Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
CJD437 11-Aug-14
bb 11-Aug-14
CTCrow 11-Aug-14
Ace 12-Aug-14
CJD437 12-Aug-14
11-Aug-14
I know this is a bowsite but I just had to write this. I have a 3 year old Brittany that we were going to breed this weekend but she started acting strange. At first I thought it was PMS from her being in heat but then she became lame in one leg and could barely walk. It was really sad to witness. I had to carry her to and fom the truck. I brought her to my vet this am and she tested positive for Lyme Disease. My vet informed me that there have been more than normal lyme diagnosis this year. Luckily its treatable with antibiotics and pain killers for her discomfort. Moral of tis story is PLEASE medicate for Lyme ie Frontline/Advantix or whatever you want to use and dont home diagnose. If you see these symptoms get your dog seen right away. I took her off Frontline in June just because we were breeding her this month. Its not a pretty sight to see your best friend unable to walk. Thank you!!

11-Aug-14
I have a Lab that got Lyme disease years ago. I thought he got hit by a car, he couldn't move, had to carry him to the vet. Vet put him on antibiotics and next day he was fine, like nothing happened. I give him a Lyme vaccine with the rest of his shots, he hasn't had it since, and that was probably 12 years ago.

11-Aug-14
Sorry to hear chuck. I wish hear a fast and full recovery.

My brother's boxer got it about a year ago too and he is fine now.

12-Aug-14
Lyme is fairly common in hunting dogs, and dogs that are outside a lot in "ticky" places.

The great thing is that with a really cheap antibiotic, they respond very quickly. Some vets and doctors will prescribe an Antibiotic as soon as symptoms are present, and quite often the animal (or human) will begin to improve before you even get the positive test results.

I know of people, including a Vet who give their dogs a course of Doxycycline every year, even in the absence of symptoms.

There just may be a lesson here for the rest of us. Use products that repel or kill ticks. Check for ticks. If you experience symptoms of Lyme see a doctor. And remember, Doxycycline is cheap!

CJD, in pregnant or nursing dogs amoxicillin is usually used (for young dogs too).

12-Aug-14
Shes on Doxycycline and a pain killer and she is a totally different dog today. Yesterday she couldnt walk and today she is her normal self. I did hear about amoxicillin for pregnant and nursing dogs but I decided that the best thing right now is to not breed her until next cycle assuming she is ok. Thanks to all.

• Sitka Gear