horsethief51 22-Sep-14
horsethief51 22-Sep-14
horsethief51 22-Sep-14
Rut Nut 22-Sep-14
horsethief51 22-Sep-14
Rut Nut 29-Sep-14
08-Aug-14

Teeton's Link
No F'n way!!! This will give nonhunter a say and how the game lands are used.. I know from being on a board of a state pro hunting org that most and if not all hunting orgs in Pa will oppose this.. It's the non hunters that have asked for this to happen.. Can anyone guess why they've asked for this?? Pa hunters for over a hundred years have been buying land to hunt on, for a total of over 1.5 million acres...

The year is 2114 hunter numbers are 300000. Five nonhunting members sit on the GC board. Well you get my point on the last sentence. Also the year is 2015. I paid my use fee if I want to walk and ride my horse up and down and blow my horn on the GL food plot on the first day of rifle season I "CAN" I paid my user fee.. The hunter calls a warden,,, Officer this guy is harassing me, he's ride his horse and blowing a horn up and down this game lands food plot.. Sorry he paid his use fee, he has as much right to be here as you.

Remember we are hunting on lands that are over 100 years old now in this year 2014. There will be a year 2114.. See link...

"NO F'N WAY!!!!!

Respectfully Ed R

08-Aug-14
NO...NO.. AND NO!!!!

08-Aug-14
"I think that the response that we get from hunters and non-hunters are really going to factor into the way our board of commissioners opts to go with it."

That response will come in the form of public comment at the next commissioners' meeting in September.

Well, i can;t take off that monday 9/22/14, but I can write the PGC BOC! ;-)

11-Aug-14
Not sure I afree with you Teeton though you make valid points.Gun ranges now require permits or hunting licenses but you MUST still follow the rules.Hunter harassment will still be just that.Not like those people walking around, running dogs, ect aren't already a pain in the ass.As long as all the user fees are for habitat improvements or future purchasing I'd be OK with it.Of course rules must be posted at all the gates Then again, I can see exactly what your saying.I just get ticked off by people out there wrecking my day at no cost to them.They will still wreck my day but may improve the habitat with the added funds Im on the fence;sway me to fall on your side

13-Aug-14
Scott- there is a big difference between paying to use the rifle ranges and paying to use the SGL!

Do you really want the non-hunting public to have a say in how we use/manage our SGL????!!!! Can you imagine what would happen if PETA got involved with this????!!!

In this day and age with all the litigation, it would be easy for a non-hunting group to sue the PGC because they didn;t like the way the SGL were being used.

I say don;t let them have ANY say in how the SGL are used/managed!!!!! They are our game lands- I don;t want them to have ANY control over them!

Why would anyone want to let non-hunters have a stake in the future of OUR SGL????!!!! It can only mean trouble in the future!

13-Aug-14
Folks, we need to contact the PGC Board of Commissioners. They are saying they have not heard from hunters on this issue. There is supposedly only one commissioner that is in opposition of this!

Make your voices heard!

I just sent my lettter to the BOC!

13-Aug-14
Makes ALOT of sense Perry.Never thought of it that deep,but definitely could happen

13-Aug-14
Perry is 100% right on. Thanks for the explanation.

13-Aug-14
Art what's the ubp stand on this????

13-Aug-14
Ed what's Backcountry H&A thoughts on this?

13-Aug-14
Dale I'm not sure. They just starting the Pa chapter. I know they posted about starting the chapter on here the bowsite by it was removed.. I do like everything I've read about them and what they are doing out west.. Not sure on how their mission statement plays on this the GL fee?

I very much like BHA so far, but I'm new to them. Ed

14-Aug-14
I tend to agree. It is a much better 'position' and approach to be able to say,,(and we should )..."We happily anted up to preserve these lands and thus our historical heritages...we INVITE you to share in them with us...AS OUR GUESTS."

????

the other ED :)

14-Aug-14
UBP is opposing this. We have a very thought out statement that we are sending to Harrisburg.

PGC tells us that the hunters/public are not making comments telling them that we (individual hunters) are telling them this.

Everyone should call, write and/or e-mail them.

14-Aug-14

Rut Nut's Link
I got a response from Jay Delaney. He suggested I review the staff report by the PGC Director and get back to him. (see link)

14-Aug-14
I'm also staunchly opposed to any type of fee. As Ed says, they are our guests, and in my humble opinion, that should continue to be the limited nature of the relationship.

14-Aug-14
We have some control over our guests.... But if we have terrible "renters" we have to live with it....

14-Aug-14
I think charging anyone for walking through any public land is un-American! Seriously! Pretty soon well be taxed to breath.

I think there should be special doe licenses for game lands. Limited and $30 each.

15-Aug-14
Always, I suspect yer fairly young yet...? Many of the rest of us already know too well we WILL be taxed until death. Well, actually until about three years after that ;)

15-Aug-14
Always', I agree with your sentiment, but these aren't really "public land". The PGC owns the game lands outright and hunters paid for them, as the commission receives no money from the state's general fund. That said, having 'special' tags for game lands doesn't make any sense though.

15-Aug-14
Hunters didn't necessarily pay for all of them.The PGC is mandated to spend a maximum of 400/acre which can be matched with another $400/acre with P-R funds.Those P-R funds are mostly funded by what hunters spend but non-hunters kick in as well.More importantly,since you can't get much for $400/acre,nature conservancies usually buy the land at the market price and then sell it at a reduced rate or hand it over to the PGC or DCNR.THOSE NATURE CONSERVANCIES ARE FUNDED LARGELY BY NON-HUNTERS.In the past several years thousands of acres in this part of the state have been purchased by the western Pa nature conservancy and the Conservation fund.Most of this land was previously leased and it's now open to the public.Some of it is game lands and some is now state forest.A win-win for hunters but to say hunters buy these lands in way off base.Regardless,I still don't want to see any type of usage fee.

15-Aug-14
Good description Doug. (We rode by T. L. today.)

16-Aug-14
Did you all see this? Came out yesterday.

PROPOSAL: REQUIRE PERMIT FOR RECREATIONAL RIDING ON GAME LANDS Recommendation would have no impact on hikers or birdwatchers, and there are many ways to comment.

There’s been a lot of talk lately about the possibility a permit soon might be required to use state game lands. And at meeting next month, the Pennsylvania Game Commission formally will consider adopting such a permit, which would not be required for anyone who holds a valid hunting or furtaker’s license. But there’s an important difference between the proposal on the table and what you might have heard about it. Namely, the permit being proposed would be required only for those riding bicycles, horses or snowmobiles on designated trails on game lands. Others, such as hikers or birdwatchers without a hunting or furtaker’s license, would continue to be able to use game lands in the same manner they do now. A study into the need for a game-lands use permit concluded that low-impact users like hikers and birdwatchers typically don’t cause the types of damage to game lands – and associated repair costs – that the permit fee would help offset. That’s why the recommendation from the Game Commission’s Bureau of Wildlife Habitat Management was narrowed to apply only to specific uses on designated trails. The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners will consider the recommendation at its regular meeting to be held Sept. 22 and 23 in Delmont, Pa. The board is scheduled to hear public comment at the meeting, limited to five minutes per person, beginning at 8:30 a.m. If a vote is taken, it would occur on Sept. 23.

Hunters fund game lands Many uses of game lands take a toll that requires upkeep. Driving on game lands roads, parking in lots there and using designated trails – even in the best conditions – results in some wear and tear. Historically, the state’s hunters and trappers have shouldered those maintenance costs, as well as other costs associated with game lands. Unlike state or county parks, the state game lands system was created and is maintained almost entirely with sportsmen’s dollars, derived in large part from the sale of hunting and furtakers’ licenses. Game lands are managed to improve wildlife habitat, and create hunting and trapping opportunities. The use of game lands by other outdoor enthusiasts long has been permitted, though activities not related to hunting and trapping are restricted during hunting and trapping seasons, and certain uses might be prohibited on some sections of game lands. Recreational horseback riding, bicycling and snowmobiling are permitted only on designated trails on game lands. However, there often are other trails on game lands that, even though they are not designated, are used frequently for recreational riding. In some cases, it might be difficult for a rider to distinguish a designated from a non-designated trail. Signs posting trails as being off limits often are torn down, or just ignored. And the damage to wildlife habitat from undesignated trails, and the upkeep costs of designated trails, both can mount very quickly.

Money spent on trails There are more than 1,328 miles of designated trails on game lands to accommodate horseback riding, bicycling and snowmobiles. That’s about the same distance you’d cover if you walked the Pennsylvania Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back – twice. Or, if you’d rather, you could walk from Harrisburg to Florida and cover roughly the same distance. In reviewing recent spending records, the Game Commission identified about $230,000 in known costs over the past three years associated with trail maintenance and signage. Other projects to build or maintain game lands roads, parking lots or other infrastructure – all of which benefits trail users – topped $4 million in less than three years. Trails also serve as rights of way, meaning they create areas that must be excluded from revenue generators like timber sales, accounting for the potential loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. Damage to trails due to horses, bicycles and snowmobiles can be considerable. When the ground is saturated, horses can leave hoof prints 6 inches deep. And in areas with heavy traffic, or that stay wet most of the time, the damage is even worse. It’s no different with bicycles and snowmobiles, which also can damage habitat and infrastructure and create the same type of erosion and sedimentation concerns, at ford crossings and elsewhere. In the worst cases, damage associated with trails threatens the very purpose of the game lands, and conflicts with the concept that recreational opportunities on game lands should come at no compromise to wildlife habitat or hunting or trapping opportunities. The permit being considered would seek to better regulate riding on designated trails, thereby mitigating that impact as well as raising revenue for associated maintenance costs. Given the Game Commission’s duty to mitigate damage caused by uses not related to hunting or trapping, a lack of action might also jeopardize the receipt of future Pittman-Robertson funds, which are derived from a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition, then doled out to the states for habitat restoration and other uses.

The permit Under the recommendation proposed, the privileges to ride horses, bicycles or snowmobiles on designated trails on game lands would be included within the existing State Game Lands Shooting Range Permit, commonly called a range permit. Range permits cost $30 and are available for purchase online through the Outdoor Shop at the Game Commission’s website. Range permits are effective from June 30 to July 1, mirroring the timetable for hunting and furtakers’ licenses. Of course, those who hold a valid hunting or furtaker’s license will not be required to obtain a permit to ride horses, bicycles or snowmobiles on designated game lands trails. They receive those privileges when they purchase their licenses. If the recommendation is adopted, and a permit becomes required for others to use designated trails on state game lands, the name of the dual-purpose permit will be changed to “State Game Lands Permit.” The permits would only be required for those 16 years of age or older.

Opportunity to comment Those wishing to comment about the proposal can do so at the Board of Game Commissioners meeting on Monday, Sept. 22 in Westmoreland County. The meeting is to be held at the Lamplighter Inn, 6566 William Penn Highway, Delmont, Pa. 15626. Doors open at 7:45 a.m. the day of the meeting and public comment begins at 8:30 a.m. The commissioners may vote on the proposal during the meeting’s second day Sept. 23. The Sept. 23 meeting is scheduled for the same location and also will start at 8:30. Comments also may be submitted in writing. The easiest way to submit a comment is by email sent to [email protected]. Comments also can be mailed to the Game Commission. Address the envelope ATTN: Game Lands Permit, Pennsylvania Game Commission, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797. Comments received will be shared with the commissioners.

# # #

17-Aug-14
After reading all this, I really don't understand the reasoning behind the permit. It sounds like they think issuing a permit will stop all the illegal activity like riding on unauthorized trails and tearing down trail markers just because you would have to "read" the rule booklet when they get the permit.

What makes them think they would read a lengthy rule booklet when they don't read a simple sign posted at the parking areas now???!!!

Also, they say they are spending so much on trail maintenance and bridge and road construction and can't afford to take money from habitat.

Well, why don't they take some of the money they are getting from gas and oil leases and designate it for that???!!! It's not like the PGC is hurting for money! With all the money they are making from the Marcellas Shale industry, they can afford to designate some of this money for trails.

I just haven't heard a good excuse yet to give non-hunters a stake in OUR gamelands! Please keep them out of it and find another way.

18-Aug-14
Got another e-mail from Jay Delaney- he said he got 28 e-mails today and 22 of them were in support of a user fee.

So if you guys don't want to see this happen, you better send some e-mails and make your voices heard!(and spread the word) You have about a month to do so, then it may be too late!

19-Aug-14
I am attending the PGC quarterly meeting which will be held Monday, Sept. 22 (8:30 AM start) in Delmont, PA (Rt. 22 near Monroeville). If you live in SW PA and can get there I'd love to see you. Public has a chance to make comments.

You can send me your suggestions. I have free room for 2 at Camp UBP and it is an hour and a half drive if anyone wants to travel.

Muldoon will also be there representing the UBP.

19-Aug-14
Wish I could go Art, but I am already taking that Wed-Fri. for the 5C hunt.

Thanks for representing us, though!

20-Aug-14
This is ez...eliminate the use of snow mobiles, bikes horses etc on gamelands except in the act of hunting

These are GAME LANDS. Not recreation lands.

now I'll go back to lurking

20-Aug-14
The beginning of the end of the GL as we know them...

Nut,, you got a email address best to send to??

Ed

23-Aug-14
I think we as hunters need to be smart on how we approach this issue. I think a user fee is going to be implemented no matter how much protesting we do. We should focus our efforts on how and when non hunters use these lands. These permits should only be good for times between hunting seasons. March-April, June-September. This would limit the conflict of hunter and non-hunters. I also feel that these fees need to go back into the game lands to maintain the land. As much as they like to think, horses are NOT low impact on the environment. All you have to do is look at the ANF. The trails erode into the streams and rivers and all they do is move over and cause a second and third washout. I think there should be 3 fee, walking, mt biking and equine. If you want to ride horse and a mt bike you need to buy two permits. We as hunters need to buy tags and stamps for the different animals and seasons we want to hunt. I think they should have to do the same. We need to focus on what we really want, not to be bothered by non-hunters and flower sniffer while we are hunting.

Ryan

23-Aug-14

Huntinggal2009's Link
If you all don't want this to happen, better get on it. Send your comments to PGC - Commissioners and Agency.

Here is the link to the last BOC meeting. Take a look at it.

24-Aug-14
After the the snowmobile and ATV/UTV people were required to buy a license to ride on DCNR lands, they pressured DCNR to expand and make new trails. That is for the most part not something we would like to see take place on State Game course, the snowmobile and ATV/UTV folks had the support of several legislators.

Not all the horse people are the farm girl or boy down the road, some horse people have lots of money and legislative connections. That spells pressure and expanded use, not for hunting, trapping, or even wildlife propagation.

25-Aug-14
Dale, that's what many of us are afraid of! Once they start paying, they are going to expect(and push the legislators for) more and more!

I asked Jay and the BOC if there has been any talk about alternative funding(marcellas shale $$) instead of a user fee. And if they insist on a permit, how about a free permit like the DCNR issues for camping on the S.F. That would seem to address their problems without giving non-hunters a say in our SGL.

I am still waiting for an answer.

25-Aug-14
I strongly feel game lands should stay as game lands but I also feel non-hunters should be allowed to use them for certain things.Again,they contribute to their purpose a lot more than most hunters give them credit.A user fee would give them a voice and that would be bad.It should stay as it is now.Allow them to use them them under the guidelines currently in place.

25-Aug-14
If we could just get some of the long winded, self promoters on here, to actually do something for the greater good, we might be able to defeat this thing.

Reminds me of all the bitchin' that went on AFTER the c-gun revolution, by the guys who sat back idol, and did nothing.

BE HEARD, write your Commissioners!

22-Sep-14
Muldoon , me and several other ubp and federation guys are at the meeting today.

22-Sep-14
80 to 90 people here.

22-Sep-14
Seems like everyone is against it so far.

22-Sep-14
Good! Thanks for representing us guys!

22-Sep-14
Some of the groups represented were: Mountain Bikers Dog Mushers (They have dogs pull little cards with bike wheels like sled dogs.) Snowmobilers Rails to trails folks Farm Bureau (state and local reps) Unifieds PFSC NWTF No ATV people (hey wait, they are not allowed and ride in SGLs anyway.) LOL

One local organization said SGL users should have a hunting license instead of a user permit so more Pittman-Roberts money would kick in.

Muldoon was great. You could hear a pin drop and there were no questions or comments.

I merely echoed what Muldoon had to say and suggested they use a survey on PALS to ask hunters when the buy their license. I told them the consensus was that more of us would buy bear licenses if the archery deer and bear season overlapped.

On another note there was some Falconry stuff on the agenda and a guy came (with a bird). Seems the PGC had some items that he told them were already covered by federal regulations and they were not in sync with them making things more restrictive when it was not necessary. They were willing to talk with him privately on the subject to learn more.

29-Sep-14
Here is a recap:

The proposed user fee was tabled even though the majority of the Commissioners seemed to be ready to vote it in. There were 16 people who testified on the user fee and thirteen were in opposition, as was the UBP, PANWTF, PFSC, Governors Sportsmen Advisory Council, and, the PGC Executive Director, Senior Staff, Office Staff, and most of the Regional and Bureau Directors. Everyone acknowledges that problems such as erosion, stolen signs, and illegal trails exist on some game lands; and that they are due to mountain bikes, horses, and to some degree snowmobiles. That being said, most do not feel that a user fee permit should be the starting point. Several of the Commissioners, as well as most PGC Staff feel, that a program of identifying the illegal trails, closing them, re-signing the legal trails, and increased enforcement, and possibly increased fines, should be tried prior to the creation of a user fee. There is also the problem of requested exemptions, which, it turns out, are piling up with a list that includes hikers, bird watchers, photographers, dog-mushers, anywhere that Rail-Trails exist on the Game Lands and an agreement is in place with the Game Commission. Although the proposal has been tabled, the Commissioners have requested that Staff provide them with another, so the issue is certainly not dead. A letter or email to the PGC Executive Director showing your support for increased enforcement in regard to illegal trails on the Game Lands is suggested. In addition, it was discussed that hunters who see illegal trail activities taking place and do not report them is definitely part of the problem.

• Sitka Gear