Odocoileus 21-Jul-14
bigbuckbob 21-Jul-14
Bloodtrail 21-Jul-14
Odocoileus 22-Jul-14
bigbuckbob 22-Jul-14
airrow 22-Jul-14
Toonces 22-Jul-14
20-Jul-14
"Because I continue to be accused of being Dave Streit, the black helicopter crowd will assume I wrote this."

Don't care if you are or aren't Dave Streit. I doubt your name is Bill Free. That's all I need to know. Whatever else you have to say is of no importance. If you can't level with anyone regarding who you are, you have no credibility with anything else.

20-Jul-14
LF and ODO

you have lost me. I was open to listen, but your lack of honesty concerning your identities and dismissive comments concerning the residents complaints about WB tell me that you have an agenda that benefits you personally.

Your posts are in vain.

20-Jul-14
How many cases of lyme disease are there in FC annually slyme?

20-Jul-14
You're correct. (I bet you love hearing that LOL). It is avoidable...go tell all your soccer moms to put tick repellent on their kids and do a thorough tick check each night. They should also check themselves...because you never know who that tick wants to make its host.

Go away....or sack up and meet for coffee.

20-Jul-14
At the time the alliance was formed, only the towns of Wilton and New Canaan had active programs to reduce the number of deer and educate the public on various deer overabundance problems.

I bet that comes as quite a shock to the Greenwich Sportman & Landowners Association which was formed in 1991 and began actively promoting bowhunting as a means to control the deer population.

The link below describes a project undertaken between the GSLA and the Greenwich Audubon society put forth in August 2003:

http://jackfsanders.tripod.com/deer/audubon.htm

Dave Shugarts delves deep into the science behind the diseases. “There is a great deal of confusion about the role of deer and the deer tick. Our job is to help people cut through the noise and understand the reproductive success of deer ticks is directly tied to the number of deer. It’s basic population ecology, but it can get confusing quickly when bad information is being circulated.” explained Mr. Shugarts.

Actually in free-ranging (non-insular settings) there's actually very little confusion:

In "The Coming Plague: Newly emerging diseases in a world out of Balance" (I have this book by the way) Laurie Garrett (Pulitzer prize winning author) cites Andy Spielman from the Harvard School of Public Health who showed that "getting rid of deer in a region didn't eliminate Lyme disease."

Ms. Garrett,now senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations, also stated that Spielman "very much felt that the mice were the key. I never heard Andy say we should slaughter the deer."

Spielman did however develop a novel way of effectively dealing with the tick that carries the spirochete:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/centennial-andrew-spielman-vs-the-deer-tick/

In "Ecology and environmental management of Lyme disease" S.R. Telford stated that "Eradication...is not achievable for any vector-borne infection."

Lastly, to further illustrate the point in the danger of assuming that the successes in insular settings such as Mumford Cove or Monhegan Island can be replicated in free-ranging situations can be highlighted in this NJ study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17915504

You'll note (once you do the conversion from km2 to mi2) that the deer density achieved was actually 8.2 dpsm. Again, in a non-insular setting with other mammalian hosts available simple reduction of the deer herd will not eliminate Lyme disease.

I'm all for disease control and in insular settings absent other potential mammalian hosts deer reduction has been proven to be effective. Outside of those settings though it has not and to promote it as such either shows ignorance of the realities of vector-borne diseases or some other motivation is behind the call to kill those kinds of numbers of deer.

20-Jul-14
"s it possible that as a resident of FC I am sick of people having their lives ruined by tick diseases when it is avoidable?"

"It is pretty simple"

OK, you have expressed your concern. Everybody has read your concerns and rationale. No One is buying it. Move on and pester someone else who might care.

21-Jul-14
Mike, your research skills are good but. . .1 square mile = 2.58999 kilometers squared. Therefore, 24.3 deer/km2 = 63 deer/sm, not 8.2 as you claim. A km2 is nearly a third of a square mile, not 3 times as large.

If you have 24.3 deer/km2 and it takes 2.58999 km2 to make 1 sm, 24.3 deer/km2 x 2.58999 km2/sm = 62.9 deer/sm.

Jordan et al reduced deer 47%, from 118 deer/sm to 63 deer/sm and saw no reduction in ticks. No kidding. That's more than 6 times the 10 deer/sm threshold further proving the argument.

But you are right, the tick tubes showed some effectiveness on juvenile stages of the ticks. Better start saving up your toilet paper rolls!

21-Jul-14
Q: How many cases of lyme disease are there in FC annually slyme?

A: Reported? Irrelevant.

THANK GOD!!!

If it is irrelevant, let's just stop talking about it.

THIS IS MY LAST POST ON ANY SLYME OR ODORIFEROUS HIGHJACKED THREADS.

21-Jul-14
I say again Odo/Lyme.. tick tubes.. >90% effective.. with no deer killed. However, I am aware, like many of our politicians, you don't let facts get in the way.

21-Jul-14
CROW I am with you .

21-Jul-14
This thread wasn't high jacked by Lyme, it was started by him. And I'm just correcting some bad math that suits an agenda.

21-Jul-14
Dr. Scott Williams; While we are on the subject of math can you please tell us why there is a difference in dpkm 2 ( 3.8 or 5.1) in the ( 2 ) Mumford Cove, CT tick study reports.

The Mumford Cove, CT tick study ended in 2008.........The 2011 written report ( Public Health Rep. 2011 May-Jun; 126(3): 446–454.) reported the deer population was - 3.8 dpkm 2.

In 2014 the written report changed ( Authors: Kilpatrick, Howard J.; Labonte, Andrew M.; Stafford, Kirby C. Source: Journal of Medical Entomology, Volume 51, Number 4, Pages 725-906, pp. 777-784(8) ) reported the deer population was 5.1 dpkm 2; so which is it 3.8 or 5.1 ?

Can you explain the 25% increase in deer population between the two test reports 2011 - 2014 after the study had already ended in 2008 ?

21-Jul-14
Airrow. Those are not Scott Williams studies, those are Howard Kilpatrick studies. I looked at the public health report. The discrepancies you are talking about are the difference in 10 vs 13 deer/sm. Clearly you don't buy the survey numbers yet you expect to be able to detect a difference of 3 deer/sm using the same techniques? It makes no sense. Numbers that insignificant are well within the margin or error for those surveys.

Despite this, I looked into it. The Public Health report cited Howard's Managing CT Urban Deer brochure in which he (Howard) states on page 3 "The deer population in Mumford Cove was reduced from about 77 deer per square mile to about 10 deer per square mile after 2 years of controlled hunting." Clearly the authors of the Public Health report merely did the conversion when stating the "approximately 3.8 deer/km2" as 10 deer/sm divided by 2.58999 km2/sm = 3.8 deer/km2. The Managing Urban Deer brochure was clearly for public consumption and generalities were used. The key words are "about" 10 deer/sm and "approximately" 3.8 deer/km2 as these are not meant to be exact numbers as you and many others challenge.

In his 2014 publication, you are right, Howard says there were 5.1 deer/km2. I'm not sure where those numbers were derived. Maybe he surveyed less of an area but saw the same number of deer. Regardless, we are still talking about "approximately 10 deer/square mile". We are in the same margin of error. 13 deer/sm is "about 10 deer/sm". Beyond this explanation, you'll have to communicate with Howard directly.

21-Jul-14
BHVA. You are right as far as tick reduction on mice using those tubes. Mice have an extremely small home range (0.25-0.5 acre) as compared to deer whose home range is on the order of several hundred acres. So on properties where tick tubes are used, you will likely see a reduction. By investigating the role deer play, you are seeing if their reduction will result in area-wide tick reduction, not just on the property where tick tubes are placed. Now if every resident in Fairfield County purchased and distributed 2 or 3 dozen of those tick tubes on their residential properties, that might work, but is just not practical. And still leaves large parcels of open space without tick tube treatment. Nobody has all the answers yet. That's why experiments are being done, to find the most effective combination of treatments. This study happens to have a deer component, on 2 square miles.

21-Jul-14
Odo

you admit that the tubes work, so why would you need them any other place then on the property where residents are concerned about the epidemic LD outbreak? If the people aren't going into the large tracts of land that don't have the tubes, then what does it matter? Wouldn't the tick problem be solved where the people are, and you can leave the deer alone for the hunters?

Sounds like there are other options then killing the deer that carry the adult tick.

21-Jul-14
BBB makes ALOT of sense with that. Take your prophesizing to the uneducated masses and learn them a thing or two about staying away from those tick critters. Nasty little devils.

22-Jul-14
BBB. It's experimental. Maybe reducing deer on an non-insular setting won't do anything to ticks. The answer is unknown. Maybe at the end if the study there will be no change and you guys can all go "See!!! I told you so!" Then you will have all the more ammo to keep deer numbers high in suburbia.

22-Jul-14
Odo,

everything being done is experimental, including reducing the deer numbers to see the impact on LD and tick population,.....no answers are known for any of these that I've heard on this site.

I don't hunt suburbia so I don't have a dog in the fight, however killing deer to cure LD goes against my common sense. I've said it before, it's killing all the people to avoid the common cold (by the way, I have a cold now so don't get any ideas).

22-Jul-14
Dr. Scott Williams ( Odocoileus ); You keep referring to this as " experimental " and the final answers are unknown. What we do know is that your experiment seems to have two sets of parameters and rules for which you operate under. The CT DEEP sets down the rules and you continually work by another set of rules that you feel are better suited to your experiment. You tell us that you are only working on two ( one ) square mile test areas in Redding, CT; ( deer removal only ) when in reality you have increased the test site on Pheasant Ridge Road by 20% + Easterly; now 1.2 + square miles and the test site on White Birch Road Westerly by 60% + which is now 1.6 + square mile. These original test sites were 2 ( one ) square mile areas are now 2.8 square miles, a 40% increase in size. Will all your experimental data and outcomes reflect the increase to these new test sites being much larger than originally stated ?

I believe that Big Buck Bob summed it up best when he said; " This is not about LD or ticks or deer its about someone using the system to benefit themselves. "

22-Jul-14
So this ODO dude is posting under an assumed name and is a PhD bureacrat working for the State?

• Sitka Gear