John Ryan 26-Jul-14
toehead 27-Jul-14
John Ryan 28-Jul-14
toehead 28-Jul-14
MichaelArnette 23-Jun-15
Stinkbait1 24-Jun-15
MichaelArnette 24-Jun-15
25-Jul-14
I you haven't heard, the minimum draw weight for compound bows was reduced to 30 pounds.

The BCO members voted in February 2013 to propose the odWC eliminate or reduce the minimum draw weight requirements for bowhunting in Oklahoma.

Thanks to the ODWC for listening to logic and reason and the bow hunters of the state.

25-Jul-14
Clue me in on logic and reason as I must be living under a rock :)

25-Jul-14
Clue me in on logic and reason as I must be living under a rock :)

25-Jul-14
Joe Don, intent is to make it possible for more kids, women, and old men like you to be able to bow hunt with a coumpound. A modern 30 lb compound will send a hunting weight arrow between 210 to 230 fps. More than enough to do the job.

Note, the 40 lb requirement is still in effect for recurve, longbow, and selfbow

26-Jul-14
Two of my best friends will hang me for this, but I disagree with that.

At some point someone has to take a stand. How low do you go? Not everyone should be in the woods just because they want to. I have two grandkids ages 9 & 11. They probably could pull 30 but they don't have the skills needed yet. I know a guy that took his 4 year old son deer hunting. He held the rifle, a .270, aimed it for him, and let him pull the trigger. The muzzle blast and recoil took a toll on the kid. Not my business, but I don't agree with that either.

I seem to remember a guy throwing a fit about crossbows. Now we have them. Got to make it easier to get folks in the woods, lets lower the draw weights for compounds!

Sorry guys and girls, if you are not big enough and strong enough to pull that 40, you need to get stronger and or older. And when this old man can't pull 40 anymore, he will hang up the bow and go back to the 06. Or the muzzleloader.

Sign of the times, but getting more people in the woods is all that matters. Perhaps the pod is coming! Just enough draw weight to penetrate the skin and inject the chemicals.

Good LORD, I'm beginning to sound like a friend of mine that used to HATE crossbows! Better go take my meds before I stroke out.

26-Jul-14
Yes sir.

26-Jul-14
I figured it was more for the younger crowd and you Bob :) sometimes common sense is lacking when taking kids hunting.

26-Jul-14
Colorado's longbow/recurve requirement for elk is only 35#

Go figure.

26-Jul-14
And another thing. I know a guy that has been ragging on another, on another forum, stating that his longbow and arrows are too light for hunting. Got to have a heavyweight bow and heavy arrows or they will bounce off? I watched this myself several times on different threads. The guy is shooting a bow way heavier than me, with with heavier arrows. I have a pretty good confirmed kill record with photos to back it up. Compound and recurve.

And furthermore, I once shot a hog with a 65 pound compound, 450 grain arrow, and hit the scapula. Sounded like a .22 when it hit, and I got 1" penetration. I tracked the hog down, hit it behind the foreleg low, like you are supposed to and killed it. The arrow did NOT pass through. The broadhead was new, scalpel sharp, and a 3 blade. BTW, all shots were from 15 yards.

Yep, 30 pounds is plenty. Just bring a gun for backup. You might need it.

26-Jul-14
Its a cold hard fact that the poundage for bows was set at the beginning of bowseason in okla. BC (before compounds. While technology has changed drastically, the poundage rule has stayed as it was in the beginning when only sticks applied.

30 lb, or any arrow over 350 grains going over 170 fps will go through any deer if the shot is correct. Just as any arrow weighing over 499 grains going over 200 fps will not do crap if the large shoulder bone is hit, even out of a compound.

Old requirements sometimes need to be realistically looked at for change, if needed. This one probably did.

My old black widow (a-frame) was 53 lb at my draw and would shoot a scalding 160 fps. My das set at 42 lb will kick close to 175. Big difference. My das set at 48 lb will go over 200 fps. As fast as most compounds that were available in the early 70's. Big difference in compounds now with most going easily over 300 fps at 50-60 lbs.

Somethings should not change. Some things should

26-Jul-14
Yep, and you need to quit being so grouchy. And don't tell me to kiss your butt either, ain't gonna do it.

26-Jul-14
At least I can wiggle my ears so you would know which end to pucker at :)

26-Jul-14
See what I mean?

26-Jul-14
John I believe your concerns are unfounded as far as the age of kids hunting and the effectiveness of a 30 pound compound.

I very highly doubt that any 9-10 year old children are turned loose in the woods with a bow and arrow. Quite likely their parents are bowhunters can and will spend more dedicated time with them during the off season with the end goal of actually getting to bowhunting.

The efficiencies and technology of today's compound bows, pre-sharpened broadheads and precision arrows are far and above what they were 20 years ago. This makes a far better alternative than starting kids out on crossbows in my personal opinion because of the progression of improvement and the working towards a goal.

When I was on the Oklahoma Youth Hunting and Shooting Association youth bow hunt two years ago, we had a kid trying to draw a bow that was probably over 65 pounds. We got it turned down to a manageable weight for him and he proceeded to kill a young doe with it. That along with some of the broadhead choices etc. that the kids had made for this hunt ( their first hunt of any kind much less bow hunt) showed me the absolute dire need for more education and mentoring vs. relying in the "marketing" that is currently being passed as hunting on television. Since that hunt there is a requirement for the kids to take and pass an IBEP course to be able attend this hunt.

I was told that 17 people , mostly youngsters, attended and passed the last IBEP course in July. I personally would like to see something that requires youngsters 18 years and under to pass an IBEP course to be able to bowhunt. Because in my opinion, education and mentor ship and time practicing will kill more deer than an additional 10 pounds of draw weight.

26-Jul-14
Good points my son. I don 't really care anyway, I just like to mess with you and the grouchy old man.

27-Jul-14
8v)

I always welcome the wisdom of experience! Wish you would join the Bco and come to the banquets. I'd even let you set at my table for dinner.

28-Jul-14
Dustin nobody pays any attention to an old man. Especially the kids. They are much smarter. Besides I gripe too much. I'm almost as bad as bob. You coming to mc next Saturday? Picking up a new self bow. Pretty sharp.

28-Jul-14
Yes sir. Don't know if I'll be shooting or not but I'll be working a BCO Table or chair. If I so shoot it will be very early Saturday.

23-Jun-15

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
I agree with the change as it makes sense with the efficiency of modern equipment. A 30lb 2014 namebrand compound is lobbing an arrow with as much or more kinetic energy as my 60lb recurve. Things have changed a lot. Our job as hunters and game departments will be to find the balance between "hunter opportunity" and "hunting opportunity." When I was growing up I was attracted to bowhunting because it was a challenge that most people didn't want to take...it's not that way any more.

For instance: When Oklahoma legalized crossbows we increased "hunter opportunity" crossbows allowed young and old who could not or would not normally shoot a bow to enter archery season increasing hunter numbers and slightly increasing harvest ability. We have to understand that this comes at a cost of "hunting opportunity" Can you guys imagine how lengthy are both seasons would be if modern compounds and/or crossbows were not allowed? I'm not saying they shouldnt be legal, just making the point that increased efficiency through modernization of equipment limits hunting opportunity in the long run through greater hunter numbers and harvest rates.

A crossbow allowed Hannah to harvest this, her first buck at 15 yards at age 12. How precious! At the same time more and more modern equipment is reducing the number of days we can hunt, specifically in Western states where lengthy shots are the norm.

24-Jun-15
Michael,

Your points are valid and well thought. But, one thing I don't get is you say we have reduced days of bowhunting. Oklahoma's bow season is Oct. 1-Jan. 15. or 105 days. How many more days do we need? When I started bowhunting at the age of 9 in 1975 (yes, I could pull my 40lb Jennings compound and shoot it accurately at that age) the bow season started around Oct. 15th and ended the Sunday before rifle season. There was no muzzleloader season back then and the week before rifle was closed. If I remember correctly the limit was 1 buck deer for archery. Then a year or two later, it went to 1 deer of either sex. As time progressed and our deer population increased I have seen more and more days added to our hunting seasons and more deer added to the season bag limits to what we have today. I don't necessarily see where we are losing days as you imply.

You are absolutely correct in saying things have changed a lot. Equipment has come a long way from what it was in the 1970's when I started. So has our deer population. I remember way back when if we even saw a deer it was a successful hunt. It took me until the age to 23 to kill my 1st deer (muzzleloader) and age 28 to kill my first deer with a bow. I hunted with compounds until 1993 and never killed or even wounded a deer with it. I was so incredibly frustrated with bowhunting I almost quit. I practiced with my compound year around and was an excellent shot on targets at known ranges. But, for some reason (maybe buck fever) when I had a deer in range I would miss despite all the practice time. Instead of quitting, I started shooting one of my Dad's old recurves and fell in love with it. It was just so much simpler, no sights, no release, just me, the bow and arrow. Pick a spot and shoot. Very simple and very effective for me. I bought my 1st recurve in 1993 and got my 1st bowkilled deer the following year with it. I sold my compound and never looked back. So for me, getting away from modern equipment led to more success.

For the record, I could care less what equipment someone chooses to hunt with. Just learn to shoot it, shoot it well and have fun.

Respectfully,

Rob

24-Jun-15
My post may have come off as a put down on modern equipment, that's not what I meant to do. Many of my best friends and hunting buddies use it. I agree with you, I would not put anyone down for using any legal equipment. You are right, whitetail populations exploded in the 80's and 90's and have plateaued in the last ten years in most states. I think the pendulum may begin to swing the other way. Obviously eastern whitetail populations have proven very resilient and the quick close shots that tend to be the norm don't allow the compound bows range to be fully explored in many environments. But out west is a different story. Predators, Hostile environments, and long shot opportunities are cutting season dates back.

• Sitka Gear