Bernie1 01-Aug-14
Bernie1 01-Aug-14
Zinger 01-Aug-14
happygolucky 01-Aug-14
10orbetter 05-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 05-Aug-14
thesquid 20-Aug-14
27-Jul-14
I will be hunting property that leads up to Lake Michigan. There is plenty of corn, beans, and ponds. I am wondering how the bluff would be for hunting. I wonder if the hill on the bluff would be good to hunt because some deer may use it for bedding and even to trail up to the food. Let me know if anyone has hunted the bluff or something similar. Any Advise? I have a Google map pic with some heavy trail if any one wants to see? Thanks!

27-Jul-14
I used to hunt the bluff in Grafton extensively and my Mom lives on the bluff in Mequon. Great hunting, the deer bed on the bluff and come up and out to feed each night.mega mature bucks. We call them bird feeder bucks.

28-Jul-14
I hunt one in Manitowoc, County and yes the bluff is a great place to hunt.

28-Jul-14
I think the deer feel safe bedding on the bluff because they can see anything coming and if there's a west wind they can smell anything from behind. I've never bowhunted the lake bank but we used to drive it for gun hunting and we almost always moved deer. It seemed that the deer prefered to blow out the top if the bluff as opposed to running on the beach when jumped.

29-Jul-14
That is great news. I am going to put a trail camera on the ridge to see whats happening. To bad the online deer registration wont be in effect this year. If I shoot one in the bluff I can imagine the workout trying to drag it up!

29-Jul-14
You haven't had to register the deer whole in quite sometime. I believe it can be in up to 5 pieces.

One word of advice if you try to pull one up the bank with a rope attached to a truck. Make sure the guy driving the truck doesn't think it's cool to see how fast he can do it. Been there, done that!

01-Aug-14

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo
I really like hunting along a bluff. I’m in Michigan and I have used the technique with good success.

Winds seem to be more consistent, and depending on direction blowing where no deer could get down wind of you.

Walk up the bluff to a stand not disturbing the deer on top.

Also the bluff may act like a funnel in some areas.

If you shoot one and he runs downhill.... prepare for a workout of your life. If you are a flat out horse maybe you could drag it. A better option is to quarter and pack out.

I killed this MI buck on public land along a bluff.

01-Aug-14

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo
Sorry... double post.

01-Aug-14

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo
Pic... with me half way up a bluff looking at a great buck!

01-Aug-14
That picture of you with the deer is one of the coolest pictures! If one didn't know better they would think you're on Sitka Island with a Black Tail.

01-Aug-14
Awesome Bernie1!

05-Aug-14
A sleeper spot. Some real giants. Good luck

05-Aug-14
Looks like a boat would be an great thing to have available in that situation.

20-Aug-14
As said, It's a job dragging them out if they go down hill. I have been there many times.

• Sitka Gear