Bob McArthur 05-Aug-14
RC 06-Aug-14
Bob McArthur 06-Aug-14
RC 08-Aug-14
horsethief51 09-Aug-14
02-Aug-14

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
I was experimenting with Goldtip Traditional Only carbon arrows and I happened upon something that's making me change my big game hunting setup. The arrows shot terrible off my Kodiak (60#). They shot pretty well off my 21st Century longbow (55#). But oh baby, they came off one of my Red Wing Hunter bows (56#) as if it was a tack driver. For the last three days my groups have been outstanding and I have to stick with this setup this season.

The bow is a 56# 1967 Red Wing Hunter. The arrow is a 30" Goldtip Traditional Only tipped with Bear Razorheads. Arrow weight is 615 grains.

02-Aug-14

02-Aug-14
Bob, 5575/400 or 7595/340?

03-Aug-14
55/75/400.

03-Aug-14
How did you get the weight up to 615?

03-Aug-14
That .400 should be spot on for for dynamic spine........Great rig, btw. :)

03-Aug-14
100 gr. brass insert, 50 gr screw-in weight behind the insert, screw-in adapter for the broadhead, 5 1/2 " feathers, nock.

03-Aug-14

So I'm shooting broadheads tonight 20 yards from an elevated stand.

03-Aug-14

03-Aug-14

..and look who joins me.

04-Aug-14
Bob, glad to hear you dialed in your set-up! THe Farmers in 5C will be happy too! ;-)

LOL! on your "visitors"! :)

04-Aug-14
Hunting with a classic bow is way cool.

Every year I'm tempted to hunt with my '72 Bear Grizzly but my new custom longbows and recurves always win out.

For kicks this evening I shot my cedar arrows for the first time in a few years. They flew perfectly from my Brackenbury recurve. I even blew off the nock and ruined a shaft on my first round. I didn't realize how much I missed the aroma of busted cedar. :)

Good luck with the Red Wing.

05-Aug-14
Bob,

It sure looks like that Red Wing setup will be a winner with those 5575/400.

For my own education, what do you suspect caused the less than satisfactory arrow flight with your other setups? Just asking because it may help me in the future.

05-Aug-14
Dave, the Kodiak looked to me to be under spined. If I cut the arrows down to 28", i'd loose 18.6 grains and it would probably be okay. The longbow was just a bit over spined and I probably could use them and still be fine if I had to.

05-Aug-14
Bob,

That sure makes sense. I just didn't realize that there could be that much of a difference, given there's only 4# difference between the Red Wing and the Kodiak and 1# difference between the Red Wing and the longbow. There must be some other dynamics going on with those bows that's over my head.

Thanks for the info.

05-Aug-14
Bob, in my experiences, if you cut that arrow down to 28"(from 30") and all other variables remained the same, it would be WAY too stiff. Carbons are far more sensitive to overall length than alloy and wood. Also, in any penetration 'test' I've ever done it took about a minimum of a 15% weight shift to see any appreciable penetration gains......Just food for thought. Anyway, I really get a kick out of using my vintage bows to take game. It's surprising to most how very little has changed in conventional archery over the decades since the inception of glass back bows.

05-Aug-14
Cut to center and the thickness of the sideplate plays an important role in spines the bow will shoot. It's easy to make a 50# bow shoot 40# arrows by building out the sideplate.

05-Aug-14
Phil,

I didn't even think about that, but that makes a lot of sense as well.

Bob,

It appears to me that your arrows are fletched with an offset rather than a helical. Wouldn't that make those arrows more sensitive to the type and poundage of the bow?

05-Aug-14
Dave, they are a slight helical fletch using a BPE left wing helical jig.. Left wing feathers of course.

06-Aug-14
Let me see if I have this right, Mr. McArthur..

I get you into shooting stick bows with wooden arrows, and you turn around and start shooting carbon arrows?

Don't ever call me again for advice!

Hang your head in shame, ya high tech junkie.. :)

LMAO

06-Aug-14
Just for hunting Roy. Regular practice & 3D is wood & aluminum.

08-Aug-14
So you practice with wood and aluminum, then hunt with wussy pants carbon arrows? I practice with what I hunt with! To me that is logical. I'll bet you get all giggly inside when you see those crossbows hanging on the wall at Cabalas. Won't be long till your shooting bolts at 330 fps. LOL

09-Aug-14
Try it Red. Bought a RWH when I was 19. Sold it to a friend 10 years later. When I was 40 the guy I sold my Red Wing Hunter to gave it back and I shot a doe with it on New Years day, on the ground in Philadelphia of all places.

6 years ago I got a Kodiak Magnum for $45 off of a gun shop table at a show and shot an 8 point buck over at brother Ken's in Ohio.

Good strings and the right arrows is all you need as long as the limbs are straight.

• Sitka Gear