Rut Nut 18-Aug-14
Pappy 30-Aug-14
Dale Miller 04-Sep-14
Outbackbob48 05-Sep-14
Rut Nut 05-Sep-14
wolfy 06-Sep-14
dougell 10-Sep-14
16-Aug-14
Just spent the day helping to instruct the Bow Hunter Education course offered here around the Harrisburg area. Really great to work with some incredibly knowledgeable bow hunter instructors. Great group from the Gettysburg area helped and are looking to organize a course closer to their area. Another great thing was the number of youngsters and especially the number of young ladies. I think about 1/3 of the class was female. We had a full class of 30+, The course was an all-day event with both classroom instruction and really great field experience. I highly recommend considering becoming an instructor. I know some of the hunters who post on this site have the experience and knowledge to help introduce others to what we enjoy so much. It was a rewarding volunteer experience.

17-Aug-14
Several of us used to be instructors that taught the course through the NBEF. It was a fantastic course back at that time. Then the PGC got involved with it...

17-Aug-14
I have no idea how different it is now compared to back when you taught it as this was my first time, but like I said it was a great time, and really fun to feel like I was giving back to bow hunting and helping others learn more and get involved in bow hunting. This is NOT a required course for bow hunters in PA and to see so many people willing to spend almost 10 hours of a Saturday teaching and learning about bow hunting was great. I think it is a great way to help preserve, promote, and protect bowhunting in PA-

I got my training on instructing from the PGC, and the PGC did provide the instructors with a curriculum and plenty of stuff to use as visual aids and help with our field experience activities. They also provided projectors and such. A local WCO reviewed the bow hunting regulations and laws and was very helpful in answering questions. I don't feel the PGC detracted from our course but then again I have nothing to compare it to.

I know it got me totally fired up for the upcoming season. Who wouldn't enjoy talking about bow hunting all day and doing "hands-on" bow hunting stuff. I was able to meet over 30 people who I never knew before that really like bow hunting and I hope I see many of them again.

17-Aug-14
Glad to hear you liked it!:)

18-Aug-14
Nice!

I took the course after I had been bowhunting about 10 years. Learned a lot more than I thought I would. Was a great course taught by some really knowledgable folks. Was the reason I went to a 5 point safety harness. Used a single chest strap before that, but got to try a SOP's harness there and realized how much better those were.

I recommend it to all bowhunters.

30-Aug-14
Perry and I took the course together. Met each other the first nite. At that time the course was a Friday evening and all day Saturday. Great course with great instructors. I too was introduced to the SOP harness and have used it ever since.

04-Sep-14
I also taught under the old NBEF, since about 1982. When the PGC first got involved it was a vast improvement with better materials, supplies, and a good network of instructors.

Then with the big push to "serve the consumer" it became even more standardized and "streamlined" and many instructors felt their experience and contributions were no longer necessary. Whether it is general education or hunter or bowhunter education, "teaching to the test" is not education, it is merely certification.

And ironically, the PGC is still wanting more classes in September, October and November because that is when the "consumers" are looking to get certified. It is about personal responsibility, if you want to hunt in the fall, plan ahead, get certified in the spring or summer, and don't expect hunters to drop everything to cater to your lack of planning.

Bowhunters, hunters, even crossbowhunters have other "priorities" in October and November.

05-Sep-14
Bob and Dale x 3.Once the PGC got involved things have taken a downward spiral. Just my .02 worth. Bob

05-Sep-14
Pappy- yes! That was many many moons ago! ;-)

06-Sep-14
Any bowhunter courses close to sunburn Pa? I know someone who planed to hunt N.Y. but needs to take the course to get his license.

10-Sep-14
I took the old one as a one credit phys-ed class at PSU in 1988.I thought it was pretty good but since it lasted 26 weeks,there was a lot more personal involvement.Since then I've sat through the class about 4 more times.I was involved with a semi-controlled deer hunt at the time and we required the certification.Dale Miller and a couple other instructors were gracious enough to come out the first time.I personally felt they did a very good job and I thought the course was certainly worthwhile for anyone to take.In fact,I feel it should be mandatory.There were some thing like orienteering that could have been left out but overall,a worthwhile experience.I considered being an instructor at the time but decided not to because of some personal reasons.Big thumbs up to those who do dedicate their time to give back.

• Sitka Gear