CTCrow 18-Aug-14
Passinthru63 18-Aug-14
steve 18-Aug-14
Toonces 18-Aug-14
grizzlyadam 18-Aug-14
bb 18-Aug-14
steve 19-Aug-14
13-Aug-14
I have a 4 acre property next to a nature sanctuary with signs that say no hunting/hiking, etc...if I shot a deer and it runs off and dies there, am I allowed to go get it? Or do I have to call DEEP? Anyone have this issue in the past? Thanks.

13-Aug-14
You are not allowed on anyone private property without permission.

Th DEEP can't give you that permission unless the property is one they own. An Encon officer can try to ask for you, but that may or may not work.

Best bet is probably to talk to someone before the season, explain that you have the required written permission to hunt next door, and ask if you can have access to their property to recover game (should that become necessary). If they say yes, ask for it in writing, (or pull out a pre written letter saying they allow gam recovery, and ask that they sign it).

You might mention that you'll be happy to keep you eyes open for trespassers and poachers for them, and report anyone doing anything against the rules.

The hard part may be figuring out who to talk to, as it has to be someone with the authority to grant you permission.

Don't be surprised if they say no, and if they do, you'll have some choices to make. You may have to take that into account when choosing your stand sites.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

14-Aug-14
Wait till dark ! only kidding .Do what ace said there are people that have the authority I have had them sign for me .STEVE

14-Aug-14
Who owns the sanctuaries? The town or the state?

14-Aug-14
I just found the owners, a land trust, doesn't sound promising from reading the website :-( . But will still try and ask.

I think I will keep my stand where it as as deer travel to and from the sanctuary, if traveling from, I will shoot as they are most likely to keep traveling that way, correct? Then at least I have greater chances of recovery on my property.

If traveling to, I will let them pass.

14-Aug-14
Deer have a tendency to double back after being shot in my opinion hate to say that but they will most likely run back to the safety of the sanctuary do what is stated above and just make sure u take the best shot u can u never know what a hit deer will do.

14-Aug-14
A well hit deer will generally go less than 50 yards. Can you set up far enough from the property line so that they don't make it to the santuary if they run in that direction?

I had a thread a couple of years ago asking people in what direction deer run after they shoot them?

The answer was EVERYWHERE!

14-Aug-14
When archery shot; deer generally reverse course / return to where they came from.

14-Aug-14
If the sanctuary is generally open to the public, I think you would have a good argument for going to retrieve a dead deer on the sanctuary property, without your bow of course.

14-Aug-14
Did the law about hunting "CLOSE" to nature preserves/sanctuaries pass last year?

14-Aug-14
I have had just the opposite with fatally shot deer...they continue going in the direction they were traveling, then they do the crab walk, fall over...nighty-night.

14-Aug-14
put your bow down....grab deer....drag to the correct property as fast as possible....no one will even know it happen....gut it on the property that is legal to be on....

going 60 MPH is speeding too but you still do it

14-Aug-14
My stand is about 100 yrds from sanctuary

14-Aug-14
That's a good buffer zone. I wouldn't worry.

14-Aug-14
If you ask now, you reveal your intentions to hunt nearby, and alert them to your presence. I seriously doubt you can get permission in advance. More likely, they will tell you not to hunt there, regardless of it being legal. One hundred yards isn't much when a deer is running for its life. If you only hunt that spot in the evenings, you stand a better chance of not getting caught(in near darkness) on the property while dragging the deer back to where you are legally hunting. Never take your bow with you.

Last season I lost a great buck who ran downhill into a sanctuary. I suspect he had left that property to get to me. At the time I had no contact information for the land, would be entering and exiting across a busy road, had to wear the mandatory orange and he was close to two hundred pounds, which I would then have to drag UPHILL. I am still bummed about it, but, better shot placement wouldn't have put me in that position.

Go for it, do the best you can.

14-Aug-14
If it's open to the public, just leave your bow behind and retrieve the deer. You won't be trespassing and you aren't hunting.

14-Aug-14
thanks for all the input!

14-Aug-14
You need to look at how "hunting" is defined in CT. I would hunt, and if the land is open to the public I would retrieve.

14-Aug-14
Hunting is defined by having an arrow knocked on your bow.

14-Aug-14
Yeah but you would be trespassing even without a knocked arrow and also the pursuit of game.

15-Aug-14
if the best spot is on the property line....that is where I would be....no one will even know you are there...esp early season...slip in and slip out less attention the better so if one ever happened to die on the wrong side you can grab it quick....JMO

better to ask forgiveness than permission....

NO WARDEN wants a deer left.....so unless someone is raising a stink even if they caught you they might even help you drag

15-Aug-14
I agree with you jax. I would do the same.

15-Aug-14
I have a property that borders land trusts where there is no hunting allowed. I set 5 feet from the property line.

I shot a deer once and it ran just to die on someone's front yard.

I went and knock to get permission to drag my deer. I now have 2 properties that border land trust. When I asked permission to drag I told them where I was hunting and they went to talk to the land owner and asked him to tell me to please hunt their property too. Last year we had to ask permission from third neighbor to drag 2 deer. He was happy and said take'm all. Land owner #2 told me she would talk to her other 2 neighbors because they had a lot of deer damage as well.

Funny thing is neighbor #2 texts me every 2-3 hours to tell me to come in for coffee. Last year she texted me to let me know 4 deer were coming from the other side of the property. All she asked was from me not to shoot one specific deer. There was a spike that came all the way to her window and she liked him. He won't be a spike this year....

15-Aug-14
CtCrow

SHE, did you say SHE asked you in for "coffee"???

Just asking :) :)

That deserves 2 smileys.

15-Aug-14
It was a she and that's all I'll say without my attorney present.

15-Aug-14

15-Aug-14
Hahaha

16-Aug-14
A somewhat related topic to this one.

There's a piece of state land that is land locked by private land, but the blue trail runs across the private land right into the state land.

I called the DEP (few years ago before name change) and I asked 3 separate wardens if I could carry my bow on the trail with no arrows nocked, just as a I would in the car on a public road, to access the land.

They said it made sense, and the final word was try it and see what happens!! I asked, "What does that mean?" They said the court would decide and I said that doesn't work for me.

So even the state doesn't have the answers.

17-Aug-14
CtCrow,

My analysis of the situation is that you were repeatedly asked by the landowner to "shoot a doe" and refused. That is dereliction of duty so you better invite me in to do the job so you don't lose your hunting privileges ;-)

18-Aug-14
Deleted!

18-Aug-14
Ace nailed it, except DEEP may have better luck getting you permission then you yourself. With that said there was an incident last year or the year before down along the shore where a deer died on someone's property and they refused recovery, even to DEEP and they made a huge stink about it. It was covered in the news even.

As far as everyone speeds comment, the difference here is retrieving a deer is part of hunting and this would be a hunting violation, not just simple trespass. Which means if you got caught and someone wanted to push it you will get a hunting ticket. If you pay it or fight it and lose, you will most likely lose your hunting, fishing and trapping privileges. It is not the same as paying a speeding ticket. Paying a hunting ticket fine is the same as pleading guilty and most hunting violations result in loss of license. Just like in speeding, just because everyone was doing it doesn't mean people don't get caught.

From the hunting guide: "License Suspensions Remedial Hunter Ed Requirement

In accordance with Connecticut General Statute 26-61, payment of a fine, forfeiture of a bond or a plea or judgement of guilty for a fishing, hunting, or trapping violation will automatically result in the suspension of all fishing, hunting and trapping privileges including your fishing, hunting and trapping license."

Many years ago this exact thing happened to us. We did approach the land owner and he did not grant permission. We did track it to a point where it went across his yard. We gave up as it wasn't worth losing our license.

In the end it comes down to is it worth the potential aggrevation for you or not. Good luck.

18-Aug-14
here is what you do if they wont let you get your deer you just tell them you will keep shooting more that gets their attention worked for me .

18-Aug-14
How is it tresspassing if the property is open to the public?

I suppose there is always an argument to be made, but I think its a stretch to charge someone with tresspassing on land that is open to the public.

18-Aug-14
I hunt near a nature sanctuary. I called up the head honcho there and asked him some of these questions. He said if a deer dies on the land the last thing they want is for it to lay there rotting away so feel free to remove it. He also told me that if the shortest path from point A (parking) and point B (hunting) is through the preserve than there was no problem with that either. Get in touch with the people in charge, be nice, and find out their answers to your questions. Write their names down for future reference if needed. Last resort is if a deer dies there call DEEP and a CO will most likely take care of getting your deer for you. Follow the law, respect boundaries, and everything will most likely work out in your favor.

18-Aug-14
"As far as everyone speeds comment, the difference here is retrieving a deer is part of hunting and this would be a hunting violation, not just simple trespass. "

If you get stopped for speeding with a deer you just shot in the back of your truck, is that also a hunting violation?

19-Aug-14
Do you know if you hit a deer when it was crossing the street with your car and it ran thru someone's yard and you asked if you can retrieve it because you are a hunter and didn't want to see it go to waste most will say yes just make sure you change you clothes and put your bow away first .Get it ! Steve

• Sitka Gear