able to hunt on base! Ive been looking at maps and sat pics of the hunt area trying to get a feel for the area and have been reading everything I could find out about it! Something that I keep coming across that I cant figure out is references to spots on base called AT's. Like AT10 or AT 21what are these? And I was wanting to ask for a little general info on how the hunt works. I know they are very structured but in what ways? And as I said earlier I'm pretty new to shooting a recurve so if any of you life longers have any tips, I'm all ears! Thank you!

21-Jul-14
Best tip I can give you on the recurve is practice, practice, practice! Next thing is to limit your shot distance. When practicing, if you can't put the majority of your arrows in the kill zone then you are too far from the target. As you get better, then gradually increase your shot distance. I don't know what poundage of bow you have but its a common mistake to purchase too much bow when switching to recurves or longbows. A 45 lb recurve will blow through any deer in Oklahoma. Take the time to tune your arrow/broadhead combo to get the best arrow flight possible. As for broadheads, get a good cut on contact head and make sure it is razor sharp and flies well. Don't use mechanicals out of trad gear. You want to shoot an arrow/broadhead combo that's 8-10 grains per pound of draw weight. So, if you are shooting a 45 lb bow @28" and your draw length is 28 in. then you want a total arrow weight of 360-450 grains. You may have to experiment a bit to get the best arrow for you.

As for the AT designations, I'm not sure what those are. As for the hunt, if you camp you can start checking in at 2:00 on Wed. If you are there earlier than 2:00 they will run you off. 2:00 means 2:00, not 1:55. I speak from experience. If you get there early go hang out at the truck stop that's about 1/4 mile south of the MCAAP entrance. Thursday is official check-in. They also go over the rules. OBEY ALL RULES! Once you are done with check-in you pick your parking spot or join up with a driver and head out to scout and hang stands around 1:00. They will tell you when to be back at your vehicle. Best advice I can give you is to set up on sign. On the mornings of the hunt, you meet at the fire pit, load your gear and caravan out. You can come in for lunch but I always pack a lunch and stay in the field. Most importantly, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE HUNT.

21-Jul-14
Thanks stinkbait I greatly appriciate the advice and tips!!! Don't worry if I'm out in the woods, I'm having a great time!!!

22-Jul-14
The AT designations are road and bunker numbers. You drew in for what is usually the rutt starting. Bucks will be chasing all over. Listen to the rules, they are dead serious about them. Avoid the ridges , deer there dont act normal. Stay in the bottoms close to the thickets and clearing

This hunt is 90 percent luck, 8 percent just because, and 2 percent hunting skill

23-Jul-14
That's some very sound advice! Thank you gray squirrel!!! I knew the rut would be around then!

23-Jul-14
I second what stinkbait said. Have FUN! I have been 3 times and can tell I was too wrapped up in it the first time. Heck of a hunt, best guys in the world to be around, great opportunity. Soak it up.

23-Jul-14
Graysquirrel is correct. They are dead serious about the rules. If you decide to be a driver, be sure to thoroughly go through your vehicle. If you have anything on the prohibited items list in your vehicle, on your person or in your pack you will get kicked out. I've heard they will even kick you out if they find spent shotgun shells or brass. Some items are permitted in camp but not in the hunt area. Make sure you know which is which. The last time I drove our caravan got pulled over on Thurs and every vehicle and every person was searched. We had to "assume the position" and got the pat down. They even looked inside my can of Copenhagen. They were just doing their job and were very professional and nice to us. Just remember, security and safety is their #1 priority. Since it is such a luck hunt, no place is any better than another. Just pick a spot that looks good to you and do your best and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to set up close to the roads. These deer see people and vehicles all the time. Last year I was less than 100 yards off a road when I killed my doe. I also saw a buck that would go at least 170". Good luck to you. I will be there on Nov. 14-16 in Boggy.

28-Jul-14
2nd! This hunt is 90 percent luck, 8 percent just because, and 2 percent hunting skill

• Sitka Gear