Bloodtrail 14-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 22-Aug-14
Pasquinell 22-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 22-Aug-14
Pasquinell 22-Aug-14
19-Jul-14

Novemberforever's embedded Photo
Novemberforever's embedded Photo
here's a $276 turkey hunt walk x2. Good news is the bears hit are bait after 2 days.

19-Jul-14
I don't understand.

19-Jul-14
Yes November, please enlighten us!!

BT

19-Jul-14
I run trespassing cameras year around as well November.

Ever consider taking them to court for your stress and losses? My lawyer says I have a good case. I save all my receipts waiting for my next trespasser. The problem is $267 isn't enough money to change some peoples behaviors. $10,000 might? Adds up quickly food plot expense and taxes. Since they are using the land, they may as we pay.

Something to think about

19-Jul-14
There will be those that get down on you for busting what appears to be a father and son. I say good job, perhaps the lesson will teach the kid to not be a dirtbag trespasser like his father.

19-Jul-14
What better way to learn how to violate than by Dad? Good to see I am not the only one who will turn in trespassers at any time of the year!

Way to go!

20-Jul-14
"I don't understand."

I run reconyx all year for ass clown moves like, a) turkey hunting, b) Shed hunting C) morel hunting d) Fornicating d) Bow/gun hunting e) Hound training/hunting/, f) Ect. I have a ZERO tolerance policy so both are getting a $276 trespass ticket. As a side note, our bear baits were hit 48 hours after first installing ever! Sweet.

So reasons 1 thru 19 for trailcams are the "entitled" local assclowns who feel they own this dirt cuz his granpappy and first cuzin bred here.Locals who feel entitled can kiss my a$$ after I blow their MCL out.

20-Jul-14
here's a $276 turkey hunt walk x2. I will be willing to bet it wasn't times two........... Youth...

I don't like trespassers either,,,, but after you """ blow their MCL out. """ for trespassing they will own your land and you with a good attorney. Its called reasonable force/action. Think before you act!

20-Jul-14
That's why I think where you hit them arrow is in their bank account.

Let them make 5 years payments for their theft. Small claims court can go I think to $25K

20-Jul-14
They used your land make them pay the taxes and the fine along with a record and maybe loss of fishing and hunting license. Big problem is getting a DA and / or judge to enforce the law the way it is written and intended.

20-Jul-14
What I am thinking is not to reclaim the money myself but make them pay it to a great cause - like Wounded Warrior.

This way they learn a lesson they will not forget - land is expensive, don't steal it

Trespassers take the fun out of owning land. I've got my place wired to catch them like November. Thankfully I have a caretaker who lives on the place with a reputation of catching and holding people accountable for trespassing. It has been about 4 years since my last incident, so I haven't been able to try my idea -which is great

I have to say the law enforcement I have dealt with in the past has been awesome as well

20-Jul-14
I have never nor would I ever get physical with a trespasser. I do prosecute all of them regardless of the BS excuse given, always locals and word gets out. Sadly, the $276 fine is just not enough of a deterrent.

20-Jul-14
""""I have never nor would I ever get physical with a trespasser""""..... Then why post..."""Locals who feel entitled can kiss my a$$ after I blow their MCL out ???????

20-Jul-14
Why buy land if all the ramifications of trespassing is a $276 fine. That is the taxes on about 35 acres in MFL, 10 out.

The fine needs to have more teeth - like $1000 and loss of hunting rights for 1 year.

I had one neighbor who would brag about paying trespassing fines are so much cheaper than leasing and buying land. Got the lawyers involved ahead of this - has not messed with me since.

20-Jul-14
Did you know the fines and possibility of trespassing when you bought and enhanced the land?

Don't get me wrong - trespassing is violation of privacy and against the law. They should be punished to its fullest extent but I read all the time about 5,6,7 time convicted DWI,DUI who continue to drink, drive even after their stay in the iron bar hotel. People are stupid regardless if you take away hunting rights etc. Some will still do it.

When I lived in Upstate NY there was a land owner who patrolled his property utilizing a helicopter! He meant business so you high rollers might consider it!

20-Jul-14
"""""I have never nor would I ever get physical with a trespasser""""..... Then why post..."""Locals who feel entitled can kiss my a$$ after I blow their MCL out ???????" It's because he has act like a bad-*ss to make for his childhood when he was picked on daily and had his lunch money taken and school books knocked to the ground. Or he wants everyone to think he is this big tough guy when in fact all he is doing is blowing hot air and making it look like a big-shot. Lack of self-esteem!

20-Jul-14
The majority, the VAST majority of trespass fines are written on an ordinance level. Hardly ever is a trespass violation prosecuted criminally in this State. In fact, I have never seen it happen...ever!

I am willing to wager that all 72 counties in this State have an ordinance violation for trespassing. Any citation written is on an ordinance citation and is a simple civil forfiture - pay your fine and move on.

Only cases with multiple offense or aggravated circumstances would see a criminal prosecution and I am willing to be the "trespassing" would be dropped in a plea agreement-

So, that's the best anyone can hope for, a fine and if you pay it - never see the inside of a courtroom!

Simple stated, there are not enough prosecutors or time to deal with it. I dont like it anymore than anyone else, but that's the way it goes!

21-Jul-14
My lawyer says you can sue for damages. Put human scent in a sanctuary, the stress of the situation, stealing your time and resources, etc. I keep all my receipts for a run at it.

At the end of the day, it's about making the situation painful financially. Even if I don't win, so what, the likelihood of a repeat goes down. Even just having them get a lawyer will be more than the $276 fine and long term for me the expense is a good investment

21-Jul-14
Bullwinkle someone could find a dirt bag lawyer that will sue for stress reading some of your posts. If you have that much cash and willing to part with it go for it.

Trespassing is against the law but showing your(not literally you) stuff off, talking about and showing jumbos whether on a bow/gun site or sitting at a restaurant, planting corn roadside to prevent shining are all stimulants to the less than desirables. I work for a pharmaceutical company and our tractor trailers are plain wrapped for the most part on purpose.

Our trailers still get broken in because we use a "super" seal/lock like no other on our trailers mandated by Canadian Gov. That lock is nothing more than a enticement for thieves and they just "know" there is more value in them or gotta be some good stuff.

I don't know where you live but I am sure there have been many on this site alone that took the time to find out. Your neighbors may be jealous etc. When I put some new expensive rims and tires on my vehicle I got many inquiries on to cost etc. People noticed and I felt like I should be watching it at all times so it didn't end on blocks cause it could have. But that's the risk I took. Sue for "stealing your time and resources" - yes maybe... BUT "Put human scent in a sanctuary, the stress of the situation ???" ... I would like a picture of the judges face if you would please.

Blowing out MCL's or crushing skulls probably isn't the way to go either so prosecute to the fullest and enjoy your enhanced land. The more and more people around you fix up their places may ease the trespassers on your acreage.

All this for bone on the head...sad to me. I wish they never grew antlers bigger than spikes.

21-Jul-14
I'm sure your lawyer did say you can sue for damages, what he didn't say is that there is about 0% chance of you winning anything from them. The only winner will be the lawyer who's charging you by the hour. Ask him if he will take the case and only get paid if he wins?

21-Jul-14
Zinger, let's not forget that someone sued McDonalds because the coffee was too hot and won $1mm. One never knows with a judge nowadays and suing for frivolous reasons has become the American way unfortunately.

We have interesting people here in bowsite. Some want to shoot people's dogs because they run in their property and others want to trash people's legs for walking in their property. I am glad there are laws that prevent this behavior.

21-Jul-14
"We have interesting people here in bowsite. Some want to shoot people's dogs because they run in their property and others want to trash people's legs for walking in their property. I am glad there are laws that prevent this behavior." Like they say, "Karma is a b*tch" and those individuals will get their due!

21-Jul-14
Whats the difference between a local trespasser and McD's-one has money.

21-Jul-14
Never shot a dog or shot at a dog, but a couple of years ago I had a couple of neighboring dogs running deer on the property that I was hunting for four days. I thought some pretty nasty thoughts in the direction of those dogs. Repeatedly. Especially after having talked to the neighbors.

If you're Catholic or Jewish, it's the thought that counts.

Someone else shot one of those dogs later, so I got the hairy eyeball from the neighbor even though I was nowhere around there when it happened. I was 350 miles away.

I feel bad for the aggravation that my buddies put up with from trespassing neighbors.

22-Jul-14
Nice post Pasq - very nice. Zinger good point!

You have to take resposibility of your own property.

Posting is ffective and telegraphs the appropriate mesaage.

If your not around all the time - try leaving a "decoy" car on the property that is visable. Security lighting "makes" a place look lived in or occupied.

We all know how to use trail camera's - hide them and watch the action when you get back. If vehicles are involved get the video going to tape license plates and faces.

Get all the evidence you can collect and notify the Sheriff's Office!

Trespassing in our County has gone way down - during the gun season we used to have a "trespasss patrol" car with two deputies. That car would just answer trespass calls.

The car is no longer needed and the few calls we get are handled by regular patrol.

Plate numbers/backtag numbers are huge!!

22-Jul-14
I hear you Bloodtrail, but remember most on hear fought to get rid of backtags and they are a great means of finding out who that person is. I for one would like to see the backtag stay.

22-Jul-14
I had a major problem on my 80 about 20 years ago. DNR and the local cops were no help, they would say, " call us when they are on the property" .

After 2 years I took matters into my on hands. Lets just say it cost the poachers a lot more than $ 276 . Never had another problem. I was not happy that I was forced to take care of the problem, thats not the right way to go.

22-Jul-14
I had the same problem with local law enforcement and the DNR as Ruger. I also took matters into my own hands, I didn't hurt or threaten anyone. But I do know my way was effective.

22-Jul-14
I'm 80 miles from my hunting land and I'm dealing with trespassers today, 7/22/2014. I look out my window and there is a mini van blocking my driveway. I walk outside and there are 4 people picking berries in my YARD. Where we live we have 7 acres and it's loaded with berries. I ask these people what they are doing. They say picking berries. I tell them they are trespassing, their answer is I'm being greedy as I have more than enough berries.

I told the old battle axe that did most of the talking, that had they simply stopped and asked. They would be free to pick as many berries as they wanted. I then told them to leave, I let them take the berries they had already picked. As they were leaving one of the group told me my type, is what's wrong with america today. I told him I think he's a bit confused. Sheesh, some people, I have never caught a trespasser that didn't have entitlement issues. They must all be Liberals.

22-Jul-14
Try dealing with an overwhelmed DA on a criminal trespass issue. Not saying it isnt an issue but they have bigger issues to deal within most areas.

Fines are sufficient for most but some properties seem to funnel the crowds of unwanted hunters. I do my best to assist these landowners but you cant seem to please everyone and they expect you to lock everyone up.

22-Jul-14
Trapper, back tags would have done nothing in the picture above because 1. they were turkey hunting that doesn't require a back tag and 2. their backs were not visible. It's not just deer hunters that trespass. Why inconvenience everyone for the violations of a few? This is the same argument that anti-gunners use to try to take away our guns.

22-Jul-14
Zinger, I was referring to Bloodtrails post where he said "Plate numbers/backtag numbers are huge!!" and I would think there is a big push up in the complaints of trespass during the bow and gun season where backtags are required.

22-Jul-14
I'm on the fence with backtags - they can be a great tool in identifying a person trespassing or doing something illegal - like taking the lives of other hunters in northern WI? But are worth the bother?

Outside that particular case, (homicide), I really wonder how much they help statewide.

I strongly suggest not taking action yourself - leave it to the folks that are trained to deal with it. Some folks dont have a sense of humor and can be very dangerous.

Your best defense is to be a good witness, jot down time/date - location - plate numbers, backtags, names if mentioned and help the deputy help you!

Remember Ruger and Rut - the WDNR does not enforce trespassing laws. Trespass is handled by local law enforcement, most often Sheriff's deputies.

Sign postage is huge - I like the "camera surveillance - video" signs the best! Keeps honest folks honest and makes the bad guys think twice - crook dont like pictures/video. It doesnt matter if you have em or not - they dont know and few if any will take the chance!

22-Jul-14
I realize that there are more people in the woods during deer season but it's a very slippery slope. If it's so good that deer hunters should wear it in case they break the law then why not raccoon hunters since they trespass often also? What about asperagus pickers? Around here they're known to wear camo to sneak onto property to steal asparagus. How about trout fishermen that walk across land to get around a dead fall in the creek? Heck why not everybody on the street have one on in case the shop lift ot J walk?

23-Jul-14
How about back tags for all hounds. Just kidding, get rid of all back tags. They are useless.

23-Jul-14
Ruger - They are hardly "useless!" Check with the family members in the Vang shooting - they may have a different opinion?

You may also want to check with your local warden, he/she as well may have a different opinion -

Are they a pain - yep!

Zinger - Wow!! It's not all about trespassing!

LE use it to check who has a license, who doesnt. In cases of poaching people may be able to catch a number to help in the investigation. They have proven to help in at least one homicide!

There are many different reason we wear them - yes, I agree they are a pain.

I would like to see an amendment to the rule that would allow folks to wear them on back packs and once in the tree be displayed on the back pack. They (tags)scrape against the tree and are noisy, plus a warden couldn't read them if they wanted to.

23-Jul-14
BT, I have had two different wardens tell me that wearing the back tag on the pack is ok by them and is a warden discretion thing. I would like to think that all wardens in the state have the common sense to understand that wearing them on your pack makes more sense.

23-Jul-14
BT really how does LE use them to check who has a liscence or not unless they have them right in front of them? They can't look from a distance anymore because they are the same color every year and the numbers are so small they can't read them unless they're right on top of them. No it's not all about trespassing, think of the shop lifters they could catch if everyone was required to wear one?

Wearing one on a backpack is perfectly legal because they require it to be on the outermost garment so it's visible. But technically it can't be on the backpack if you're not wearing it in the tree. So to be perfectly legal you need to wear it on your backpack, then when you get to your tree you need to take off your safety vest, take the tag off your backpack, and put it on your safety vest then when you're done hunting you need to take it off your vest and back onto your backpack. Although technically I guess you would be violating the law because it's not on your back while your switching it from your backpack to your vest.

As for the Vang reference I'm so sick of that, he would have been caught without it. It's again just like the logic used by the anti-gunners. If the shooter at Sandy Hook wouldn't have had XYZ gun then the kids wouldn't have been shot. Yes they would have! If they didn't scribble down the tag number Vang would still have been caught. Even if it did help it's not a reason to inconvenience everyone else.

23-Jul-14
Zinger - I apologize, wasn't aware of your criminal justice case study in the Vang shooting. But ya gotta look at the big picture - Not only did it allow LE to catch Vang. It allowed for quick and solid confirmation that they (authorities) had the right man. And here is what most people like yourself forget Zinger - it also allowed criminal prosecutors to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Vang was the shooter - his tag number was written in the dust of an ATV by one of the victims!

Granted there was eye witnesses, and ya can be sick all ya want - it was one more huge nail in Vang's coffin!

Yes, I wear my tag on my backpack. Wouldn't it be nice to keep it on your back pack when hung in the tree as well? I think so!

Do you have any idea what optics/equipment are available to our wardens. You would be surprised just how far they are able to see. Observation is a key element to their jobs - dont think for a second they can't see your tag if they want too.

I think most folks in the LE community side with keeping them.

I find it a mild and somewhat annoying inconvenience, apparently others are a tad more put out I guess!

Shoplifters...that's a good one - but dont quit your day job! :^)

Good Hunting!

23-Jul-14
Sure most LE guys would side with keeping them, they would also like to be able to search your truck and home without a search warrant!

Would you be in favor of stricter gun control because it MIGHT, and key word MIGHT, have stopped a killing 20 years ago?

Do I have any idea what optics/equipment are available to our wardens? Pretty much yes I do considering I sell the DNR, and other LE departments, night vision, thermal imaging and lighting products! I've been to their trainings and put on trainings for them and seen the optics and other equipment they use.

Actually one place they are lacking is in their optics. Mid-range binoculars in the 8x and 10x range with objectives and glass quality not good enough to read numbers in low light. If you want to read a little number at 100yds a $500 10x40 aint going to do it! Spotting scopes the same thing because the powers that be won't justify $6000 for image stabilizing spotting scopes with 85mm objectives for lower light. Not that I think they need that kind of spotting scope but that's the only way they're going to read the numbers on a back tag and if the person is moving forget about it.

24-Jul-14
Zinger -

I suppose you never thought of the prosecutional merits of the back tag in the Vang case before? I guess I cannot blame you for not making mention. It was pretty obvious however!

I guess I would have been in "favor of stricter gun control because it MIGHT, the key word MIGHT, have stopped a killing 20 years ago" - AND IF that "killing" would have involve a loved one!! But it didn't - and your point is? Whatever.....

I find it interesting that you claim to be a salesman of law enforcement products in one breath and then in other you slam law enforcement because "most LE guys" "would like to be able to search your truck and home without a search warrant."

As that violates the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution I disagree with your opinion! It (4th amendment)protects all of us, law enforcement and citizens alike (which law people are as well) from unreasonable search and seizure. I dont know what LE people your selling your wares too, but you may want to ask them if the Fourth Amendment is important to them. Not only as law enforcement officers, but as citizens as well. You may be surprised Zinger!

I could check further but the last pair of binoculars I saw our local warden with was a set of Swarovski. I took a peak through them and the imaging was outstanding. Dont they cost some BIG dollars - I thought so!

"The powers to be" do not always use tax levy dollars in their equipment purchases. As a salesman you should know that much of the more expensive equipment is done with grant dollars on a federal level. Several years back we purchased 5 radars with a price tag of 2500 dollars per unit - awarded by a federal highway safety grant.

With the amount of enforcement activity that the WDNR does on both land and water I would suspect they receive many federal dollars in equipment purchases.

Here's a thought! Maybe their just buying their cheap stuff from you and saving the big sales for salesmen with a more favorable attitude towards law enforcement officers?

Just a thought!

Good Hunting!

24-Jul-14
You are correct Bloodtrail, our local LE has the top of the line optics like what you stated. How do I know? Been talking to a game warden as he was checking folks from a distance as they fished on a lake and he had Swarovski binoculars. Also my son-in-law is a deputy sheriff and he takes his patrol car home and I have checked out all the equipment in it. They now even have cameras mounted on the trunk of the patrol car that can read plates behind his car that will run the plate for him and give him a report without having to type it in. It can read to up to 100 yards behind him as he is moving.

24-Jul-14
Where is your son in law a deputy sheriff ? what county?

24-Jul-14

TrapperJack's embedded Photo
TrapperJack's embedded Photo
Portage Co. As the picture shows they are two black boxes mounted on the trunk which are the cameras. He is also a swat member.

24-Jul-14
My point is that just because of one case does not mean that everyone else should be inconveneinced. I feel sorry for all the loved ones in the Vang case but that's not a reason to keep a stupid and outdated law.

Perhaps I should have said it would make the jobs of LE easier if they could search without a warrant because you are correct that most officers, not Sheriffs and Cheifs, are quite conservative in their believes and want the Constitution upheld. But they are also taught how to ask to search in a way that it sounds like they are demanding it.

Most all of the wardens I've been in contact with carry Steiner binoculars, often times local sportsman's clubs will buy stuff for their local wardens such as we bought our's a higher end mountain bike that he uses on patrol. So how far can you read the little numbers on a back tag with an 8 or 10 power binocular in low light? Try it and get back to me, especially if the subject is moving.

Thanks for the lesson on grants and how LE buys some of their equipment - like I didn't know that, who do you think helps in the grant writing? As for my stuff being cheap the optics I sell to LE starts at about $4k and goes up to about $30K per piece.

24-Jul-14
Very cool Trapper! Thank your boy for his service and double duty as a S.W.A.T. member! Outstanding!

24-Jul-14
I for one would support higher license fees if it would be used to equip wardens with top end gear needed to do their jobs.

24-Jul-14
Well Zinger I gotta say - nice post!

Sorry for the "dig" on your cheap equipment - I really dont know what the hell your selling! Could be anything from George Foreman grills to Chi pets! :^)

And, no we are not "taught" how to ask to go about searching as if we are demanding it. Your way off base there. With the surge of scenting K-9's an officer can and may say that "a K-9 is on it's way - so I can search now or later, your call."

You would be amazed the amount of folks however that will "consent" to search if asked. Some knowing full well they have illegal items with them. Some folks are hard to figure out!

I'm meeting with our area warden this afternoon - I'll get his spin on backtags and see what he thinks! He might have an interesting spin! He's a great hard working guy!

24-Jul-14
Rut, that's why some sportsman's clubs are making the donations. Our local warden is a real go getter and when they were cutting back the gas they could use he came to us to ask about funding part of a mountain bike so he could do patrols on bike. Instead of partially funding it we paid for the whole thing (about $2500) and every year winter we pay to have it taken to a bike shop and gone over. We also bought him a binocular.

24-Jul-14
That's pretty cool Zinger. I have always felt that wardens are the most over worked/under appreciated people in law enforcement. I have my opinions of the other DNR staff, but I hold wardens in very high regard.

24-Jul-14
Wardens? I beg to differ...the real unsung heros are sheriff's deputies!! LOL :^)

Ooops, made a mistake our warden has "Steiner" bino's I reported that wrong.

In other news, our local warden is a BIG fan of backtags. He relates to them as a great tool in developing cases. He related that he gets many citizen complaints with the tag numbers as well.

He did add that he suspects they will someday go by the wayside however. So Zinger there is hope for you on the horizon my friend!!

24-Jul-14
"our local warden is a BIG fan of backtags." All wardens and landowners are. Do cops like license plates?

24-Jul-14
Yup! Cops like LICENSE PLATES!!!!!!!!!

24-Jul-14
I dont know...Zinger is a landowner and he doesnt like them?

And I bet if you surveyed any number of police officers (many of them hunt) you'd find some that dont like them at all!

As far as license plates, yes a front and a back one works just fine!

12-Aug-14
Trespassing case, you may find interesting, MERRILL - Frustrated by trespassing on his land, a 39-year-old Merrill man fired at least three shots from a gun at an all-terrain vehicle, the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

The 19-year-old ATV driver said the man confronted him with a .357-caliber pistol and another gun and as the ATV tried to drive way, the teenager heard a shot and then two more which he thought hit the ground near him, the agency said.

The landowner told investigators he fired three shots “to the north,” a lieutenant said.

The incident happened Friday night in the Town of Corning, just west Merrill.

"The landowner told the deputy he knew his actions were wrong but he was frustrated by the ongoing issue of trespassing by the suspect," a police report said.

The landowner was arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct and endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon, investigators said.

The teenager was cited for trespassing, having an expired ATV registration and littering, the sheriff's department said.

14-Aug-14
The guy couldn't be much of a father if he was teaching his son to trespass. I wish I could nail the local fat arse by my land. He thinks he has a right to go wherever he feels like. Caught him last year but, without any kind of camera. Won't make that mistake again.

14-Aug-14
There is the extreme on trepassing - but some folks reach a boiling point and that's when people get hurt and others go to jail!

Judging from the article posted by Screwball it appears the trespasser was "cited" (citation) and not jailed on a criminal offense of trespassing!

Again, nearly everyone recieves a citation - no criminal charges!

22-Aug-14

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
A group of another kind of trespassers. I already have permission to hunt the land that these cattle are pastured on. Now I hope this picture is going to help me get permission to hunt the land belonging to the owner of these cattle. This camera is over a small water hole that I made in that spot.

Twenty plus years ago cattle from the same pasture got into my apple trees. At that time the landowner pastured it himself. The incident resulted in the owner offering me the opportunity to hunt all of his land. I shot lots of deer and turkeys on his land over those years.

22-Aug-14
I think there is a UFO landing in the background also. Trespassers of another kind... be afraid be very afraid.

22-Aug-14

I think you are right about that UFO, there is no road or house over there and it got closer. Actually I really think it is border patrol looking for illegals.

22-Aug-14
Thththththtey're here....

• Sitka Gear