GoJakesGo 08-Aug-14
retro 08-Aug-14
NWO 08-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 09-Aug-14
retro 09-Aug-14
stagetek 11-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 11-Aug-14
07-Aug-14
In the past few months on here in different threads there has been talk about Stands being stolen, cameras thefts, trespassers etc. Well today while baiting on private property which borders County land some one took one of my stands, first one of the year. They left my ladder stick. I have 8 weeks invested in this spot, bears coming in real good. Crooks seem to always come back to the seen of the crime. I am thinking about putting up another stand with Plot Watcher cameras near by to possibly catch the thief if he comes back. My question is what would you do? abandoned this bait site and chalk it up as a loss and move on?

07-Aug-14
Man, I know how it feels. Such an invasion upon you. I imagine you have said to yourself how can I catch this prick. I don't think in this case, the thief will return to the scene of the crim. I don't think a camera will show you anything (even if he shows) that will allow you to catch the guy. More likely it will drive you nuts, or you lose a camera out of the deal.

My guess would be a competition between a nearby bear hunter. Probably trying to discourage you from hunting this spot?

And if you're anything like me, you are thinking about hunting this guy versus the bear. Don't let it consume you. You will lose focus and have a less enjoyable time out there.....coming from a guy who has lost three stands, one portable blind, and one sd card. Sitting in a stand thinking about this random act can drive you to near insanity.

07-Aug-14
If only he was wearing a back tag you could have caught him! Sorry I had to :)

07-Aug-14
Zinger - Dont quit your day job!!

07-Aug-14
It sucks. Have been there like many others. Get a warden, if you think there is the possibility he will be back and ask the warden to help you stake him out. I agree with Pete, sounds like competition and he will be back to a spot that he can cut you off on the County land. My opinion, he is a greater trophy than any bear or deer. i wouldn't waste a lot of time on him though.

07-Aug-14
You can get a warden, but he wont be much help to you. Wardens dont handle thefts. "If" you could convince him/her it was a case of hunter harassment they "might" help, but pretty slim chance. They will direct you to the local Sheriff's Office.

I know who's baiting bear in the areas I hunt. Not because I'm nosey, I would rather move than deal with the competition. NWO has many, many more baits than I do I'm betting, so that's a little harder. I dont believe it's another bear hunter - the competion might dump motor oil on your bait - but steal a stand? How does help the idiot that stole your stand? You still have your honey hole!

Hind sight is always 20/20 but a little early for stands dont you think? Only invites trouble.

If you need to leave a stand, leave "just" the stand. Take your stick with you!

Always lock your stand in as well. If some idiot is willing to shinny up 16 feet with a bolt cutters in their mouth - they can have the stand!

Be a cold day when I abandoned this stand as long as it's active.

My bet, he wont be back! But if I had an extra camera, I'd leave another stand (locked in) and no ladder stick! Hide the camera well and leave it on video - black out mode and see what happens.

Or, mark it up to experience and move on!

Chances are you have not marked or engraved your stand, but I would report it to the Sheriff's Office. In the future mark your stands in an inconspicuous place. Ya never know.

Good Luck - Few things lower than a thief!

07-Aug-14
Few years back, I found my own stolen stand that a guy was using. The stand theft was a Sheriff issue and because he was over baiting it became a GW issue, he also was using screw in tree steps. They took turns each day for two weeks and one evening they went in together and there he was.

Bloodtrail, all my stands are engraved in multiple places, 90% are Rivers Edge which the straps are lite tan in color, my name is written on the straps with black marker.

08-Aug-14
I have hunted in areas with a high nerd population...I found it easier to feel comfortable using a climber and hanging a camera to monitor the stand at eye level to the stand..it also will take interesting video of you picking your nose when hunting..but it is out of reach to be tampered with...And no one looks for deer cams at 25 ft......I also have used dummy cams mounted in plain eye site.. cameras that either don't work or are older....and then mount a good cam.. again high above watching that dummy cam...it is amazing the nerve nerds have in the hunting woods...never can be to careful in high nerd areas...haven't had a cam or stand stolen since.... but i am ready....If it happens...I don't get even.....I get way..way ahead...keep your dame hands off other people's stuff...or deal with what you have coming..

08-Aug-14
"I have hunted in areas with a high nerd population..."...MIT?? Marquette?

08-Aug-14
? LOL

08-Aug-14
You may want to look back and see if you have any enemies. My bet is someone has a beef with you and will stop at nothing to cause you harm.

We all know of a guy that would probably do this.

Just my opinion.

08-Aug-14
Contact your local LE Dept and request extra patrols in your area. My guess is this person had to drive there so theres a chance LE may find an unoccupied parked car if they return.

Generally these things go unreported. Are they hard to catch; yes, but you'll never know if you dont try.

Its an excellent idea to put multiple engravings on your gear when possible. This info becomes VERY important to LE when they investigate. When LE make traffic stops and things seem off (multiple gps units in a car) we ask lots of questions and check SN numbers. Pawn shops and scrap yards are required to keep records and LE checks them for stolen goods.

Not every missing item is the fault of a fellow hunter. Ive caught junkies with hunting camera's trying to pawn them for their next hit. I've been a victim of theft too and can relate. Hope you get GIANT!

08-Aug-14
When your baiting for bear and repeatedly returning to a spot many times, you become visible to others in an area and are asking for problems in my opinion. Natural ground blinds or portable stands and steps which you remove when you leave are the only way to deal with all the pond scum in the woods.

08-Aug-14
I have always had great respect for other baiters, never have I walked in on there set up just to see, I wish other people would have the same respect, but I guess if everyone followed the rules we wouldn't need LE.

09-Aug-14
Retro, not sure how much bear hunting experience you have but:

A) ground blinds are OK but not that good, people like to have some chance of seeing a bear approach, more excitement and more time to judge size. In most good bear setups you cannot see much from the ground except a narrow path from you to the bait. That is why elevated stands are important. First bear I ever shot I was on the ground, I felt the presence of something and rolled my eyes to the left, two feet away was a bear looking at me, now that is excitement.

B) bear are very aware of what is around the bait site and in many cases probably laying back a ways listening to what is going on at their food pile. Anything that happens that is not part of the normal baiting routine alerts them to some degree. That is why most bear hunters leave their stands up and why it would be nice if stands for bear hunting could be left up overnight on state land.

09-Aug-14
Jeff, I pretty much agree. But in the county I live in, if you place your stuff on public land and leave it, its not a matter of if it gets stolen, but when it gets stolen. A hunter on public land has to be adaptable unless you like replacing stolen equipment. One thing you can do with portable equipment is go to your stand much earlier than normal and allow things to settle down. All day sits. Works for deer to. Effective ground blinds take some planning. Plenty of ways to get yourself some elevation and ability to see a bit. Set your baits up accordingly. Hate to see people get their stuff stolen. Lots of bad eggs out there.

11-Aug-14
I've been fortunate. But, I certainly feel for those who haven't. I do lock my stands and ladders, but that really only deters the casual thief. If someone really wants it, they'll probably get it.

11-Aug-14
On private land where I have permission to use them I use sky hook steps. Put a tempered lag bolt into the tree and the step slides over and onto the bolt. Take the steps out with you and there is no handy means to climb the tree I feel that I deter theft to some degree but also discourage kids that might happen onto one from attempting to play on the stands. Where I use the hang on ladder sections I often take the bottom one or two out with me when on public land.

• Sitka Gear