CTCrow 24-Aug-14
soapdish 27-Aug-14
CTCrow 27-Aug-14
CTCrow 27-Aug-14
treesitter 27-Aug-14
CJD437 27-Aug-14
The Dark Knight 27-Aug-14
22-Aug-14
My kids 6, 5, and 3 all want to go hunting with me this year. My youngest, I will probably just take for a walk through the woods in my back yard a couple of times, but my 5 and 6 year old really wanna go. I took them scouting with me and we walked around woods for about 1.5 hrs. They were tired after 45 min. What do you all suggest doing with them? Maybe buying a blind, so they can move around a little inside and we can talk quietly? They are way too loud walking around but they are learning. Looking for suggestions. Planning definitely on a short hunt with them separately. Appreciate the input. Are there any rules/laws with taking kids? They won't actually be hunting, just tagging along.

22-Aug-14
All I can say from experience is that you should not expect to see a deer let alone kill one. The kids attention spans are very short.

If you get a blind expect them to fall asleep. I think I would take them scouting or just walking and sitting every so often, and tell them you are hunting. Get them all decked out in camo and paint their faces...really get them thinking they are true hunters. Let them rattle and blow on the grunt tube. Keep them moving.

Then gather them up and head for the car. They'll always remember that. The deer hunting can come later when they grow up a bit more

Good luck and you're a good dad to get your kids involved so early!

22-Aug-14
Took my daughter last year who was6. She made fun of me because we never saw a deer but had a good time. Early season, evening in a blind. Easy access in and out. Cell phone with some kid apps was helpful. Deer calls, binos when things were slow. Can't wait for this season. Took my son scouting last year when he was 4. Every time we got in the woods he had to take a piss.

24-Aug-14

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Take them goose/duck hunting. No need to be quiet until the birds come in. This was my son at about 5 or so. He was so proud to show Mom the bird I shot.

24-Aug-14
I never killed anything when the kids were little. Crow hunting is also good. Lots of fun and don't need to be quiet.

27-Aug-14
I started taking my two kids when they were around 3. First time it was mostly a walk with a shot gun, followed by a walk with a fifteen minute sit on the edge of a field. As they got older, around 7-8. I put up a two person tree stand about 15 feet from my hang on. You just have to ease them in. Hunts got a few minutes longer each time. My oldest is now twelve and can sit for up to two hours (quietly) on some of the coldest days. He once called in a 6pt within 10 yards while making his own doe bleat sound during bow season. I missed, that's another story. Another spot I made a ground blind for him just below my stand a few feet away. It's like having eyes in the back of your head. My youngest has trouble sitting like that as of now. All though he did take a crap out of a tree stand, that's a really funny story. Kid found out a second use for a sock. So he likes to go goose hunting instead. I wouldn't say it was easy by any means. Yes we saw deer. Some probably saw us first. I missed some, which they won't let me forget. We got some together. It is a bond that we share that many Father/Sons never get to experience. Enjoy.

27-Aug-14

CTCrow's MOBILE embedded Photo

Start them young.

27-Aug-14

27-Aug-14
I started to bring my son hunting with me when he as 6

yrs old.

Duck hunting for about two hours was long enough. Early season before it got cold. He would wear ear

protection ofcourse, and his gameboy kept him

entertained when no birds were moving.

As he grew older he would walk behind me pheasant

hunting, once or twice a season was enough. At 10 he

received a bb gun for christmas and learned gun saftey

and basic marksmanship.

At 12 he took the state hunting course, and I bought

him a Mossberg pump with a youth stock and he was

dropping ducks that first year. When he was 16 I took

him on a guided hunt on his birthday for his first

deer.

He's not a die hard like me but we still enjoy

fishing trips and an occasional hunt together when time

allows.

Take them out young, make hunting and fishing part

of their lives. Eating game and learning how to prepare

it. I taught them to respect the game we

kill, and if we don't eat it we don't kill it.

These are some of my fondest memories, worth every

minute.

27-Aug-14
Been there, done that! If you are intent on deer hunting then absolutley use a blind. I took my son at a young age and he fell asleep everytime so I decided to take him squirrel hunting which we still do today. The season opens Sep 1 to Sep 30 and then again on Oct 19th (i think). You could also try pheasant hunting. The state stocks quite a bit throughout the season and its alot of fun even without a dog! Just keep them out in the woods and off those evil video games!

27-Aug-14
Thanks everyone!!!

• Sitka Gear