Novemberforever 21-Aug-14
RutNut@work 21-Aug-14
razorhead 21-Aug-14
Zinger 21-Aug-14
Antler Whore 21-Aug-14
10orbetter 21-Aug-14
razorhead 22-Aug-14
15-Aug-14
Well we all can agree that its passage was all about money cant we? Well I was in Langlade County today visiting and stopped at three different big box stores with one being a sporting goods only. I was sorta shocked at the promos and displays being given. I only talked to one clerk and asked how sales have been and he said crazy! His take was the young deer will get hammered the first season because of the new toy being allowed to be played with.

Going to be interesting foe sure for sure. Can a cross bow be used during the youth hunt?

15-Aug-14
No we won't agree that it's all about money, IMO it's about more hunter opportunity. Yes sales are crazy right now, I wish I sold crossbows!, but anytime something new is allowed sales spike. Look at when concealed carry was made legal? Handgun sales shot right up.

I sat at Deer Fest last weekend and watched a whole bunch of crossbows get sold and don't think I saw one person that I thought was under 55 buy one.

I'm sure your minimum wage clerk is a biologist on the side! Young deer get hammered every year.

15-Aug-14
Its about the money.

the opportunity always existed for hunters to bowhunt since Roy Case.

15-Aug-14
Not opposed to crossbows, my having two rotator-cuff surgeries on each shoulder with only 60% recovery now has to use one to hunt when she loves to and be a part of it. With that all being said it is ans was about the money. Opportunity is the cover, sell more licenses and pad the WDNR Pockets. Noone even a supporter can deny this. What was being used worked, doctors permit and elderly. No need to change and they did for money. The rest is blowing smoke up our behinds!

15-Aug-14
Imo it was driven by a) More youth, women, gun only guys buying licenses. This ship has sailed, move on. This is like debating the NFL/AFL merger, seatbelt laws or carbs and 2 strokes.

15-Aug-14
Well said November by a guy with preeeemo private land and able to dictate who uses a crossbow and who doesn't.

Yes the ship has sailed but we can still discuss the oil slick in the harbor it left behind and how it may affect the ecology.

Zinger it is was all about money and you know that sitting in the booth you were in. Hence the hunter opportunity statement. I hope your fingers heal ringing up all the sales you had. :)

15-Aug-14
"and how it may affect the ecology."

The net affect remains to be seen. Young bucks will take the brunt of the new bolt crowd.Might see a drop in book entries going forward. The DNR controls total headcount via antlerless tags issued. I don't think the DNR cares how many 1.5yo forkies bite the dust as long as it brings in an extra $30 in fees.

16-Aug-14
I too agree it was all about money. One just needs to look back at how it all transpired. I do agree with November in that the net affect remains to be seen.

16-Aug-14
On that DNR subject- call in registration may allow the hunter already shady with their tag registration the comfort of not calling and we will never truly know if a deer was killed with the weapon the hunter says it was killed with.

Regardless of your political stance- How comfy is everyone on the DNR providing true deer kill facts or will fuzzy numbers could come into play?

Can a youth use a crossbow during the youth hunt?

16-Aug-14
Part of our local news the other day was about crossguns. A customer at the local archery shop was interviewed while shooting a crossgun for the first time. His only words were "it shoots just like a gun."

16-Aug-14
If it involved the elected or appointed by elected then "It's the economy (strike that)!! - money stupid"

16-Aug-14
Pasq, there are plenty of people today I would think that are not registering deer today. To me, the call in process basically allows people to tag a deer with say their spouse's (who is not present) tag and transport that deer because the shooter does not need to be there to have it registered. I don't think call in reg will affect reg #s in general because anyone who got a deer home to process themselves without it being registered would still do the same.

On the flip side, with Bonus Buck, people might just call in does that were not really shot to get additional buck tags.

Lots of ways for the numbers to be skewed.

16-Aug-14
Let's be honest, the passing of the xbow bill was about money and political favor. I don't mind the whole crossbow thing so much. But when people try to use the whole expanded hunter opportunity thing, that chaps my hide. Bow hunting was growing quite rapidly on it's own as it was.

Zinger, you wouldn't happen to be one of those profiting from this would you?

16-Aug-14
paquel and Rut, I have no financial interest in crossbows what so ever. I don't sell them, I just see how they are selling. The show I was at this weekend again most all the ones I saw being bought were by guys that looked to be over 55 years old. There were also a couple of pink camo youth ones sold as well. These weren't sold by me it's just what I saw.

As for the thing about it being about money how so? Sure manufactures and stores are making money but the state isn't going to make enough money to make any difference.

16-Aug-14
Crossbow manufacturers have pumped a lot of money into lobbying. Plus the NRA is on the crossbow bandwagon, and they do nothing for free. They are either seeing financial or political gain from their pro crossbow position.

All that said, I am hopeful that crossbows will not have a negative effect on archery season and the deer herd over all.

16-Aug-14
" but the state isn't going to make enough money to make any difference."

The DNR makes more license revenue on the added xbow hunters and the DNR could care less how many bucks tags are sold, bow,xbow,gun.The DNR just raised antlerless tags to $12 and $20 for an extra 2 million money grab.The DNR motivation is Mo Money flying under the heading of greater opportunities while raising the doe tag from $2 to $12 or $20 to put "value" back in the doe? ChaChing!

16-Aug-14
Fact , not one group of hunters in the 50 states asked for crossbows.

Fact, a few states are or have looked at their DNR's about kickbacks and bribes concerning crossbows.

Its all about money and nothing else. If you think dofferently your brainwashed.

18-Aug-14
Konk, I have talked to 5 shop owners and 3 shop managers. I know all of these guys pretty good so I know they don't exaggerate. They have all said crossbow business is through the roof. The interesting part is that they all say that a high percentage of these customers are gun hunters that want to hunt the rut.

18-Aug-14
Wasn't is Fred Bear that advocated gun hunters to become two season hunters?

18-Aug-14
Crossgun? I've never heard of one of those nor have I seen a season for them. Please do tell us more about them? Or are you trying to be funny by using a stupid word to make a bow sound like a gun?

18-Aug-14
Howatt, if I am not mistaken, don't you own 3 xbows and didn't your dad shoot a deer with one last year ;).

18-Aug-14
Howatt, really I'm the ignorant one? Not the one using a made up word because they are afraid of someone esle shooting "their" deer? A gun kills from shock through the use of a bullet propelled by the energy stored in the gun powder. A bow kills from bleeding caused by a arrow and broadhead being pushed through an animal by energy stored in the limbs and pulleys. Which one of these does a crossbow kill by?

Your compound bow is a lot more like a crossbow than it is like a real traditional bow.

You are right though that I'm on the short end of this discussion on here because many of the people on here are so snobby they put fly fishermen to shame!

18-Aug-14
I wonder how many of these newbies will be chopping a finger off when they forget to keep them out of the way of the string. It's easy to forget things in the heat of the moment.

18-Aug-14
Good one rut :-)

19-Aug-14
Im so surprised the amount of people jumping ship its all I hear about, Im really shocked

19-Aug-14
For those who like to call a crossbow a "crossgun". Lets use correct terminology. The crossbow was invented way before any gun. So therefore a crossbow is not mounted on a gun stock, a gun is mounted on a crossbow stock.

19-Aug-14
Howatt, seeing you just arrived here a couple weeks ago right after rickflare was kicked off, how would you even know who this Preacher guy is that I've been accused of being? I don't know who he is. I've posted pics of myself and kids here since I've joined a few months back. I do have some friends here. You tried the same story with your dad being killed by a drunk driver when you were rickflare. You have never been good with the truth ;)

19-Aug-14
Nice story again Howatt ;). You and the truth have always been like vinegar and water.

19-Aug-14
They will have a huge negative impact. Not basing my opinion on any science rather, gut feeling after shooting one at Deerfest. The gun hunters are going to be the big losers when so many bucks will be killed before gun season. The temptation to switch from a compound to the crossbow will be great when a guy gets frustrated at just being out of range of a big buck.

Had to laugh the other day while talking to the father of one of my football players. He is a deer hunter and asked what I thought about crossbows. I said I will never own one. Stunned, he began explaining that he only bought one because his shoulder is very painful and needed surgery. Yet, he is 15 years younger than me and was throwing 40 yard passes to his 10 year old son while talking to me. I didn't see him wince once.

Prediction, after one year they will either move the crossbow season later or allow them during gun. That is, if they have the sense God gave geese.

20-Aug-14
I read an article once that said that you will encounter the biggest deer of your bow hunting life and that it will more than likely be just outside of your comfortable shooting range. they were trying to stress that 20 yard practice is good. But learn to shoot out to 40 yards. and your coverage area expands greatly. REALLY easy to do with a crossbow. 40 yards is nothing to Whack & stack Em! with a crossbow. My brother just went out & bought one. Like a gun. U shoot 5-6 bolts. and that's all the practice for the season. I will bet against the prediction from 10orbetter. that being in two years it will become a fixture in the archery season. And if they shorten the season for the crossbow. Then they better make it from mid-sept. to end of October. Once the rut hits it's like hunting the prime of the rut with a Gun. Lots of big bucks will get wounded or go down due to extended range shooting. That is my prediction..

20-Aug-14
A prediction I have is that more nice bucks will be shot this year and many wounded and lost) by crossbow hunters that were formerly only gun hunters looking to hunt the rut. I can attest first hand that within 15 minutes most anyone that can shoot a gun can hit accurately with a crossbow. My fear is many of these individuals will not exercise the limitations of a crossbow and also that they don't possess the skills needed for game recovery shot with a broadhead. I have no problem with individuals with actual physical limitations using a crossbow as a means to hunt during archery season. I hope it doesn't take too long to change the crossbow season.

20-Aug-14
They sold our deer herd .. 24 bucks at a crack... prolly the single biggest blow to the herd ever administered by a politician..

Thanx..

Last spring I too talked with a pro shop owner from Langlade County at a deer ahow.... he said he will be selling pretty much all his entire archery inventory as non currents this winter on line... yet he can't get xguns in fast enough... he said guys are prepaying just to ensure they will have their rifle for Sept 13th...funny..most popular was the new PSE tactical that sells for a lot of jing... he said they can't make them fast enough..

Good bye WI archery season.. it was nice knowing you.

20-Aug-14
Optimism:

An ever-growing trait amongst the human species!

Said no one on Wisconsin bowsite!

20-Aug-14
Of course it was about the money... Still is about the money... In the future, it will also be about the money... What else would it be? Anyone saying anything else simply has their head in the sand. Certainly there are some side implications as well, but in the end money talks.

Sooo.... The point is? Let's sit around and flog this dead horse some more as it never gets old.

There will undoubtedly be an initial crossbow crowd draw to a certain sector, but I would guess that these same hunters will lose interest and the figures will settle at very indiscernible amounts within 5-6 years as the novelty is lost.

20-Aug-14
By 11/1 the DNR will know the trends and license sold for archery/crossbow and combo. The net #'s and net harvest will be interesting to see. Would the DNR do anything moving forward if 100,000 more licenses are sold? Yes, Smile.

20-Aug-14
I'm curious to see how many hunting after hours citations crosbows cause. I say that, because for almost all of them you have to shoot a bolt into the ground/target to de-cock it. Most people will not do this at the end of hours near their stand, so they will be walking out of the woods with a loaded weapon.

20-Aug-14
Very true .. Rut Nut.... and they pretty much all come with a scope... many even illuminated . Today's scopes gather plenty of light to shoot well after hours...plus on a real bow... you prolly have a peep that requires much more light to see thru to shoot. .

The entire deal is just a violators dream...

20-Aug-14
Helg brought up a great point with all the newbs never having bloodtrailed a broadhead hit. Huge learning curve. We will probably see many crossbow injuries with thumbs becoming nubs, and god forbid discharge accidents.

20-Aug-14
Oh.. you can bet there will be guys getting shot with xbows...How many will.leave it loaded loaded in yhe truck????that's a given..they were loosing fingers and getting shot before...multiply the user base your definitely going to be reading about some hum dingers

20-Aug-14
The sky is falling the sky is falling! I bet Michigan and Ohio archers said the same thing and last I checked they still had bow seasons.

Everything negative said about crossbows can also be said about compound shooters. Yes some crossbow guys will shoot beyond their effective range - just like some compound guys do. Yes they will wound some deer - just like compound guys do.

Having a bolt on your crossbow or an arrow on your string or a round in the chamber does not mean you're hunting after hours. There is no law that says I can't walk through the woods at anytime of the day or night with a loaded gun or bow. If you're sneaking through a cornfield after hours looking down the rows then I would say you're hunting, but just walking out isn't hunting. And even if that was a concern all they would have to do is remove the bolt and keep the crossbow cocked.

Yes optics are great at transmitting light (no optic "gathers" light) than they were before but the cheap POS scopes that come on crossbows are about the worst of the worst and I don't see many guys putting a $800+ scope on their crossbows. And if after hours shooting is a concern then the traditional guys should be the ones to worry about because they don't even use sights!

People will violate with crossbows just like they violate with compounds, recurves, long bows, rifles, shotguns, etc.

20-Aug-14
" There is no law that says I can't walk through the woods at anytime of the day or night with a loaded gun or bow." Really? Call your warden and have your checkbook handy.

20-Aug-14
And what law would they be breaking? If they're hunting after hours then yes it's illegal but if they're simply walking in or out or just walking around in the dark it's not hunting and therfore is not legal. If it was a warden could probably ticket 95% of gun hunters for having a round chambered before hunting hours. I know I chamber a round at the truck and I'm not going to be making noise chambering one at shooting time. Same for when bowhunting in the morning, the arrow gets nocked as soon as I'm in the tree.

Not saying some over zealous warden won't issue you a ticket but they would have to show that you were actually hunting and not just sitting there.

If you really want to get picky Wisconsin is an open carry state.

20-Aug-14
Worked on a video crew for the Mary Burke campaign. Had a chance to meet her, express my displeasure with the crossbow issue and she pledged that if elected she would revisit the crossbow issue because she understands there are sportsman against their use. Seems like a very moderate, common sense person to me. She said she was not a hunter and likely would never be one but, was willing to listen to my concerns.

20-Aug-14
Zinger - You nailed some interesting points!

November - Dont be so quick with your checkbook!

Zinger is right! You want to walk around with your bow or gun at night...knock your socks off. As long as your not engaged in actively hunting. Of course you can predator hunt at night and coon hunt during season as well. Open carry?

Nothing illegal.

Yes, what Duke has said is correct - how long should we beat this dead horse?

The season is upon us, let's keep our ears and eyes open and see what happens next!

21-Aug-14
The season is darn near here. Let's try to call a truce, and hope it lasts longer than the Isreal/Hamas truce does!

10orbetter, you can't be serious. Burke, and most all other politicians, will say anything when they're running for office. She's already forgotten you and your concern. Does anyone know where she stands on hunting and gun control? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

21-Aug-14
Got this week's fleetfarm flyer... 15 different xbows packages pictured on sale.. plus another entire page devoted to bolts and accessories...

There is no way it was about the money...LMAO...no way..

21-Aug-14
"Worked on a video crew for the Mary Burke campaign. Had a chance to meet her, express my displeasure with the crossbow issue and she pledged that if elected she would revisit the crossbow issue because she understands there are sportsman against their use".

What exactly will she do to re-vist the issue? How will she as govenor undo crossbow use?

That is too funny LOL

21-Aug-14
Konk, say what you want but just having a loaded weapon does not mean I'm hunting. I don't need a reason to have a loaded weapon. Legally I could walk down the street tonight with a loaded rifle or bow and I'm not hunting. Just because you're in the woods doesn't change that. And if it's dark out it would be pretty hard for the warden to say you're hunting if you can't see 10 feet in front of you.

21-Aug-14
" And if it's dark out it would be pretty hard for the warden to say you're hunting if you can't see 10 feet in front of you."

Exactly why guns/bows/xbows need to be unloaded for safety reasons as well.Chambering a round at the truck and walking in at dark thirty is dangerous and illegal.Name a gun that can't be chambered quieter then the noise made walking in? So is knocking an arrow in the tree well before/after legal shooting time. Ask your local warden before You get pinched.Walking down main street Shawano, open carry like Yosemite Sam is not the same legally. Simply call the DNR hotline or ask your warden. From a safety standpoint alone nobody is walking in the dark with me with a loaded gun or xbow.

21-Aug-14
Zinger is partially right as the warden has to prove intent. However if it was as cut and dried as he is implying. There would be a lot fewer citations issued for hunting before/after hours.

21-Aug-14
November +1

21-Aug-14
Remington 7400 and 7600 series, AR-10's, the list could go on. So it's dangerous for me to walk in the woods with a loaded rifle but I can walk around all year with a 1911 on my side and that's safer? Forgive me for not following that logic. And it's not illegal!!!! Plus there is no reason for a warden to check if it's loaded or not and they don't neccisarilly have the right to check if it is.

I think it's safer to load it in the light of the truck (outside the truck of course) that it is to try to do it in the dark in a treestand. And again IT'S NOT ILLEGAL!!!!

I don't see a reason why one would have a bolt in a crossbow while walking in or out as it's so easy and quite to load and unload but if they want to I say go ahead because IT'S NOT ILLEGAL!!!!

And why isn't it the sale wether it's in the woods or on the street? Take the whole DNR thing out of it and can a person without a hunting liscense go for a walk in the woods tonight with a loaded gun? Of course they can, the DNR really doesn't even have authority on it because he's not hunting..

21-Aug-14
You see??? Folks will bend the rules anyway they see fit...LOL. ..that's why Deer hunting in WI is over for archers.... it's over...They will never pull the xbows season once they have that revenue...

Like it or not.....Bow season in WI is over never to return..and there is not a thing any of us can do about it but Hunt other states...

Thanx to idiots caving in ..they started the ball rolling for lobby support years ago on other issues of their special interest groups ....they hated bowhunters and our long season.. so they screwed us out of it.

21-Aug-14
Huntfish43, I don't have an answer for that.Am I mistaken but, didn't our current governor sign the bill that allowed for a crossbow season. I just approached my conversation with an open mind. She didn't give me one and I didn't press her given the fact I was there to do a job. If Governor Walker needed to sign off on the crossbow season, it would stand to reason that the next governor could repeal it.

Howatt, so what did I fall for? Having an open dialogue with another person that happens to be running for governor? Okay, if you say so. See the difference between you and me is I am open minded enough to sit down and talk to both candidates and actually listen. Even though I genuinely think Walker is a dick and am admittedly skeptical of Mary Burke's intensions as a potential governor, I will listen to both of them given the opportunity. H o w a t t, l i s t e n i n g i s a s k i l l. I hope I said that slowly enough for you. You see, I am not a member of either any political party or a blind follower of anyone. You should try it sometime, not being a blind follower that is, it is very liberating. Oh, there I go using part of that word again, sorry. Take a blood pressure pill with a Jack and Coke and you will be fine.

22-Aug-14
Antler Whore - How can archery hunting be over? Why we are getting ready for a great season..... Sure in the far north, its going to be tough, but to get a decent buck, its always been tough. You choose the area you want to hunt, no one forces you there....

I can guarantee you, during the week, I am going to see nobody, with no doe tags, I can assure you, the pressure will be lite to none......

I have been invited down to hunt SW Wis this year, I am going to take a doe killing trip to Waupaca Co this year, and who knows what else......

I had to cancel my plans for elk, because of the expenses on the cabin, but all in all, deer hunting is always fun.......

If I can, I am going to go to SD, to chase deer, but we will see......

And I hunt Michigan, so its all good.........

I am going to see how many x bowers, I actually see this year, I am sure it is not going to be many.......

I think xbows are going to be mostly kids hunting on private land, to get into the sport, and old men, hunting close to the truck or house.... Either way its not going to impact the season..........

• Sitka Gear