speedy 19-Jul-14
Big-Otis-Jeff 19-Jul-14
Big-Otis-Jeff 19-Jul-14
wvbownut 19-Jul-14
bicster 19-Jul-14
WVM&M 20-Jul-14
TexasAggie 24-Jul-14
18-Jul-14
My field points shoot way high and left versus my broad heads.

Taken to the local pro shop, everything looks good they say, tuned thru paper. I check my arrows, nock placement, fletching all looks good.

So for the last year I have just practiced with broad heads on, but sparingly...

I want to start shooting more, but I have got to figure this out..

Any ideas? Bad batch of arrows maybe? I even refletched them all last year.

18-Jul-14
I wonder if your arrows are not stiff enough for the broadheads.

18-Jul-14
That is the exact reason I quit shooting field points over 15 years ago. I only shoot broadheads. I have to get several replacement pieces and buy new targets every couple of years.

I know "theorically" if your tuning is fine your field points and broadheads should fly the same. At least in my experience it wasn't that common to get field points and broadheads to fly the same.

Yes, I went thru all the common steps, checking vane clearance, paper tuning, adjusting nocks, etc.

Since I refuse to hunt with expandables, I just simply got tired of readjusting everything to switch from field points to broad heads every year.

I know some people don't have problems switching, I just was rarely that lucky. I don't have any answers for you, but I do know what you are talking about.

18-Jul-14
there is always mechanicals. I use spitfires and I've never had a problem with them (knock on wood). Not a fan of the ones held together by rubber band or the ulcer edges. I had the same problem and changed arrow sizes and it solved the problem. You are spinning the broad heads and not just tightening them. What type of broad head? do you have a helical or straight fletch?

19-Jul-14
Also they say if the arrow is not cut off perpendicular to the shaft that will affect the broad head shooting

19-Jul-14
IDK....I guess I will try new arrows and if that fails.....Just keep shooting broad heads, as I don't shoot any 3-d anymore.

19-Jul-14
I may look at a heavier arrow and going with 125 grain head , versus 100

19-Jul-14
what poundage do you shoot and what type of arrow and how long an arrow?

19-Jul-14
The reason people want to shoot expandables is because they supposedly shoot like their field points. If your fixed blade BH shoots that much different than your field point it means that you have an improperly tuned arrow. The shop my have the bow shooting good tears through paper but that may just be because they are compensating the spine issues by adjusting the rest. I don't shoot compounds so the tuning is mostly with the arrow set up with very little adjustments being made with the nocking point position and brace height. I usually use paper tuning along with the planing method and bare shafting. This all helps me dial in the right arrow setup. With all that being said, I sometimes find it to be a painstaking task to dial it the right combination. Disclaimer: I am no expert and am always learning new tips for tuning.

20-Jul-14
It is a difficult task to have perfect arrow balance. And the bigger diameter of broadhead the more an unbalanced arrow will affect flight. I use to have my arrows spun and adjustments made to each broadhead/arrow combo.....but there was never a point i felt totally confident more than 30 yards with a fixed broadhead. I switched to spitfires many years ago and erratic flight went away.

24-Jul-14
paper tuned doesn't mean broadhead tuned. If your arrow is spined right and your broadheads spin true, you should be able to get them to hit together by tuning the rest. Start moving the rest toward the miss 1/16" at a time. Your broadheads and field points should converge at some point. When you find it, move your pins and you're good to go.

• Sitka Gear