bigbuckbob 12-Aug-14
Wild Bill 12-Aug-14
SmoothieJonez 12-Aug-14
Gene 12-Aug-14
wapiti 13-Aug-14
bb 13-Aug-14
jax2009r 13-Aug-14
06-Aug-14
Saw 3 big does in yard today and only 1 fawn. Not good. They should each have a fawn and maybe even 2.

06-Aug-14
Where? I have actually been seeing a decent amount of fawns. Ive also seen 2 sets of triplets for the first time in the Portland area.

06-Aug-14
Buckiller, you forgot to add in all the fawns your didn't see.

You have to multiply all deer you see by 2, we learned this from the DEP. And I suppose because fawns are small you probably should multiply them by 4, maybe 6.

All kidding aside, Fawn Recruitment (that's the fancy name Biologists came up with) has been down for several years at least. The actual causes are probably many, and may vary across the state, but I have little doubt that the increase in the coyote population, and the spread of Bobcats and Bears have contributed to this. Fawn numbers Redding have been down for several years. And now that the population of adult deer has been brought down so far in the name of a Tick Study, it will take a while to rebound.

I'm seeing more fawns in Sherman, but even there twins aren't nearly as common as they once were, and the number of does with no fawns with them, is up.

About all we can expect from the DEEP in the way of help is to hope for a bear and bobcat season. Both are being considered, but are unlikely to be without controversy and delays.

All we can do to help the situation ourselves is to coyote hunt (and trap) aggressively, and as Hunters, if we think the deer numbers are down in some places, we have to refrain from shooting too many Does in those areas.

It does absolutely no good to complain about low deer numbers and to take out a lot of the 'more deer' producers.

Personally, I (and several others I have talked to), plan to concentrate our hunting this year in areas that we know the deer numbers are high. We plan to limit our take in areas with moderate populations, and not hunt at all in areas that have been decimated. I'll believe my own eyes and those of people I trust, over people who I think have an agenda.

I hope a lot of others will do the same. (Of course we all know some people who will kill everything they can, but assholes will always be around)

06-Aug-14
Sounds like a plan Ace .

06-Aug-14
Same here I have a lot of doe pics on camera only one fawn so far!

06-Aug-14
Give it a few weeks, you'll start seeing the fawns more.

07-Aug-14
I have gotten zero fawn pics and havent seen a fawn with a doe while driving here in MA. Not sure what is going on? We seem to have less coyotes then in past years from the lack of tracks. Maybe bears idk?

07-Aug-14

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Pulled a cam the other day and had the first fawn on film I've had in 3-4 years. This was here in Z9 in MA (north of Worcester). The wife and I did see a doe with two fawns driving through, I believe its Southbury or Southington (forgetting) just west of exit 15 on 84 a few weeks ago which was a nice surprise to see.

07-Aug-14
I had two fawns playing in the back of the building this morning. They were chasing each other around.

07-Aug-14
Exit 15 would be Southbury.

07-Aug-14

DeerDan 's embedded Photo
DeerDan 's embedded Photo

07-Aug-14

07-Aug-14

hunter16's embedded Photo
hunter16's embedded Photo
Saw two fawns in a small field so I pulled over and got 40 yards away and snapped the picture. The other one was behind the bush on the left but you can't see it

07-Aug-14
I have seen 3 does dead on the road in Washington in the last few weeks. What do you think is the fate of their fawns?

08-Aug-14
Out in chaplin I pulled my cards over the weekend have a video of momma and a fawn and pics of a momma with twins and I think a pic of a different fawn also

08-Aug-14
It's not surprising you weren't seeing fawns with does. When they are young they don't travel with the does. They stay behind, hidden and the does go off feeding alone.

08-Aug-14

tracker980's embedded Photo
Had a pair of does with a fawn each in my yard this morning.. nice to see them around.

08-Aug-14

11-Aug-14
oh boy between this and the winter kill threads ....jeez

11-Aug-14
Something has to be done about the predators though. I saw a pair of the biggest mountain lions I ever saw the other day on route 7 in Kent....Had to be world records.

11-Aug-14
Not around here

11-Aug-14
Saw 2 fawns in field this weekend taken down by a swarm of ticks, we need to do something about this problem. Anyone got any ideas??

11-Aug-14
When they administer the birth control, they can spray them with permethrin at the same time.

11-Aug-14

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
2 does 1 fawn

12-Aug-14
BBB - Are you saying that those 2 fawns were dead and covered with ticks?

12-Aug-14
I think he was being funny, based on a certain laughable "tick study".

12-Aug-14
Gene,

Sorry, I guess I wasn't funny at all. It was supposed to be joke reflecting back on all of our discussions around WB and lyme disease. All the fawns I've seen look healthy.

12-Aug-14
Someone is forgetting his happy face at the end again... :-0

12-Aug-14
Next time :)

12-Aug-14
I've got a spotted fawn in the dutch oven right now. Chili meat, courtesy of a road kill three weeks ago. Then last week I saw another spotted fawn on the side of RT84.

It isn't just predators.

12-Aug-14
Checked trailcam and had a set of twins and mother browse by on 07/12/2014

12-Aug-14
Smoothie - I hope those fawns were fathered by the buck that you just posted on "new buck photos"!

13-Aug-14
Litchfield county is losing population due to predators. Per DEEP, in particular, bears are killing fawns. This surprised me.

13-Aug-14
Bears are notorious Fawn killers, they are hell on just about anything within their range.

13-Aug-14
Bears back track a Doe to the fawn....one of the only animals to do that

• Sitka Gear