MoBioBowman 12-Sep-14
10orbetter 12-Sep-14
smokey 12-Sep-14
10orbetter 12-Sep-14
Joe 13-Sep-14
smokey 13-Sep-14
live2hunt 13-Sep-14
22-Aug-14
So I thought we needed an actual hunting type thread. So who's got everything ready for bow season? I am far from it. I have had a very busy summer on weekends and super busy at work during the week. planned on going down to our land in Pierce county next Thursday and mowing trails and making sure the camper was good to go. But was involved in what should have been an avoidable accident at work. Yeah I'm a little bitter that someone else's stupidity injured me.

Anyway, are you guys good to go, almost, or not even close?

22-Aug-14
I am, 2 weeks from Elk hunting,Crossbow is all set with peep sights. I have been biking 3 hours a day and walking hills. Legs are fine Shoulders different story. I can't climb like I could when I was in my 60's but still will try. All camping stuff is ready cookies,pulled pork,BBq Chicken all done. We will be taking a freezer and Honda Generator. So have a few comforts. Just my Son-in -law and myself and he has only one arm. So it will be tough but it is Real hunting

22-Aug-14
Took my 6yr old son for an atv ride on Wednesday. Not 500 yards from my stand we seen a beautiful 130" 8ptr in velvet at 15 yards. Now im really pumped!

22-Aug-14
Redclub - GOOD for you man! Wishing you two guys all the very best for a safe and sucessful hunt!

Remember - we need two things! Pictures and details!!

Good luck!

Bowhunting starts early for me this year! Ready for bears on the opener!

23-Aug-14
I have a few rut stands to get up yet otherwise I am ready. Can't wait!!!

23-Aug-14
Always ready. It has been a strange summer though with a lot less scouting and placing cameras but then there was a time I did not use cameras so no problem. I will be checking some today. My practice is a little less but it seems like I am still shooting nice groups. Looking forward to getting out there just to be there. Lack of money will make em shift my hunting spots closer to home more and not as much near my old National Forest sites.

Redclub, good to hear you are still at it and especially the biking. Good luck to you.

23-Aug-14
I am busy with the cabin, and its expenses are more than I thought they would be, isn't that always the way, ha ha ha..

since I had to cancel my elk plans, I have to get the cabin done the way I want, so the wife is happy... Plus I will be in the place till next spring again, so work must go non stop......

The bow and pack are always ready.. Oh how I am looking forward of catching late Sept brook trout, checking on everyone on how they are doing on bears, and getting my boots on the ground, to check old and new hunting spots....

23-Aug-14

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
I'm always ready. Probably won't jump to be out opening day tho.

This guy is hanging around where I could get him. I need to see more recent pics to decide on him. Not sure if he is the same buck with 4 points on each side but no eye guards. Can't tell, this one could be that same deer.

24-Aug-14
Bloodtrail,Smokey Thanks, I have had a lot of luck on Elk with a rifle and ML,but never with a bow,hopefully that will change. I always worry about getting one out especially when I go by myself but not this year I will worry when I/if get one down.

24-Aug-14
Bloodtrail,Smokey Thanks, I have had a lot of luck on Elk with a rifle and ML,but never with a bow,hopefully that will change. I always worry about getting one out especially when I go by myself but not this year I will worry when I/if get one down.

24-Aug-14
Redclub, sounds pretty exciting be sure to keep us updated on your hunt when you are able to.

24-Aug-14
Im ready to go just need to get my license and wait for opening day!

24-Aug-14
Ready and raring to go got five whitetail doe tags, two whitetail buck tags, one Mule deer tag, one bear tag and one mt goat tag

Let the killing and tagging begin!

25-Aug-14
I am so ready!

25-Aug-14

wibuckwatch's embedded Photo
wibuckwatch's embedded Photo
Ready!! Opening day hunt already planned!! I found a nice oak flat on some public.. looking forward to a break from real life for a few hours! Picture not from said oak flat...FYI

30-Aug-14
Certainly ready. I've got all of my prime stands hung and pruned and would like to get another couple in place yet, but will depend on weather and schedule next week. I've been shooting a doz. arrows each evening from elevated position for a month now. "Planning" to draw blood opening weekend, but cannot recall in my 24 years of hunting when that ever happened outside a doe or two!

Good luck to all. Aim small-miss small... -duke

30-Aug-14
I would love to go opener - Years back I shot a 10 point on opening day. THAT was a long season!

Shooting several does later on was good, but love that rut and having mu archery tag in the back pocket!

Those that go for the opener - Good Luck!

31-Aug-14
Well I'm ready. My daughter and I got all the stands double checked and trails brushed yesterday. I found out last week that my shoulder injury won't require surgery. Lowered the poundage on the bow, resighted and all is good. I'm very happy I don't have to go to a crossbow. Now if things don't slow down at work, I won't be able to get out until October.

31-Aug-14
I'm ready. A few stands up. Clothes washed. Broadheads sharp. Need a license and Sept 13th. Always love the opener.

31-Aug-14
Rut - That is good news, good luck to you.... me I have to trout fish, till the end, then I hunt.....

I raised a big brown this year, twice on the Brule, in a spot, and I know he is over 25 inches.....

I know I could get him on a deep crank or rapala at night, but I want to get him on a fly......

Me and that trout are getting to know each other pretty well,,,,,,

01-Sep-14
RutNut...GLAD to hear that the shoulder doesn't need the knife. Mine DID heal fast enough to shoot a boar in Ontario and I'm heading to northern Wisconsin on Tuesday. Took a while and many thanks to the guys at A-1 in Hudson to lower the draw weight on the bow so I could gradually increase the weight to what I'm used to. Good Hunting-LC

01-Sep-14
razor, I understand the trout fishing thing. I used to never even think about bow hunting until I couldn't trout fish anymore.

lc, good to hear your shoulder is still doing well. The guys at A-1 are the best. Good luck up north.

02-Sep-14
Rut - Good news on the shoulder! Now go get em'!!

06-Sep-14
Weather report for the upcoming week is calling for high pressure with falling temps.

07-Sep-14
Looks like I have to find the warmer clothes for opening morning. Temps in the upper 30s in the valley. Some big bucks will be shot this weekend. Can't wait!!!

07-Sep-14
I will spend the opening weekend in FL shooting alligator and pigs. Daughters will be out with their bows in WI. Very ready, problem is this time of the year does not last nearly long enough.

07-Sep-14
Good luck to all...... My best buddy Rocky died June 4th, best grouse dog I ever owned....... My friends who are professional trainers, and own a well known Wis Kennel, surprised me.......

They said, hey Mike, here is "Chase", a 3 year old trained lab, they used as a guide dog.......

Take him, he needs a home, go be his buddy and go hunt........

I will be chaseing the birds,,,,,, all is right again

Never owned a lab, so its always nice to have something different......

07-Sep-14
Nice friends razor! Best wishes for your time with Chase.

08-Sep-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I still can't belive how many people skip opening weekend when the bucks are totally relaxed. What's not to like about the short hide of an early September buck?

I shouldn't complain, it's more deer for me to chase in November.

Hate to miss it but being knee deep in elk season is a good enough excuse for me. Have to make amends for missing a nice 6x6 last Friday.

08-Sep-14

NovemberMadman's embedded Photo
NovemberMadman's embedded Photo
+1 YZF. I've seen too many people do too much talking and not enough doing in my day and before they know it they can't hunt because of whatever reason. I'm always ready! Just knocked this buff down a week ago in AZ so bring on the WY elk season next and as soon as that's done I'll be in a tree. Life is short, hunt hard!!

08-Sep-14
Nov. Madman was that in the Kaibab north of the Grand Canyon. If so, it had to be the Governors tag? Pretty penny for that tag, over 10K? Nice bison. Looks like the North Kaibab or was it a private deal?

09-Sep-14
No, I can't afford those Gov tags!! It is on the Kaibab, Unit 12A West. You basically hunt right along the line fence of the Grand Canyon Nat. Park and catch them crossing back and forth. This was a cow tag as that is the only thing I'd be able to draw in my lifetime!! I drew it with only two points. Unfortunately for me I can only shoot one Buff in AZ in my lifetime so I'm done forever. If anybody wants any info I will give you all I have. There's never been a better time to tag a buff (even if it's a cow) in AZ. Their numbers are almost out of control and the car/buff collisions are turning into a real problem.

09-Sep-14
Awesome kill NM! I'd love to read the story sometime.

Perhaps AZ could take a few WI wolves from us.

09-Sep-14
ready for sure. prepared not so much.....I have not shot nearly enough for this season to start so soon.

09-Sep-14
dbl lung, just get a crossbow, sight it in and your good to go. No needless practicing with a crossbow, that was one of the main selling points.

09-Sep-14
Nov. I am very familiar with the area. The kaibab is spectacular and used to be a great OTC mule deer hunt. Like the rest of the west, they changed it to a draw and that really sucks.

09-Sep-14
Back on track, let me see? Bow, arrows, quiver, clean hunting cloths boots, unscented tampons (white bullets) and a fresh bottle of Tinks. Yep, I'm ready. If any of you come across about 3 or 4 bulbous tampons hanging in trees, they were not left by a nymphomaniac. It is probably one of my old hunting spots. Good luck to all.

09-Sep-14
10 you forgot your deer calls. Never leave home without them.

10-Sep-14
Yes and no. Camo needs to be washed, I wanted to buy 6 new aluminum hunting arrows but the wife and kid evidently needed the money more that I did. I do plan on being on a oak island waiting to fill my forest doe tag right away since there is no more meat in the freezer. Been practicing, still having to overcome Target Panic every year sucks, but I shoot through it. Climber is ready.

10-Sep-14
live2hunt, didn't you hear? According to Zinger target panic is a mythical thing, you just need to will yourself to hit where you want.

10-Sep-14
I wish he could have told me that 30 years ago.

11-Sep-14
Target panic is definately not a mythical thing! I think almost everyone has dealt with it at one time or another. I know I have personally battled with it, especially during winter league shooting spots.

The best way I have found to fix target panic is to simply stand about three feet away from a target, draw back (with an arrow loaded obviously), close your eyes and just practice squeeeeeezing. Repeat that about 50 times and it usually helps a lot. As soon as you quit worrying about releasing the arrow and focus more on aiming, target panic should disappear. Shooting a back tension release has also helped a lot of guys I know get rid of it.

Give it a try, maybe it will help!

11-Sep-14
Knowing I have it, shooting close, drawing and anchoring without releasing all helps the problem. Annoying yes, but I shoot through it now. When I first got it, that was bad, real bad. It comes from shooting too much at spot targets and getting tired but not quitting.

11-Sep-14
Yeah, spot shooting is a very good way to perfect your form, but that can happen.

Try releasing the arrow with your eyes closed. It worked for me, granted that was almost 10 years ago.

Good luck this year!

11-Sep-14
With the drop in temperature, my neck seems swollen, the top of my mellon is real itchy and, I made a scrape before getting in the truck this morning. Only about 40 hours to go!

11-Sep-14
Have you been peeing on the inside of your legs too? HAHA!

11-Sep-14
Try releasing the arrow with your eyes closed.

Ya, after the incident I promised I wouldn't do that anymore.

11-Sep-14
"Have you been peeing on the inside of your legs too?"

No, but sniffing every gals butt has got to stop.

11-Sep-14
HAHA, I got that lip curling thing going too.

12-Sep-14
Should be an awesome opening day. I've never been so ready. Good luck and shoot straight!

12-Sep-14

MoBioBowman's embedded Photo
MoBioBowman's embedded Photo
I can't think of doing anything else... I'm 40 and have only been hunting for a short time (this is my 4th year). I have two little kiddos and want to pass this skill on to my little-ones when they are old enough. I've got a few more years to get competent before my son is old enough. Hoping to get my first buck this year - wish me luck! I enjoy reading everyone's posts, helps me learn.

12-Sep-14
Got a letter from the DNR saying I am selected to do a field survey of wildlife for each day I hunt. Let me see, artificially increase the number of wolf sightings so the harvest quota goes up. Packs running everywhere!

Artificially increase the number of coyote sightings.

Make sure I log seeing a bear every time I go out so they increase the bear kill permit quota, and artificially suppress the deer sightings so they take 77 M out of a Metro Unit. Oh yeah, say there is an elk behind every tree so they actually have a first season and a white man can shoot one.

If the DNR expects the truth on wolves, coyotes, bear and deer, they sent the survey to the wrong guy. They have B.S'd us for years, now it is time to give a little back. Anything to help future whitetail numbers!

12-Sep-14

It is no wonder why you don't believe the DNR if you can't tell the truth yourself.

12-Sep-14
LOL

13-Sep-14
Ready set gooooo! Stay safe and good luck!

13-Sep-14
The season has been open for 15 minutes and I have yet to see a deer. This is the worst season ever. I gotta blame someone.

Disclaimer: I am sitting in my house having coffee not hunting at this time due to other obligations today. In other words, I am joking.

Please enjoy the hunting and be safe.

13-Sep-14
I did get my clothes washed. I hung them out to dry tues night. Go figure, they were still wet this AM, hopfully the rain will stop for awhile now. Wedding this afternoon, hopfully tomorrow eav I can fill my doe tag and take some pressure off about no venison in the freezer. Then, concentrate on finding bucks.

• Sitka Gear