horsethief51 23-Jul-14
Rut Nut 23-Jul-14
bill v 23-Jul-14
Rut Nut 23-Jul-14
Dave G. 24-Jul-14
exsanguinator 24-Jul-14
Rut Nut 24-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
Tonight I decided to go out a bit later than usual due to the heat. Decided to kill 2 birds, so to speak and see if I could find some critters.

Parked at the edge of some public ground I have been hunting the last couple years and headed off on one of the un-improved (gravel) roads. After about 20 min, I went around a gate and started down a trail. After about a 1/2 mile, I saw 2 fairly large birds. It was getting dark and they spotted me and flew from tree to tree, staying about 40 ft. in front of me. They were owls, although I am not good with birds, so not sure what kind. Definitely owls though. They were totally silent. Very cool! :)

After 30 min, I turned around and headed back towards the parking area. On the way back, I ran across 3 groups of deer. First one was crossing the un-improved road, the second group were just inside the woodline where I have been hunting and the last group were across the road on private property, but when they saw me coming, crossed the road into the woods where I hunt.

Was pretty cool spotting all that wildlife, and I am sure it was because I was riding near dusk and on my bike was pretty silent coming thru the woods, especially on the trail. Think I will do more of this as you can really cover a lot of ground and it's a good way to scout.

23-Jul-14
A few summers ago we switched from going spotting after dark to riding the same roads for the half hour before sunset until we can't see. Think about when you see critters moving in the tree stand. Same thing. Not so sure its the kind of conveyence you are riding as it is that you are not on foot. Bikes sure are a lot quieter. I think its a better time of day and maybe the deer do not associate vehicles with having 3 million candle power of light hitting them in the eyes.

23-Jul-14
Yes Art- definitely quieter than walking. Those tires rolling on the dirt and grass makes alot less noise. Was very calm last night with virtually no breeze. Very easy to sneak up on critters.

Forgot to mention, saw about half a dozen bunnies, too. Gonna remember that for small game season.

Never did alot of riding the last 30 min or so of daylight, but never had a real good headlight for me or my bike. Now they make very in-expensive and good lights for bikes and headlamps, so I am "outfitted". So I will be doing alot more riding at last light. If I get caught after dark, will just go a little slower getting back to car to make sure I avoid those hard to see obstacles.

23-Jul-14
Yup Rut, those tires make less noise but, that little Ding-Ding bell you have on your handle bar scares all the wildlife for along way.

23-Jul-14
LOL Bill! :)

Looking at a website, I think I saw a pair of Great Horned owls last night.

24-Jul-14

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo
I and a couple of friends used to spend days and days in the summer riding our bicycles in the hills around town. The power lines, old logging roads, etc. provided really good access to some areas that would have taken a lot more time to hike into than it did riding.

But I have to admit that a lot of those areas were STEEP and after a summer of pedaling, our thighs started looking like Bo Jackson's. :^)

Granted, this was in the day WAY before mountain bikes, and multiple sprockets, etc.

Here's a pic of me & my bike back in the day. :^)

24-Jul-14
I have two DMAP tags on some state park land that I have never hunted and was wondering when I would ever get time to scout these areas. Thanks for the idea of a mountain bike ride to cover more ground.

24-Jul-14
LOL Dave! Things have come a looooooooooooooooong way since then! ;-) But seriously, that's the great thing about the newer mountain bikes. Most have 21-24 speeds and have that small chainring in the front that lets you pedal up some really steep stuff.(very low gears)

Have fun exsanguinator- just remember to take a headlamp or flashlight in case you have mechanical or other problems. Almost got caught a few times after dark this year, and was thankful I had my light/headlamp.

• Sitka Gear