razorhead 22-Aug-14
razorhead 23-Aug-14
joe buck 23-Aug-14
rjn 23-Aug-14
Bloodtrail 23-Aug-14
razorhead 24-Aug-14
Jeff in MN 24-Aug-14
22-Aug-14
I have an open mind. Put all the biases aside. Lets talk Hunting Tips. Lets share, information that works. Regardless if you hunt farms or big woods, what tips do you have, to take that buck......

I don't care if you bait or not, if you have food plots or just get it done on the ground, on your own, what tips, would you share with all of us......

The best part of a site like this, is all the knowledge that is out there, and you bet, I want to pick your minds, since I can always learn something...........

22-Aug-14
Of my hunting 40, 27 are woods. I rake a path right down the middle of the woods. Every buck that hits that path follows it at some juncture. One week before I intend to sit in my best stand I freshen the path and rake down to black dirt. I'm convinced they love the silence of it.

22-Aug-14
Enjoy your time in the woods and give thanks to God for all the goodness he has given us via the trees, plants, birds, squirrels, etc. A kill is secondary to it all with the proper perspective.

During early season, hunt evenings focusing on food sources. As the rut approaches, start adding mornings and use calls more. In early rut and lockdown, consider all day hunts with rattling and calling. Post rut, focus on food sources again. Have fun, first and foremost.

22-Aug-14
One from the "top ten" - Take a kid hunting!

22-Aug-14
Use a safety harness when in a tree stand.

22-Aug-14
Not only use a safety harness but also use a life line so you're always connected.

22-Aug-14
Zinger +1

A friend of mine took a bad fall while stepping from his steps to the stand. That is THE highest risk part of tree hunting. He now uses a life line.

I know I should use one too but so far I have not followed my own advice on this.

22-Aug-14
Agree lifeline would be my tip. It allows you to hunt another day :)

Thought I would hate them but now after using them I love it. I have 9 stands setup this way. Hoping to get more for the rest of my stands......

22-Aug-14
It's to windy, it's to rainy, it's to early, it's to whatever... I always say you can't shoot a deer while sitting on the living room couch. I try to be in the woods as much as possible regardless of circumstances.

22-Aug-14
Based on my trail camera data, Tuesday's and Wednesday's are the best days to see daytime movements.

22-Aug-14

Jeff in MN's Link
Here is a link on how to make a lifeline on your own. Not that hard.

22-Aug-14
Scout hard in the summer. I only go out during high winds or good rains.

Opening day of archery. Rattle lightly every hour with small horns. The bucks have lost their velvet and the young bucks are doing a little sparing . Twice I have had mature bucks walk in to remine the kids who the boss is.

22-Aug-14
Scout hard in the summer. I only go out during high winds or good rains.

Opening day of archery. Rattle lightly every hour with small horns. The bucks have lost their velvet and the young bucks are doing a little sparing . Twice I have had mature bucks walk in to remine the kids who the boss is.

22-Aug-14
Well I will give out some of my tips. These tips have worked. Nothing is guaranteed, but these have been tested by me.........

#1 I am very careful not to introduce scents into my areas. However when I do, this is the most succesful way I have layed down a scent trail.

I use fresh, clean, boiled clean, wooden clothes pins, the kind that have the spring. I use my gloves, disposables or my trapping gloves. I lay out my line, by dipping the clothes pin, in the scent, and clipping the pins, as I go along, and get to my spot, be it the ground or the tree stand.

The advantage I have found, is this gets the scent, up off the ground, better chance to catch his nose..........

When I leave, I simply take them out with me, LEAVING, no scent behind, like you would do with a ground drag etc.

This year I am going to film, more than hunt, I want to show, how this works well at times........

22-Aug-14
Another tip ...... I solo hunt alot, can not find guys my age that want to hunt much,,,, ha ha. I am very mobile, hunt alot of areas, so what I need, I have to carry.......

This tip has worked for me also in South Dakota, but too much wind is no good.....

I use Toilet Paper, and I tack it to a small tree. The idea is for deer, to think its another deers tail, and the motion, makes them curious......

I also love to decoy hunt, that info for another time, but the TP trick has worked a few times, it has caught their attention enough, to turn them, and bring them in....... I have only had small bucks come in, so that is all I can say, but sometimes I use it......

23-Aug-14
Another tip - I use a cloth bow case. It weighs nothing, rolls up in the pack. I use it, so when I come out at night, the bow is covered, and prevents the string and such, getting hung up, on the brush....

Some of my spots are 45 minutes in. Shooting time ends, it is well after dark, when I come out. Sometimes, I just want to sit on the beaver dam, and listen to the coyotes howl, and look at the stars, so when I get out, its well after shooting time....

One night I was checked. I never see a warden, but this guy saw the truck, so he just set up to watch. As I came out, headlamp on, he checked me. everything was square. He said that was a good idea with the cloth case, he knew I was not hunting after hours........

23-Aug-14
At the moment of truth, take your time and pick a spot.

23-Aug-14
Only hunt certain areas when conditions are right. Spray the bottom of your boots. Hunt mornings during rut, go early and stay late.

23-Aug-14
Razor - Your on a roll man!!

24-Aug-14
I feel stupid trying to keep my own thread alive, but what the heck, its just trying to have fun..........

Another Tip - Tried and true, it has served me well especially during late season....... PIT BLIND.....

Now I got into this in the late 80's left it alone for over 10 years, rekindiled in the 90's.......

Now this is a blind that is best made in the spring. You will need a shovel, spade and post hold digger. Also it takes alot of work.....

You need to have alot of faith in the spot, or be a heavy baiter, of which I am not......

Dig the hole 4 feet deep, and 4 feet wide. then the trick is, brush in the pit blind from BEHIND. What you want to build is a rabbit hole. You sit in that, and your bow should be clearing just at the line of the hole. You might have to make it bigger, depending on your size.

You want it, just big enough to fit yourself into. Unlike a commercial blind, that hole they see does not seem to bother them. Build yourself a top also........

Did I tell you its alot of work.... But it can be a great blind. In the winter, you can have a small heater down on the floor/ground area.......

I have two like this set up, in transitional areas. Those areas, where I hunt, are those with at least 3 types of cover, joining, and lots of old rubs, an area, the deer come into, all the time.....

24-Aug-14
Just watched a Shockey episode where Jim was hunting what was basically a pit blind with a roof that was his dad's stand in the past. Family land in Saskatchewan.

• Sitka Gear