Onthehunt 15-Aug-14
CTCrow 15-Aug-14
bigbuckbob 15-Aug-14
Bloodtrail 15-Aug-14
Wild Bill 16-Aug-14
Wayniac 16-Aug-14
Passinthru63 18-Aug-14
15-Aug-14
Hi All - Looking for some input on a bow for my nephew. He just took the CT Gun hunting & bow hunting safety courses and passed with flying colors. I'll be helping my sis out with getting him a bow.

Not looking to go new unless I have to, and I am looking for something that may be able to grow with him. He's a decent sized kid - 5'6" @ age 13, and honestly between my family height and his Dad - I doubt he'll grow to more than 5'9". He tried to shoot mine and can't move it (I told him, but he wanted to try lol). Pretty confident he'll be fine with a 50-60 lb bow. Will be mostly whitetail, possibly Spring turkey.

I'm also not looking at this season, though I will take him shotgun for Jr Hunters week. Long story, but he blew his chance at me getting him a bow for his b'day in June when he screwed up his grades. I told him Sept starts a new school calendar, so if he does well & keeps his nose clean, we're looking at XMas.

FYI - his younger brother - age 9 - wants to hunt as soon as he can as well, so I'm thinking this may end up beiung a pass-down bow in 2-3 yrs.Othyerwsie - I'll use this experience when getting one for the lil guy.

So - I was thinking a used Mathews with 50-60lb limbs, where the Cams can be switched out. I've also heard some good things about the Diamond stuff. And I know ther eare a slew of weight and drawlength adjustable bows on teh market

Any suggestions with real world experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!

15-Aug-14
Diamond Infinity. They are very light and fully adjustable pull length and poundage which you can set yourself. My wife has hers at 35 lbs, my grandfather uses my bow at 40 lbs and I started with the diamond infinity after not shooting for 30 yrs set at 50 lbs. Pull length is also completely adjustable. I practiced thru the summer and had it set at 52 lbs last season. Got 4 deer with the bow at 18, 21, 22, and 23 yrds. three of four were full pass thrus and last was quartering away and went 3/4 of way in. The stock sight is garbage and it could use a silencer for hunting but for 30yds and less yard practice shoot it as is.

15-Aug-14
Both my kids started with Diamonds. I think that's always a good choice for beginners.

15-Aug-14
you might try a bow shop, like Halls to see if they have a used youth bow. There's usually a few around since kids out grow them so quickly, just like their clothes

15-Aug-14
Do not go with a bow that you have to change out cams etc. He will grow too fast to keep switching them out.

Get a bow that has an adjustable draw. Like others have said the Diamond line of bows is excellent. My son started with the Diamond Edge at age 12-13 and moved to the Diamond Outlaw last year. He killed deer with bow bows. You cannot go wrong with this kind of set up.

Good luck to you and the new hunter!

16-Aug-14
Be very careful not to overbow the kid. In youth, big does not always mean strong. You want to develop form and accuracy first. Those qualities support confidence.

I coach kids who are full of enthusiasm, to a point, one hour, where they continue shooting when tired. The drop in form and accuracy is noticeable. Learning becomes difficult as they try to muscle through and only re-enforce poor form and attention to detail issues. Of the ten in my group, only one shoots a thirty pound recurve.

I would suggest that you do not teach/coach in front of other siblings, and friends. Criticism, in the form of joking from them, goes deep and can become discouraging. In my group there is indeed social interaction, but, there is a different dynamic because they are mostly strangers apart from the group.

Coaching does not mean getting them where you want them to be, but helping them reach their goals. Most kids are into shooting, for fun. Hunting has more serious consequences because of the death of an animal. As you know, drawing down on game can be stressful. You might prepare youth better by having them kill and clean small game first, perhaps with a .22/shotgun.

"Long story, but he blew his chance at me getting him a bow for his b'day in June when he screwed up his grades."

Excellent move, actions speak louder than words. Accountability is very important for people handling weapons.

I wish you well in this effort.

16-Aug-14
Thanks for the input all! Yes- I have coached him in baseball as well, so I kind of understand what motivates or demotivates him. I have also showed him how to fish- initially just getting him on sunnies to stay motivated. He is very mature & patient. His younger brother has a bit to go though! Lol I have already told him that killing is way different than target shooting & he seems willing to try it. They approached me about trying to take their own game. He & his brother are both able to eat fish or crabs they have taken. So they get the concept, though killing a mammal is a different 'thing' altogether. I have also told him there is no shame if he decides not to take a shot, & we can just watch & enjoy the animals if that's what it turns into. I'll take a look at the Diamond stuff. Stay tuned ...

18-Aug-14
Late to the party but I second the diamond bows. as Mentioned something that has lots of draw weight and length growth without swapping out eccentrics is the way to go.

• Sitka Gear