The Dark Knight 08-Sep-14
notme 09-Sep-14
Onthehunt 09-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 09-Sep-14
CTCrow 09-Sep-14
stickn' em hod 09-Sep-14
bigbuckbob 09-Sep-14
22-Jul-14
Well I went to Drs last week cause of pain in lower abdomen, thought it was just a muscle strain, and found out I have an inguinal hernia.

Of course this comes with season right around the corner. Having a tough time making a decision as to get surgery or wait.

Probes is if I wait dragging and lifting deer will be an major issue.

Seriously don't know what to decide.

22-Jul-14
Stick... I've had one in my groin now for 4 yrs just have t gotten around to getting it done myself sometimes lifting can be nightmare I kinda got used to the pain i guess jut don't I've due it get urself a game cart instead of trying to drag even if u have the surgery recovery times will very one guy I know was on his feet back to work sheet rocking in 2 weeks another guy I know Took 1 month so it does very in the recovery time I'll get around to the surgery myself but prob not till winter when work slows down good luck bud on what ever dicision u make

22-Jul-14
Go now and use xbow until you are good to go. Posponing it will only take you longer into the season and if it gets worst you'll be out for the entire season.

22-Jul-14
get it done now and let us know where you hunt and we'll watch your spot for you ;)

22-Jul-14
Don't worry BBB is a watcher. He won't shoot any ;-)

22-Jul-14
Stick,

This is a good time to sit down with your Doctor and review your options and the possible outcomes of all of them, good and bad.

If your Doctor doesn't feel the hernia is likely to worsen or doesn't feel there are any health risks associated with prolonging surgery then the question becomes one of what level of pain/discomfort can you tolerate if surgery would push your season out past a point you could feel good about it.

Ultimately if it was a friend of mine and he wasn't at an age where the end of bowhunting was closer than the beginning I'd advise him to think longterm, big picture and have the surgery now, be healed and enjoy the remainder of this season and hopefully many more in the years to come.

Good luck either way.

22-Jul-14
ABSOLUTELY LISTEN TO YOUR DR!!!. Im debating back surgery but he told me it is ok for me to wait until the end of the season. I think a hernia might be a little different though especially if you have to lift a deer. At least with my back situation I know what Im dealing with. A hernia can burst ay any time so be careful.

23-Jul-14
Get it done. I m having veins stripped out of my right leg on August 27th. Still plane on being in a tree on the 15th of Sept.

23-Jul-14
Get it done now. I had a double done. With the new techniques your up and moving the next day. You have six weeks for recovery. In theory once the surgery is done it is stronger then it was before your injury. Your just dealing with. Pain sucks for a while but there isn't even a significant rehabilitate plan other then being cautious with how much weight to lift. had mine years back. I remember trying to use ice to reduce the pain. A very tricky technique. But of course you quickly knew when you got it wrong ha ha. In truth its a relatively routine procedure. In my research before surgery I discovered a significant portion of men end up having a hernia. Interesting note. Many believe occurance is somewhat genetic and runs in families.

23-Jul-14
Thanks guys I'm leaning towards getting it done.

The pain has become increasingly worse the past couple days. I'm thinking it may have a lot to do with the 6.5 mile run I did Sunday morning. It's been tough knowing I have to shut down cause I've gotten myself in incredible shape but the pain is just becoming to tough to handle.

CJD my concern is lifting. I have a deer cart but you still have to drag deer onto cart and dragging just adds to the injury.

My worry is that I have a double. The pain I have has been with me on both sides for a couple yrs. I went to Drs about 5 yrs ago and they said it was arthritis. This pain is consistent on both sides so I can't wait to hear what surgeon says.

OntheHunt from what I've read the reason it's so common in men is because of how we develop during growth in the womb.

Out lower abdomen open a hole that is only big enough for the boys to drop through, while everything else is healing that hole stays open to give the spermatic cord time to drop so therefore it leave a weak spot in our lower abdomen making males more likely to get them than women.

23-Jul-14
Just get it done. You need help dragging? Someone here will volunteer to help you when the time comes. If you are in FFC, I'll help you drag and field dress on Saturday.

23-Jul-14
stick

if you hunt the NW corner I'd be glad to give you my cell number and you can call me as well. I need to remember what a dead deer looks like anyways!!

23-Jul-14
Ill drag for you if you're near Northern Ffld Cty if that helps.

Where do you hunt?

25-Jul-14
You guys are absolutely incredible.

I hunt in SE CT.

I have this bad feeling that I may have had a dbl hernia and that the original one I went in for years ago was seriously misdiagnosed. The pain I'm in at times is so enjoyable. Lol

I have to work so hard during the spring and summer because of my line of work that I have to disconnect from bowsite and many other things cause of lack of sleep and honestly free time. I get to start enjoying life again around this time of yr, connecting with fellow hunters and start looking forward to tree stand therapy. That time alone in the woods with the brotherhood of fellow hunters is something I cherish and to think I may miss part of season is a difficult blow mentally.

I was talking to my wife about dragging and lifting. After reading some posts I see that there are guys out there to call upon.

You guys have really made my morning.

I'm definitely going to have surgery.

21-Aug-14

stickn' em hod's embedded Photo
Surgery is done and complete.

Now for the road of recovery. Praying for a fast one so I can get scouting and hanging stands. Oh yeah and shooting the bow.

21-Aug-14

Surgery is done and complete.

Now for the road of recovery. Praying for a fast one so I can get scouting and hanging stands. Oh yeah and shooting the bow.

21-Aug-14
God luck. Wish you full and speedy recovery.

21-Aug-14
Crow your dragging mine how many can you drag ??? Only kidding shoulder is much better this year using my bow till the late season .Steve

21-Aug-14
Me too Steve and Crow. The broken clavicle in my right shoulder kept me out of the game last season. I've been practicing off the deck every night and am pleased with the results of my groups this year. I'm ready! Yes a speedy recovery Stick. That nasty thing looks like a Rage BH wound.

21-Aug-14
You guys worry about shooting them.

Yeah, it looks like a rage. Slicktrick would be a lot bigger and bloodier.

21-Aug-14
I don't know what that picture shows, but if you promise not to describe it to us, my offer to help track drag and load still stands.

Glad you got it done and are on the way to recovery.

21-Aug-14
Mike and Crow it hurts to laugh.

It sure looks like a rage sliced me that's for sure.

Ace I was told he would make a 2 inch incision. Well it's more like 4. Don't worry I tried not to show too much. Lol

21-Aug-14
Stick, I know how you feel. I had a bilateral hernia repair! My testicles were the size of softballs!! Take it easy, listen to your body and you should be fine! Best of luck!!

22-Aug-14
Stick, hope you have good recovery. Open repair is longer than laparoscopic.

25-Aug-14
Stick I've been through 4 of them over the years. The first couple of weeks are gonna be a pain. No pun intended, but I think you know what I'm talking about. Just keep in mind that you might want to ground blind a bit in the beginning, and save the trees for a little later in the season. Quick recovery

Pete

08-Sep-14
Got clearance today from Dr to shoot my bow just 3 weeks after surgery. Went downstairs and pulled out the Hoyt, drew back with no pain at all. Can't wait to be shooting at 630 a m.

The excitement of opening morning and 45 degree temps just hit me like a ton of bricks.

08-Sep-14
Awesome!

09-Sep-14
ease into it , you dont want to bust a nut first shot..lol

09-Sep-14
Nice. Your all set for season. Get a deer sled. Having been through a double myself your gonna be pulling something and everything is good then all of the sudden your gonna feel it.. I picked up a really cheap hard plastic sheet that is rolled up in my car. When I have a deer I throw it on the sled and tie it around my waste. Its no problem pulling a deer at all just about any distance. I don't even lift the deer into my truck bed. I have ramps and walk up the ramps with the sled attached. Excited for you. Got your spot picked out?

09-Sep-14
stick em

great news!! The rest of us are excited about the start of the season, and we're healthy, so you have 2 reasons to be excited now!

Good luck and go easy at first.

09-Sep-14
I'm glad it worked out. Had you put off the decision, you would've regret it about just about now.

09-Sep-14
Notme that's pretty funny. Speaking of which I asked the Doc when I could start shooting my bow. He points and says which bow that one. I lost it. He goes most guys are worried about when they can have sex again and they all have weird names for them.

Had to tell him right now now season is a priority. Lol

Onthehunt

I will be hunting wherever my partner has me set up. I fully trust him 100%. I'm not walking into the woods until opening morning. My afternoon spot is all set with stand already hung. I should have a morning spot by Thursday.

The hunting community is so full of a great group of guys that I have about 10 that said let me know where u are and I will drag cause it's not worth injuring yourself again. Guess I won't be dragging much this year.

09-Sep-14
me either, but then again I never drag! :)

• Sitka Gear