Sitka Gear
It's looking and smelling like FALL! : )
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 17-Aug-14
Dennis Razza 17-Aug-14
roger 17-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 17-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 17-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 17-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 17-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 17-Aug-14
DaleHajas 17-Aug-14
hawkeye in PA 17-Aug-14
Ben Farmer 17-Aug-14
Jeff Durnell 17-Aug-14
Rut Nut 18-Aug-14
HARRY CARRY 18-Aug-14
Jeff Durnell 18-Aug-14
roger 18-Aug-14
17-Aug-14
Anybody else notice it? With the cool weather, it is really smelling like FALL. Also noticed yesterday that the black birch leaves are turning and falling already! Soon the ferns will start dying and thinks will really get going. Won't be long now! : )

17-Aug-14
I don't think I remember an early august with a bite in the air like this. Definitely makes it feel close.

17-Aug-14
Coolest August that I can remember anyway......really not much of a summer and not that I'm complaining. 90*F+ never impressed me at all. Yep, we have leaves turning up here at the moment and that started 2 weeks ago. My teenagers went to the county fair the other night, everyone all bundled up in sweats and hats. I fished The Conequenessing Creek last night for channel 'cats, but did no good......maybe a bit too cold? Fall is my favorite season by far, but I can wait; if age has taught me anything it's that it will be here soon enough, just about the same time as it has showed up the last 44 years.......doubt that's going to change this year. :)

Junior is shooting his bow and looking fantastic doing it. He's grown a full 4" since last fall and wears the same shoe size as the old man now. I had to add 2" to his bow's draw length and he came up 5# too......guess being 14 will do that. :) His stands are right where we left them, minus one that someone stole. There is nothing like watching the sunrise from a leafless oak grove on a 30*F morning. Took two consecutive weeks of vacation this year starting late October. I'm gonna do some hunting for whatever's in season and hopefully go visit a friend for a few days and do the same down there. It's all good....

17-Aug-14

HARRY  CARRY's embedded Photo
Was out on the Great Allegheny Passageway Rails-To-Trails from Confluence up river (Castleman) yesterday on my bike while Marathon Gal was jogging 14 miles. We started at the Confluence start area, and not 10 minutes in, as we approached the old trestle-bridge that spans the river, we came across this!!! An "almost adult" Golden Eagle! He had no intentions of us bothering him; when we were 2 feet away, he simply flew to another part of the bridge!

Yes, the air was cool...it was 48 when we started, and the leaves were starting to take that first turn. The deer we encountered were a bit more jumpy than usual, and the aromas from the woods had that "end of season" waft to them.

17-Aug-14

17-Aug-14

17-Aug-14

17-Aug-14

17-Aug-14
Harry you should be able to rotate those pics. Course that's maybe the way you see life:).

17-Aug-14
LOL Dale The voices keeps it in perspective. Nice pics Randy!

17-Aug-14
I'm loving this weather!! I work in a steel mill, I'll take all the cool weather I can get!!:)

17-Aug-14
More appreciation from a steel mill worker. I worked 96 hours last week, mostly inspecting overhead cranes... which means I'm crawling around in the rafters and girders overtop of huge furnaces holding 1500 degrees. When it's 90 degrees outside and high humidity? Forget about it. I've seen it so hot up there you couldn't touch the metal handrailing with bare skin. I'll take cool weather all summer long.

More years than not, there is a time when I go out in the morning and the smell of fall is in the air. I'm not sure how to describe it... it just smells like autumn... that dank, earthy scent. I haven't yet caught that wiff this year, but it's close.

18-Aug-14
Nice pics, Harry! That must have been really cool! :)

Speaking of cool...............it was 46 at the house Fri. morning and 44 a few miles down the road.

Noticed this morning some of the ferns are starting to die off.

18-Aug-14
Jeff, over along the trails, where we were between Confluence and "out there" in Somerset County, the earthy scent is very prominent, and not just in random locations. This weekend was the first weekend we noticed it.....

18-Aug-14
Nice! Here she comes.

18-Aug-14
Fall smells like Witch Hazel to me.......Anyone else think so too?

• Sitka Gear