WV Mountaineer 12-Aug-14
Farmall 12-Aug-14
gcoleman 12-Aug-14
Bennett2012 12-Aug-14
WV Mountaineer 13-Aug-14
Jim Casto Jr 13-Aug-14
Bennett2012 14-Aug-14
11-Aug-14
Was wondering if anybody has witnessed deer eating on poke stalk or whatever your name is for it just got done reading a little article from QDMA saying deer browse on the leaves but I have never seen it for myself but don't doubt it a bit they seem to eat lil bit of everything but my main ? Is how much nutritional value does it have? Would it be worth trying to salvage a few of the seeds later this year and putting down on the end of my plot to keep the neighbors from being able to see in next year once it starts getting up high?

12-Aug-14
I do not know the nutritional value, but there is a patch in the edge of my yard, and the deer eat the leaves down to the stalk every year. When the new ones grow back they eat them again. Something about them they like. I don't see where it would hurt anything to plant some seeds, but I can not say for sure.

12-Aug-14
I'm goin to spread seed at both end of power line right of way where my food plot is will make it hard for anybody to see in once it grows plus they can browse on the leaves goin to find out how healthy it is for them first I thought I seen where it said something like 32% protein if anything it should be good for antler growth

12-Aug-14
They love it. The berries too. When mast is lean, deer really key on it. Will move miles to get it in my experience and browse it all summer long etc.... I'm surprised it isn't already in that right of way. You might find out they like it lots better than the plot.

Ever tried the tender spring leaves fried in olive oil? Bacon grease is good too. But, it hurts my guts. Olive or coconut oil is good to fry it in to eat and good for you. God Bless

12-Aug-14
It's polk salad, or poke salad. Greens for poor folks. Google Tony Joe White, Polk Salad Annie. He can explain it better and it's a lot more fun.

12-Aug-14

gcoleman's embedded Photo
gcoleman's embedded Photo
Pic

12-Aug-14
Oh yeah that's another reason I'm going to take some of the seeds over there I love some good poke salad, greens, ramps anything that grows in the wild I like it for the taste plus it's cheap Haha in process of trying to get a ramp patch started now and as for poke salad Annie I have heard that every spring for as long as I can remember my dad sings it every year we would go get it or just see some growing and the pic that's posted pretty good reason to give it a try thanks

13-Aug-14
Good luck with the ramps. Be patient too. I finally achieved a decent enough patch here that I dig my wants from every spring. But, it took 15 years to do so. Put them in mature timber. They'll do a lot better with no ground cover. God Bless

13-Aug-14
I see deer eating pokeberries every year. They love the stuff.

14-Aug-14
Found a place up in richwood wv online it's a ramp farm ya can order some seeds or bulbs might go that route to help boost it up a lil bit

• Sitka Gear