Jeff in MN 13-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 14-Aug-14
happygolucky 14-Aug-14
happygolucky 14-Aug-14
Geitz 14-Aug-14
Browning3 14-Aug-14
Bloodtrail 14-Aug-14
26-Jul-14
I don't think that back tags are needed? They are a nuisance, they cost more for the state to print. The state prints your name and address and other personal information on them so anyone standing behind you could collect enough information to make a good run at identity theft.

Time to get rid of them is long overdue. I have never seen a single statistic regarding convicitons achieved only because the person was identified by a backtag and identification could not have been made in any other way. If they there that effective more states would use them and Wisconsin would require them for small game hunting.

Who wears their backtag on their pack? Who leaves it on their pack when they take the pack off while on stand? Guilty here. I pretty much always have a backpack with me when hunting. About the only time I don't is if I get out of the tree to relieve myself. When I get to the tree it stays right on the backpack facing out and high enough on the tree for anyone to see. Why would it make any practical sense to move it to my back where it is not visible to anyone and makes noise every time I move? If I am in a ground blind I take it off the pack and hook it up where it can be seen, not on my back. Heck, even when I am hunting in Minnesota it is likely to still be on my backpack. I cannot see a jury anywhere in Wisconsin convicting you for doing the right thing (leaving it on the pack where it can be seen)? Even if it is not according to every letter of the law it just makes sense. Any warden that cites you in that situation is a total jerk or has some sort of issue with you to start with.

What about hunting in the rain? Anyone using a backpack is going to leave it there, who is going to put holes in their rain gear just to hang that tag on while on stand? Mine will be on my pack or displayed in some other way.

Time to get rid of them is long overdue. I have never seen a single statistic regarding convicitons achieved only because the person was identified by a backtag and no identification could not have been made in any other way. Sure it happens once in a while, pictures of examples were even posted here in another thread a while back. If they are that effective more states would use them and Wisconsin would require them for small game hunting.

Why does Wisconsin think that deer hunters need to be treated like prison inmates wearing a number? Time for Wisconsin to treat deer hunters like any other recreationist.

26-Jul-14
Do other states require you to have your tag and license in your posession at all times when hunting? I would think there should be a big fine if you don't. I actually don't mind back tags. A lot of other serious issues right now like crossguns, wolves, no deer, etc.

26-Jul-14
I think all states require you to have your carcass tag (if applicable) and license in possession any time you are hunting.

Most states do not even issue a back tag.

26-Jul-14
Jeff you and Zinger can relax - we will see backtags go by the wayside! It will take some time, but they are on the way of other old traditions of hunting.

That being said there are many folks that dont mind them.

Attached to a backpack and hung in a tree and displayed so they are easily read - I think is a great idea. A backtag case would never get to a jury under those circumstances. Any prosecutors worth their salt would dismiss that in a flash.

If worn on your back and in the tree, nobody could possibly read them at all.

Identity theft Jeff? Really...Treated like prison inmates? Huh? I would appreciate the three free meals and some time off :^) - Hardly being treated "like" inmates.

Ever been an inmate Jeff? If you had been you realize how ridiculous that statement was. I dont know of a correctional facility in the State were inmates wear a number across their backs! Maybe back in the 50's!

Yes, ever year not only wardens, but sheriff's deputies and other LE officers make cases based upon back tags. So they do serve a purpose.

Just kinda sad that the good folks have to wear them because of the "not so" good folks that ruin it. But isn't that always the way it goes?

Yes, - they'll be gone someday. I can sit around and tell my Grand children another "we used to have too" story!

26-Jul-14
They can be a hassle. But, I've been wearing them since 1967. Just not that big of a deal. And, prison inmates and identity theft ? That's ridiculous.

26-Jul-14
Identity Theft? That is a far reach. Yeah people are going to go out and seek out hunters wearing backtags to steal their information to do identity theft. There are other ways to get information and things people do daily that allow thieves to get info. Is your mailbox locked so only you can get the mail? Probably not! Do you shred all your junk mail and cc applications you receive. Most do not. Do you order over the internet? How secure are sites these days. Yup wearing a backtag is inviting all those identity thieves!

26-Jul-14
I think what Jeff is trying to say is the more information one can gather on you the better odds for some sort of a possible Identity Theft.

26-Jul-14
Hell NWO, I can hardly read the dang things!! :^)

26-Jul-14
I've never had an issue with wearing them but it sure is nice not having to wear one when I hunt other states. It is time for WI to say bye bye to them. Aren't we the last state with them?

26-Jul-14
I don't really have a problem with them, but mine always stay attached to my pack. The biggest problem I have with them is making sure my kids don't lose theirs.

26-Jul-14
How much will it cost taxpayers to eliminate them? Is it really such a bad deal that we are willing to waste time and money on it?

26-Jul-14
I am happy to report that I have never been inside any prison to know that the shirts do not have numbers. Ya, I guess I must have seen prison id numbers on the three stooges prison uniforms back in the 60's. Plus I was using a little artistic effect to make my point. I was in the courtroom last week when a state prisoner from the Madison area was there and it was just a plain orange one with no numbers.

Ya there are lots of ways people can get your identity but having your dnr number, dob, etc could get them into your online DNR profile, license and hunting application sections. Heck, I think at one time your SSN was on the backtag too. Might still be, I don't have one available to look at right now.

26-Jul-14
RutNut, By saying you keep yours on your pack I assume you don't have any problem because you just ignore the law when you take your pack off?

BT, I believe it would never get to a jury either. But to see that it doesn't get to a jury you're going to have to take some time off work and talk to the DA because if you do like 99% of the people and just pay it a judge and jury never see it.

I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason why deer and bear hunters seem to have an assumed guilt in that they need to wear a tag identifying themselves but small game, duck, raccoon, etc. hunters don't. If it's such a good reason then why not have every hunter wear one? And if that's such a good idea make fishermen wear them also. SInce I'm on a roll why not just make every citizen wear one? Think of the crimes that could be solved if everyone had to prominantly wear an ID tag on their back?

26-Jul-14
"RutNut, By saying you keep yours on your pack I assume you don't have any problem because you just ignore the law when you take your pack off?"

Actually I have asked wardens in every county I hunt in about this. They have all said they have no problem with it. This is a warden discretion thing, so I have no legal problem with it either. This way actually makes more sense, as my tag is displayed outwardly on my pack as it hangs on a hook in the tree.

26-Jul-14
So if I carry my King of the Mountain jacket in to my stand about a mile or so and because of sweat that jacket isn't on my body but slung over my shoulder am I a violator?

26-Jul-14
If we are going to get really picky about them, how many people are wearing their safety harness over their back tag? That technically would be a violation. Surely the DNR would not push back tags over safety?

26-Jul-14
Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope!

Sorry - just had to say it!

Zinger - as my old friend Ruger1022 used to say "taking it to a new level" - Really? It's a backtag for pete's sake! Been around since...forever!

My Dad wore one, my Grandpa wore one, I wear one and so does my son! Kind of a tradition! :^)

Again - you will live to see the day they will be gone! It will not be that long.

This is all common sense here guys. Pasq - when the warden shows up and you have gobbs of sweat pouring down your face - I think you're golden!

Rut - The saftey harness over the tag - another golden moment! Do the best you can without falling out of the tree and killing yourself!

Wardens and LE officers all pretty much hunt themselves. The vast majority know when it's a saftey issue, honest mistake or some BS someone is trying to get away with.

Just be ready to explain your actions - make sure your intentions are good.

Jeff - so good to hear you have never seen the inside of a jailhouse! LOL :^)

26-Jul-14
Still no one has answered why it's only a good thing for deer and bear hunters to have to wear one?

27-Jul-14
Not only your harness can cover it up, but what about carrying a climbing stand? I've done that many times myself. I have also left mine on another jacket and gone without it. I figure I'm still legal because I have my license and carcus tag(s). I've never had a game warden look at my back tag at the vehicle. They want to see the license. Has anyone ever been ticketed not warring their back tag, and if so, what was the fine?

27-Jul-14
I have said for years I feel you don't need a back tag on if it is before or after hunting hours and you are walking to or from your stand. ie, you have a back pack over the tag. Your not hunting its after hours ! you can't hunt,, you would be in violation. If you want to go out and target shoot clay or what ever, you don't need one your not hunting When your driving to your place to hunt you don't need a back tag on. Should be the same way before and after hours walking to or from your location.

I am not saying this is correct but that is what I feel. If you can't hunt no need for the back tag.

27-Jul-14
I asked a warden once if wearing a back tag was required when you are recovering your deer. He told me it is not required. I think that was the correct answer, but it may be surprising to some.

27-Jul-14
a pack, hood, safety belt and stand all cover them and they are always getting hung up or making noise. would be happy to see them go

27-Jul-14
I agree with Jeff. They print your number on the tag which means someone could get another tag using your name if they try. When was the last time the person selling you your tag asked for a photo ID to make sure it was you? Does not happen where I am from. I have lost them before and that makes for a hassle too. I know several people who don't where them when hunting their own properties. Illegal for now but I do believe the requirement will eventually go by the wayside given time. Just not soon enough.

27-Jul-14
dbl lung -

So if your worried about identity theft - dont wear your backtag in public. Problem solved!

Price County Hunter - Your right, it is surprising to some, me! Are you sure the deer is dead? Because when I am tracking a deer, I am hunting! I think you may slide on a deer that is down and life less and drops within sight of your stand, but again as you approach, it may get a second wind and another arrow may be called for?

I'm not sold on the not wearing your tag when retrieving your deer and I think folks may be headed for trouble. It's hard to believe attempting to retrieve game is not an act of hunting.

Arrow1 - I think you are correct.

Knife2sharp - No one, I mean no one on here will admit to being cited for no backtag. It's a conservation violation and punishable by a public tar and feathering! Can't blame them for not stepping up to the plate if they have had the misfourtion!

28-Jul-14
"I have never seen a single statistic regarding convicitons achieved only because the person was identified by a backtag and identification could not have been made in any other way" Wrong Jeff -- got trespassers by the back-tag and wouldn't have any other way. // I don't care one way or the other but I really don't like them & if we should lose them like other states I hunt so much the better.

28-Jul-14
"When was the last time the person selling you your tag asked for a photo ID to make sure it was you? Does not happen where I am from" AT our Fleet Farm they ask for an old license to scan to bring up your DNR information or they ask for a driver's license (not just the number but the physical license) so they can input your license number in the system to bring up your DNR information. If you have neither then they ask for your SS number. At no time do they just input your name or driver's license number based on you telling them that number.

28-Jul-14
"Price County Hunter - Your right, it is surprising to some, me! Are you sure the deer is dead? Because when I am tracking a deer, I am hunting! I think you may slide on a deer that is down and life less and drops within sight of your stand, but again as you approach, it may get a second wind and another arrow may be called for?"

If you have your bow with you while recovering your game, then, yes, I would agree you need to have your backtag on. The situation where the tag is not required is something like this: While hunting and wearing your backtag, you shot your deer and you tracked it down and found it dead. Then, you go back to your cabin or truck and take off your backtag and camo, leave your bow there, and collect your field dressing and dragging stuff and then go and recover your deer without wearing your tag. You need to take your backtag with you during recovery because you will need to tag the deer, but you don't have to wear it. That is legal. At least, that is what the warden told me.

28-Jul-14
Actually, you are supposed to tag your deer when you first find it, but again, if you do that and then come back later to collect the deer, you don't need to be wearing your backtag. Another situation is where you shoot your deer, and you pretty much know you got a good hit and choose to go to the cabin and change clothes before tracking it down. As long as you don't have your bow with you when you come back to find, tag, and field dress the deer, you don't need to be wearing your back tag.

28-Jul-14
Squid, I said I had never seen any statistics on identifying bad buys by tags, not that it has never happened.

Pretty sure that while tracking everyone helping to find/track a deer or bear must have a license and wear their backtag. Once the carcass tag is attached I think those requirements go away. I don't think it matters if you have a weapon with you or not.

So, who here has needed help tracking a deer or bear they shot? Did you have trouble finding someone with a license to help and just get whomever was available thus coaxing them into what neither one you thought was illegal? I have. It is really hard to find someone with a bear license when you are hunting alone.

28-Jul-14
Here's another one. You do not need a Class B bear license while sitting & filming another bear hunter as long as you don't assist in handling the bait, scent etc while you are out there. If a bear is shot you cannot go help track but once the bear is found dead the hunt is officially over, it at that point you can help gut, drag etc.

28-Jul-14
Here's another one. The archery backtag is for bowhunting for deer. It does not need to be worn when bowhunting for other game such as squirrels or coyotes. I have no idea how the wardens are supposed to know what game you are hunting and I don't want to find out.

28-Jul-14
Back tags will be championed by law enforcement as an aide to them but back tags are archaic and are certainly not used equally for all hunters of all game. It is time for them to go as their use, as mandated by law, provides many ways to get law abiding hunters in trouble with over-zealous wardens. As has been exhibited by WI wardens in many instances, unintentional breeches of the law certainly do not preclude anyone from a ticket based on the wardens discretion.

28-Jul-14
visited the local County forester one day had questions for him, asked if I could cut logs (dead downed tree) for my bear bait stations without getting a possible citation, he said lets get you a wood cutting permit so you can do that.

28-Jul-14
Would someone answer my question? I've yet to have anyone give me a good reason why deer and bear hunters seem to have an assumed guilt in that they need to wear a tag identifying themselves but small game, duck, raccoon, etc. hunters don't. If it's such a good reason then why not have every hunter wear one? And if that's such a good idea make fishermen wear them also. SInce I'm on a roll why not just make every citizen wear one? Think of the crimes that could be solved if everyone had to prominantly wear an ID tag on their back?

28-Jul-14
Zinger-

Currently your back tag is your license, only valid after you sign it. You only need to wear it when participating in hunting activities.

That's the rule and it is in the works to be changed.

Do I agree with it? No. But I can live with it and will have to come up with another way of catching trespassers when I am not on the property.

28-Jul-14
I love the tag/ID idea for being out in public. If you don't wear a visible tag you could get checked for being an illegal alien. Which brings up another point. Do they think its just deer and bear hunters that trespass? Seriously, how easy is it to read a back tag from a distance while a hunter is walking, even with binos?

28-Jul-14
Mike, how do you catch people trespassing who are small game hunting or picking mushrooms?

28-Jul-14
I actually pay extra for my backtag,reserved no. Kinda special

28-Jul-14
Redclub Just think if the do away with the BT you will never have to reserve it again and you can still wear it. No matter what the year. (:

28-Jul-14
I'm with you Redclub. Kind of cool actually. Some traditions should "just" stay. It's just not that big a deal, and getting rid of it will not save any significant amount of money, or reduce license fee's...just something that's easy to bitch about.

28-Jul-14
Zinger-

Never had a problem with any small game hunters, berry, or mushroom pickers. They have called and asked for permission. At least the ones I know of.

The waterfowlers and a guy on his dirt bike were caught with when I got a picture of their license plates.

2 years ago I had an intelligent trespasser that had his backtag on upside down. Very interesting to say the least!

If it wasn't for vandals, I wouldn't run as many cameras as I do.

I believe that only once I have caught a person trespassing. The neighbors and I always talk and know who is going to be in the woods and if they hit a deer and it crosses the line the phone rings and we work together to recover the animal. They even call when I am not around. I am lucky, I have good neighbors.

29-Jul-14
Definitely all about trespassing and too see who has a license and who doesnt. That's the simple answer.

Surprised how many are OK with it and actually I am as well I guess.

Stopping short on Big game hunters, deer/bear is fine we dont need to spend anymore money - law enforcement likes it - good enough for me!

29-Jul-14
I know the back tags were used before the electronic system was set up, but now that it is, why not just have it print your DNR number instead of a random number? It's the same number of digits. It seems redundant for whoever is looking up the number to cross reference the license to the individual. Look up the individual and see what licnenses they have.

29-Jul-14
Keep 'um, gives folks something to gripe about!!!!!!!!!

31-Jul-14
I dont mind them one bit. Pin it to your pack

31-Jul-14
No practical use for them. Get rid of them and the incidental problems they create by virtue of loss in the field.

31-Jul-14
I like the way they facilitate identifying trespassers, although this seems to go against individual freedoms. As a hunter, I would prefer not to have to wear it. My net position: Get rid of them.

01-Aug-14
CaptMike - I walk onto your property wearing my backtag and steal your treestand and you spot me and my number - there may be a pratical use - ya think?

01-Aug-14
If the person is walking into your property to steal your stand how do you know he didn't steal the back tag also. With all the hoodies being worn you need more then just the tag # to convict. You need to positively I.D. the person. The back tag doesn't give you that.

01-Aug-14
Oh so correct Arrow - but the tag is such a great place to start -

I'd rather go with that tag information than "I got no idea who came onto my property and stole my stand" as an investigating officer.

As far as individual "freedoms" go Price County hunter - you have the individual "freedom" not to wear one. Of course, than you also would not be allowed to exercise your individual "freedom" to hunt.

We just finished hosting an exchange student from Russia.

His father is a small game hunter in Russia. Talkl about "freedoms" and hunting.

You would not believe the background check and "permits" and money involved for those permits that his Father spends on the "freedom" to hunt small game alone. Our student explained that very few people in Russia legally own firearms because the cost to the government is so great and there is much, much paperwork involved.

I'll wear the backtag!

01-Aug-14
The rules don't say trespassers and thieves need to wear back tags, only deer and bear hunters. Do deer and bear hunters that trespass wear their back tag so if they get caught they won't get charged with two offenses? Seems kind of silly, "hey officer, give me a break, I was wearing my back tag," at least I'm partially honest.

Kind of like the poacher who only shoots deer at night during the deer season with a hunting license in his pocket. Hey, ca't be ticketed for hunting without a license.

01-Aug-14
Aren't we the last state requiring those things? It really is time to say bye bye to them.

01-Aug-14
Still no one answered why only deer and bear hunters need to wear them. BT what if a small game hunter steals your stand? What if it's just your neighbor who's and anti-hunter steals your stand because he doesn't want you hunting?

01-Aug-14
And...wait for it Zinger..."what if" someone wearing a backtag does it! They go to jail and you get your tree stand ba ck or restitution! And if it was your anti-hunting neighbor hopefully you have a trail cam pic of him walking home with your stand. If not - your out a stand!

Here's your "asked and answered" answer Zinger! Ready?

First - How many gun/archery hunters are in the State? How many bear hunters and Hound guys in the State? Any idea? A really big bunch of folks!

Answer: So it's a trespassing thing first and foremost Zinger - with all those people in the woods the "powers to be", thought it would be a great idea to have those folks wear a back tag!

Secondly it aids in enforcement actions for CO's.

Not my law, didn't invent the law - but now you have it Zinger!

That is the reason! You may not like it, I may not like it, but that's the law! Some folks dont like to wear a seat belt in a car - that's sad, but it is the law. O.K.?

02-Aug-14
I lived in 7 states. The other 6 did not have backtags. In fact the other 6 did not have registration stations. You called in or filled out your survey that came with your lic, .

The DNR dors not trust a single hunter in this state.

03-Aug-14
Ruger - It has nothing to do with/about trust at all!

03-Aug-14
We don't need them for bear hunting. The only one that has a back tag bear hunting is the person with a kill tag. For what ever reason I kind of like them and have everyone of them since day one that I started hunting. Each one has a memory attached to it.

03-Aug-14
Remember when we had to use half of backtag to put on deer. I guess if I had to wear a tag for the last 60 years it isn't so bad. I would miss them and my no. My number cost an extra $5 plus a Patrons license which I only use a small portion, so its about $100.

04-Aug-14
BT, that didn't answer anything. Why is it only deer and bear hunters need to wear them? Yes I realize that there are a lot more of them in the woods at onetime but there are probably more small game hunters total spread throughout a much longer season that could trespass or steal stuff.

I know it's not your law but you sure seem to be defending it. I don't care if it aids LE. If LE was allowed to just enter ones house in search of drugs or other illegal stuff that would aid LE also.

04-Aug-14
I'm not sure if people have just lost their reasoning skills or just simply hate change?

How many guys trespassing or stealing from private land where a tag anyway? Don't they typically enter and exit in darkness, sort of in stealth mode?

If the backtag helped aid in trespassing, I guess that is a good reason. Maybe a compromise could be the tag needs to be on your back when entering and exiting, or while traveling to your next location? When in your stand, it just needs to be displayed so it can actually be seen. However, that is not on your back. If you were to hang it on your day pack, it stands a better chance to be seen, hanging on that pack instead.

I often wonder why people are so hesitant to get rid of rules that don't make much sense? Is it tradition? Is it something deeper than that? I see arguments for and against some of these debates (bait, crossbows, back tags, wolves, online registration, shooting does, etc.) And too often people just "say" what they feel, instead of backing their argument with some sort of credible science? Most of the time people insinuate the slob side of things, assuming someone has an advantage over them. I'm here to tell you, many people have advantages. The human species is programmed to want more. Many of us prove this in these silly arguments. When you argue how someone might have an advantage, you are basically stating you are the same person by trying to take that advantage away. Instead, think how this advantage also applies to you. Do you really think we should wear a back tag? Maybe it is such a good idea, that everyone should have a bar code and likewise a barcode reader? The advantages are incredible. Scan them digitally, and you know who they are, and what they've done.

I would never think the hunting population would embrace socialism, but it seems the majority of the posters on this particular forum are asking for it?

Remember the online registration topic? Poachers are not using any type of registration system as it stands, yet the majority somehow saw them getting an advantage out of it? Not one person could convince me how that was so....you know why? No science backing your reason why.

04-Aug-14
Zinger-

Here is your answer. Today backtags are your license for deer and bear hunting. Plain and simple.

Yes, I like them for catching trespassers. As to them sneaking in under the cover of darkness, no, they march right in and drive the property when I am at work. Never had an issue with trespassers during the archery season, only gun season.

I don't care either way, keep them or do something different. We'll never get rid of trespassers.

04-Aug-14
2015 they will be gone.............................

04-Aug-14
Mike, that same current back tag that is your license on your back, could be the same fishing license in your wallet. Zinger is asking why not have that same fisherman wear a back tag? Many trout fisherman trespass around riparian, or march right across property to get to those creeks.

Those same guys marching on your land and driving on it, are they wearing back tags? Are their vehicles carrying license plates or ATV registration stickers?

You nailed it Mike. Back tags only apply to honest people. By making everyone wear it, you don't solve much. People will still be so brazen to trespass with or without your knowledge, and with or without a back tag.....unfortunate as that may be.

I've had plenty of theft off private property over the years. Not from fellow sportsmen, but instead THIEVES!

04-Aug-14

04-Aug-14
Pete-

Yes no matter what we do with backtags we will still have thieves. If the lawmakers want to do away with them I am fine.

Yes, honest people wear them as required, but they will be gone as those who wish want to see. I am betting that trespassing and other violations will rise with the inability to identify them form a distance.

No matter how hard we try we will still have to deal with people who don't care about others private property.

04-Aug-14
Zinger - Really?

Your question has been answered over and over and apparently it's not the answer you're "looking for!"

Deer hunters, gun/bow, bear hunters baiters/hounders represent a huge slice of the hunting community. Many will argue they represent the biggest slice of the pie - that's why it was decided to have those folks wear backtags, which now serve a double purpose - it's you're license.

Thanks Mike for the imput as our tags do serve as our license - that's a good point and one I over looked.

Zinger you may not care if LE likes them, but then again your not a LE Officer and have never investigated a trespass or theft complaint or a deer being poached...have you? So understandably you dont really have a clue. But that I understand.

Mike - you're right... we will never get rid of trespassers just like we will never get rid of people that shoot deer after dark, hunt out of season or any nuumber of criminal acts.

So they serve there purpose - they will be gone - so take a breath!

It appears now we will all be carrying credit card like licenses in the future - I'll wait for that battle with you Zinger - because as sure as I am sitting here, you'll find fault with that program as well.

Exhausting!

04-Aug-14
No you still didn't answer it, because there isn't a logical answer for why only deer hunters have to wear one. I bet as a % trout anglers trespass more than deer hunters due to walking around objects in the streams but they don't have to wear one. Bear hunters are a very small % of the hunters out there. Have you ever investigated a theft, trespass or poaching complaint that hasn't involved a deer hunter? How could you ever get a conviction without them wearing a tag on their back?

"it's your license" is a very weak argument. Your liscense could be made part of your registration tag or one of the other 5' of stuff they print out when you buy one.

I know they will be gone and it's about time!

04-Aug-14
Good for you Zinger - now you can rest easy!

05-Aug-14
Keep the tag! Never has one cost me a deer but, Luminocs have cost me two trophy deer.

05-Aug-14
Zinger-

Well, there you have it. Government and logical just doesn't mix.

Yes, I have caught trespassers without backtags, tearing up my food plots on dirt bikes.

Yes, today your backtag is your license. This year we still have to wear a backtag to be legal.

Yes it could be made a smaller portion of the stuff they print out. You make very valid points.

Makes no difference to me. What ever they decide I can live with. Actually it will be a lot easier seeing as I buy a patrons license and won't have to hunt for my backtag every fall!

I can see it now- For sale antique backtag holders at all the junk sales!LOL

05-Aug-14
Good news for all you people that like backtags. When they are gone you can still use that holder to put your hunting license, patron license, or trespassing permit in and wear it on your back. Heck, you could even show your support for them by wearing them now with a printed notice that you support their use. Better yet print your SSN on it and wear that on your back. ;-)

05-Aug-14
"Keep the tag! Never has one cost me a deer but, Luminocs have cost me two trophy deer. "

Now you peeked my interest..how have luminocs cost you two trophy deer...

05-Aug-14
"Now you peeked my interest..how have luminocs cost you two trophy deer..."

I was wondering the same thing? Although I've never used them, if properly tuned, the extra rear weight on the arrow should have been worked out through tweeking and tuning long before those shafts hit the woods? Now buck fever, or not bending at the waste or target panic are things that are more explainable lol.

Just friendly ribbing 10+! ;-)

05-Aug-14
"I can see it now- For sale antique backtag holders at all the junk sales!LOL "

Available in both blaze orange and camo. Not having to wear license plates sure is a nice feature when hunting in other states.

05-Aug-14
Bucks, twice they have lit up on the draw and anchor catching the eye of the buck. I've had them fall off the string, and I do believe I had a deer jump the shot as a result of the lighted nock. Just my experience. They are long gone! Have not had a problem since.

05-Aug-14
Pete, no harm. i can take it. Probably deserve a little too.

05-Aug-14
"CaptMike - I walk onto your property wearing my backtag and steal your treestand and you spot me and my number - there may be a pratical use - ya think?"

No, I don't see the value as compared to the downside. Frankly, if I see you on my property making away with my tree-stand, you will still be there when the sheriff arrives.

05-Aug-14
10, do you really think a deer can see a nock at the bak of the arrow when it's sailing through the air? Try the Tracer nock as it lights up by passing over a magnet so it can't light up when you draw the bow and you don't have to play with the nock to turn it off.

05-Aug-14
Zinger, I really don't know, could swear to God that buck caught the light! Maybe I am completely full of crap but, their peripheral is much greater than ours and he was quartering away. I will look at the tracer nock. Don't get me wrong I have had success with lighted nocks but, I am a 3 strikes and out person when it comes to hunting equipment. Early on, I blew many opportunities succumbing to buck fever. The last 10 years, let's just say I have improved with experience and age.

05-Aug-14
I 'll bet the hunters that want to keep the backtags were the same ones that screamed when the DNR said we need to kill a bunch of does. :-)

05-Aug-14
I 'll bet the hunters that want to keep the backtags were the same ones that screamed when the DNR said we need to kill a bunch of does. :-)

05-Aug-14
Ruger, spot on! I am one. Besides I like seeing the number I drew. I'm feeling pretty good right now with 3 tens and ace high. Not that I am superstitious.

06-Aug-14
Back when I first started hunting deer up north a LONG time ago the people in our hunting party would add up the digits on their tag and that would be the number of deer you had to see before seeing a buck that you would shoot. Good part was that even if the tag was all 9's you still had a very good chance of seeing enough deer to get a chance at your buck. Now days even if your tag was all 1's the odds might still be against you for seeing enough deer up north.

06-Aug-14
CaptMike -

You may very well be the one that "makes sure" I'm still there when the Sheriff comes. Good for you Mike!

Although you sound most confident, as most that attempt such activities not everyone is foolish enough to confront and attempt the apprehension of a criminal - Thankfully most folks play it smart. Thus the advantage of a backtag number!

06-Aug-14
I will not argue the fact that it may help, I simply do not feel the advantages outweigh the negatives.

06-Aug-14

Zinger's embedded Photo
Zinger's embedded Photo
Not that it's relevant to this thread but since "backtag poker" came up this is a tag I have that was my fathers, I bet he won quite a few drinks with this one!

06-Aug-14
CaptMike -

And that's what makes America great!! We agree to disagree! :^)

06-Aug-14
Zinger, awesome number, did he shoot a whopper that year? Aside from luck I am guessing you would have to own a license sales outlet to get dibs on a number like that one.

06-Aug-14
Jeff, I don't know what he shot that year, I was only 6 and he's been gone for 4 years as of two days ago now :( He was a cop and good friends with the guy who owned the local sporting goods store so I'm guessing he didn't get the number by chance.

06-Aug-14
True Jeff and great tag Zinger.

07-Aug-14
And with today's computer generated numbers you would have to hire a Russian hacker to be issued a number like that. Have you changed your passwords today?

08-Aug-14
I don't really care one way or another on the back tag issue. But what I have seen over the years is that violaters rarely are wearing theirs. So if only us honest guys are going to where them, do they have much effect for law enforcement?

08-Aug-14
I used to wear mine upside down. Nothing in the law requiring it to be upright. When the kill tag was part of it I folded that over so you couldn't see it. Law said it had to remain attached but did not say it had to be visible. Just my little meaningless ways to show my protest. Now that I wear it on my backpack I figure that is stretching the law far enough.

08-Aug-14
Most of the trespassers we have encountered have their back tags on. But most of those are during gun season, and a lot of those guys just don't care whether they get caught. Which brings up another point, habitual trespassers should lose their hunt/fishing/trapping privileges. The fines just don't deter some of these guys.

08-Aug-14
Rut -

Trespass is NOT a conservation violation - hard to suspend someone's recreational privileges - but I guess a Judge can do pretty much what he/she wants - but dont hold your breath!

Trespassing in WI is RARELY handled as a criminal offense! Usually a civil forfiture fine and time to pay!

And yes, jtek - if they are not wearing them - it has a great effect for LE - they receive a citation for not wearing one as required by law!

08-Aug-14
Bloodtrail - Don't guys lose hunting and fishing privileges for failure to pay child support? That's not a conservation violation.

08-Aug-14
BT, I was mainly talking about habitual trespassers that were in the act of hunting/fishing etc.. But I know it would probably be a pain to sort out and enforce.

08-Aug-14
I have never seen a dead beat lose hunting/fishing privileges for failure to pay support. I've seen them go to jail - I even flew out to Arizona and picked up a guy for support.

I have however seen several truancy cases were the Judge had suspended hunting/fishing for not attending school - if that helps!

08-Aug-14
Interesting that the DNR in all the states I hunt require your SSN, supposedly to catch people that do not pay child support.

08-Aug-14
I'm just saying that I don't think it would be that hard to drop serial trespassers into the same database that flags parental deadbeats. And a precedent exists for non conservation violations to trigger a loss of privileges.

09-Aug-14
There are bigger issues on this earth we should worry about. "Should loose hunt/fishing/trapping privilege's" Even drunk drivers eventually get there drivers license back. I am a victim of a drunk driver, 11 days in the hospital, few months in a wheelchair, almost lost my leg,lost my job. You know what he got, 40hrs community service and AA classes.

Mother in-law while crossing a cross walk with the grand kids was hit and killed, she managed to push the kids away just before she was hit, kids have that haunting memory burned in there minds forever. While reading the police report, it stated there was a smell of alcohol on his breath but was not legally impaired, the hardest part of that report was when I read, the driver stated that "sometimes my brakes work and sometimes they don't" His punishment 40hrs community service. So when I read threads like this and others and some of the punishments one wishes should be handed down I just shake my head in disbelief. Although there should be concerns within these threads.

09-Aug-14
As a landowner I have caught several trespassers (in person, trail cam pics, vehicle license plates, etc.) Most were wearing backtags (assuming they were hunting something that required wearing a backtag) but the actual backtag number did not help in any of these cases (usually it wasn't clearly visible whether through binoculars or on cam pics. That said, I have always been an advocate to get rid of backtags as it's about time Wisconsin joins almost every other state in this regard.

09-Aug-14
Orion and who would track all those serial trespassers? Nice idea in theory - but impractical as most Counties (at least the ones I have worked for) cannot even afford to "pay" attention! :^)

In fact, I dont even know if I have met a serial trespasser over the years - seems the vast majority are from the "one and done" club.

I have posted before on this site, that trespassing in our County is a minor problem at best. Years ago, during gun season we had a "trespass patrol" which was a 2 man car that did nothing but investigate complaints of trespass.

When I get back to work I'm going to check with our Child Support Agency and see if they have ever had a suspension of hunting/fishing privleges. That would be interesting!

In fact you hardly see anyone post their land these days. Years ago you'd see an ocean of orange and yellow signs...not any longer.

I believe our fine is 262.00 for trespass now. I guess most folks got tired of paying!

Dont get me wrong, I'm not an idiot - of course we have issues of trespassing but what I am saying is those complaints have gone way down.

NWO is correct. There are bigger fish to fry! Not that trespassing is not an important issue, it is, but in the BIG picture....not so much!

09-Aug-14
I live and own some very good hunting property in Waupaca Co. In 27 years I seen 1 trespasser and He was taking pictures of sunflowers and some kids were hot rodding in one of our fields one night. When a person is tracking a deer they will ask and of course permission is always granted. All land in the area is private.

09-Aug-14
Guys. I'm not equating trespassers with anything more serious. Of course it doesn't compare to more serious crimes, especially those with grievous injuries. There are undoubtedly bigger fish to fry.

All that I'm saying is that someone who repeatedly trespasses and gets caught could lose their hunting and fishing privileges for a year or two as a deterrent. Loading someone's name in the same DNR data base that rejects deadbeat parents certainly wouldn't be onerous and would require no tracking.

NWO - I'm sorry that you and your family have gone through that. I am not advocating for capital punishment for minor offenses. I would merely like to see some justice. I would opine that if things were as you stated about those drivers, inadequate justice was meted out.

09-Aug-14
We are the last state to have the stupid back tags. All they add is extra expense and bring such little in return. Time to get with the times WI and get rid of them. I have still yet to see one decent reason why WI should keep them.

09-Aug-14
Happy - You may be singing a different tune if a back tag was usefull in a case that effected you or your family!

There is actually no data available that would "track" how many times backtags are usefully to law enforcement - it varies from County to County.

All this huffing and puffing - they'll be gone soon and we then can find something different to complain about!

10-Aug-14
"You may be singing a different tune if a back tag was usefull in a case that effected you or your family! "

HUGE Ifs there. The positives are so minimal they are not even measured, something you admitted to. Far more negatives including costs to the DNR and hunters. There is a reason NO OTHER state has them. As stated, I still have yet to see one decent reason why they need to stay. Glad they are on the way out. Thing is, for people who really like wearing them, there will be no law preventing you from wearing an old one or putting your license, phone, SSN, CC PIN, etc in there for others to see.

11-Aug-14
I will also be happy when they are gone in 2015.

real hunters will complain about the enormous buck harvest by the xgunners in 2014.

11-Aug-14
real hunters will welcome any new hunters into our ranks in 2014. Selfish and jealous hunters will complain about new hunters and say that someone else shot "their" deer.

11-Aug-14
X 2. Kevin.

12-Aug-14
Zinger your batting a thousand! Nice post!

12-Aug-14
"real hunters will welcome any new hunters into our ranks in 2014. Selfish and jealous hunters will complain about new hunters and say that someone else shot "their" deer."

I agree, but I would add that real hunters will also consider the impact of their actions on the wildlife.

13-Aug-14
Kevin- x3

13-Aug-14
The buck harvest by corssbow guys will be a drop in the bucket compared to buck harvest by verticle bow guys.

13-Aug-14

Novemberforever's embedded Photo
I am more interested to see the net license sales(xbow/vertical), the gain or loss of vertical, and the net gain/loss of buck harvest(xbow/vertical). How many vertical will go xbow? How many of the 400k gun only guys go xbow? It really won't change anything until the 400k gun only guys wake up and have an issue with the pre gun harvest totals.I don't see the DNR ever having an issue with huge buck harvest numbers. If that ever happens any shortened season or stick hunt draw will be shared equally now with the xbow crowd imo.

Baiting? I am happy Waupaca is now banned. Our disabled hunter used bait, total pain in the butt. Effective on young deer but mature doe/bucks knew the game. A better "bait site" on private land is a simple waterhole. Amazing how it's a game magnet. I put 3 in, they work great.

13-Aug-14

13-Aug-14
"If that ever happens any shortened season or stick hunt draw will be shared equally now with the xbow crowd imo."

I disagree. That is the very reason why we fought for a separate season and license. While none of us know if that will happen or not, having the separate defined season does give the ability to place blame on the offending group and not on all.

13-Aug-14
Happy - I must have missed you earlier post - I apologize! Your always so insightful!

With all the "real" problems facing us as bowhunters, to fixate on such a minor issue is too put it mildly....alarming!!

They'll be gone soon Happy and as I posted earlier you'll get a credit card type license that you can haul around in your wallet!! I've seen a prototype and they are pretty neat!

In the meantime, take a breathe, the backtags are on the way out.

You can spend that time wisely scouting for another minor issue to complain about! You now have something to look forward too - move on man! :^)

They been around 30+ years - all of a sudden their inconvienant, impractical and a BIG dollar issue for WDNR and hunters - ah, ya, OK!

13-Aug-14

Kevin from Wisconsin's Link
CaptMike - I totally agree with you.

My prediction going forward is the real hunters of the great state of Wisconsin will quickly work to shorten the xgun season. Thank God the seasons were separated when xguns were included.

xgunner harvest success rates will far surpass that of real bowhunters. because being able to pull the trigger on an xgun while looking through a high power scope and dropping a deer at 100 yards in not bowhunting.

13-Aug-14
Here we go.... "the real" hunters! The "X-gunners" "real bowhunters"

Totally unnecessary and to bad mouth fellow hunters is nothing short of cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Let's review this for like the 8 billionth time!

Crossbows are NOT bows - there not ARCHERY EQUIPMENT! Why some folks want to so desperately lump them together is beyond me. There totally different and they both have there owns seasons!

It's NOT bowhunting - It's CROSSBOW HUNTING!

Like it or not this is now a legal means for hunters in this State to harvest whitetail deer. Get over it!

We'll see what this season brings and move on from there!

What we should be focusing on is is hunter soliderity and not name calling and belittlement!

We have enough people out there pissed at us already!! We dont need this in-house name calling crap and fighting!

The problem is we are, a selfish bunch! Most of us have some degree of selfishness and I think at times I too have been guilty! It's the what's in it for me, what can I shoot - somebody's got an unfair advantage - bastards!

It's a big wait and see on the X-bow issue!

Just wondering - States that do allow crossbows - do they have any deer left? Just a thought! :^)

13-Aug-14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Kd3R1OAQM

OH MY GOD! They can kill a pig at 100yds. Time to have a seperate season for compound bows. Just because you see someone shoot a weapon at extreme distance doesn't mean it will be dooable to the majority of hunters.

13-Aug-14
"xgunner harvest success rates will far surpass that of real bowhunters"

When you say real bowhunters, you are referring to those that shoot trad gear right? Compounds are just a click below xbows in regard to getting proficient at. You do aim through a peep and then another site (which might be lighted and can be dialed in to the exact length [HHA Optimizer]), you then squeeze your trigger releasing the arrow being held the whole time on the drop away rest. Only difference - the draw. With 85% let off, you can draw as early as you want and hold as long as needed.

I am a compound hunter and not a real bow hunter. I don't ever see going to an xbow but would if I needed to for health reasons. I don't think they will be a big deal at all.

13-Aug-14
A compound is a lot closer to a crossbow than it it to a traditional bow.

13-Aug-14
"A compound is a lot closer to a crossbow than it it to a traditional bow." No chance. One is hand held and drawn while the other is cocked well in advance of firing.

13-Aug-14
I'm guessing the xgun season will be shortened down to two or three weeks after the first season or two.

forget the wind- just lob in your bolts from 275 yards.

13-Aug-14
The compound is drawn in advance of "firing" also.

13-Aug-14
"That is the very reason why we fought for a separate season and license. "

Perhaps this is semantics, but SCI and WBH did not fight for a separate season and license - they settled for it. SCI and WBH fought for no inclusion at all other than the existing elderly and disabled exemption. They didn't even want 55 and older. That was very clear in the SCI ad in WON. When they (SCI and WBH) realized the Legislature had their nads in a vice, they went to plan B and settled for the separate season and license. That was a GREAT thing and will allow WI to track it all closely. It I was a betting man, I'd say in 5 years, we'll still have xbows and trad/compound seasons running concurrently.

13-Aug-14
There will be more deer registered with the crossbows but less deer killed due to wounding with compounds and recurves. IMO

13-Aug-14
Kevin that is one of the best I have seen.

Yup no rifle there! Pure Archery LOL!

13-Aug-14

Pete-pec's Link
You are correct Kevin, those crossbows will apparently get you an extra 35 yards Kevin!

Anyone can lob whatever they want. Does it mean they will? Here's a vertical guy launching a 240 yard arrow without a bag as a rest lol.

Yup, no rifle there! PURE ARCHERY LOL LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCOn2HkJJt8

13-Aug-14

Pete-pec's Link
Or a 104 yard shot on a mule deer. Spine shot, quartering to him. Loser bow hunter giving REAL HUNTERS a bad name!

You guys crack me up!

I hope you get the point? There are bozos everywhere. I figured since there is a video showing guys taking 100 yard shots with the vertical bow, that EVERYONE must be doing it? No, they're not!

For the record, I can shoot to 60 yards and hit a paper plate without any magnification on my pins with my compound. I still only shoot deer under 30 yards, and 95% of the time, under 20.

My prediction is there will be an insignificant increase in the deer harvest this year with the added crossbow hunters, but then people can blame the winter, or the weather, or the DNR, or a crazy rut, or Dr. deer, or……whatever may be the reason those crossbow guys didn't do as well as predicted.

If people would focus on their own hunt, and not worry so much about someone else's, they might have an enjoyable season. I moved two ladder stands, and trimmed some small shooting lanes, and checked cameras the last two days. Nothing real nice on the cameras, and I'll still have a great 30 day vacation at the end of October, sharing this great resource with my fellow hunters.

Good luck my fellow hunters…..ALL YOU ALL! } >-->

13-Aug-14
How did this thread jump from a discussion of backtags to a comparison of crossbows with other bows?

While we are off topic anyway Happygolucky, why don’t you just come right out and admit you are the previously banned bowsiter that went by the name Preacher. Your crossbow post above is the same post you made when you were calling yourself preacher. Why come back under a new name? I am surprised that either Pat or Phil haven't kicked you out of here under your new handle by now.

13-Aug-14
One group that looses under the separate license for xbow are those that had a disability permit or were old enough to not need the permit to hunt with an xbow. They are now required to buy the xbow license and they will throw off any statistics that come out of having two different licenses set in place. The state should have allowed those groups to continue buying the regular archery license and still use the xbow like they have been doing all along. Why say that the separate xbow license was implemented so statistics could be kept and at the same time ensure that the statistics will be close to meaningless. Oh ya, I get it. It will make it look like there are suddenly lots of xbow kills and the xbow season will get shortened and thus comes the biggest reason why those that have been allowed to use an xbow in the past got the short end of this deal.

13-Aug-14
Sorry Jeff,

I thought the backtag issue had been resolved and we had moved onto what we would complain about next year after backtags are gone:)

one month to go... it cant come soon enough.

14-Aug-14
Ya, I guess we did get more out of the backtag subject than I ever expected.

Gosh, just one month to go and even less for bear. Fog over the lake this morning. It kind of feels like we are into early September already.

14-Aug-14
Sorry guys, I know nothing about this preacher poster. I came here a couple months ago on a recommendation of a friend. Do you think only one person shares the same opinion on xbows or back tags? Why would I post pics of my son if I am not who I say I am? Sounds like this sight has had some issues in the past. Yikes, don't quit your day jobs..

14-Aug-14
"The problem is this is a 2 year trial period, then guess what.....xbows will be lumped into the regular archery season with vertical bows. Not because of info gathered during the trial period, but rather because the legislature will stick their nose so far into the issue and change it. Watch and see... "

I tend to agree with that. Even with many votes going against xbows and strong efforts by SCI and WBH to keep them at bay, the Legislature did what they wanted to anyway. In 2 years, there will be so much money invested in xbows where there is no way their "season" could be shortened.

14-Aug-14
"because the legislature will stick their nose so far into the issue and change it."

The season will be regulated by the DNR under administrative rule. I doubt any legislator really wants to ever visit the crossbow thing again.

Although I agree with happy on the $$$ and the number in MI show 49.5% use crossbows in archery, 260,000 archery and crossbow number are out ranked by the 400,000+ gun hunters who don't archery or crossbow hunt. This is why separation was key.

14-Aug-14
I think you should only need to wear back tags if using bait, lighted nocks, crossbows or leaving stands up overnight.

14-Aug-14
Outstanding Browning3

• Sitka Gear