va_born 07-Aug-14
Redclub 07-Aug-14
Huntcell 07-Aug-14
thesquid 20-Aug-14
thesquid 20-Aug-14
Cheesehead Mike 21-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 22-Aug-14
05-Aug-14
Been hunting awhile, and have always have hunted in the state I have resided in. I did put in for the Camp Ripley hunt in Minnesota this year. But next year I would like to start putting in for points and potentially draw a tag outside of Wisconsin. Where is the best place to start in finding information for someone new to this lottery system? Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

05-Aug-14
Go to the Montana Forum and read the hell that is the point system. You can get lucky though. I did one year in UTAH on a Once In a Lifetime hunt. Drew on the first year and still believe they made a mistake. As it turned out, Textron, a company that was a client of mine bought the tag because they wanted me to do a project the same week. I made out well on the deal but, still regret not using the tag.

05-Aug-14
va born ----are you talking about whitetail deer???? I can tell you, the best state to go to, which will not break the bank, and is close is South Dakota....

East River, north of Miller ,,,,,,, You will get a tag every year,,,, lots of public land, nice people etc

06-Aug-14
I appreciate the input guys. Yeah I had thought about doing an elk hunt New Mexico and do a couple travels on whitetail. I will definitely look into these SD hunts razorhead. That is awesome to know! Thank you!

06-Aug-14
va_born,

New Mexico has no preference points for elk, it is a straight lottery every year. The odds of drawing the premier units are miniscule but somebody has to draw them and you have the same chance as everybody else. There are other units in NM that have better odds but they are not the premier units. In NM more tags are allocated to outfitters so your odds of drawing increase if you apply through an outfitter.

Some of the states you can build elk preference points for are Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Montana, maybe others...?

You can also build deer preference points in most of those states as well as Iowa.

07-Aug-14

Huntcell 's Link
http://hunterstrailhead.com/

Check out this website and go to the Draw Systems page will provide a simple description of how each state conducts its drawing. They also contain details on Permit Allocations, Hunter Safety Requirements, Youth Incentives and Other Hunting options.

lots info on how each western states draw system's work and cost.

HuntinFool http://www.huntinfool.com/index.php

currently is running a 2 month free trial membership

Also check out Eastmans.com

these are four major sources that I use to gather info on the ten states I apply in each year

Don't forget Bowsite.com most useful of all!!!

07-Aug-14
Again this help has been tremendous guys. Thank you. Now time to sit down and get to planning on these hunts!

07-Aug-14
I go over the counter to Co. every year,Drawing a premium tag could take 20 years in Co. That is for Elk,deer require preference points

07-Aug-14
Some units take zero some more those NW units under the current structure new applicants will never draw and a lot of current ones also, as NR with 22 elk points I did not draw again this year I did get deer tag after eight years. when I started applying for that unit it took two points for archery tag. finally caught up to point creep this year Hunted same unit nine years ago with a rifle tag took ten years back then to get that tag, now takes 19 points for third season rifle tag Lots option out there states species seasons weapons terrain World difference between OTC and limited entry especially DIY

20-Aug-14
Black Bear in Ont. is great.

20-Aug-14
Black Bear in Ont. is great. Red Lake region.

21-Aug-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
You don't need a premium tag to kill a great bull or have a great hunt in CO or other western states for that matter! Personally I would never wait 22 years to hunt any unit when you could have had several great hunts in draw units during that 22 year time frame. That's just me though, to each their own...

22-Aug-14
I think one of the issues of Eastmans magazine has a run down on this every year. I think they also include info on what units within states are like. Not sure which month it comes out in but probably before application deadlines start to come around.

• Sitka Gear