horsethief51 07-Aug-14
Rut Nut 08-Aug-14
Bourbonator 08-Aug-14
RC 08-Aug-14
Rut Nut 10-Aug-14
hawkeye in PA 10-Aug-14
lazer2 14-Aug-14
06-Aug-14
As I drove home on I95 from VA I decided to stop in at the new Cabelas Store in Newark, DE. Like a kid in a candy store, right? Not so much. I head on over to the archery section, they got every single gadget a sucker, I mean bowhunter, with money would want...and nothing that a traditional archer would need, or use.

I'm looking for some ASAT camo. I'd like it in wool, but, a Hydro-Fleece type would do. No frickin' ASAT anywhere; No wool anywhere, and no Hydro-Fleece anywhere. they did, however, have a lot of fancy looking camo that was shiny & noisey. They had a lot of Scent-Blocker clothing for the suckers with money. I walked around a little more, looked at all the useless crap that is designed to catch my eye instead of actually being of use to me. But then I found some things that I actually could use...a large bottle of liquid scent-free hunters soap (I use this all years), and a couple of boxes of jerky and bologna cures. I coulda ordered it all online. Today it really hit me, the big outdoor super stores have nothing but expensive useless crap.

I don't think I'll ever step foot into a Cabela's again.

07-Aug-14
They gotta sell carbon arrows.. :)

07-Aug-14
If I were a traditional hunter I would not waste my money on gadjets! why I would spend my money on power tools to help me make my pretty traditional bows!

OH! shots fired! I seriously hope some of you guys got a sence of humor since the last time I blessed this site with my posts ; )

Mike

07-Aug-14
RC, They can't come close to the price I paid for blems at BIg Jim's

07-Aug-14
Bob, it only bothers us the first time.... you know... when we have our hopes that with all that "hunting stuff"... we'll be like a kid in a candy store... then as you're walking out, empty handed, you realize you were more like a diabetic in a candy store :^) None of that stuff is for me either bud. I went to a Cabelas ONCE, and never went back.

I havent bought any hunting stuff in years, but when I do need to replace some earthtone, soft, quiet clothes, I tend to visit Central Tractor, Good Will, Trader Horn, Army/Navy store, etc.

I did find a bunch of osage boards here locally on Craigslist last week :^)

07-Aug-14
Mike who?

07-Aug-14
Bob, I really haven't bought anything from Cabelas in a long time. That said, the store in Wheeling, WV does have a good supply of "trad" gear. Camo of any sort really doesn't impress me anymore, but I know that ASAT you speak of does work well. I buy woolens at the thrift store for pennies on the dollar and the deer I'm killing don't appear to care. :).......And, really I like watching the gadget war from a distance - observed a guy last year buy a $700+ Scentlok suit at the grand opening of a Field &Stream store up this way. I laughed and left with a few bricks of .22's for the kid. Roy on the other hand lives at Cabelas and the guy who locks up at night has to kick him out. ;^)

07-Aug-14
Funny, when my daughters ask what I want for Christmas or birthday, I say just get me a Bass Pro Shop gift card and I will buy what I need. I end up holding on to them until I really need something. I have bought more firearms I fishing related stuff than bowhunting stuff. I usually buy stuff at the store near Atlanta when I am down there visiting my grandchildren.

Got a great wool pull over at a booth in Harrisburg for half price last winter.

Get my good trad stuff at trad shoot campouts.

08-Aug-14
Bob,

I think each store varies their stock based on their region. I have been to a few different Cabela's and Bass Pro and they all tend to be a bit different on what they carry. I am guessing there are a lot more compound and crossbow guys in the Delaware area.

I know the Hamburg store has traditional stuff cause I have seen it there and got a few items. Of course way more compound and crossbow stuff, but I expect that just because of the numbers.

If I need something traditional I usually look at cabelas or gandermountain and if I can;t find it there, order from 3 rivers.

08-Aug-14
I normally by from 3 Rivers, or just have RC make it for me!

08-Aug-14
Perry, where do you buy the wheel grease at? Advanced Auto? LOL

10-Aug-14
LOL! No, Tractor Supply. ;-)

10-Aug-14
Tired of the big C standing for China.

14-Aug-14
More then half the time those trad guys say its cheaper at three rivers.

• Sitka Gear