Antler Whore 23-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 24-Aug-14
Antler Whore 24-Aug-14
Antler Whore 24-Aug-14
RUGER1022 24-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 24-Aug-14
RUGER1022 24-Aug-14
20-Aug-14
Now that we can not do a darn thing about the invasion of X bows into our archery season..let's make a guess and see who can get the closest to the total number of Wisconsin X bow license sales for this introductory season..all for fun...Please add nonresident and resident together.. post your guess and in January or so we should be able to verify a winner. Winner...chicken dinner.

1 guess per handle please...I will start with 187,214 total X bow tags sold is my guess.

20-Aug-14
You must include and combo licenses as xbow as well. I can see guys buying the combo for multiple reasons,:)

My swag is 59,669 xbow and combo licenses are sold and 25,000 less archery licenses sold for a net 35,000 more non gun licenses sold. Buck harvest pre gun jumps by 10,000. The Badgers go 8-4, Packers win the SB,MU drops to D-2 hoops,Door county becomes a wetland due to climate change.The feds ban all fish frys for health concerns and provide free Tofu to the masses. Nostra Dam Us........

20-Aug-14
What is a "combo" license?

20-Aug-14
For $3 you can buy an archery/xbow combo. Still only 1 buck tag but you can then use either weapon.

20-Aug-14
I believe there will be a shift of about 50% to the crossbow from archery and an additional 20 k gun hunters will buy a crossbow permit. The pre gun deer buck kill will jump 30%. And, there is something that can be done about crossbows, vote your displeasure on election day. Send a message to the politicians.

20-Aug-14
TOOOO MANY

21-Aug-14
Damn November - every so often...not too often however - ya make me laugh! Funny post!

Pasq - he snuck one in on ya!

21-Aug-14
Funny shtuff Nov...

21-Aug-14
48,444 crossbow and combo combined

21-Aug-14
I really have no guess but I wish they would have people complete a small survey the first year or two when purchasing an xbow license. Questions like:

- Have you hunted during archery season in WI with a crossbow in the past?

- Have you hunted during archery season in WI with a vertical bow in the past?

- Are you purchasing a vertical bow license too?

Those questions would give us a better idea on how many crossbow licenses are net new hunters during archery season.

Kill #s can easily be skewed with the ability to spend the $3 for the other "license". Vertical bowhunters might want the xbow numbers to be inflated and could use that tag and vice versa, xbow hunters might want their numbers reduced and could use the other tag.

21-Aug-14
I agree, lots of guys will claim a vertical bow harvest with Dad's 1984 Oneida screaming Eagle vs. the shiny new xbow they just bought.How many here will hunt vertical one day and xbow another? It's a $3 get out of joke jail pass imo.The real xbow harvest will get more skewed next year with online registration as well.

21-Aug-14
I had never heard it referred to as a combo license. It is correct that the first of either an archery or a crossbow license will cost full price, while adding the other is only an extra $3.00. In any event, and regardless the cost, the crossbow license is a separate license from the archery license and will be accounted for independently from the archery license.

I have no guess at numbers but if we are at all similar to MI, we can expect somewhere around 50,000 crossbow licenses with a very small net gain in new hunter recruitment.

As happy stated, numbers could be skewed by the illegal use of a tag but are there really that many hunters willing to break the law simply to try and skew numbers? Personally, I don't think so.

21-Aug-14
"hunters willing to break the law simply to try and skew numbers?" That wouldn't be the motivation. Possible book entry and saving face in his peer group come to mind. Again, anyone here paying the $3 for the both weapon option?

Here's the slippery slope from a peer group standpoint. A guy buys an xbow for da wife and kid. Hey, this shoots great, may as well get a $3 tag just in case I gotta take out a wounded one from da wife.Vertical bow now collects dust and of course his buck will be shot with the vertical. How many flyfisherman admit to using a strike indicator(bobber)?

21-Aug-14
I would like to see one more question, either when buying the crossbow license or when registering a crossbow kill. Would you have been eligible to hunt with a crossbow based on age or disability?

I guess the state could easily calculate the age eligible hunters under each license type.

21-Aug-14
Great ? Jeff as now any disabled xbow hunter prior will be lumped into the xbow license sales. I know 15 Wisconsin bowhunters, 2 of which are disabled and have been using an xbow for decades now. The true net xbow sale number would have to be minus last years disabled permits. How many disabled xbow permits were issued last year? 5,000? 25,000? Only the DNR knows this number. So this sets up a classic massaging of numbers to fit a narrative. Xbows a huge hit! 50,000 licenses sold!(Shhh, 25,000 were prior disabled permits anyway) or Xbow license sales small less the prior disabled permit holders.

21-Aug-14
The question -

- Have you hunted during archery season in WI with a crossbow in the past?

Would cover those previously approved for xbows but not new hunters who fit that criteria. Age is easy enough to determine but they would not have the disability information.

21-Aug-14
"we can expect somewhere around 50,000 crossbow licenses with a very small net gain in new hunter recruitment."

How can that be, the main reason crossbows were passed was all the new hunter recruitment. I say this sarcastically.

21-Aug-14
36k xgun tags. 25k combo's

Will we see a drop in Archery only tags this year ? if so by how much ?

21-Aug-14
Last season I was having vision problems and being over 65 in order to hunt I bought a xbow with a scope. After eye surgery in Jan. I can now see good enough to shoot my vertical bow again. This brings up a question I have. If I buy a regular archery license and again have vision problems can I then buy the $3 combo or do they have to be purchased at the same time?

21-Aug-14
I am 73 and I have both licenses,they come that way with a Patron's

22-Aug-14
Hmm, including both licenses with a patrons licenses. Another way to cloud the statistics. Now that makes no sense.

Novemberforever writes: "How many disabled xbow permits were issued last year?"

Problem is the state would not even have that data. They might know how many 'new' applications were approved last year and they might know how many permits issued in the past were still within their expiration window last year. Then they might be able to cross reference all those with who bought an archery license last year but all that will never happen. The state is doing everything they can to cover up that data with multiple coats of camo paint.

22-Aug-14
"I am 73 and I have both licenses,they come that way with a Patron's "

Yes, the Patron's licenses automatically skews the real numbers.

22-Aug-14
Red Club you better check that again. I have a CP license. The way I look at it, if you want to use the x bow, you still need a 3.00 addition, I may be wrong but I think you still need the 3.00 addition

22-Aug-14
The CP license does include the crossbow. But it just has the one tag for an "Archery" Buck. So the only way to record that you shot a deer with a crossbow will be with the registration stub.

22-Aug-14
I may end up being one of the crossbow guys. Had a pretty bad mishap at work, I will know after I see the ortho doc.

22-Aug-14
75K Xbow licenses. I suspect only a small drop in archery licenses. I think it would be much higher if the initial investment wasn't so great. This makes it a real commitment for the gun hunters.

23-Aug-14
I really don't see a huge amount of archers going to xguns...but even 5% is a lot of Xbows for real bows..

A xbows package is far cheaper than a real bow package

I think this will lure guys much more then expected

Top of the line real bow will run you 700 bucks plus.. just for the bow .. add the accessories like a sight rest and stab that are not required with the xbow...and your in the 1000-1200 buck range for a new real bow..

You can buy 2 scoped xguns complete packages at fleetfarm for that kinda jing..

I can see a couple hundred thousand xgunners easy

24-Aug-14
Not fair to compare price on a cheapo fleet farm xbow with top of the line vertical bow. You are going to spend $800 for a decent xbow package deal and up around $2700 for a top of the line package. Besides I bet that a lot of the people that plan to xbow hunt already have a vertical bow of some sort. So, it is really only the xbow price that is meaningful. But yes, xbow price is going to keep the numbers down initially, it will take several years before we have a good idea how many new crossover xbow hunters there are.

24-Aug-14
Totally fair...complete packages in the 500.00 range will be the top sellers..and is turnkey... you can't buy even a decent bow and outfit it for that...by far it is cheaper for guys to get into a xbow then a real bow..

That fuels more kids ....more new hunters to go to the xbow over a real bow to start.i just think it is a big factor in choosing to hunt the archery season for a newbie and will add more xbow hunters and cost us future bowhunters.

24-Aug-14
Guess the total numbers will set us all straight..

24-Aug-14
Wag 45,000

Jeff, I was at Dunhams last last week looking at an AR and saw 2 crossbows purchased. The prices eere $ 129 and 299 . Its going to be a long year for the Deer. Geez.

24-Aug-14
Holey crap, at that price they gotta be junk. But maybe pushing a lot of cheap junk might convince newbies that xbows are not that great to use.

By the way Ruger, don't just look at AR, buy it! DPMS had a factory sale on Magpul Gen 2, 30 round mags for $10 each if you are interested. One good thing about having a neighbor that tried to shoot us is that the wife lets me buy any guns that I want now. He will be geting out of prison in a several months, I hope I don't need any of my new purchases.

24-Aug-14
Jeff, I bought the gun. A Bushmaster with a Bushnell red dot for 599 after discounts and rebates . I ' ll trick it out.

I 'm concerned about cheap crossbows flinging bolt all over the woods.

• Sitka Gear