Hunting Hours
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Jimbo 06-Aug-14
GAFFER1 06-Aug-14
Jdawg 12-Aug-14
vvreddy 14-Aug-14
06-Aug-14
I'm going to be hunting in upstate NY this archery season and was told the hunting hours are sunrise to sunset. Is that the case? In MA and other places I've hunted, it's 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. Deer tend to be very active during those extra 30 minutes at the beginning and end of the day, making it some of the best time on stand for a bowhunter.

06-Aug-14
Yep, always been that way in NY. Give up some prime time on each end of the day. On the other hand it may help keep some from shooting too late or too early (too dark that is) I don't judge, I know it has cost me some deer but following the rules is part of the game...

12-Aug-14
On the morning end, depending on the weather conditions on any given day, the sunrise stipulation is a pain. Unless it's rainy or heavy overcast, you can clearly and safely identify game in proximity to your stand well before the legal sunrise. From what I can tell it's not too much adhered to judging by checking my watch when I hear early shots especially on opening day of gun season. I can understand the sunset issue a bit more. Can't really explain it but my instinct tells me a careless hunter is more liable to make a mistake on the evening end of the spectrum. In the morning, light is steadily improving while lat dusk quickly deteriorating. I'm thinking the rule we all a understand and adhere to is to clearly identify what we're looking at and what's behind it....right?

14-Aug-14
In my opinion, ideally there should be some consideration given to the time of year as well. Early in the season under the tree canopy it can get quite dark unlike later in the season.

But that would make the rules too complicated.

• Sitka Gear