cervus 21-Jul-14
keepemsharp 22-Jul-14
Greg Kush 23-Jul-14
lineman21 23-Jul-14
lineman21 23-Jul-14
Greg Kush 24-Jul-14
trkytrack 30-Jul-14
21-Jul-14
I recently saw an article that said NR youth could hunt NB deer for $6.00. Is this true? If so I believe there will be a lot of NR adults taking "nieces" and "nephews" hunting in NB.

21-Jul-14

cervus's Link
Yes. See page 5 of big game guide. That is assuming you mean Nebraska (NE) and not New Brunswick (NB) :)

22-Jul-14
Sorry, meant NE. This seemed pretty liberal and could be abused by accompanying adults.

23-Jul-14
Keepemsharp,

Some of us here in Nebraska thought the same thing when they were first made available at $5 each a couple years back. My kids were just out of that age when they changed the price, so we didn't get to enjoy the discount. It is great for parents, yet I sometimes wonder if maybe even some residents, let alone non-residents, have abused the cheap youth tags since they have been in place.

I hope it hasn't been rampant, but I'm sure some deer have been taken in the past few years by a parent while actually being tagged with their child's cheap permit.

23-Jul-14

23-Jul-14
how any parent could look at child in the eye after they have the child tag a deer that wasn't theirs it's beyond me. I couldn't do it.

24-Jul-14
I would think they wouldn't even have to look them in the eyes in many cases. They could just buy a cheap permit for their non-hunting son or daughter and use that to check in the deer through the telecheck system (archery or muzzleloader season) so they have a seal number if they take the deer to the meat locker. The cheater would only buy one full price permit for the year and print several copies of it at purchase time so they would have a copy to punch in the field to cover their ass on the way home. After checking in the deer on the cheap permit, they would just grab a fresh copy of their permit for the next trip out and trash the one they had punched. They could do this several times if they have more than one youngster for which to buy the cheap permit. I think this is the type of abuse keepemsharp was alluding to in his first couple of posts and would be easy for the cheating type to pull off.

30-Jul-14
There's always a fox in the hen house...right. I wonder how many residents have abused the system in the same way? IMO...any so called parent that would purchase a youth license for their child, take them hunting and then shoot the deer themselves and tag it with the youth license instead of allowing the child to maybe harvest their fist deer, is a real piece of art let alone one piece of crap as a parent. No doubt that it probably occurs. But that's just my opinion. For the record, I use to live in Nebraska and my two boys were able to hunt their first deer on the $5.00 tag at Ft. Robinson. They never got their deer but they sure had a great time trying. I think that the cheep youth deer and turkey tags for kids was the best thing I ever saw come out of the Game&Parks.

• Sitka Gear