Youth Weekend
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Roxruckers 06-Aug-14
JayG@work 12-Aug-14
Jdawg 12-Aug-14
sweet old bill 13-Aug-14
06-Aug-14
Interested to hear how folks were impacted by the youth weekend last year. I was away that weekend and was not able to get into the woods. Was there a lot of extra activity and guns going off ? I hunt state land and it is hard enough already.

12-Aug-14
The youth weekend was great, it gave fathers a reason to go out and scout on posted land during the archery opener, so they could see what land they wanted to poach on, shoot a deer and put it on his kids tag.. Wonderful!! By the way, we taught a bowhunter ed course a little while back. We asked who has hunted before and had a kid who was like 12 raise his hand. We asked how he did that since he wasn't old enough to hunt.. He said "Dad takes me all the time. I get to hold the light!!" Welcome to Upstate NY

12-Aug-14
Now that's priceless....but not funny really. Trying not to be too cynical but I'm sure it happens.

13-Aug-14
great weekend last year as a truck stopped out in front of the house and a father helped his son put a gun out the window and try to shoot a doe on my front lawn. I was looking out the door and ran out and gave a big hello what the hell are you doing and they drove off without shooting.

it a good idea, but to many are the lowest of the low and use the time to take deer.

I think it was better when as a kid, I went several years without a gun just to be with my Dad and he showed me the finer points to wood craft and hunting in general. I got so I just loved hunting with dogs for rabbits and then when it was time it did take me two years to take my first buck with a gun.

• Sitka Gear